Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,198 members, 7,845,949 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

When Tears Run Dry: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Tears Run Dry: (663 Views)

The Horror! The Horror!” Till The Rivers Of Blood All Run Dry - Ogaga Ifowodo / Fuel Scarcity Looms As NNPC Depots Run Dry / Water Taps Run Dry At Lagos Airport, Tankers To The Rescue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When Tears Run Dry: by tymoti(m): 12:32pm On May 12, 2009
[color=Black][/color]

When man is pushed to ‘the wall’ two things would most likely happen. He would either fight back (explode) or become indifferent (implode). If he does not push back whatever seems to be making him retrogressive then the only alternative would be to accept it as a norm, a new way of life (a culture).

The global recession is no longer news (for the deaf have heard and the blind have seen its effects), so I’ll spare you the boredom associated with figures and statistics of this recently most discussed topic. Time would fail me to list the number of fortune 500 company’s that have closed ‘shop’ or the small business owners that depended on them for survival ( No, time is not so benevolent). I am sure you already know that, globally, people are losing their jobs at an alarming rate and suicidal tendencies are quite high in recent times.

Recently, a lot of disappointments were expressed about our exclusion from the G-20 economic summit and I wonder: honestly, were you surprised? Isn’t it obvious we don’t deserve that recognition? Because as a nation we do not have anything tangible to bring to the table as regards resolving this financial epidemic.

Even before this global crisis began companies in Nigeria had started folding-up, agricultural sector of our economy had become moribund, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) for a long time now had consistently complained that the infrastructural decay and fluctuating economic polices were serious affecting business, high interest rate was killing SMEs and . Then the-recession came and our stock market fell; crude-oil prices fell and our government’s spending spree became affected; was is not easier just hiking the dollar-naira exchange rate.

Isn’t it a shame that while other people-oriented governments are trying to battle issues affecting their economies, ours just fold their arms unperturbed?
We read of the financial aids been given to comatose companies or tax cuts for struggling small businesses. Yet in this part of the world where nothing bothers us until they become extreme, we are still masquerading in the belief that these problems would just disappear.

So tell me, what can the common man do when his government does not seem to care if he is hungry or sick? What is the expected behavior of a father who gets laid off because his employer can no longer afford paying his salary? How do you encourage a retiree who invested most of his pension-fund on stocks? How do you explain to the young minds serving their country in the national youth service program that no jobs await them and their lofty ideas would grow stale?

When tragedy occurs emotions are usually spilled in bucket loads, energy spent on purging out the pain and time given for healing the wounds. Then we would either come to terms with the tragedy or try to forget its occurrence by denying it.

Tim mario
Re: When Tears Run Dry: by tymoti(m): 4:14pm On May 13, 2009
my tears just ran dry then turned to blood. just lost one of my consulting jobs. now my income has been cut into two.

I am wondering who to direct my anger to right now

(1) (Reply)

Revisiting The British Airways Issue / Oni's Tenure: 2 Or 4 Years / Ijaw Mend Territory Expansion To Yorubaland. Yoruba Support Territory Expansion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.