Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,852 members, 7,862,784 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:21 AM

Tony Blair Makes Qualified Apology For Iraq War Ahead Of Chilcot Report - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Tony Blair Makes Qualified Apology For Iraq War Ahead Of Chilcot Report (402 Views)

Man Brutalizes His Pregnant Wife Ahead Of Valentine's Day Over Gambling. Photos / Pastor Tony Obo Arrested In Calabar For Killing A Child For Ritual (Photos) / Anambra Massacre: Accused Escoba Demand Public Apology For False Accusation[vid] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tony Blair Makes Qualified Apology For Iraq War Ahead Of Chilcot Report by yazach: 5:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
Former British PM admits ‘mistakes’ and conflict’s role in rise of Islamic State but defends armed intervention in 2003

Blair, who will be aware of what Chilcot is planning to say about him in the long-awaited report into the Iraq war, moved to pre-empt its criticisms in an interview with CNN. He told Zakaria: “I apologise for the fact that the intelligence we received was wrong.

“I also apologise for some of the mistakes in planning and, certainly, our mistake in our understanding of what would happen once you removed the regime.”

But the former prime minister made clear that he still felt he made the right decision in backing the US invasion of Iraq to remove Saddam Hussein. He said: “I find it hard to apologise for removing Saddam.”

Blair also made light of the claims that he should stand trial on war crimes charges and defended his policy of what he used to describe as liberal interventionism. The former prime minister contrasted what he described as “my ‘crime’” – the removal of Saddam – and the civil war in Syria.

“We have stood back and we, in the west, bear responsibility for this – Europe most of all. We’ve done nothing. That’s a judgment of history I’m prepared to have.” The former prime minister indicated that he saw merit in the argument that the Iraq war was to blame for the rise of Islamic State (Isis). “I think there are elements of truth in that,” he said when asked whether the Iraq invasion had been the “principal cause” of the rise of Isis.

He added: “Of course you can’t say those of us who removed Saddam in 2003 bear no responsibility for the situation in 2015.”

Nicola Sturgeon, the Scottish first minister, responded by saying that the “Blair spin operation” had swung into action as Sir John Chilcot prepares to set out a timetable for the publication of his report.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/25/tony-blair-sorry-iraq-war-mistakes-admits-conflict-role-in-rise-of-isis

(1) (Reply)

Six Tasty Reasons To Get Android Marshmallow Marc Saltzman / WKBL배당보는곳 「∂」 Sos89.com까똑: Хаzа 「∂」 여자농구문자중계 하키 경기 결과 / Fake Pastors Now Devise New Method To Swindle Teenagers In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.