Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? (4233 Views)

Different Types Of Pregnant Nigerian Women - Meme Collection / 5 Generations Of Beautiful Nigerian Women (Photo) / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by armyofone(m): 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2015
Please wash and send them over when you are done.

Ewuro4, add rope necklace, thanks in advance.

babygirlfl:

Madam pls I want some of that your matching shoe and bag. Thanks in advance.

Op,
She works hard for the money, work hard for it honey, so you better treat her right.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by cococandy(f): 9:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
I think there's an argument for both sides of the divide.
I love material things. But I don't think I'm vain.
I also understand the merits of saving and investing.
Very very important

So the solution would be a balance and of course one not living above their means.

I won't lie sha. A new designer bag or shoe or jewelry can cheer you up albeit temporarily if you were having a bad day before going shopping. grin
So OP maybe it's a source of happiness for those we would term overly materialistic.

People do what makes them happy I guess.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Kimoni: 9:46pm On Nov 05, 2015
OP bia, which type of material biko? voile, chord, organza or swiss lace undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by babygirlfl: 10:36pm On Nov 05, 2015
armyofone:

Op,
She works hard for the money, work hard for it honey, so you better treat her right.

Hehehe. I don't share. grin and I am not going to be done with it soon. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by damiso(f): 10:47pm On Nov 05, 2015
So I can get you a bit OP.so are you querying WHY they buy the stuff or the value they place on the stuff or looking down on people who They think don't have the stuff ?

One thing one that helps in life is understanding that we all have different value and priorities so again(am on a roll tonight grin do YOU) find people who you share similar interests with chikena.

I like looking good as much as the next Nigerian woman and I won't lie (when younger) would base friendships on things like how a person dressed or looked ( na everyone we dey call razz that time grin razz is another slang for ratchet) but with time I have come to understand that a persons character goes far deeper than 'what' they wear or 'how they dress' . If some of my old friends see some of my new friends they would wonder what we talk about grin

Superficial things like 'I can never use synthetic weave ' won't make me look down on those who do.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Truckpusher(m): 10:53pm On Nov 05, 2015
Mynd44:
How can female Nigerians in different countries/Continents have the same attitude? Did they plan for this or is there a manual for bringing them up?

Since a manual does not exist, it is safe to say the women who form the majority of those you have met were influenced by the society and environment they reside in not the fact that they are Nigerians

Furthermore, if you have been to Europe, America, Asia etc and a majority of Nigerian women react to you in a negative attitude then have you sat down to think maybe you are the one with the problem?
Beautiful nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Acidosis(m): 10:55pm On Nov 05, 2015
If they don't buy, how will Louis Vuitton and Gucci make the dole?

If you understand the power of retail environment/experience and the behaviour of consumers, you won't blame Nigerian women.

These marketers and luxury brands have a way of enslaving the minds of buyers. You can't avoid them.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Truckpusher(m): 10:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
damiso:
So I can get you a bit OP.so are you querying WHY they buy the stuff or the value they place on the stuff or looking down on people who They think don't have the stuff ?

One thing one that helps in life is understanding that we all have different value and priorities so again(am on a roll tonight grin do YOU) find people who you share similar interests with chikena.

I like looking good as much as the next Nigerian woman and I won't lie (when younger) would base friendships on things like how a person dressed or looked ( na everyone we dey call razz that time grin razz is another slang for ratchet) but with time I have come to understand that a persons character goes far deeper than 'what' they wear or 'how they dress' . If some of my old friends see some of my new friends they would wonder what we talk about grin

Superficial things like 'I can never use synthetic weave ' won't make me look down on those who do.
You've not made any sense at all.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by damiso(f): 10:57pm On Nov 05, 2015
Truckpusher:
You've not made any sense at all.

Ok
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Truckpusher(m): 11:04pm On Nov 05, 2015
Acidosis:
If they don't buy, how will Louis Vuitton and Gucci make the dole?

If you understand the power of retail environment/experience and the behaviour of consumers, you won't blame Nigerian women.

These marketers and luxury brands have a way of enslaving the minds of buyers. You can't avoid them.
Perfectly right , until a society evolved on it's own it would always be subjected to external influence that promotes anything that serves as a means to an end.
Women are still materialistic all over the world and not just Nigerian women , they simply exist with different orientation on how to go about it.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Nov 05, 2015
NigerianBelle:
Look, all I can say is that I was not begrudging anyone the right to buy whatever she pleases or to wear it. Again, I'm talking about the importance put on these things. I am born to a Niaja family (but born the US side), so you can't really call my observations "eavesdropping." This is not a quick call, but years of intermingling with my sisters from home. I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't see a difference between the Nigerian women who have been here since childhood and newcomers.

Besides, all the individuals who are defending their "right" to buy expensive things and flaunt them, instead of answering the question, are proving my point rather than disproving it.

I totally get your point.

You come from an affluent country, they come from a poor country. This is why they consider these things so important and so special and this is why it is so foreign to you and why you do not place so much importance on such things.

The same phenomenon can also be observed on the national level in the US. Rappers show off their wealth more than any other group of people. Why? They come from a place of poverty.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Stillfire: 11:23pm On Nov 05, 2015
NigerianBelle:
It seems that the majority of the Nigerian women I've come in contact with abroad (not in Nigeria, but in America, Europe, &c) are extremely materialistic, shallow, and vain. So many of them focus on purses, shoes, labels, hair, makeup, and the like. When they come in contact with a sister, they don't talk about values of mind, body or spirit but the value of the bag on her arm or the gold in her earrings. Style, clothes, body image, and other similar topics seem to be the sole subject of their conversations. Why is this? Is it a cultural characteristic? Is it the economic status of the country that drives putting such an exaggerated value on materialistic items or physical attributes? Not that I have never come across a Nigerian woman who seems to have her values straight, but these are rare and far between.

This is true. There is an exaggerated value on materialistic items, 'hottest' trends and pop culture and I believe you aren't used to this type of show-offs hence this thread. It can feel weird or rather shocking to someone not used to the Nigerian social atmosphere.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Ewuro4: 12:14am On Nov 06, 2015
babygirlfl:

Hehehe. I don't share. grin and I am not going to be done with it soon. grin

armyofone:

Op,

LOL

You ladies will not kee me with laughter grin

Don't mind them jare.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Ewuro4: 12:18am On Nov 06, 2015
Mindfulness:

I totally get your point.

You come from an affluent country, they come from a poor country. This is why they consider these things so important and so special and this is why it is so foreign to you and why you do not place so much importance on such things.

The same phenomenon can also be observed on the national level in the US. Rappers show off their wealth more than any other group of people. Why? They come from a place of poverty.

Huh? undecided

Honey, are you being sarcastic or for reals?

What 'things' are you referring to about Nigerians that WELL TO DO oyinbos don't place much value on , if I may ask?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Ewuro4: 12:20am On Nov 06, 2015
Nigerians this Nigerians that, people should get off their individual locations , save up some doe , travel and see the world around them.

As in...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Ewuro4: 12:21am On Nov 06, 2015
Truckpusher:
Perfectly right , until a society evolved on it's own it would always be subjected to external influence that promotes anything that serves as a means to an end.
Women are still materialistic all over the world and not just Nigerian women , they simply exist with different orientation on how to go about it.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 06, 2015
Ewuro4:

Huh? undecided

Honey, are you being sarcastic or for reals?

What 'things' are you referring to about Nigerians that WELL TO DO oyinbos don't place much value on , if I may ask?

Showing off.
There are white people who are rich but don't show it. It is hard to find such people among Nigerians.

Why do you think rappers look like this? Why are they showing off money, cars and women they paid for in almost all of their videos?

Why doesn't Bill Gates behave like this? Why didn't Steve Jobs behave like this?

I also think that there are more white ladies who do not place as much value on fashion in the sense of "dress to impress" as Nigerian ladies even when they can afford high quality fashion.

I am not being judgmental here sweetheart, just descriptive.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by raumdeuter: 6:26pm On Nov 06, 2015
Its not unique to Nigerians its a women thing. They love fashion thats why women of different races flock to malls everytime and store that sell female stuff sell more

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Stillfire: 8:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
Mindfulness:

Showing off.
There are white people who are rich but don't show it. It is hard to find such people among Nigerians.

Why do you think rappers look like this? Why are they showing off money, cars and women they paid for in almost all of their videos?

Why doesn't Bill Gates behave like this? Why didn't Steve Jobs behave like this?

I also think that there are more white ladies who do not place as much value on fashion in the sense of "dress to impress" as Nigerian ladies even when they can afford high quality fashion.

You are even going far, in comparison to most Africans, Nigerians come tops in placing exaggerated value on material things.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by armyofone(m): 8:48pm On Nov 06, 2015
Go on winter, spring and summer vacation.
My Lord, I feel like traveling right now to the Maldives.

Ewuro4:
Nigerians this Nigerians that, people should get off their individual locations , save up some doe , travel and see the world around them.
As in...
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by MMotimo: 8:56pm On Nov 06, 2015
NigerianBelle:
It seems that the majority of the Nigerian women I've come in contact with abroad (not in Nigeria, but in America, Europe, &c) are extremely materialistic, shallow, and vain. So many of them focus on purses, shoes, labels, hair, makeup, and the like. When they come in contact with a sister, they don't talk about values of mind, body or spirit but the value of the bag on her arm or the gold in her earrings. Style, clothes, body image, and other similar topics seem to be the sole subject of their conversations. Why is this? Is it a cultural characteristic? Is it the economic status of the country that drives putting such an exaggerated value on materialistic items or physical attributes? Not that I have never come across a Nigerian woman who seems to have her values straight, but these are rare and far between.

I think you are referring to "flaunting"

First thing you have to understand is the background of these people back in Naija, their social circle in Oyinbo land and the easy availability of debt financing in Oyinbo land.

Someone that was oppressed growing up and with a deep sense of lack is more likely to go crazy with the possibilities available in Oyinbo land, particularly with debt financing available for such purchases. Someone trying to keep up with the Joneses in Oyinboland would also run into trouble. That they wear it does not mean they can afford it . "Nawo, nawo yato si Olowo." That they feel a need to make noise about it points to underlying, deep rooted psychological issues.

The cultured rich epitomize understated elegance and are mostly modest, no matter how much they have or what they wear. They will wear the good stuff but they make no noise about it because they were raised different and understand it is crass. What you see with a lot of these women you are talking about are folks leveraged to their eyeballs, owing money everywhere to keep up with the Joneses in order to "prove" what they believe others should believe about them eg I only shop at Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom so I must be rich, never mind it is on credit card debt or at parties, I sprayed $300, never mind that should have gone to paying the utility company for the arrears owing. Too many examples.

By the way, there are vintage stores aka secondhand that sell luxury items that our sisters patronize so they don't all pay market price for new even if they pretend to.

I find going to any large Naija party will expose you to such people, unlike when you mix within your core social circle that would typically have mostly people of similar values. If you are finding your experience to be like this within your core circle and it bothers you, you need new friends. If they are people outside of your core circle, blame it on a new Naija value system that only worships money or the perception of it.

In the end, net worth is key, not just what you have , but how what you owe reflects on what you have. Many people are deceived by the what you own/wear, never mind these are more often depreciating assets that don't hold their value.

Liking nice things doesn't necessarily mean you are materialistic, it just means you like nice things.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by gidjah(m): 9:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
Every man has a sedd of metrialism in him /her,so no be today
Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by Ewuro4: 3:02am On Nov 07, 2015
Mindfulness:

Showing off.

Right.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Women So Materialistic? by ladygogo: 5:39am On Nov 07, 2015
@Op. I dont even think the Nigerians abroad are as materialistic as the ones in Naija.

You need to visit Nigeria and see excessive materialism.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Difference Between Your Chi, Onye Ụwa, Ndị Ụwa And Ndị Otu. / How Do I Handle My Teenage Sis, As An Elder Bro. / The Vagina Story.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.