Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,674 members, 7,955,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:11 AM

Much Ado About Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Much Ado About Biafra (812 Views)

Fayose On Bike During Road Inspection In Ado-Ekiti (photos) / What FFK Said About Biafra On Twitter / What Fayose Wore To Visit Ewi Of Ado-Ekiti (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Much Ado About Biafra by djPyper: 9:14pm On Oct 25, 2015
Okechukwu Jonnwakalo

So recent Biafran protests have got me thinking, but I have been skeptical about airing my views because of perceived reactions.

DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE PERSONAL VIEWS, AND I, IN NO WAY CLAIM SUPREMACY OF KNOWLEDGE. FOR THE "GREYS" WHO THINK I AM TOO YOUNG TO SPEAK OF THIS SUBJECT, PLEASE PERMIT THIS CHILD TO SPEAK, THEN CORRECT HIM IF HE IS WRONG. FOR IGNORANCE CAN ONLY BE KNOWN IF IT IS AIRED, AND CAN ONLY BE CORRECTED IF IT IS KNOWN.

My points are as follows:

1. According to worldometers the median age of Nigeria is 17.8, hence an "average " did not experience the civil war.

2.This is the age statistics of Nigeria as at 2014 is as follows:
0-14 years: 43.2%
15-24 years: 19.3%
25-54 years: 30.5%
55-64 years: 3.9%
65 years and over: 3.1% (indexmundi.com)
In simpler statistics 93% of Nigerians were 5 and below in 1967.

3. According to Wikipedia, youth age range is between 18-35. Hence no present day Nigerian youth saw the civil war.

My first question: since over 90% percent of us neither saw the civil war nor participated actively, and our youth were born 10 years after the war, where is all the hate and agitation from?

4. The major driving force of Biafra is the igboland, but the Biafran map includes states like Cross river, Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom state. This makes Biafra a culturally diverse state. I am igbo and i currently live in Akwa Ibom state, and we share no similarity in custom or language. How then can we live together as "one Biafra" when we can't tolerate the cultural diversity of Nigeria.

5. The Igbo tribe would become the majority tribe in Biafra, while the others who constitute the oil producing states hence the 'rich boys' would become minority. "How can the wealth most especially that from oil be distributed, when the majority is in power and the minority have the resource?"
So therefore, a time may come when the "minority" may decide to be free, because no man wants to live in another man's shadow.

6. Igbos are generally regarded as traders, and the lifeblood of their markets like Onitsha Main market and Ariaria international market is found in Lagos seaport where most of the goods come from. In Biafra, Lagos becomes another country hence tax and import/ export levies would increase drastically and logistics would become more difficult.
The other option is to trade via the Calabar Port, Delta Port or Rivers Port at Port Harcourt, and Onne. These ports are only found in the non-igbo states, hence another potential challenge.

7. What happens to Biafrans that have their livelihood rooted deeply in non biafran states? What happens to the igbos that constitute the majority of Alaba international market?
Would naturalization take place or would they liquidate assets and return to Biafra and start afresh?

8. Finally, the question of rulership. Who rules Biafra?
Currently, most Igbo people especially those in Abia and Imo state are dissatisfied with the condition of their states. They complain of bad government, massive looting, poor infrastructures etc, and they are currently ruled by Igbo governors.
If Biafra is formed who would rule then?
I believe it would be the same people that they complain of, and as you can see the cycle of pain and complaints would continue.

Problems are fixed by inward reflections not outward projections and blame shifting.

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME, FOR A CHILD WHO DID NOT SEE THE WAR HAS SPOKEN.

Source: okechukwu Jonnwakolo (Facebook)

1 Like

Re: Much Ado About Biafra by missdebs(f): 9:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
correct talk @ op
Re: Much Ado About Biafra by Tallesty1(m): 9:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
Who said that we can't tolerate the cultural diversity of Nigeria?

Born to rule mentality is nobody's culture and that's our problem.
Re: Much Ado About Biafra by nwachike(m): 9:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
the Biafra have being tolorating the so call Nigeria ,befor the war and after the war, and they still look the igbos as a commonals in the country theyey claim to be one Nigeria,. Talking about culture,do no that the Biafra are the once who respect other poeple culture, hw many tribe in Nigeria respect the culture of the Biafra.the Biafra lives in every part of the world that alone shows that they respect poeple s culture and tradition,.the so call Nigerian believes that they are born to rule,that why we want to be on our own. So get it clear.
Re: Much Ado About Biafra by Topman0001(m): 9:57pm On Oct 25, 2015
Op u have spoken well, its a very intelligent thinking. I washed a video "The real story of Nigeria" i saw the killing and massacer during the civil war, t'was really deadly, i watched the hatred between the hausas and the ibos, and the yorubas in between. Nobody will want that kind of terrible civil war to recure. Let's plan on how to re-engeneer the basterdised system which some people made to be rather than creating a factorial war.
Re: Much Ado About Biafra by DaBullIT(m): 12:13am On Oct 26, 2015
Topman0001:
Op u have spoken well, its a very intelligent thinking. I washed a video "The real story of Nigeria" i saw the killing and massacer [/b]during the civil war, t'was really deadly, i watched the hatred between the hausas and the ibos, and the yorubas in between. Nobody will want that kind of terrible civil war to recure. Let's plan on how to [b]re-engeneer the basterdised system which some people made to be rather than creating a factorial war.

Even your gbosa , gbua ,ratatata is enough to start a huge wat
Re: Much Ado About Biafra by IPOB123london: 12:19am On Oct 26, 2015
Biafra is more than a country

thank you very much

in the end Biafra will come

then there will be no monkey or baboon like u have now
Re: Much Ado About Biafra by Topman0001(m): 12:34am On Oct 26, 2015
DaBullIT:

Even your gbosa , gbua ,ratatata is enough to start a huge (wat)
Attention seeker, you have been noticed. As your name describes you. The bull must be a big animal.
Re: Much Ado About Biafra by DaBullIT(m): 3:30am On Oct 26, 2015
I wrote that on purpose to mock you grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oooobiii
Topman0001:

Attention seeker, you have been noticed. As your name describes you. The bull must be a big animal.

(1) (Reply)

David Mark Missing In Action Since The Saraki/pdp Senate Presidency Coup Saga / A Twist In The Ipob One Million Man March / VIDEO Arrested IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu Claims They R Producing Bombs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.