Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,051 members, 7,810,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems (2144 Views)

Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC / Innoson Releases 4x4 IVM Carrier (Photos) / France To Ban All Petrol And Diesel Vehicles And Every Oil Products By 2040 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by nativedoctor(m): 3:13pm On Oct 31, 2015
hello friends,
i have been wondering why 4x4 suvs keep having steering problems.
i have had a prado that i changed steering rack and power steering pump twice.
i changed steering rack and pump of my 4runner once and ball joints and tie rods.about 3 times.
now i have a landcruiser and i have to replace both front shafts . the pump has also started squealing.
other 4x4 suv users i know also have similar issues.
what could be the cause?
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by samally: 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2015
Try MB ml320 or Land rover Defender..
i don't trust Asia vehicle when it comes to issue of OFF road vehicles

1 Like

Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by mayor2013: 9:13pm On Oct 31, 2015
nativedoctor:
hello friends,
i changed steering rack and pump of my 4runner once and ball joints and tie rods.about 3 times.
now i have a landcruiser and i have to replace both front shafts . the pump has also started squealing.
what could be the cause?

Problem of buying substandard parts
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by moscoe(m): 1:06am On Nov 01, 2015
mayor2013:

Problem of buying substandard parts

You need to be careful in handling the auxiliary gear. Whenever you put on the auxiliary button on and after passing through a difficult place, immediately turn off the auxiliary button. If left on, and you are turning the steering for a long time, it is bound to develop such problems you are having regularly. I have a Pathfinder suv 2005 model and I have never had steering problems.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by kingreign(m): 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2015
samally:

You don bring another rubbish rivalry come this thread again.

Mind you, Prado, 4Runner, Nissan Patrol, Mitsubishi Pajero are amongst the best offroaders.

1 Like

Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by samally: 1:28pm On Nov 02, 2015
Well....
I don't know much about suv and off road vehicle...

ml 320 and defender are more powerful than the below listed. if you dont care about the fuel consumption...

kingreign:

You don bring another rubbish rivalry come this thread again.

Mind you, Prado, 4Runner, Nissan Patrol, Mitsubishi Pajero are amongst the best offroaders.

1 Like

Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by kingreign(m): 3:20pm On Nov 02, 2015
samally:
Well....

ml 320 and defender are more powerful than the below listed. if you dont care about the fuel consumption...

fortunately i know alot about them.

Go watch youtube videos of Aussies and Arabs doing offroads mountain climbing, mud crawling.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by Raymie(m): 8:29pm On Nov 02, 2015
samally:
Well....
did yhu just include the ML as an off roader? Sorry to burst yhur bubble, but the ML is a tall car with large tires and high ground clearance. It's an SUE by categorization, not by character.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by kingreign(m): 8:42pm On Nov 02, 2015
Raymie:
did yhu just include the ML as an off roader? Sorry to burst yhur bubble, but the ML is a tall car with large tires and high ground clearance. It's an SUE by categorization, not by character.

An ML is a good offroader. Its got low range and locking diffs if its the 4MATIC. It also have DAC and HCA and HOLD which are off road tools. That said, those Japanese trucks I mentioned, will easily kill it. The ultimate offroad tool being the wrangler.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by nativedoctor(m): 7:47am On Nov 03, 2015
im nor arguing about off road prowess.
i am just asking why 4x4 suvs are prone to steering and front suspension issues.

talking about off road...i go off road ocassionally for fun. if there are also other off roaders on this forum i'd like to meet and maybe do some dune bashing sometime.

2 Likes

Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by kingreign(m): 8:02am On Nov 03, 2015
nativedoctor:
im nor arguing about off road prowess.
i am just asking why 4x4 suvs are prone to steering and front suspension issues.

talking about off road...i go off road ocassionally for fun. if there are also other off roaders on this forum i'd like to meet and maybe do some dune bashing sometime.

The front ends of SUVs are heavy due to the engines, the gearbox and the locking differential being towards the front end. This coupled with the undulating offroad terrain poses strain to the front suspensions. As for the steering, most offroad SUVs have steerings whivh aren't quite suited for on road hence when you turn a steering on an offroader you'll get plenty free play.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by nativedoctor(m): 8:07am On Nov 03, 2015
kingreign:

The front ends of SUVs are heavy due to the engines, the gearbox and the locking differential being towards the front end. This coupled with the undulating offroad terrain poses strain to the front suspensions. As for the steering, most offroad SUVs have steerings whivh aren't quite suited for on road hence when you turn a steering on an offroader you'll get plenty free play.
very good point you have there @kingreign. i wonder why car manufacturers have not got a permanent fix for that.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by nativedoctor(m): 8:13am On Nov 03, 2015
samally:
i love both vehicles you mentioned but a friend who has an ml320 discouraged me from buying one. defenders are bloody expensive and only a rare few tokunbo ones come with auto trans and air conditioning
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by kingreign(m): 8:16am On Nov 03, 2015
nativedoctor:

i love both vehicles you mentioned but a friend who has an ml320 discouraged me from buying one. defenders are bloody expensive and only a rare few tokunbo ones come with auto trans and air conditioning
Try these: wrangler, Landcruiser, Prado, 4Runner, Nissan Patrol, Mitsubishi Pajero and come thank me later.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by nativedoctor(m): 12:04pm On Nov 03, 2015
kingreign:

Try these: wrangler, Landcruiser, Prado, 4Runner, Nissan Patrol, Mitsubishi Pajero and come thank me later.
i've had the prado and 4runner. now i drive the landcruiser. prado is awesome off road.
pajero is good off road but has a not very durable engine.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by kingreign(m): 12:17pm On Nov 03, 2015
nativedoctor:

i've had the prado and 4runner. now i drive the landcruiser. prado is awesome off road.
pajero is good off road but has a not very durable engine.
Truth is Mitsubishi engines are delicate and can't withstand abuse unlike Toyota engines.
That said, even the FJcruiser is awesome off road. I've got to also mention Lexus the luxury sister of the Toyota marque. their trucks being luxurious are very off road capable. They are capable of fording a 1000mm water compared to a 600mm ford depth of the G wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K-NUNgaM6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNM2Aab4YrU
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by honmusa(m): 2:29pm On Nov 03, 2015
nativedoctor:
hello friends,
what could be the cause?
fallacy of hasty generalization. grin
nativedoctor:
hello friends,
what could be the cause?
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by Rumin8(m): 6:43am On Dec 21, 2015
nativedoctor:
hello friends,
what could be the cause?

I have a 2008 VW Passat, V6 4Motion and I have had to change my steering rack as well. In my case, the propeller tore through the rack, causing stiffness of the steering before eventually failing. The propeller did this because as I unfortunately found out too late, the propeller pad had broken, causing the propeller to drop a few inches and make contact with steering rack.

Perhaps this could be a cause of steering failure for other all wheel drives.
Re: 4x4 Vehicles And Steering Problems by iamLeo(m): 9:22pm On Dec 23, 2015
kingreign:

U left out d AM General, the hummer 1. The most capable 4x4 on d planet

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Liberty Jeep / Between A Lexus Rx 300(2003),ml 350 (2003) And An Acura Mdx(2006) Tokunbo / Car Battery Theft: Is There A Lasting Solution?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.