Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

What Is It With Anambra And Education? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is It With Anambra And Education? (1296 Views)

Computer Science And Education / Medicine Mentality Among Nigerian Undergraduates And Education System / What Is The Difference Between ACADEMICS And EDUCATION ??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is It With Anambra And Education? by Mescopaul(m): 9:37am On Oct 30, 2015
Frankly speaking, Anambra state one of the most popular state in the Eastern region of Nigeria is a den of academic excellence.

Reading through the DailySun newspaper, some amazing facts seem to be mindblogging as to how Anambra came to achieve this academical feat in the country.

According to the observer, Segun Adeniyi, Anambra state education authority has been doing something right that earned the state such accolades.

He noted that the state had come first in the WAEC and NECO examinations for three consecutive times, and in the Multina Teacher Of the Year Awards, a teacher from Anambra state, Mrs. Rose Nkemdilim Obi, who teaches Maths at an all-girls college in Onitsha, defeated her fellow teachers from 19 other states of the federation to win this year's edition of Multina Teacher of the Year.

Two days after the award of best teacher of the year to a teacher from Anambra, Team Anambra also emerged winners of the national Pre-basic Debate Competition held in Abeokuta, Ogun state to mark Nigeria's 55th Independence anniversary.

Interestingly too, Anambra had won the same contest last year and subsequently flew the Nigerian flag in Singapore in June this year at the World Schools Debate Championship.

A fascinating thing also is that all the young students who have brought repeated honours to the state in national and international debate championships were all drawn from PUBLIC schools!

Apart from education, Anambra has also produced great men and women of renown, both in the country and in the world. A top list among whom are:

The Great Zik of Africa
Emeka Ojukwu
Chinua Achebe
Chike Obi
Chimamanda Adichie
Emeka Anyaoku
Christopher and his brother Pius Okigbo
Dora Akunyili
Chukwuma Soludo
Chuka Umunna
James Adichie
Ben Enweonwu

and a whole universe of amazing scholars, pioneers and achievers.

The secret of this great achievement of Anambra's academics is not far fetched.

Anambra has given concrete attention to the education sector of the state.
The former governor among his educational feats, made a bold step by returning mission schools to churches.

His successor Willie Obiano is not lagging behind in the pursue of academic excellence for the Light of The Nation. This is seen in his organised and structural approach that guarantees sustainability and instant results in the sector.

Now Obiano approaches education in three broad areas:

1. Infrastructural development.
2. Pupils/students development.
3. Teacher's welfare.

In infrastructure:
Obiano has
renovated 862 units of 10 classroom blocks across the 21 local govt areas and disbursed a wooping sum of N733 million to the missions.

In Pupils/students:
Obiano's administration has kept faith with its "No-Child-Left-Behind" policy in education, awarding free education to all physically challenged children in the state.

Also he awarded scholarships to the children of Boko Haram victims. In all, the state has awarded scholarships of N30 million in 18 months.

Under teachers' welfare:
Obiano sent 23 teachers to Singapore to undergo training in technical and vocational education in April this year.

The governor also increased the salaries of teachers by 15percent, also providing a One-Teacher-One-Laptop scheme to aid computer studies.

In conclusion, Anambra is topping in the education sector because of the relevance the government of the state has attached to the education sector and the 3pronged approach to education by the governor, no wonder he was awarded the Most Primary School-Friendly Governor of 2015 by Association of Primary School Head-Teachers of Nigeria (APSHON).

And we hardly need a crystal ball to see that this is just the beginning.

Adapted from LIFELINE page 44, DAILYSUN Monday, October 26, 2015.
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by MISSNORA(f): 9:40am On Oct 30, 2015
They are cool headed
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by athaboi(f): 9:52am On Oct 30, 2015
Anambra people are focus in all they do..thats why. Correction op..chimamanda adichie is not from anambra and hv never schooled in anambra. She is frm abia state, grew up in nsukka whr her parents teached @ UNN.
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by SonOfEl(m): 10:07am On Oct 30, 2015
athaboi:
Anambra people are focus in all they do..thats why. Correction op..chimamanda adichie is not from anambra and hv never schooled in anambra. She is frm abia state, grew up in nsukka whr her parents teached @ UNN.

What kind of story are you selling here....chimamanda, is NOT from Abba, anambra state? I don't believe you.
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by SonOfEl(m): 10:15am On Oct 30, 2015
Anambra people are intelligent, but more importantly, dogged and determined. I think abia comes to mention in this trait too. The first educated contemporary Igbo Nigerian was Alvan Ikoku way back in 1928. Abia comes second after anambra in WAEC performances. Abia has inventors and professionals of international repute.

All in all, anambra population has helped too in enumerating the LONG list of intellectuals as compared to other Igbo states.
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by athaboi(f): 10:25am On Oct 30, 2015
SonOfEl:

What kind of story are you selling here....chimamanda, is NOT from Abba, anambra state? I don't believe you.
jst google it and get back to me. Chimamanda biograhpy...tell me wen u do that dear
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by Mescopaul(m): 2:03pm On Oct 30, 2015
athaboi:
Go and tell that to DAILYSUN Newspaper undecided
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by Blackkie: 2:27pm On Oct 30, 2015
Personal life and education[edit]
Adichie, who was born in the city of Enugu, grew up the fifth of six children in an Igbo family in the university town of Nsukka in southeastern Nigeria, where the University of Nigeria is situated. While she was growing up, her father James Nwoye Adichie was a professor of statistics at the university, and her mother Grace Ifeoma was the university's first female registrar.[4] Her family's ancestral village is in Abba in Anambra State

athaboi:

I can see that the name Abba confused you for Abia.
Abba is a town in Anambra along Anambra-Enugu expressway.
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by athaboi(f): 2:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
Blackkie:
Personal life and education[edit]
Adichie, who was born in the city of Enugu, grew up the fifth of six children in an Igbo family in the university town of Nsukka in southeastern Nigeria, where the University of Nigeria is situated. While she was growing up, her father James Nwoye Adichie was a professor of statistics at the university, and her mother Grace Ifeoma was the university's first female registrar.[4] Her family's ancestral village is in Abba in Anambra State

I can see that the name Abba confused you for Abia.
Abba is a town in Anambra along Anambra-Enugu expressway.
sorry abt that bro! Ofcourse i knw abba, close to ukpo arthor eze's village.
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by SonOfEl(m): 5:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
athaboi:
jst google it and get back to me. Chimamanda biograhpy...tell me wen u do that dear

I googled it. Chimamanda is from Abba, anambra state.
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by athaboi(f): 7:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
SonOfEl:

I googled it. Chimamanda is from Abba, anambra state.
yes bro! Thats a gross mistake frm me! Tnx
Re: What Is It With Anambra And Education? by YesWeCan11: 5:45am On Dec 03, 2015
Helloooo.....Please try to say what you are sure of in here or better still present your opinion as a suggestion or question to seek clarification. Chimamanda is from Abba in Njikoka LGA of Anambra state with Headquarter at Abagana. The dad is someone we all know very well here and returns home like every time. They are based in Nsukka, Enugu state where the dad retired from. FYI there is a big difference between Abba (with double B) and Aba. Abba is a town in Anambra state while Aba is a commercial town in Abia state...Please kindly pick up some of her books and read the author biography or better still watch the movie , Half of a yellow sun and see her description of Abba.
athaboi:

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Academy Admission Process 4RC / How To Write An Effective Research Paper / 2017 JAMBITES' CORNER (non Jambites Please Keep Off!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.