Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,430 members, 7,954,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:19 AM

A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! (1198 Views)

Man Narrates How He Disqualified 3 Job Seekers For Not Having PVC / Job Seekers In Kaduna Troop Out In Search Of Job Vacancies (Photos) / Job Seekers, Take A cue From Lionel Messi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by prof22(m): 9:15pm On Oct 28, 2015
A nokia touch light and an Iphone. The two are phones, they can both make calls. Send sms. But an Iphone can do a lot of things while a nokia touch light phone is limited. You as a graduate with your first degree alone is likened to a nokia touch light phone in ds illustration while a graduate irrespective of your class 1st class, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd class or pass with necessary skills is likened to an Iphone here.
As a graduate, first of all you are not unique, everybody is a graduate. But what makes you unique is the richness of your CV. What makes you unique is the skills that you have that will make an employee employ you with your 2:2 /3rd class or pass over a 2:1 or 1st class.

One
ICT Skills: my brothers & Sisters, basic computer knowledge is outdated. Ability to use microsoft, excel, powerpoint are no longer Skills even a drop out in a computer centre can use them more than you. Go for advance ICT skills.- Networking, Programming, Web development, Java. 3D, Database, Web designing, Multimedia& Animation. Wireless. Security, Autocad and lots more. That's when you can boast of ur ICT Skills.
*Note* Irrespective of your discipline

2nd
Language Skills: It is a MUST that you acquire a language skill. If you are Ibo during ur service year learn Yoruba or hausa and if you are hausa learn yoruba and if you are ibo learn too. See yourself as part of your community. Get close to them and learn d basics and add it to your CV or Ýou can as well acquire some foreign language skills like French which is d second official language in Nigeria and do you know we have more francophone countries in africa more than the english speaking countries? Learn spanish, Portuguese, German all ds boost your chances of securing ur dream good paying job. (You stand d chance of travelling if need be for someone to represent the company.)

3rd
Professional Qualification
During NYSC camping, a lot of professional bodies come for seminars and all that. Be wise. Go for d one that will be beneficial to your field. Don't do it because ur friend is doing it. Everybody can go for PMP, ICAN, NEM and there are many professional bodies. #BeWise and ask questions during seminars.

4th
Volunteer as an Intern in some private firms even if they won't pay you. A friend went to a radio station to volunteer as an intern and they accepted her despite d fact that her PPA is a school after school hours. She will leave for d station. After service she added it to her CV. Be smart

5th
Acquire a Vocational skill
Ladies and gentlemen, Swallow your pride. Artisans are making it real big now. All the drop outs are now living in their own house, have a shop and apprentice and happily married while we that are drop in are still looking for job. Acquire a vocational skill go into film making, fashion designing, interior decor, event management, Saloon, make-up artÍste, and more. They are too much. A graduate will do it in a posh way and handle it better.

I hope ds will make d 1st page and someone somewhere somehow will need it. Gracias !

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by Opetech(m): 2:55am On Oct 29, 2015
This is nice! If only graduates will swallow their pride and utilise the pieces of advice here.
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by bhidex007: 3:03am On Oct 29, 2015
This is a frontpage material
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by peterkul(m): 3:40am On Oct 29, 2015
Very interesting write up......where can I locate a good ICT school in Lagos?
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by ajasa4link: 6:56am On Oct 29, 2015
At the end of the day it all boils down to God's grace and luck. I met a guy during one of the recruitment of one of the big fours, He has two degrees which he ran side by side having 1st class in the first one and 2.1 in the second one. I mean first class in geology! He won more than 3 multinational scholarships, has enough IT skills, knows video editing, graphics design, Autocad, borehole drilling, Oracle... If u see his cv u will be intimidated...... But there we were all trying to get into the same company and at the end being told bla bla bla....

The long and short of it all is, what u've written up there is quite good especially who people still observing their nysc, but the unemployment crisis is real... Its only those who are rugged, not easily despaired intelligent enough to take charge of their situation and who are lucky gets the few jobs available.

1 Like

Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by engrrichie92(m): 8:09am On Oct 29, 2015
unemployment in Nigeria is definitely real but then...have you done your part?
your complaint would be legit and valid if you take time to do your part...it's a battle,you are a soldier..are you armed enough?

I want somebody here right now..to state his/her skill set and problems they can solve and I'm sure we may not have up to 3
one thing about Nigerians is when faced with problems,we always fail to look INWARD
I'm yet to land my dream Job and I take full responsibility...right now,I'm ready to read,learn,etc..if after doing that,I Dont get the Job..then I can start complaining
now the big question is what have you done to change your jobless situation apart from wailing and engaging in unproductive complaints
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by Sweetyie(f): 8:20am On Oct 29, 2015
Nice one
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by Sweetyie(f): 8:20am On Oct 29, 2015
Nice one op
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by ukeme200(m): 8:49am On Oct 29, 2015
Nice write up.
BTW, I smell FP.
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by karleone(m): 9:28am On Oct 29, 2015
engrrichie92:
unemployment in Nigeria is definitely real but then...have you done your part?
your complaint would be legit and valid if you take time to do your part...it's a battle,you are a soldier..are you armed enough?

I want somebody here right now..to state his/her skill set and problems they can solve and I'm sure we may not have up to 3
one thing about Nigerians is when faced with problems,we always fail to look INWARD
I'm yet to land my dream Job and I take full responsibility...right now,I'm ready to read,learn,etc..if after doing that,I Dont get the Job..then I can start complaining
now the big question is what have you done to change your jobless situation apart from wailing and engaging in unproductive complaints

"... yet to land my DREAM JOB." What do you call that your dream job?
My dear, every job can be transformed into a dream job, it's just a matter of interest and dedication you put into it. Try and read "How to excel at work" - Bili Odum, and you'll understand the reality about career advancement.
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by engrrichie92(m): 10:30am On Oct 29, 2015
karleone:

"... yet to land my DREAM JOB." What do you call that your dream job?
My dear, every job can be transformed into a dream job, it's just a matter of interest and dedication you put into it. Try and read "How to excel at work" - Bili Odum, and you'll understand the reality about career advancement.
I disagree sir...we are different and we have our unique path sir...by dream Job,I refer to my passion...and who says I ain't doing my work well...but then there's always a difference between making ends meet and fulfilling purpose and enjoying what you do...I sincerely hope you understand sir

1 Like

Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2015
Ok
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by amicable09(f): 8:55am On Oct 30, 2015
Mmmh... Advise flying up and down, it's well o. If only these things are all actually 'do-able' but truth still remains there are certain skills that will be gotten on the job while some others should be gotten before, at least some basic general ICT skills.

Personally, before I went to serve, I had plans of writing some professional exams and getting some new skills as well as volunteering to do a couple of stuff in an NGO but mba, I was posted to a rather remote village where even connection to the internet was a major wahala! One whole year of serving in the village smiley but did I volunteer for anything? lol, yes. To teach in a public school for free and what did I get from that volunteer work, HEADACHE! serious noise by junior students who will just be shouting 'mistress, mogbo English o'... hahahaha and the noise for the day begins.

Anyway, I still maximized the opportunities available at the villa as I learnt how to cook some local dishes and got some really good presentation skills courtesy of my CDS group sensitizations and I'm honestly grateful for that. At least, I can hold my audience spell bound wanting more for minutes.

So, to each one, do whatever there is to winning and achieving success. Most times these tips are just an ideal and the reality is you may find yourself in a place where it would be near impossible to do most of the stuff outlined just make the most of every opportunity and in the end you will be happy for it. I don't waste my time regretting over not serving in the state capital or doing certain things those who served there did, we all have different goals and arrival time is different as well, so, make your moments count!
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by ambassadorgozie(m): 9:07am On Oct 30, 2015
I made 2.1 in one of d best uni in nigeria, certified in French langauge and HSE, proficient in MS office suite..submitted my CV everywhere...

But am still jobless.

What will u call dat one?
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by amicable09(f): 10:12am On Oct 30, 2015
ambassadorgozie:
I made 2.1 in one of d best uni in nigeria, certified in French langauge and HSE, proficient in MS office suite..submitted my CV everywhere...

But am still jobless.

Hahahahaha... It is called searching for jobs in the wrong places (soon, an expert will come and tell us that).
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by ajasa4link: 1:51pm On Oct 30, 2015
ambassadorgozie:

But am still jobless.

your miracle is definitely on the way. Once its ur time,its ur time
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by ambassadorgozie(m): 2:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
ajasa4link:

your miracle is definitely on the way. Once its ur time,its ur time

Big AMEN.
Tanx.
God will bless our hustle
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2015
ambassadorgozie:

But am still jobless.

One of my best mentor always say that "there is no special method or ways to making it in Life, Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well." Just keep doing your Best and at the right time, you ll be remembered, which most time will appear as if you are Lucky, but you must definitely be Lucky in this Life in one way or the other to really make it Big. Hold on... don't quit.
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by Marvinspeed(m): 6:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
How relevant is pmp?
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by ambassadorgozie(m): 6:43pm On Oct 30, 2015
shollynoob:

One of my best mentor always say that "there is no special method or ways to making it in Life, Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well." Just keep doing your Best and at the right time, you ll be remembered, which most time will appear as if you are Lucky, but you must definitely be Lucky in this Life in one way or the other to really make it Big. Hold on... don't quit.

My man tanx very much.. Remain bless!
Re: A Piece Of GOOD Advice For BATCH B's - And Job Seekers ! by lisimmo(m): 5:31am On Oct 31, 2015
nice one @op

(1) (Reply)

Mlae And Female Accountant / Recruitment At Lead City University - 27 Positions / New Vacancy! !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.