Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,253 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? (2625 Views)

Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos / Corper Divorces Her Husband In Jos, Refunds N80K Dowry / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Gracebegatme: 9:06am On Nov 04, 2015
Sometimes ago, i heard dowry is the money paid by a woman(the wife) to a man(the husband) while bride price is the money paid by the husband to the wife's family.Nairalanders how true is this?
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by MrHighSea: 9:17am On Nov 04, 2015
D one wey d gurl papa c chop na Dowry, d one wey d gurl chop in form of shopping, fast food n recharge card na bride price.
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Mynd44: 9:21am On Nov 04, 2015
Bride price is the money the groom pays to the bride's family while dowry is the money and personal effects that the bride takes to her new home.

So dowry are the gifts the bride collects from her parents and takes to her home... It might include pots, pans, household items etc.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Gracebegatme: 9:38am On Nov 04, 2015
Mynd44:
Bride price is the money the groom pays to the bride's family while dowry is the money and personal effects that the bride takes to her new home.

So dowry are the gifts the bride collects from her parents and takes to her home... It might include pots, pans, household items etc.
By personal effects,did u mean her properties?
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Mynd44: 11:33am On Nov 04, 2015
Gracebegatme:
By personal effects,did u mean her properties?
Yes. But bought by her parents
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by miqos02(m): 1:57pm On Nov 04, 2015
no diff
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Gracebegatme: 4:12pm On Nov 04, 2015
Mynd44:
Yes. But bought by her parents
OKAY!
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
We all know what brideprice is, right? Okay, dowry is the opposite.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by lovaleenny(f): 12:32am On Nov 05, 2015
Gracebegatme:
Sometimes ago, i heard dowry is the money paid by a woman(the wife) to a man(the husband) while bride price is the money paid by the husband to the wife's family.Nairalanders how true is this?

DOWRY- Payment, as property or money, of a bride’s inheritance by her family to the groom or his family at the time of marriage.
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by totalhouse(m): 5:21pm On Nov 09, 2015
Gaborone:
We all know what brideprice is, right? Okay, dowry is the opposite.
Wants to know more.... Are you serious?
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
totalhouse:

Want to know more.... Are you serious?

Hallos! Hope you had a swell day...?

Yelssss, I'm serious. I guess you can simply, but colloquially refer to it as 'groomprice'.

The culture is rife in India. I even remember a scene from this very inspiring film I watched some time ago: 3 Idiots, where a lady and her mum were lamenting about her single status. They were intimating the 'Actor'
of their failure to pay the dowry needed to get the girl married, because of their lack of funds, and how sad they were that despite the fact that she was advancing in age, they were still not able to raise the dowry needed for a wedding.

Twisted, right?

cheesy
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by totalhouse(m): 6:09am On Nov 10, 2015
Gaborone:

Hallos! Hope you had a swell day...?

Yelssss, I'm serious. I guess you can simply, but colloquially refer to it as 'groomprice'.

The culture is rife in India. I even remember a scene from this very inspiring film I watched some time ago: 3 Idiots, where a lady and her mum were lamenting about her single status. They were intimating the 'Actor'
of their failure to pay the dowry needed to get the girl married, because of their lack of funds, and how sad they were that despite the fact that she was advancing in age, they were still not able to raise the dowry needed for a wedding.

Twisted, right?

:De
Twisted. You took me Tru the narrow way but still not close to the kingdom. I know u might be playing wt words here.... Simply put, dowry can also be called groom price. OK. Gaborone, the radical and charismatic lawyer... Make yourself available offline pls.
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Ursino(f): 10:33am On Nov 10, 2015
MrHighSea:
D one wey d gurl papa c chop na Dowry, d one wey d gurl chop in form of shopping, fast food n recharge card na bride price.

Ode!
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by MrHighSea: 10:35am On Nov 10, 2015
Ursino:

Ode!
Guilty?
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Ursino(f): 10:43am On Nov 10, 2015
BRIDE PRICE is the money the man gives to the woman's parents as part of the marriage rites. While DOWRY is what the woman's parents give her to take to establish herself in her new home. It can be hoes, pots, drums, stove etc that she needs to start a new home, not necessarily money. Understand?
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Ursino(f): 10:53am On Nov 10, 2015
MrHighSea:
Guilty?

As in?
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by afrikaa: 1:31pm On Nov 10, 2015
Okay i ve learnt this one today.... smiley smiley

Had it been an interview, would have failed like kilode grin thought they meant the same thing, imagine!!.
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 10, 2015
totalhouse:

Twisted. You took me Tru the narrow way but still not close to the kingdom. I know u might be playing wt words here.... Simply put, dowry can also be called groom price. OK. Gaborone, the radical and charismatic lawyer... Make yourself available offline pls.

Hi totalhouse,

Sorry I didn't explain it well enough. The dowry is simply the gifts and all, required by the groom's family and given by the bride's to them, to contract a marriage.

lol@radical and charismatic. I'm just trying to try. Thanks.

I'm open to talking offline.

Nyt!
Re: What Is The Different Between Dowry And Bride Price? by totalhouse(m): 10:52pm On Nov 10, 2015
Gaborone:

Hi totalhouse,

Sorry I didn't explain it well enough. The dowry is simply the gifts and all, required by the groom's family and given by the bride's to them, to contract a marriage.

lol@radical and charismatic. I'm just trying to try. Thanks.

I'm open to talking offline.

Nyt!

OK.
Open to talking offline, how? On what platform? Fb, whatsapp, phone etc?
Which law firm, chamber do u work for? Or are u doing other things outside law?

(1) (Reply)

I Have Questions Concerning Marriage, As A Young Man. / 22 Weeks Old Marriage But 25 Weeks Old Pregnancy / Cussons Baby Moments 7: Your Baby Stands A Chance To Win 2 Million Naira!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.