Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,655 members, 7,813,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

Aye And Nay-Saying Senators - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aye And Nay-Saying Senators (873 Views)

Aye Dee: Nigerians Being Lied To, Buhari & Governors Didn't Meet At Abuja House / Abubakar Shekau Is Still Alive - Aye Dee / Saraki/presidency Cold War: Senators Avoid C’ttee Chairmanship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aye And Nay-Saying Senators by Lionize: 10:57am On Oct 30, 2015
For me, the decision of the Senate when they vote on an issue during their plenaries solely lies on the Senate President.

Once I watched the president asked:
“Those in support say Aye”.

Some said “aye”.
“Those against say nay” he prompted again.

More Congressmen chorused “naaaay!”.

“The ayes have it” he concluded with the gavel.

And then I thought, “there should be a better way of doing things than shoving deceit down the throats of the citizenry”.

Then I thought of an electronic panel with two buttons, AYE and NAY, installed on every seat in the hallowed chamber. The display board large enough to be conspicuous to everyone.

Once the president calls for a vote, the result should determine his pronouncement.

Transparency should be our watchword if we mean to serve those who voted us in.

What do you think?

http://www.obitteleo..com.ng/#!http://obitteleo..com/2015/10/aye-and-nay-saying-congressmen.html
Re: Aye And Nay-Saying Senators by dunkem21(m): 11:12am On Oct 30, 2015
Re: Aye And Nay-Saying Senators by playtheblues(f): 11:28am On Oct 30, 2015
So bad.
Re: Aye And Nay-Saying Senators by Mynd44: 11:36am On Oct 30, 2015
Actually, they can vote electronically but that's only if any senator raises an objection to the voice vote. They can also have a manual vote count which is done by the clerk of the house.

As to what you witnessed...everyone already agreed to the "aye" as the vote is probably a standard thing but some senator like to troll once a while.
Re: Aye And Nay-Saying Senators by Lionize: 11:53am On Oct 30, 2015
Mynd44:
Actually, they can vote electronically but that's only if any senator raises an objection to the voice vote. They can also have a manual vote count which is done by the clerk of the house.

As to what you witnessed...everyone already agreed to the "aye" as the vote is probably a standard thing but some senator like to troll once a while.

It's likely they do what they do to save time, manual counting may not do the magic.
Re: Aye And Nay-Saying Senators by Mynd44: 12:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
Lionize:

It's likely they do what they do to save time, manual counting may not do the magic.
In situations where the vote is going to be tight, they might. Especially on controversial bills

(1) (Reply)

Buhari: I Want To Be Remembered As The President Who Fought Corruption / Biafra Is Dead And Buried – Akinjide / Charity Begins At Home, Okorocha’s Kinsman Reminds Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.