Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,885 members, 7,824,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

#stand Up For Niger Delta, South South - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South (904 Views)

Buhari’s Plans For Niger Delta, Militants — Osinbajo / Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? / Senate To Suspend Two Senators Sworn In for Niger South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by amakaobiemeka: 3:13pm On Oct 26, 2015
The land grabbers have exploded with barcanista for standing up for his right.
A man they call brother is cursed by them for politely and respectfuly telling them no secession of niger delta land.
The support from them to niger delta was for land.
They have gradually brought their secession problem to rivers to muscle them with majority and numbers.
The moment they left their igbo states and brought their war to rivers, i knew it was a ploy to land the militants and incite ss to war with nigeria while hiding their state. Stand up 4 river. If they get ph, they got river, if they get river they get ss

3 Likes

Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by bettercreature(m): 3:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
amakaobiemeka:
A man they call brother is cursed by them for politely and respectfuly telling them no secession of niger delta land.
They have gradually brought their secession problem to rivers to muscle them with majority and numbers.
The moment they left their igbo states and brought their war to rivers, i knew it was a ploy to land the militants and incite ss to war with nigeria while hiding their state. Stand up 4 river. If they get ph, they got river, if they get river they get ss
We are solidly behind you

1 Like

Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by ELTON123(m): 3:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
Op you sure say u don chop afternoon food?

4 Likes

Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
we support Barcanista on this.

1 Like

Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 26, 2015
nlders sha
Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by zuchyblink(m): 3:37pm On Oct 26, 2015
amakaobiemeka:
Yorubas went mad when they saw Niger Delta leading the Biafran dream. Since then,they have concocted all sort of rubbish here on Nairaland to cover their shame.watever they say here remains Nairaland opinion. Igweocha is planning another protest.

5 Likes

Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by ROYALD(m): 4:35pm On Oct 26, 2015
shut up
Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by basilo101: 5:12pm On Oct 26, 2015
either u are igbo or ijaw or urhobo or efik, or ibibio. stop fooling around with ur stupi niger delta or south south
Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by LordAdam: 5:34pm On Oct 26, 2015
I cannot claim to know all details of the history of the indigenous groups in Nigeria. However, with the much I know, I will state the following.

Niger-Delta is the most diverse major region in Nigeria.

The Bini people affiliate with Yorubas. The old Bini empire may have been at loggerheads with the old Oyo empire. However, they share the same ancestry.

Cross-River and Akwa-Ibom may be tagged Niger-Delta, but they are well within the geographic location of historical biafra. And their people have fought on the side of Biafra.

Biafra can lay claim to the Ikwerre areas of Port Harcourt, although it wouldn't mean that they lay claim to Rivers as a state. Similarly, they may lay claim to Asaba even though they do not lay claim to Delta as a state.

The Urhobo-Isoko people point to different ancestries. They are generally tagged the Edoid people, but most clans trace their ancestors to Bini while others to Igbo (usually Anambra).

The Itsekiri people trace their ancestry to the Yorubas.

The Ijaws are a lot like the Igbos, not in ancestry or customs but in how quickly they colonize the land of their host. It is why they are proponents of the skewed representation that they are the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria, simply because they are present in Bayelsa, Delta, Rivers, and Ondo. In all states except Bayelsa (Lagos city has roughly 15 times the population in the whole state of Bayelsa), the Ijaw people share territory with other ethnic groups that significantly dwarf theirs. The title for fourth largest ethnic group is much fitted for either the Tiv, the Ibibio, the Urhobo-Isoko people.

It is thus safe to say that Niger-Delta has a region is much like Nigeria, united by imposing powers than by unity of purpose. Niger-Delta does not have a voice of unison to dictate if they would or would not join Biafra. It is left for the indigenous ethnic groups to make the call.

Currently, some groups are pioneering an attempt to actualize the goals of the Lower Niger Delta movement which is to form an enclave of South-South minorities, analogous to Biafra of the East, Arewa of the North, and Odua of the West. So the Biafrans can see why the Ijaws are grudging in their support.

Even so, with the strong militarization of the Ijaw ethnic group, it is safe to say that should Lower Niger Delta movement be actualized, all groups in the region will be surmounted by the Ijaws. The Ijaws have a replica of the born-to-rule mentality of the Hausa-Fulani, only so in the South-South.

The question for the minorities in the South-South is that a power tussle is raging between the Ijaws and Ibos in the region. If Biafra is actualized, I doubt an Ibibio man will ever become the President. Maybe a Vice-president but never the President.

If Lower Niger Delta is actualized, only Ijaws will hold the seat of power.

The minorities will have no say, and not even the supposedly large groups like the Urhobo-Isoko and Bini people will be able to turn the tide.

Don't believe me, look at the present tide.

1. Akwa Ibom has four major ethnic groups, the Ibibio, Annang, Eket, and Oron. Since 1999, the Ibibio people have held the state government.

2. Against all protests, in Rivers, only those of Igbo ancestry, call them Ikwerri, Ndoni, or whatever, have occupied the governorship position since 1999.

3. In Delta, the Itsekiri's have laid seige to the governorship position from 1999 till the recent election of Okowa. A bona-fide son of the Urhobo-Isoko, Delta's largest ethnic group--Chief Ogboru--has contested the seat every election year (5 times) without winning. Okowa is an attempt to appease the Anioma people rather than concede the position to other ethnic groups. After his eight years, we can expect power to return to the Itsekiri people.

Also, Biafra does not need Rivers. Akwa Ibom is the largest producer of Oil and Gas in Nigeria. It is why they receive the largest revenue allocation of all the states. The state is also clamoring for the ibaka sea port that would rival that in Port Harcourt. The state already has an International Airport. The state can very well become Biafra's connection with the sea.

Nigeria is a mess. Hausa-Fulanis, Yoruba, Biafrans, Ijaws, are all frauds. Everyone going in for their own interests. Give Nigeria regional government, and let us strengthen through diversity. Splitting the country is never going to be the solution.

Yorubas and Hausa-Fulanis are too egocentric to stay under one roof without resorting to a civil war. The South-South is too divided along ethnic lines to stay together not to talk about about joining Biafra. And I'd like to know how long the Ibibios will play second-fiddle to Igbos in Biafra.

At the moment, Biafra is an imagination. Unless there is a behind-the-scenes movement gearing up. Biafra does not enjoy the support of those that can make it happen. Kanu is like Ojukwu, trying to unilaterally make Biafra happen without getting all the right people on board first. We all can attest to how the first time played out. History repeats itself.

There is no One Nigeria. All ethnic groups should speak for themselves, not speaking under one umbrella region.

On this note, South-South or Niger Delta is only a means to an end for me. It will never be the mouthpiece of all the ethnic groups in the area. And I'll be damned if I condemned the descendants of my ethnic lineage to perpetual slavery under the Igbos or Ijaws in an unholy Union or Alliance.
Re: #stand Up For Niger Delta, South South by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 26, 2015
biafra loading

(1) (Reply)

PMB Anti-corruption War May Fail - Sani / ria / Buhar's Nnpc's Mega Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.