Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,245 members, 7,815,349 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? (2586 Views)

My Housewarming And Birthday Celebration (pictures) / The Good Or Bad Things That Happen To You In 2012? / The Best Of Halloween Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by mycutiepie(f): 9:19pm On Oct 30, 2005
Halloween is so special to kids outside Africa rolleyes . I had think it was just a mere dress up celebration until people explained to me their views on the celebration. So Nairalanders, I will like to read your views on Halloween, do you celebrate it? is it good or bad? any issues or things attached to it? pour out all you know about it plsssssss
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by icingbaby(f): 9:36pm On Oct 30, 2005
I don't celebrate halloween, because it a bad thing. is like saying that you like devil or wicked people sad
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by damygurl(f): 1:15am On Oct 31, 2005
i don't care one way or d other as long as i get my candy. some people mostly nigerians who live in da states think it's evil and bad. some churches r against it too
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by WesleyanA(f): 3:15am On Oct 31, 2005
halloween might be special to some kids outside Africa but not "so" special. cheesy. maybe christmas or summer. now those are really special times. grin
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by casper(m): 2:31pm On Oct 31, 2005
hallowen is a celebration of witches andd wizards so what are you happy about? uhhh?
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by queen2(f): 6:34pm On Oct 31, 2005
I dont support celebrating Halloween
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by sade(f): 6:57pm On Oct 31, 2005
The festival is for Witches and Wizards and I dont see anyting good in it.Infact the mask is always scary.
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by Z4M4eva(f): 11:55am On Nov 22, 2005
I really don't know, kids actually find it quite fun, so... undecided
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by Destiny6(f): 10:13pm On Dec 13, 2005
I Dont see anything good in it because i believe it simply is a celebration for juju, witches and witches. Kids celebrate only for one reason, which is for the trick or treating!!! Their parents probably dont know the real reason to celebrate Halloween, they just like to be in peace while the kids are out trick or treatin!!!!
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by WesleyanA(f): 10:28pm On Dec 13, 2005
I don't think it's bad.

"The custom of Halloween was brought to America in the 1840's by Irish immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine. At that time, the favorite pranks in New England included tipping over outhouses and unhinging fence gates. The custom of trick-or-treating is thought to have originated not with the Irish Celts, but with a ninth-century European custom called souling. On November 2, All Souls Day, early Christians would walk from village to village begging for "soul cakes," made out of square pieces of bread with currants. The more soul cakes the beggars would receive, the more prayers they would promise to say on behalf of the dead relatives of the donors. At the time, it was believed that the dead remained in limbo for a time after death, and that prayer, even by strangers, could expedite a soul's passage to heaven."

"although some cults may have adopted Halloween as their favorite "holiday," the day itself did not grow out of evil practices. It grew out of the rituals of Celts celebrating a new year, and out of Medieval prayer rituals of Europeans. And today, even many churches have Halloween parties or pumpkin carving events for the kids. After all, the day itself is only as evil as one cares to make it."

http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by Damest09(f): 8:55pm On May 03, 2006
Halloween is the celebration of evil.
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by SIBLI06(m): 8:48am On May 04, 2006
Lighten up peeps! It's only fun!!! I don't care to know how and why it originated, all I know is that kids all over the world love it.

If it makes so many thousands of people have fun and smile what is the problem?

For those who are intrested see the story of Halloween below

The Story of Halloween (Source - http://www.scottishradiance.com/halstory.htm)
Halloween is one of the oldest holidays with origins going back thousands of years. The holiday we know as Halloween has had many influences from many cultures over the centuries. From the Roman's Pomona Day, to the Celtic festival of Samhain, to the Christian holidays of All Saints and All Souls Days.

Hundreds of years ago in what is now Great Britain and Northern France, lived the Celtics. The Celtics worshipped nature and had many gods, with the sun god as their favorite. It was "he" who commanded their work and their rest times, and who made the earth beautiful and the crops grow.

The Celtics celebrated their New Year on November 1st. It was celebrated every year with a festival and marked the end of the "season of the sun" and the beginning of "the season of darkness and cold."

On the eve before their new year (October 31), it was believed that all the dead people were called together . The dead would take different forms, with the bad spirits taking the form of animals. The most evil taking the form of cats.

On October 31st after the crops were all harvested and stored for the long winter the cooking fires in the homes would be extinguished. The Druids, the Celtic priests, would meet in the hilltop in the dark oak forest (oak trees were considered sacred). The Druids would light new fires and offer sacrifices of crops and animals. As they danced around the the fires, the season of the sun passed and the season of darkness would begin.

When the morning arrived the Druids would give an ember from their fires to each family who would then take them home to start new cooking fires. These fires would keep the homes warm and free from evil spirits.

The November 1st festival was named after Samhain and honored both the sun god and Samhain. The festival would last for 3 days. Many people would parade in costumes made from the skins and heads of their animals. This festival would become the first Halloween.

During the first century the Romans invaded Britain. They brought with them many of their festivals and customs. One of these was the festival know as Pomona Day, named for their goddess of fruits and gardens. It was also celebrated around the 1st of November. After hundreds of years of Roman rule the customs of the Celtic's Samhain festival and the Roman Pomona Day mixed becoming 1 major fall holiday.

The next influence came with the spread of the new Christian religion throughout Europe and Britain. In the year 835 AD the Roman Catholic Church would make November 1st a church holiday to honor all the saints. This day was called All Saint's Day, or Hallowmas, or All Hallows. Years later the Church would make November 2nd a holy day. It was called All Souls Day and was to honor the dead. It was celebrated with big bonfires, parades, and people dressing up as saints, angels and devils.

But the spread of Christianity did not make people forget their early customs. On the eve of All Hallows, Oct. 31, people continued to celebrate the festival of Samhain and Pomona Day. Over the years the customs from all these holidays mixed. October 31st became known as All Hallow Even, eventually All Hallow's Eve, Hallowe'en, and then - Halloween.

The Halloween we celebrate today includes all of these influences, Pomona Day's apples, nuts, and harvest, the Festival of Sanhain's black cats, magic, evil spirits and death, and the ghosts, skeletons and skulls from All Saint's Day and All Soul's Day.
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by babymine(f): 11:44am On May 04, 2006
Bad celebration.
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by luvlymoi(f): 11:25pm On Aug 03, 2006
na them sabi. i dont celebrate it but i eat alot of candy. yummy!!
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by naijadiva2(f): 3:34pm On Aug 04, 2006
halloween is bad and i guess the reason why africans don't celebrate it is because the live in a place where they see and know what devil worship is, so why celebrate a holiday like that. i personally don't celebrate it.
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by Izzo(m): 2:26am On Aug 05, 2006
I am not in support of celebrating halloween ; cos at first i thought it was just for putting on scary costumes and having fun until ppl started using it for other purposes not intended for i.e. taking ppls lives.
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by dondele(m): 2:22am On Aug 07, 2006
i like it. gives me the chance to scare the shiit out of people. haha haha haha hahahahahaha
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by lauryn(f): 4:22am On Aug 08, 2006
This is the devil's birthday
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by dondele(m): 12:19pm On Aug 08, 2006
and so?
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by lauryn(f): 1:25pm On Aug 08, 2006
Its the devil's bday, so we go out to celebrate and girate grin grin grin grin trick/treat? tongue
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by Byrone: 7:17pm On Jun 12, 2009
candy? candy?! where!?!
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by tboyjnr(m): 9:38pm On Jun 12, 2009
I think some of you might need to do a little research about the holiday before scrutinizing it
Re: Halloween- Is It A Good or Bad Celebration? by tpiah11: 1:32am On Oct 27, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Summec Fireman Generator And Table Top Fridge For Sale in port harcourt / Funny MMM Memes / Ogboni Fraternity, All In Secrecy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.