Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,285 members, 7,836,261 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman (1722 Views)

EFCC Arrests Lara Amosu, Recovers $1m In Soakaway Pit / Diezani Funny Memes Trends On Twitter - See How Nigerians React (photos) / See How Nigerians Hate Asari Dokubo (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by jona2: 12:22am On May 10, 2009
How Nigerians fraudster duped me of $1m— American businessman   
Written by VANGUARD     
Sunday, 10 May 2009 

[b]AN American businessman, Mr. Brandon Benson, has narrated in graphic details how a Nigerian fraudster, Engr. Taiye Ogboyomi, allegedly obtained $1million from him under false pretence.

The American who is the president of Pipeline North Energy Inc, USA was brought into the country by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC to testify in a case of Advance Fee Fraud brought against the suspect before Justice G.K Olotu of the Federal High Court, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

In his testimony before the court on Tuesday, May 5 and Thursday, May 7, the American businessman said that Engr. Ogbonyomi who is the chairman of Energy Spread Network Ltd had sometime in 2006 contacted him and told him that he was a crude oil marketer with large quantity of crude oil for sale. An agreement was subsequently signed online by both parties for the sale of 1.985 million barrel of crude oil.

This made the victim to send the first installment of $229,000 and another $5,000 on November 6, 2006 into the accused company’s domiciliary account with First Inland Bank Plc. The payment was said to be for charter party agreement.

With the first breakthrough, Ogbonyomi demanded the payment of $159,000 for documentation at the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC. This the suspect said was to enable him obtain certificate of origin, certificate of quantity, bill of lading, cargo manifest, tanker village report and master’s receipt of documents.

When the documents were eventually sent to the American businessman, he was further convinced to wire $425,000 to the fraudster who claimed the fund was for the warranty of title. That was shortly before another $180,000 was sent to the accused to seal the deal bringing the total sum lost to the fraudulent transaction to $989,000.

Investigation by EFCC operatives has, however, shown that the entire documents sent to the victim were forged by the suspect to make the deal look genuine. The suspect was eventually arrested on November 11, 2007when the matter was reported to the EFCC and arraigned before Justice Olotu on October 23, 2008 on a 10-count charge of criminal conspiracy and obtaining under false pretence. [/b] The suspect’s trial commenced fully on February 3, 2009 when the lead investigator, Mr. Abdulrasheed Bawa gave evidence which he concluded last Tuesday, May 5. Soon after Bawa stepped down from the witness box, the American businessman stepped in to give evidence which he concluded on Thursday, May 7. After the victim’s account of his ordeal in the hands of Ogbonyomi, the trial judge adjourned the case to June 3, for continuation of trial. The victim has since Friday morning, May 7, left for his base in the U.S.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/35520/42/
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by sosisi(f): 12:25am On May 10, 2009
ole meet ole
pawa pass pawa grin
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by MrCrackles(m): 12:26am On May 10, 2009
Yahooze ooo!Yahoozee ooo!! cheesy

Maga don pay, shout Halleluyah! grin
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by jamace(m): 1:32pm On May 10, 2009
Halleluyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by IFELEKE(m): 2:25pm On May 10, 2009
A Tale Of 3 Thieves. . .Maga,Maga Controller and The EFCC

Good Riddance To Bad Rubbish.
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by udezue(m): 2:59pm On May 10, 2009
Anywayz like they are not ripping people off.
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by banom(m): 3:07pm On May 10, 2009
*jona:

AN American businessman, Mr. Brandon Benson, has narrated in graphic details how a Nigerian fraudster, Engr. Taiye Ogboyomi, allegedly obtained $1million from him under false pretence.

Wrong statement,

HOW A YORUBA FRAUDSTER ALLEGEDLY OBTAINED $1MILLION FROM HIM UNDER FALSE PRETENCE.
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by Akpangbon: 3:13pm On May 10, 2009
@Banom

you r a kangaroo.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by Enquirer: 3:47pm On May 10, 2009
Greed met greed, and what do you think could have been the possible outcome, otherwise. Most victims of 419 are greedy and that increases their vulnerability. If the American had done his due diligence through the Nigerian embassy in the U.S, he would probably have been saved from his ordeal. He must have been living in a cave in the Tora Bora mountains in Afaghanistan with Osama Been Hiding not have known that he who does business with Nigerians has to do so with a very long spoon.
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by smile4kenn(m): 3:53pm On May 10, 2009
The American should be arrested for greed, bribery and foolishness.
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by Thadude(m): 4:37pm On May 10, 2009
Foolishness is not a crime in the west, (Tony Blair)
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by biina: 5:26pm On May 10, 2009
person wey wan die, jam person we go kill and bury am. shikena!
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by yicob(m): 7:12pm On May 10, 2009
N150,000,000. . . . .Chicken change.
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by AloyEmeka9: 7:16pm On May 10, 2009
Who cares?. He was greedy and got played.
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by ademocrat(m): 3:16pm On May 11, 2009
"you cannot dupe an honest man" simple. Why did he want crude oil without going through the appropriate channel,m crude oil "na beans" ?
Re: How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman by Badriyyah(f): 3:33pm On May 11, 2009
Good for him. Next time he won't be greedy. Useless people they won't mind aiding people to rob Nigeria, and now He wants us to feel sorry for him?? Fool.

(1) (Reply)

Sahara Reporters Paid £150,000 To Release Picture Of Bomber To Bbc. / Radio Nigeria And Cnn Reporter Attacked During Burial Of Jos Crisis Victims / "born-again" Pdp Chieftains Exposes 13 Methods Of Rigging Elections! ! !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.