Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,298 members, 7,819,003 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie (11463 Views)

See How God Has Blessed And Transformed This Mans Business Within 10 Years / If You Are Uber Partner In Abuja, Please Share Your Experience Here / If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by ibuowo1212: 9:08pm On Oct 29, 2015
My fellow nairaland, please let us share our experience of living in the US so people desperate to relocate to the State will have idea of what they are getting themselves into as they always think people living in America are better than them.
My name is ibuowo have lived in the US for approximately 13yrs now and I can tell you that is not been very easy as we always say but for real is not been easy most especially for those of us that came here through visa and we decided to stay back hoping to survive with different types of conditions we might find ourselves. Luckly for me I came here through the lottery but still is not the promise that they promised you on your arrival at the port of entry that they will provide you with accommodation and a job, this is absolutely lie that I discovered on getting to the US. I was picked up by one my so call uncle that his name is listed as my relatives before departing Nigeria and he took me straight home though the man was a complete gentlemen but was married to a devil which he came to nigeria to marry and has been tormenting his life before I get there and I witness some during my stay with them. Please this might sound like a long story is not for everyone one to read or respond is for those that want to have documented true life experience before getting that visa and buying that ticket hoping America is a bed of rose. I will continue from here tomorrow because I need to get read for work . Please, if you have any tangible experience you will like to share please feel free, also questions and comments are all welcome. Thanks for stopping by and reading .

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by kenzo25(m): 9:22pm On Oct 29, 2015
I dollar equal to how many Naira? Bro if it's not easy why not come home, pls stop trying to fool people that it's not easy, NYC here I come ooooooo. Welcome to America Kenzo........make I come hustle like my bro Op. It's isn't easy ooooo.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by donkross1(m): 9:28pm On Oct 29, 2015
Nna menh no be you go tell us say America no good. You are not the first or the only Nigerian there, America is still a bed of roses compared to some other countries and moreover someone will surely make It wherever he is destined to Make it.

If you think getting a job that pays 2500 dollars n above is been defined as not easy then I guess not easy is easy afterall.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by ibuowo1212: 8:18pm On Nov 01, 2015
Hi guys, sorry it takes longer than expected I have lots to do at hand, well before I proceeds with my story as I promised I welcome all comments and critics but let be mindful of the way we respond to this thread because is not to discourage anyone from coming to America is just to give an heads up of things that may not be clear to anyone proposing coming to the U.S. That been said I will respond to both guys that reply to this thread.
@kenzo25, I really appreciate you taking your time to respond but comparing how much dollar is equal to naira is not the basic of argument because the more the naira depreciation the more expensive things you buy in nigeria become so it doesn't do Nigerians living in US any good if the naira keep depreciating because they will end up paying more for what they buy that is simple math. Also, am not trying to fool anyone because am not the embassy that issue visa nether am the person that is going to accommodate you when you come to US, this thread is open to help people coming over here to have an idea of what they are getting themselves into.

@doncross1. Am not saying America is not good neither do I say is the best country in the world am just giving people a true life story of how things work over here. Also, seeking the opinion of those that have lived here for many years to give their experience.
Making 2500 dollars is not difficult but how much can you save from this money is what is important. Do the comparison between those earning 2500 dollars in the US and those earning the equivalent in naira and see who is living large between them you will find out that most people will be the people living in nigeria because of low expenses they have. So be smart.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by donkross1(m): 8:44pm On Nov 01, 2015
1st of all its donkross, Kross with a K....

2500 US dollars = 497625.0000 Nigerian nairas.
What do you do to get these amount ? Menial jobs, security works, washing plates etc..

What kinda Job will pay you that amount in Nigeria? Managerial posts right?

How old are you bruh? How old would you be before you can be a manager that earns that kinda account in nigeria. Make I leave story jaare, how much be bills wey u dey pay. At the very least you will be able to save 1000dorz at the end of every month and you say it's not easy. Leave matter for matthias jaare.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by CHANCEMAN: 10:22pm On Nov 01, 2015
donkross1:
1st of all its donkross, Kross with a K....

2500 US dollars = 497625.0000 Nigerian nairas.
What do you do to get these amount ? Menial jobs, security works, washing plates etc..

What kinda Job will pay you that amount in Nigeria? Managerial posts right?

How old are you bruh? How old would you be before you can be a manager that earns that kinda account in nigeria. Make I leave story jaare, how much be bills wey u dey pay. At the very least you will be able to save 1000dorz at the end of every month and you say it's not easy. Leave matter for matthias jaare.

$2500 be you like big money? Rent alone can wipe off 40% of that monthly.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by ibuowo1212: 10:58pm On Nov 01, 2015
Thanks Chanceman for coming to my rescue, this is the purpose this thread is made for to shield more light to what is in the dark. There is no way you will be making 2500$ and live the comfortable live you want and will save $1000 quote me anywhere. Unless you are living with friends and family but still I promise you you cannot save that amount.
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by jidowu84: 11:12pm On Nov 01, 2015
my broda ibuowo. I dreamt of being in the USA last night. buh I just too believe in naija.
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by PresidKing(m): 2:16am On Nov 02, 2015
ibuowo1212:
Thanks Chanceman for coming to my rescue, this is the purpose this thread is made for to shield more light to what is in the dark. There is no way you will be making 2500$ and live the comfortable live you want and will save $1000 quote me anywhere. Unless you are living with friends and family but still I promise you you cannot save that amount.

Hi Ibuowo,

Please, continue with your story, it is educative and thanks for standing up to educate us, I don't also support the way we flood ourselves outside, I have few friends who is suffering just to make ends meeting, it is better to travel out and go to study, then after study you tried to look for something you can do. Also it is not only in USA, but also in countries like Malaysia, most people enter into dubious means and that tarnishes our images.

it is not as preached.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by souleymon(m): 4:29am On Nov 02, 2015
No menial job will give you $2500 in America.You would need more than 2 to even start saving.Yes going to school would elevate your earnings, but your living standard ups do does your bills.
Life's easier for Nigerian on 150_200k in Nigeria than Nigerian earning 2500_3000$ in America.
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by ultrazone(m): 5:57am On Nov 02, 2015
Following

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by Pidggin(f): 7:02am On Nov 02, 2015
If life is so easy there, why is it hard for an average person living there to even spend or dash you 10 dollars when you visit. Every single DLR is calculated and spent frugally if you want to survive there.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by naijacutee(f): 7:12am On Nov 02, 2015
I think it is very easy to get fooled by exchange rates, and not take into account the cost of living. Countries like the US and the UK have high exchange rates, but also high cost of living. First, with a $2500 job, you will probably pay taxes of no less than 20%. The taxes are not negotiable and come out of your wages before the money even hits your account. Then you pay your rent, also remembering that stable electricity, water, gas, internet all come at a price. The only way you can save so much is if you're earning the money in the US and living in Nigeria.

I don't live in the US but I can relate. Once, I had a really good short-term contract job that earned me £3,000 in 3 weeks. When I got my payslip, Her Majesty collected £1920 in taxes and paid me £1,080. Still good, right? Except that my rent at the time was £850 and council tax was £146. I hadn't thought about food, transport etc.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by donkross1(m): 7:23am On Nov 02, 2015
CHANCEMAN:

$2500 be you like big money? Rent alone can wipe off 40% of that monthly.
Nna forget that level.. how much be rent?
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by donkross1(m): 7:27am On Nov 02, 2015
naijacutee:
I think it is very easy to get fooled by exchange rates, and not take into account the cost of living. Countries like the US and the UK have high exchange rates, but also high cost of living. First, with a $2500 job, you will probably pay taxes of no less than 20%. The taxes are not negotiable and come out of your wages before the money even hits your account. Then you pay your rent, also remembering that stable electricity, water, gas, internet all come at a price. The only way you can save so much is if you're earning the money in the US and living in Nigeria.

I don't live in the US but I can relate. Once, I had a really good short-term contract job that earned me £3,000 in 3 weeks. When I got my payslip, Her Majesty collected £1920 in taxes and paid me £1,080. Still good, right? Except that my rent at the time was £850 and council tax was £146. I hadn't thought about food, transport etc.
that one na for uk sir. Tax in d states is not that high.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by donkross1(m): 7:29am On Nov 02, 2015
Anyways what's the point. I can't change your view, you can't change my view. To me it is far more easier to Make it in USA than to Make it in nigeria.... if any of una don taya for usa, make e dey come back home.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by ibuowo1212: 1:41am On Nov 03, 2015
Hi fellow, I like the energy on this thread is encouraging me to continue writing though my time is limited but I will try as much as possible to respond and continue with my experience. Firstly, to everyone that has contributed on this thread either positively or otherwise I say a very big thank you. Am not here to argue of proof that things cannot be done in other ways from mine but am writing this base on my own experience and want people to learn from it, afterwards is free of charge.
Continuing from where I stopped, so the lady was very rule to this man and I decided to ask the man one day why is this lady behaving like this and why do you decided to go to nigeria to marry in the first place when there is tons of women here in the US, his reply was that he wanted that African women that will treat him like a king with that home manner and most especially give him the African delicacy that he missed so much but she turned out to be the opposite after he has sent her to school to become a nurse now she is out of control. Lesson so far is that most Nigerian men that travel home to marry nigerian women end up in this type of mess mind you i did is not say all but 90% cases have witness and am a victim as well so think deeply when you are considering going to nigeria to marry that wife.
After a while I left their house due to some incident I get myself involved in whereby I had accident with the man's car and the women threaten to call the police on me, see me see wahala have only spend one month and I never want to go to jail or risk been deported after have sold all I have to come to America. Now the struggle continue, luckily for me have made some friends who picked me up on the street where I run for my dear life. I started living with this my new friends who make me realized that there is no free lunch in freetown that immediately I found a job I will pay back the rents and the bill have accumulate during the time that have not started working. So after three months I finally got a job at the restaurant where I was been paid $6.50/hr and was scheduled to work 40 hrs a week am so happy and work so hard at the end of the week I was paid $260 but after taxes am only left with $200 so if we multiply by 4 at the end of the month I have $800. For someone that have brothers and sisters back home expecting me to send money to them how will I do that because is now 5 months and they are all calling me to send money. For almost one year am on a budget of $800/month my rent is $300, my utility is $100 my transportation is $100 and the rest goes on feeding and clothing so that left me with $0 saving at the end of the month for one year. Lesson learnt so far, not all that glitter are gold, American has already established itself and just looking for people to keep the country at the top so the whole world can see it as the best country in the world, if not why do you think America come up with the visa lottery whereby that issue 50,000 visa to people from all over the world after issuing the visa why not provide free accommodation, food and good paying job to proof that they are really a nice God sent saviour.
I will will stop for now next I will tell you guys a little about my background and why I believe that for me coming to America is a 50/50 for me. If I was in nigeria I would have acquired the same I have today, and I will proof it. Please, send your comments and critics on this thread because we are all here to learn.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by kenzo25(m): 8:57am On Nov 04, 2015
It's really educative for us planing to come over there, thanks for this info. Your experience will teach JJC like me planning to come over there. When I come there Mr ibuowo I will find u bro.
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by steric58(m): 1:53pm On Nov 04, 2015
what about nigeria nurses abroad am a student nurse planning to move 2 d state soon
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by ibuowo1212: 11:42pm On Nov 04, 2015
@Kenzo 25 no problem anything you like to know let me know I will tell you or ask people that knows.
@steric58 my advice for you is to try as much as possible to conclude you nursing program in nigeria then come here and take the board exam so to be qualified to practice here in the state if not it will take more time than you anticipated before you can accomplish your goal as a nurse. Why, because American like to do things in their own way half education in nigeria means start over in the US.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by sonnie10: 5:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
If you are married and the both of you are professionals, with take home of $1000 each per week that would be about $8000 a month. If you live modestly spend say $3000 a month. You can save $5000 every month. Remember also that every year, on that amount you may get up to $10k back from tax return from the taxes you paid.

But the both of you must have a US degree (Associate or Bachelors) to earn that much from just one 8hr job.

My take is that, it is not usually easy for JJCs. Again, it is always the best if you are two understanding couple working together. Although a single younger person can do two jobs.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by ibuowo1212: 6:18pm On Nov 05, 2015
@sonnies10 before I comment on your post first I like to thank you for your contribution and secondly I like to ask you this question, are you presently living in the US or you have once lived there? Waiting for your answer but I will comment anyway until you reply.
Your analysis is good but most of the time things don't work out that way, because getting two professionals to live together is always difficult am not saying it doesn't exist but there is more attached to it than what it seem to look like. Take for instance the husband is a doctor and the wife is a nurse they might be making even more than 8k/month but their home is not going to be a happy home because everyone has it at the back of their mind to take care of his family back home so that will make both husband and wife begins to have hidden agenda and by doing so their home is on fire gradually at the end of the day things will surely fall apart believe me am talking from experience. Furthermore, what gain does it profit two professional parents that hardly stays at home to took after their children and give that parenthood that they deserve from them rather they engaged the service of babysitter and pay her to watch after the children just because they have the target of making 8k or more per month, at the end of the day their children become molested by the so called babysitter they paid and the children become wayward. If you read the new recently you will see one nigerian babysitter that was cut trying to escape to nigeria at the airport after bathing a small child with over 100 degree hot water just because she was on the phone and not paying proper attention to the child. So my point is that there is more than making money than to save it.
Finally, there is no way you and your spouse will be making 8k or more per month and you are expected to get a tax return of 10k back at the end of the year even if you have 4 children the most you get is 7 to 8k plus if your income is too high you pay more taxes during each week and you get less tax return at the end of the year or you still pay back, that is how the system work not the other way around. Also according to research it show that average of at lease 15k is spent on one child per year.Remember America is a capitalist economy is made to favor those who have business not those who is exchanging their human power in return of money. In the future I will talk on the topic "why Africa are not more successful than the rest of other country in America ". I rest my case.
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by sthugo: 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2015
That means dubai is still better
When u are employed,tax free,free accomodation etc
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by sonnie10: 8:11pm On Nov 05, 2015
@ Ibuowo1212. Like I said before, it is not easy if you are just starting off. Two professionals with two kids of age 5- 16 living in a good neighborhood could decide to have their kids in government public sch which is usually free. Most jobs are 7:30- 3:30 and schools are 8:00am - 3:00pm. The plan would be to drop them off for pre-class hours and pick them after work at the after school program at 4: 30pm. Every school has this before/after school enriching programs for a little fee.

This way, everybody leaves the house at the same time and gets back home at the same time. There is no need for nanny. Remember I said that you and your spouse do not have to work two jobs; just the regular 8hr job. The reason is to have quality family time at the end of the day.

I was not even talking about being a doctor or nurse which of course means more money. There are a lot of on demand 2 year community college programs you could do as an immigrant with limited finances. For example, ultrasound tech ($32hr), Info tech ($30hr), Surgical tech, orthopedic tech, Dental assistance ($32hr), Rad tech ($30hr), lab tech ($25hr), Bio tech, radiotherapist ($38hr), occupational therapist etc. These are all 2year programs that pay relatively well and you make more than $1000 a week. I believe anybody that finished secondary school in Nigeria can do these course and pass with flying colors.

Lastly, I don't see how sending money to love ones at home would be an issue if you have a joint account with your spouse. Both of you would agree on how much you are comfortable sending periodically. Account transactions can be assessed anytime online or over the phone. So, no hidden agendas. Occasionally, other demands from home would arise which you have to discuss with your spouse.

It is all about planning and not forgetting where you are coming from. Avoid consumable things you can't afford to pay for out of pocket.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by ibuowo1212: 9:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
@sonnies10 thanks so much for this vital information, from your write up I can see that you are not a JJC in the US and you have a wide range of experience to share to those anticipating in coming to live in the US. Also, please let us put into consideration that different state with different rules and different pay, I don't know where sonnies10 live but I live in Atlanta and is very difficult to get that type of pay for the job he mentioned but notwithstanding is a very good absorber for someone to have this education so you will not end up collecting a peanut from all this menace job. Please keep the conservation live by asking questions not just reading the thread because I see a lot of people are reading and not asking questions that is not the purpose of this thread you contributions goes a long way. I wish I have this type of information before I travel to the state my life would have been more more better so make use of this opportunity and information.
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by cityAdventures: 4:31pm On Aug 16, 2016
Why did tnis tnread just die out? Since nov 2015. R US based nigerians afraid of sharingtheir experiences?
OP pls continue with your story
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 02, 2017
This is 2017 when America give out visas to bricklayers, truckpushers and shoemakers. The lies of years ago is now being known. It is a million times easier to make it in Nigeria than America but so many Nigerians are impatient and not willing to start from the bottom. In America you don't own your house till 30yrs time which is enough for a low income Nigeria to build two houses. And most of the flashy cars Nigerians drive there are paid through finance, taking up to 5-6yrs to own. The United States is one big mirage and the American dream only make sense when you are dreaming.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by Everest1989(m): 9:24pm On Jun 05, 2017
ayodele234:
This is 2017 when America give out visas to bricklayers, truckpushers and shoemakers. The lies of years ago is now being known. It is a million times easier to make it in Nigeria than America but so many Nigerians are impatient and not willing to start from the bottom. In America you don't own your house till 30yrs time which is enough for a low income Nigeria to build two houses. And most of the flashy cars Nigerians drive there are paid through finance, taking up to 5-6yrs to own. The United States is one big mirage and the American dream only make sense when you are dreaming.
so if the USA visa is thrown to you now, you wont grab it sharp sharp?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by KelvinCX(m): 5:58pm On Jan 21, 2019
Happy i got out of that shithole before trump started revoking visas

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by C3goldCom: 7:33am On Apr 22, 2019
Good day,
with all due respect,
Life outside Nigerian is still better off...the witchcraft and the heat... only those with money can managed...but i love the hustle spirits, prayers etc there.

if you are there you have to pray and pray before any good things can come fort but outside the Country with times things will fall in place.

Your destiny might be outside the Country or in. You just have to pray for directions.

If you are a Christian you should know that Bible never promised us that life would be easy anyway.
I also have same experienced but i traveled out with money and i had to get a car started taxi business from there i got my businesses and so on...

Today i have citizenship in USA, Canada and SA.

Anyway, we are looking for people in uk and usa to work with. i am a development manager with a company and we are looking for anyone looking for job in the states to represent us. diploma/degree and high school certificates are welcome. we have parttime and fulltime. but must have a visa or knows someone who can.
you will be paid weekly or Monthly...
we can open an office space or you work online.
thanks n gbu
Bob

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by korlahwarleh: 9:05am On Apr 22, 2019
C3goldCom:
Good day,
with all due respect,
Life outside Nigerian is still better off...the witchcraft and the heat... only those with money can managed...but i love the hustle spirits, prayers etc there.

if you are there you have to pray and pray before any good things can come fort but outside the Country with times things will fall in place.

Your destiny might be outside the Country or in. You just have to pray for directions.

If you are a Christian you should know that Bible never promised us that life would be easy anyway.
I also have same experienced but i traveled out with money and i had to get a car started taxi business from there i got my businesses and so on...

Anyway, we are looking for people in uk and usa to work with. i am a development manager with a company and we are looking for anyone looking for job in the states to represent us. diploma/degree and high school certificates are welcome. we have parttime and fulltime. but must have a visa or knows someone who can.
thanks n gbu
Bob

Hello. I'm available and interested. I have a B.Sc in Mechanical Engineering in one of the top Federal Universities. I practice as a Mechanical Engineer and I am also a computer programmer. Thanks
Re: Nigerians In America Let Share Experience Here Must Be 10 Years Or Older Experie by Britishcoins(m): 8:30pm On Apr 22, 2019
C3goldCom:
Good day,
with all due respect,

thanks n gbu
Bob

You are a scammer, get lost out of this place

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN Raises Interest Rate To 17.5% / New CBN Capital: 25 Banks Need N3.89trn Fresh Funds To Meet Requirements / What Can I Invest 10k In To Make 40k In A Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.