Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! (10341 Views)

Ezinne Chime And Ken Nnamani Are Engaged (Photos) / Ken Nnamani Leaves A Book Launch Visibly Angry During Argument Over Biafra / Ken Nnamani Joins APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by lalasticlala(m): 11:18am On Nov 02, 2015
Ken Nnamani Turns 67 Today!

Happy birthday to the ex senate President..

5 Likes

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by BreezyCB(m): 11:19am On Nov 02, 2015
Happy Birthday LLNP Sir U qo reach 150

4 Likes

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by Macelliot(m): 11:19am On Nov 02, 2015
lalasticlala:
is He still alive? Funny!
Happy birthday!
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by ibksiv(m): 11:20am On Nov 02, 2015
okay.
thieves! all of them

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by sandraokosun1: 11:21am On Nov 02, 2015
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by peeparty(m): 11:21am On Nov 02, 2015
Good to see him again.
Happy birthday sir.

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by sandraokosun1: 11:21am On Nov 02, 2015
ok

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by sandraokosun1: 11:22am On Nov 02, 2015
g
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by sandraokosun1: 11:25am On Nov 02, 2015
My birthday in 2days abeg o

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by sandraokosun1: 11:25am On Nov 02, 2015
see lands
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by ibrams(m): 11:28am On Nov 02, 2015
congrats sir,..... wish you long life and prosperity...... 67 no be day job.....
pray I exceed yours like double..... grin
I shall never die young...... And so also everybody in this thread...... Amin

13 Likes

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:30am On Nov 02, 2015
That's okay
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 02, 2015
The man that stopped third term.....
Igbo Kwenu.........................................Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shocked
On a second note, a third term by OBJ government would have been better than Jonathan's clueless administration.
Igbos' are indeed doing well grin
Happy Birthday Sir grin grin grin
Kedu ka eke sa anyanwu?

6 Likes

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by jaykaylegend(m): 11:39am On Nov 02, 2015
.e
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by Aminat508(f): 11:39am On Nov 02, 2015
angry

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by laudate: 11:53am On Nov 02, 2015
lalasticlala:

I just like this guy. He is quite refined. No gra-gra, no ostentation. He does not engage in loud-mouthed hate speeches. Nigerians are still grateful to Sen. Ken Nnamani for saving them from former President Obasanjo's ambition. He stood his grounds and slugged it out with OBJ in 2006, when he announced the Senate's decision to throw out an amendment to Nigeria's constitution, that would have allowed OBJ to run for a third term. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by laudate: 11:53am On Nov 02, 2015
lalasticlala:

An interview was held with him sometime ago. Please read this.

Senate president can declare seats vacant –Nnamani | by

Ever since leaving the exalted seat of senate president in 2007, Dr Ken Nnamani has maintained a studied posture on national affairs, intermittently immersing himself in party issues and national commentaries. Emerging from the lacerations and even adulations of the abortion of the third term gambit of ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo, he zoomed straight into a group known as G21 which metamorphosed into the “PDP reform forum”. It earned him a suspension from the party.

His co-travellers like former House of Representatives Speaker, Aminu Masari, and former Federal Capital Territory , FCT, Minister. Malam El-Rufai have since found succour in the bosom of All Progressives Congress ,APC. Nnamani speaks with calculated reluctance. He is wary or being misunderstood or catching the notch of an ever present newsmaker. He would prod consciously to know the last time he granted an interview or made head-lines. When he was told it had clocked two years down the line, he shrugged his shoulders and a tentative date was made.

The interview in Abuja was not to hold as he had to hurry off to his home state of Enugu for some engagements. Not to be swayed, Sunday Sun was hot on his heels to the coal city, where on a bright Sunday morning, we settled in his Amaechi – Awkananaw palatial home to do this interview. There were break-ups as his political associates and friends sauntered in for pleasantries. Howbeit, in three hours, the deed was done.

He relieves his tumultuous tenure over the third term gambit of ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo, daring apologists of the ex-president that no magic would have pulled through the plot under him as senate president. He reminisces on the toll it had on him and the technical fault he latched on to nail it. He sums it up in these words: “I had to be courageous to say, okay we have come to the end of the journey, no matter what it will cost me. It cost me quite a bit. There is a big sacrifice in making such a decision. I know certain entitlements that I never got.

"Don’t mind those who are boasting that if they had wanted it to succeed, they would have done it. I don’t know how else they would have made it to succeed. I don’t know the magic they would have done. I was on the saddle.”

He speaks on his struggle against what he termes “garrison politics in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, expressing delight that the buzzword in the party today is reform. Nnamani warns defectors from the PDP to the APC to thread softly as they risk losing their seats.

Evidently, with the power of hindsight, he declares “From the constitution, the powers of the senate president is enormous in matters like this. If he makes a pronouncement, he is just following the constitution. Even if they go to court, they will not be attending sittings, until the court adjudicates. I don’t think it is proper for them to jeopardize their positions in the National Assembly.

He further excoriates legislators who are dabbling into executive functions like empowerment schemes and constituency projects. “Anybody so desirous of making money, I think the legislative arm is the wrong place to go, because the opportunity for huge contracts and big business is not there, and it is understandable why it is so” he intones.

Nnamani also speaks on the proposed National Conference, suggesting that the six geo-political zones should be enshrined in the constitution, as well as fiscal responsibility, which is an ingenious variant of resource control. He votes for a two party system and non-negotiation of the unity of the country at the confab among other burning issues.

Here are excerpts from the encounter:

Ques: In a short while, the proposed National Conference will roll off. There are controversies over the mode of selection of delegates and the timing. Opposition to it also flows from the fact that previous ones were never put to use. How do you see it?

I think it is an excellent development. I praise the political courage of Mr. President to constitute the National Conference. Those who are talking about the timing, well, I don’t know when will be the best time. But I think it is appropriate that we do it since people are complaining that they are marginalised. So many people are bitter and it is important that we sit down and use ballot papers instead of bullets. So, I think we should dialogue even if we have gone to war, we will still sit down to talk. For Mr. President to initiate this, I think it is appropriate and necessary. Rather than complain, let us go find ways to discuss. The conference boils down to dialogue among different groups in Nigeria. I think it is a welcome development. Every person in my view, should give it a chance to succeed.

Ques: Pessimism on the outcome of the conference is predicated on the fact that previous ones were just mere talk-shops and no bite. Again, this is an election year. Do you not think it is a distraction?

I don’t believe it is a distraction because it is an election year, or a build up to a general election. In my view, if we have had several conferences that came to almost nothing, it does not mean that we will stop holding dialogue. Because people go to war and get killed does not mean that there will be no wars. What we should do is to think positively that this one will succeed. I said, it is good to use words rather than weapons. It is good to use ballot papers rather than bullets.

Ques: Then, what is key on your mind, to be addressed at the conference?

For instance, we have six geo-political zones which are not in the Nigerian constitution. That should be taken care of by this type of conference. We should now find a way of entrenching the zonal structure and get equality of zones just like we have equality of states though the South East has five states, one zone has seven, the rest six. Well, there are some states that have fewer local government areas than others. Bayelsa has about eight local governments. It is still a state. Kano has 44 it is still a state. There is equality of states.

Therefore, if we can entrench the zonal structure in our constitution, we will have equality of zones. Things should be shared according to that structure. In which case, no zone will feel alienated. If they like they can create more states. Like some states are creating what is called development areas, which is not part of the local government structure recognized by the constitution.

The constitution recognizes, 774 local governments. But some states have created what they have intelligently coined to be development areas. So, I think the confab could contribute towards getting the zonal structure entrenched. There are other areas that could be streamlined. http://www.dna-nigeria.com/senate-president-can-declare-seats-vacant-nnamani/
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by obailala(m): 12:01pm On Nov 02, 2015
WHere has he gone to?
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by DICKtator: 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2015
Perhaps he was the one that invited a coaster bus full of secondary school girls probably for a pre birthday?

Oya shortgun "comma" confam!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by walemadu: 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2015
congrats sir!
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by Kufie(m): 12:08pm On Nov 02, 2015
This man was a strong looter.

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by jackmartial(m): 12:09pm On Nov 02, 2015
football abi na politics age?,.....anyways happy buffday sir
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by DATAW0NDER: 12:09pm On Nov 02, 2015
Oh that's good
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by miqos02(m): 12:09pm On Nov 02, 2015
he is getting old
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by wellmax(m): 12:09pm On Nov 02, 2015
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HIM
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by ylaa(f): 12:09pm On Nov 02, 2015
na you wan kill am?

Macelliot:

is He still alive? Funny!

Happy birthday!
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 02, 2015
Nigerian politician=Nigerian Enemy
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by qualityovenbake(m): 12:11pm On Nov 02, 2015
Happy birthday sir! Wishing you long life and prosperity
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by ibksiv(m): 12:11pm On Nov 02, 2015
BreezyCB:
Happy Birthday LLNP Sir U qo reach 150

i go give am my life.

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by Sweetcollins: 12:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
AdaNri1:
Nigerian politician=Nigerian Enemy

Are u avictim of bleeping?
Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by free2ryhme: 12:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
I don't celebrate thieves and moral bankrupt individuals angry

1 Like

Re: Ken Nnamani Celebrates 67th Birthday Today! by Kulas: 12:14pm On Nov 02, 2015
Happy Born Day Onwa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ijaws: The Most Hypocritical (we Niger Delta) / Kanu Is Finished / We Will Retrieve Stolen Presidential Mandate Says PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.