Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,543 members, 7,827,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King (1670 Views)

"The Cleanest Street In Ile-Ife To Receive N100K Every Month" Says Ooni. Photos / Ooni Ogunwusi Observing Eld Prayers In Ile-Ife / Open Letter To Wuraola Otiti, Ooni Ogunwusi’s New Queen By Zainab Lawani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by fattbabakay(m): 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2015
Maintaining a straight face with my ink firmly placed at the top-left corner of my slate as I script down my words while surveying the clumsy town of Ile-Ife. It's no news that a new king has been selected by who or whatsoever,long last the crown and all other royal attributes.

Thoughts ran through my then saturated head as a rickety bus smuggled me through the hold up along the town's major road, I saw people, including old women and men lined by the road, waiting patiently and impatiently for the arrival of the new king, such a glorious day it was for his majesty. But let it be known that the same thing was done for his predecessor, he came, saw and conquered so many things but not issues and problems attributed and pertaining to his town, Ile-Ife.

It is a known fact that kings in Ile-Ife have always been one of the richest kings in the nation but the sorry irony is that the town, Ile-Ife is one of the poorest and undeveloped towns in the history of our nation.

Keeping close to my reasons in order to justify my claim, the town has no major company, any idea of such goes into extinction after a while, whoever knows why, no standard secondary school, the struggling-to-be-standard ones which an education enthusiast can boast of is nothing more than two, maybe three, or probable three and a half, still counting though. Just one and a half standard hospital(s), no IT centre, no resort centre, no cinema, no eatery (except two Bukateria forming Behind), just two young-shall-grow supermarkets, no standard road, everything seems like streets, no water system, no electricity, well that's a national sentence, a couple on and off radio stations, no TV station (ruling out that living but dead NTA Ile-Ife).
I bet, if not for Obafemi Awolowo University which brought about a teaching hospital complex, the town would have been nothing more than a concentrated village in the deep forest of Nassarawa where hunters and farmers, probably fishermen too, would exzhibit their skills and where dubious politicians and thieves can seek hideout till things die down.

This town accommodates mostly uncivilised people, hustlers, market women, teachers, sole proprietors, a few OAU/OAUTHC workers, local government workers, bank workers, okada riders and a couple bus drivers and conductors.If you belong not to any of the mentioned categories, you had better find an alternative destination. The only engineers are phone and desktop repairers. This is due to the fact that once the youths graduate from school, off they go, flooding the already flooded metropolises, because this town is limited in supply and delimited in demand.

A couple research revealed a somewhat superstitious belief that the static status of the town is due to the great belief and worship of idols by the leaders of the town. Well if this is so, then the gods need to be summoned from wherever into an open space for interrogation, is it that they don't like development? or is it that the idols love being stashed in a cave-live thrash after a tiring journey round a pot-hole filled town all in the name of Festival? Don't they want to get their heads chilled in an air conditioned room or probably next to an ocean shore as they perform their supposed miracles? Then why would they go against development??

Moreover, then I think this town needs change, some trenches need some cutting, some benches need arranging, some weeds need uprooting, some pillars need erecting, some entities need banishing, and some infrastructures need importing because some people there are suffocating, they need a change to keep surviving.

Let's not take this with a pinch of salt, so we need someone that knows somebody that knows a woman whose talent is gossiping to broadcast these facts around the market to the reach of the market gatekeeper who will in turn tell the palace guard while chilling together at the bar, then this should reach the king :

A king is meant to bring development to his town, directly or indirectly with his influence, not just sit and welcome visitors, as foreigners and politicians come and go like they are chilling with a hooker. His majesty should ask questions on what is wrong and wonder what the so-called local government officials have been doing. His majesty should pray for the town if that is what we need. His majesty should encourage and do something for the youths, they only can bring development, not the old chiefs and living ancestors in the hoods.

His majesty will reason with this? Maybe, Maybe not!
I can go on divulging my views, but this candle runs out like Usian being prefixed by a cheetar.

Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by fattbabakay(m): 3:19pm On Oct 29, 2015
cc lalasticlala
Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by BreezyCB(m): 3:32pm On Oct 29, 2015
Op Nice One Na True Talk Ife No Make Sense At All
Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by fattbabakay(m): 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2015
BreezyCB:
Op Nice One
Na True Talk Ife No Make Sense At All
Thank God u know too
Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by AKYEMITE(m): 6:05pm On Oct 29, 2015
i want to say i appreciate your concern about. Every true yoruba person must be concerned. Although, your post is not absolutely true in reality, nevertheless, indeed, ife shd be given a face lift. I want you to go and read the acceptance speech of the new ooni, most of your questions has been dealt with. Thanks for being a good son of the soil.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by BreezyCB(m): 9:34pm On Oct 29, 2015
fattbabakay:
Thank God u know too
Na Ife I Dey Nah
Ife Worst
Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by medoyin(m): 10:32am On Oct 30, 2015
AKYEMITE:
i want to say i appreciate your concern about. Every true yoruba person must be concerned. Although, your post is not absolutely true in reality, nevertheless, indeed, ife shd be given a face lift. I want you to go and read the acceptance speech of the new ooni, most of your questions has been dealt with. Thanks for being a good son of the soil.

Highlight what is not true. You can still see the burnt buildings during the last ife- modakeke crisis. No double lane..Gosh, Ife is worse.
Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by fattbabakay(m): 3:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
BreezyCB:
Na Ife I Dey Nah Ife Worst
we dey together cheesy cheesy
Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by fattbabakay(m): 3:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
medoyin:

Highlight what is not true. You can still see the burnt buildings during the last ife- modakeke crisis. No double lane..Gosh, Ife is worse.
tell em
Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by BreezyCB(m): 12:11pm On Oct 31, 2015
fattbabakay:
we dey together cheesy cheesy
Abi Nah
Re: The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King by Gboliwe: 7:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
The owners of this land and the inhabitants thereof will not push to have this in spotlight, rather most of them will go naked stoking tribalism online. SMH

(1) (Reply)

Houseboy, Housegirl, And Driver / Igbo Names / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods(2). (Ile-Ife And The Ancient Kingdom Of Benin)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.