Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Thermostats, Do we really need them :) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Thermostats, Do we really need them :) (12546 Views)

The Thermostat In Your Vehicle. Do You Really Need It? / Car Accidents: Some Facts And Statistics You Really Need To Know. / Please Help; I Really Need Your Help Especially Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by femi4: 8:35am On Aug 29, 2016
d33types:

This post got me cracking.. It doesn't follow at all.. A laptop performs better in lower temperature but a car doesn't always.for cars there is an optimum temperature.not too high or low
Thank you. In laptops....fan runs always
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Livefreeordieha(m): 8:35am On Aug 29, 2016
I can tell you that without the intent to sound cocky or arrogant i think its very naive to agree with anyone to remove your thermostat..wakeup brothers/sisters NIGERIAN MECHANICS say very dumb things to you that you dont need the thermostat that the west uses it or installed it because of the extreme cold weather..FOUL FOUL FOUL!!!!during summer in most western countries is nothing compared to sokoto..they rise up to +50 degrees..and that lasts for about 3.5months..so you mean to tell me during this period they row on canoes or whatthe basic truth is this if you can define thermostat then you will never tolerate its removal from your machine...come to think of it the language this road sides mechanics even use..."oga/madam na dis oyinbo thing oo we go need comot am den e get d way i go juz line am direct 4u..na so all my customers wey dey ride tokunbo dey do am oo."this disgusts me because there is a reason why am exposed and it will only amount to a waste of knowledge and a slap on my age/experience if a suleiman can convince me to put my car at risk..until they can convince me otherwise i will never remove my thermostat,did i mention all the cars have had since 1998 till date i never consented to removing their thermostat and they never gave me a reason to..but at mechanic shops i always get entertained with all sorts of dramas..lol
Denn:
Thermostat facts...

100% water cools an engine better than most coolant composition.

However, ordinary water does not possess any rust inhibiting property. Coolant also contains ingredients that lubricate the water pump.

An engine without a thermostat will not allow coolant to stay in the radiator to get cooled well enough; this implies that the engine temperature gets hotter and hotter till the vehicle overheats if in traffic. Conversely, the engine gets too cold during highway driving and encourages carbon build-up over time. This is in addition to the excessive fuel consumption.

Using a car without thermostat is akin to putting on an airconditioner and heater on at the same time...you burn more energy to get the required temperature...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by femi4: 8:37am On Aug 29, 2016
FestacGirl:

i never talked about the laptop running best at cold or hot tempratures,
Laptops perform best at cold tempratures,

But when running some heavy heavy apps,
Sometimes, i have over 70tabs on chrome, minimised and also running a demanding game, using 90%cpu power and over 100% of my 16GB ram,

that laptop get's very hot and the fan starts spinning fast, But at the auto fan speed will never cool it down at such Load, it might reduce the temprature to 60-70degrees, but if i manually let the fan to 7, i get 48-54degrees,
Do you get my drift now , or you want me to open your head,

Auto fan control never exceeds 3400rpm but seting it manually will get you over 4600rpm....

And does that sound like a disadvantage? You are not making sense.

How dare you compare the cooling system of an electronic circuits to a combustion engine
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by FestacGirl(f): 10:23am On Aug 29, 2016
femi4:
And does that sound like a disadvantage? You are not making sense.

How dare you compare the cooling system of an electronic circuits to a combustion engine
You should read my post correctly,
Read again,
If you don't understand
Read again kiss
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by kuntash: 10:33am On Aug 29, 2016
Because Nigeria does import seemingly tropicalized vehicles to meet the weather challenges - and also since we don't manufacture cars we use here - its advisable to stick to the design of the manufacturer ..

same cars used here are found in Arizona -USA, Saudi Arabia, Brazil , these are places that share common climate with Nigeria-. WHY tamper with the thermostat ... a Capital NO for complete removal of thermostats for me .

rather vehicle users should expend that time to fix the car as designed , unless otherwise this is NOT possible, I can assure, if you are fortunate to meet a reliable mechanic, you would appreciate the design of the cooling system in an automobile .
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by nurey(m): 10:43am On Aug 29, 2016
To me, you can't compare the cooling system of a laptop to a car.
The laptop fan runs always true but at different speed, setting your fan to run manually at a high specific speed is disastrous to the fan. The system also has heat sinks to assist in heat dissipation from the system. No matter the game you are playing, once your system gets very hot and components may get damaged, it trips off (most notable in AMD BOARDS where it even tells you system is very when you try to switch it on). If you notice this, it's either you are over working your computer or your cooling components are faulty.

Now to that of a car, as we all know thermostat is a regulatory component as it has so many applications thermocouple in electric iron and bimetal strip in hot plate. Let's take electric iron, most of us have used one and for those that took theirs to kazeem for fixing you notice when the thermostat was removed, it's that time your shirts and trousers get smoched by the iron surface because the temperature regulator has been removed.

I have tested and trusted thermostat and my verdict is for it to stay in the engine whether the temperature is too hot or not a functional thermostat will do its work.

Overheating is not generally caused by thermostat alone, but a good investigation should be done, besides their are many thread on how to diagnose overheating DIY style
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Jola58: 11:16am On Aug 29, 2016
good write... it shows u are very sound in chemistry. specific heat capacity of water is constant
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by megama: 11:28am On Aug 29, 2016
FestacGirl:

In Laptops

I use a Lenovo Think Pad T440p,4th Gen I7 processor and an Nvidia Card
It runs cool and normal It comes with an auto fan thermostat,But it being a Business/Rugged Machine you're allowed to manage the fan speed
The processor has a heat limit of 100c anything above its going to get fried,

When i run games like Gta V, Mad Max, Far cry , My laptop starts to get Hot Ranging from 80-90C

The fan Can speed up to 5400rpm, but wont exceed 3000rpm
when i disable the fan thermostat and run the fan at it 5400rpm max speed , the laptops becomes cool even under 100% load but you can hear the fan noise.

smiley smiley smiley
Fucck Thermostats angry

In our everyday hot weather here in Nigeria

Where the sun is really crazy, imagine your fan having a thermostat angry angry, lols
We always set the control to run at 5(Max Speed) to cool our head

The Thermostat Has it's Pros And Cons
Even naija is never a hot country. Na ignorance dey kill us here. This is a nice topic. Never remove the thermostart of your new tokunbo car. If your car over heats. Go to qualified service center for diagnose. Thermostat can never cause your car to over heat. 100% of tokunbo vehicles in this country is being spoilt by. Road side quacks. Mechanics.
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Denn(m): 11:30am On Aug 29, 2016
Livefreeordieha:
I can tell you that without the intent to sound cocky or arrogant i think its very naive to agree with anyone to remove your thermostat..wakeup brothers/sisters NIGERIAN MECHANICS say very dumb things to you that you dont need the thermostat that the west uses it or installed it because of the extreme cold weather..FOUL FOUL FOUL!!!!during summer in most western countries is nothing compared to sokoto..they rise up to +50 degrees..and that lasts for about 3.5months..so you mean to tell me during this period they row on canoes or whatthe basic truth is this if you can define thermostat then you will never tolerate its removal from your machine...come to think of it the language this road sides mechanics even use..."oga/madam na dis oyinbo thing oo we go need comot am den e get d way i go juz line am direct 4u..na so all my customers wey dey ride tokunbo dey do am oo."this disgusts me because there is a reason why am exposed and it will only amount to a waste of knowledge and a slap on my age/experience if a suleiman can convince me to put my car at risk..until they can convince me otherwise i will never remove my thermostat,did i mention all the cars have had since 1998 till date i never consented to removing their thermostat and they never gave me a reason to..but at mechanic shops i always get entertained with all sorts of dramas..lol

Well said bros....but why did you quote my post when your response had no direct relationship to it.

wink
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Livefreeordieha(m): 11:49am On Aug 29, 2016
lol...no direct lmbao!!!well sorry but you got the message and many others too will...lol@no direct once again am in a rush to go out now b4 u go delay me funny person.. grin
Denn:

Well said bros....but why did you quote my post when your response had no direct relationship to it.

wink
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Elsquidme(m): 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2016
thermostat are very good in any heat sensitive electrical and electronic device and ICE engines. I will not recommend someone to remove his thermostat unless if the thermostat is faulty and cause the device to shutdown due to its malfunction and its removal will allow you use it incase of emergency. I will advise it should be replaced as soon as possible after its removal has serves its purpose. UNDERSTAND the OP.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Signs Of Lubricant Starvation / What Is Your Car's MPG Reading? / 2018 Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo Concept Revealed (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.