Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,202 members, 7,953,742 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:34 AM

White Screen Error Solved & Getting Whoops! Back In Laravel 5 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / White Screen Error Solved & Getting Whoops! Back In Laravel 5 (2200 Views)

Common Error In Laravel #1:solved File_put_contents Failed To Open Stream / Solution To Tokenmismatchexception Problem In Laravel 5.1 / Create A Nested Lists Of Categories In Laravel 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

White Screen Error Solved & Getting Whoops! Back In Laravel 5 by dplumptre(m): 1:28pm On Nov 05, 2015
Hi peeps,

Have you ever worked on an application on laravel 5, but when you get an error

what you see is a white screen ,

what you need do a chmod 777 -R on the storage folder in your laravel application,

then you get the normal error , but for me I actually prefer to use the whoops error

this was in laravel 4 because its very detailed but it has been yanked off in laravel 5

A quick way to do this is first editing your composer.json file and adding

"filp/whoops": "~1.0", under the require so it looks somthing like this below

"require": {
"laravel/framework": "5.0.*",
"illuminate/html": "~5.0",
"filp/whoops": "~1.0",
"intervention/image": "^2.3"
},

you then go to laravel app from your terminal and do:

sudo composer update, after that you navigate to apps/Exceptions/handlers.php

add this method below to the Handler class:

protected function renderExceptionWithWhoops(Exception $e)
{
$whoops = new \Whoops\Run;
$whoops->pushHandler(new \Whoops\Handler\PrettyPageHandler());

return new \Illuminate\Http\Response(
$whoops->handleException($e),
$e->getStatusCode(),
$e->getHeaders()
);
}

then you look for a method "render " then add this in the method

if (config('app.debug'))
{
return $this->renderExceptionWithWhoops($e);
}

so it will look like this below

public function render($request, Exception $e)
{

if (config('app.debug'))
{
return $this->renderExceptionWithWhoops($e);
}

return parent::render($request, $e);
}

/**
* Render an exception using Whoops.
* @param \Exception $e
* @return \Illuminate\Http\Response
*/
protected function renderExceptionWithWhoops(Exception $e)
{
$whoops = new \Whoops\Run;
$whoops->pushHandler(new \Whoops\Handler\PrettyPageHandler());

return new \Illuminate\Http\Response(
$whoops->handleException($e),
$e->getStatusCode(),
$e->getHeaders()
);
}

then you are done

view more post on http://overallheuristic.com/blog/

site : http://overallheuristic.com
twitter : @dplumptre
fb :https://www.facebook.com/

Re: White Screen Error Solved & Getting Whoops! Back In Laravel 5 by danvery2k6(m): 6:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
I have been using Laravel 5 for some time now. I still get the `Whoops!` error message without going through much trouble. All I do is set an environment variable in my .env file called APP_DEBUG to true.

Like so:
APP_DEBUG=true

That does all the magic.

1 Like

Re: White Screen Error Solved & Getting Whoops! Back In Laravel 5 by dplumptre(m): 3:53pm On Nov 20, 2015
I havent had time to explain better,

If you look at the images I attached below you will see two different error pages ,

The colorful one is the Whoops error I was talking about , you can see it from the title , I actually prefer it that is why I go through those

steps before to make it display when using laravel 5.

On the other hand, the other one is the error page that appears when you install laravel 5 ,

you dont need any setting whatsoever , rather than to make the APP_DEBUG to true in your .env file

I dont really like it because its not as detailed and perhaps

less colourful but its your choice really to choose the one that works for you

(1) (Reply)

Java Programmers ,I Need Help Fixing This Code. / Between Flutter And Data Science, Which Do I Choose.. / Hesgoal Football Streaming Links

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.