Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,776 members, 7,862,567 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 07:45 PM

Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch (804 Views)

Husband, Wife Compete For Adultery After Failed Marriage In Lagos / How Did Our Parents 'do It', That We Never Caught Them While We Were Kids / What Nigerian Parents Failed To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by mrrights: 11:40am On Oct 31, 2015
OUR PARENTS FAILED US – By Lurd Bouch
www.mrrights.com.ng
News
Politics
Opinion
Peace & Conflict Resolution
Human Rights Issues
Entertainment
Relationship
Write for Us

Home - Opinion - OUR PARENTS FAILED US – By Lurd Bouch
http://mrrights.com.ng/index.php/2015/10/31/our-parents-failed-us-by-lurd-bouch/

It is no longer news that for the first time in a long while, three generations meet- The older generations – Pre-early 1980s, my generation – early 1980s – mid 2000s, and the younger generation – mid 2000s – present day.

The meeting point is satiated with morality and economic equilibration. It used to be that children look up to the elderly ones for moral and economic dependence, for hope and wisdom. Today, we are all like crabs in a basket. Sadly but true, the purpose of parenting and tutelage has been defeated, and upon this I’d say: OUR FATHERS HAVE FAILED US BUT WE CANT FAIL OUR KIDS.

One might wish to ask, how have our fathers failed us? Have they not sent us to school? Have they not raised us up properly? etc. Yes they have, but still they’ve failed us – They sent us to school but they never educated us, they said we should be good kids, patriotic, and accommodate strangers, but they towed the path of sentiment, tribalism, and religion. They spoke a lot on pureness but they practiced hypocrisy. They hyped so much on love and respect, but they live in hate. While the men took in young girls their daughter’s age for pleasure, the women replaced their husbands with their drivers and gardeners. They never thought about us, they never planned for us, they never laid good structures for us to build on. They never prepared properly for us. All they do is give excuses. www.mrrights.com.ng

My generation, they (the older generation) made us believe when we sang that nursery rhyme “Parents listen to your children, we are the leaders of tomorrow, try to pay our school fees, and give us a sound education” – They cheated and lied to us. Sadly, they still use us to their gains, they give us weapons, entice us with millions of Naira, issue out orders, and stupidly we follow. We, by our own hands, are destroying our generation. We can no longer trust each other. We have inherited from them those things that has killed their generation – greed, hypocrisy, religion, and unpatrotism. We handed them our rights by accepting their Greek gifts, and to the detriment of our generation and the younger, by that, they manipulate us, and we have no moral ground but obey.

My generation, For how long can this be? Open your eyes and see. Look to the future (Younger generation) and understand that the purpose [that we, (my generation) might learn their (older generation) successes, avoid their mistakes, be a better us, and create a better tomorrow (younger generation)], this generation is being defiled. Yes! We are learning but the bad. Yes! We are teaching but the evils and danger that we have learned. We have so much indulged in, those things our land forbids us do, those things termed barbaric but kept our land sacred. We have grown in us a great seed of greed and discord, a long line of religion and hypocrisy, a huge emissary of disrespect and lack of love. Oh! But why? www.mrrights.com.ng

My generation, if we do not take this as a challenge seeing how gloomy the future is, to correct the wrongs, say no to ills, avoid the mistakes these oldies made, one day, our kids would walk into our study with a fully loaded revolver, tears streaming down their eyes, and these words in their mouth “FATHER, YOU HAVE FAILED ME”, then empty that fully loaded revolver on our rich and already breathless head.

My generation, OUR FATHERS HAVE FAILED US. BUT WE CANT FAIL OUR KIDS. NO! NEVER!!
http://mrrights.com.ng/index.php/2015/10/31/our-parents-failed-us-by-lurd-bouch/

1 Like

Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by HighIQ(m): 11:46am On Oct 31, 2015
That's your thought Op
Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by edwife(f): 11:56am On Oct 31, 2015
Well not applicable to me... cheesy They did a wonderful job.

Gob bless my parents;especially my mum. kiss
Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by 1k001(m): 5:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
edwife:

While they may have done a wonderful job in their homes, they did a terrible job as a collective generation. Bequeathing us nothing but unemployment and failed dreams. We can't do the same to our kids, our jobs as parents extend beyond just our home to making sure society as a whole is fair to all.

Remember that evil triumphs when good men do nothing. Many of our good parents did nothing or didn't do enough.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by Stillfire: 6:42pm On Oct 31, 2015
1k001:

While they may have done a wonderful job in their homes, they did a terrible job as a collective generation. Bequeathing us nothing but unemployment and failed dreams. We can't do the same to our kids, our jobs as parents extend beyond just our home to making sure society as a whole is fair to all.

Remember that evil triumphs when good men do nothing. Many of our good parents did nothing or didn't do enough.

Absolutely agree.
You have just recanted the exact sentiments I ponder on frequently. As a collective it is a disaster.
As a Nigerian one absolutely needs to question these things. Why can't these values translate into the larger society? Politically, socially, morally, despite the number of religious houses, Nigeria is a disaster. Something is not right within the family network, because that is the microcosm of any society. Our generation absolutely needs to do better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by babygirlfl: 6:50pm On Oct 31, 2015
Any generation should leave the next generation a better one than they had.

The common good of all supersedes the common good of one person.

The family which is the basic functional unit of the society is faulty and translate into the wider society.

I would also like to say that our generation is now a generation who have no idea of why something was done in the old yet some people don't want to question it neither do they want someone else to question it as things have to be done as it has always been done even if those things are not applicable today. That something comes in the form of culture, tradition, religion and old laws that needs updating.

5 Likes

Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by SAMBARRY: 6:52pm On Oct 31, 2015
edwife:

gbam. They have done more than enough and much more and i WIll be extremely ungrateful if i subscribe to op school of thought
Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by mrrights: 9:49pm On Oct 31, 2015
hum
Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by 1k001(m): 5:44pm On Nov 02, 2015
Stillfire:

Absolutely agree.
You have just recanted the exact sentiments I ponder on frequently. As a collective it is a disaster.
As a Nigerian one absolutely needs to question these things. Why can't these values translate into the larger society? Politically, socially, morally, despite the number of religious houses, Nigeria is a disaster. Something is not right within the family network, because that is the microcosm of any society. Our generation absolutely needs to do better.

Bravo! 10,000 likes to you!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Parents Failed Us – By Lurd Bouch by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 02, 2015
Is not like they failed totally, but there are things that would have been better for our generation, if they had done them differently.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Stranger In Your Home / 18 Things Mentally Strong People Do / How To Save Money For Food For Your Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.