Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance (1253 Views)

Senators React To Obasanjo, Babangida And Abdulsalami's Meeting In Minna / Ikpeazu Delivers 'Made-In-Aba' Shoes To Obasanjo (Photos) / Saraki To Obasanjo: I Will Respond To Your Letter Formally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by golfg(f): 7:05am On Oct 26, 2015
For many years there has been no lost love between former president Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and Nobel Laureate Prof. Wole Soyinka. In his new book titled 'Interventions: Between Defective Memory and the Public Lie – A Personal Odyssey in the Republic of Liars' presented in Abeokuta, Ogun State on Saturday, Soyinka criticised Obasanjo and described the former president as an overgrown child of circumstance.

Soyinka while speaking said he owed it a responsibility to fundamentally respond to lies that Obasanjo allegedly told against him in his latest biography, titled, My Watch, described in Interventions as Three-Carat Watch. Soyinka, in the book also critically took on the likes of former Osun State Governor, Olagunsoye Oyinlola; and veteran critic, Prof. Chinweizu, wrote, quoting a Yoruba proverb, “The child that swears his mother will not sleep must also prepare for a prolonged, sleepless infancy. So, let it be with Okikiola, the overgrown child of circumstance.

"I brainstormed with him over meals both when he was military Head of State – in Dodan Barracks and in his home, Ota – for some time after he left office and early in Aso Rock at his ‘second coming.’ Today, it is a different situation. If he offered to host me, I would wait until he had first swallowed a morsel from the same dish.

“I had fully attuned myself to the fact that our Owu retiree soldier and prolific author is an infliction that those of us who share the same era and nation space must learn to endure. However, it does appear to me that there is no end to this individual’s capacity for infantile mischief, and for needless, mind-boggling provocations, such as his recent ‘literary’ intrusion on my peace."

The Nobel Laureate questioned the godliness to which Obasanjo professed: “Our author invokes God tirelessly, without provocation, without necessity and without justification, perhaps preemptively, but does he really believe in such an entity? Does our home-bred Double-O-Seven believe in anything outside his own Omnipotence?

"Could he possibly have mistaken the Christian exhortation – ‘Watch and Pray’ – for his own private inclination to ‘Watch and Prey? This is a seasoned predator on others’ achievements. He preys on their names, their characters, their motivations, their true lives; preys on gossip and preys on contributions to collective undertakings – even preys on their identities, substituting his own where possible.”

http://dawntodusknews.com/soyinka-to-obasanjo-you-are-an-overgrown-child-of-circumstance/

1 Like

Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by Nicolars(m): 7:11am On Oct 26, 2015
Lol
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by Demmocrats(m): 7:12am On Oct 26, 2015
Two old foes that fail to bury there grudges
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by Opinedecandid(m): 7:15am On Oct 26, 2015
O yes he is, I concur.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by tuniski: 7:26am On Oct 26, 2015
Until the likes of OBJ leave our national space for new generation, we will continue to crawl. We have buhari from same fabric now as president. What a retrogression!

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by Khd95(m): 7:32am On Oct 26, 2015
Hehehehehehehe.
Imagine OBJ dy play d role of 007grin grin grin
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by oloyedayo(m): 7:35am On Oct 26, 2015
These old men should stop deceiving themselves, they are supposed to be examples to younger ones but instead of being good examples they are bad one. They keep teaching us to abuse ourselves instead of being friend.
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by ephemm(m): 7:41am On Oct 26, 2015
Wole Soyinka is no longer an elder in Egbaland he sold his birthright to Gbenga Daniel when the latter was governor.

Àgbà yín kò to ilé
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by ishiamu(m): 8:20am On Oct 26, 2015
Obj is a beast. He will end up being a fool also like the dullard
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by bjbukzy(m): 8:38am On Oct 26, 2015
watch and prey ke? that says it all
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by LastSurvivor: 8:40am On Oct 26, 2015
Click like if u think Soyinka should be Obasanjos wife or share the other way round

Old talkatives
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 26, 2015
ephemm:
Wole Soyinka is no longer an elder in Egbaland he sold his birthright to Gbenga Daniel when the latter was governor.

Àgbà yín kò to ilé

Little wonder OBJ referred to him as a better wine connoisseur and a more successful Aparo Hunter grin

BTW, I am not supporting OBJ, they're birds of a feather.
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:09am On Oct 26, 2015
I want to be like both OBJ and Soyinka together. But to be like OBJ seems like being a devil..

I wish I cld be one
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by alertbest(m): 9:19am On Oct 26, 2015
Obj and Soyinka......still can't get the cause of their rancor.
Publicity stunt? No,cause they are both popular already.
Means to sell their books? Maybe, cos people will want to buy My Watch so as to know what Obj wrote about Soyinka and vice versa.

If you have any other reason, lets know.
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by tomakint: 9:29am On Oct 26, 2015
oloyedayo:
These old men should stop deceiving themselves, they are supposed to be examples to younger ones but instead of being good examples they are bad one. They keep teaching us to abuse ourselves instead of being friend.
If you are bad you probably learned it from somewhere and not from these two men.....you should be happy that someone who knew Obasanjo well is telling him some home truths.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by emmasege: 11:21am On Oct 26, 2015
These two elders are nothing but a disgrace to Egba land and Yoruba nation. Soyinka could still command some respect at least, but that Owu man is "agba iya" patapata. Those assertions by Soyinka perfectly describe Baba Iyabo.
Re: Soyinka To Obasanjo: You Are An Overgrown Child Of Circumstance by mindtricks: 1:03am On Oct 27, 2015
Demmocrats:
Two old foes that fail to bury there grudges

Did you say two old fools?

No, I think one old fool, one wise man.

Don't ask me which is which.

(1) (Reply)

Woman Scooping Fuel From Fallen Tanker With Baby On Her Back / The Match For Biafra: The Making Of The First West African Spring! / SHOCKING!! Gabonese President, Omar Bongo Reportedly Found To Be An Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.