Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? (993 Views)

Understanding Your Rights And Obligations As A Tenant / Court Orders Tenant To Pay N900,000 Rent Arrears / Sack Your Landlord Now And Be A Certified Home Owner , Don't Be A Tenant Forever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by sangfroidJJ: 7:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
Dear Nairalanders, this is my first major post and I would say I have learnt so much from this forum as a very passive observer. Over the years, I have noticed the exemplary wealth of experience and advice people have proffered to solving various challenges in life and here I have my major challenge which goes as follows;

My dad passed away within the last five years and we have a property which we put out for rent while he was still alive. The tenant prior to my dad's death had stayed in our property for about 7 years and you can say considering the year we are in, he has been in our property for over a decade.

The main issue is that we gave this our tenant 7 months notice to quit our property since we want to refurbish the place and increase the rent. The rent he has been paying is currently less than 40% of the asking price today and we can't increase the rent astronomically on his head that's why we gave him ample time to quit.

Well, the notice we gave was duly signed and delivered by hand through our lawyer. On occasion of the expiration of the notice, the tenant and his family did not even move or blink an eye angry. They stayed in the property as if nothing had transpired 7 months earlier. So I asked my family to take him to court but my mum and other elders prevailed on me not to do so but discuss with the tenant amicably out of court while writing an MOU duly signed by all present. With this done, we gave them 3 months additional notice. Well 3 months came like a breeze once again and the tenant still dd not move. He even had the nerve to take us to an Arbitration court angry. We all went to this arbitration court and the court gave an order that they should be given additional 3 months and they should pay rent on the current rent-age (which I said earlier is less than 40% of the asking price today) after which they should quit. This extra 3 months has elapsed again and we are even in the 5th month after the verdict was made. The tenant and his family are not just moving! We are currently considering taking them to court now but this has been so annoying. I can say now it has taken almost 2 years since we served them the first notice to quit. What can we do without breaking the law? The property is in Lagos state, on the mainland! I would be grateful on all meaningful suggestions. Moderators if this can be moved to front page, I would be grateful too

Thank you

cc: lalasticlacla
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by ricsman(m): 7:35pm On Nov 05, 2015
oh after reading. go to the police

if e no work call me make I trowey their load.

don't know what to say sha.

but them get mind o. Abi they no get money to pay or look for another apartment.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by sangfroidJJ: 7:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
The rent has expired more than three times! In fact they are not paying rent now. We don't want their money!
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 05, 2015
Just cut their light or water. angry or u call plumber to cut a pipe so that all the bathing water and shiiit water that the people living up pass will be pouring down on these annoying tenants angry

no be person go tell them to pack out
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by Jackeeh(m): 7:53pm On Nov 05, 2015
1. Give him some time. Say, 3weeks.
2. At the end of said time, visit the property again.
3. Not alone,but with someone else who will pose as a "buyer"(an older stern looking man).
4. Pretend to show ur "accomplice" around the property. (Make sure your tenant is home and can see you both).
5. After few days,visit the property again with a different "buyer". Make sure your tenant sees and hears u both.
6. Relax and allow few days elapse. Then Serve him a notice that the house has been sold and the new owners are to take possession in 3 weeks to 3 months time. If he still doesn't leave, stand stark naked at the market Square in the middle of the night and swear for him. He's a native doctor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
Report him to OPC. Since he has proven to be uncivilized, I'm sure he dare not default any agreement that involves the Opc. Also be willing to spend to reclaim your property. If all these fails, then he needs some special group of people paying him a "special" visit.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by tellwisdom: 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
Which yeye house you wan renovate. The owner of the house no pursue them when he was alive, na omo landlord wey inherit wetin another person build wan dey show muscle. Guy, free those people sad.....Yu must be a lazy yoruba boi
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by herald9: 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
Bomb the house angry
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
Arrange area boys for him na
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by joshuamoses101(m): 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
EroticAngelina:
Just cut their light or water. angry or u call plumber to cut a pipe so that all the bathing water and shiiit water that the people living up pass will be pouring down on these annoying tenants angry

no be person go tell them to pack out
yea that definitely wont work cause they are either going to fix it or leave with it
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by chymystique(f): 8:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
Something unusual is giving that tenant morale.. Are you sure he aint diabolic? I think its time you invite the police into this matter... They will vacate within days
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by jossy26: 8:39pm On Nov 05, 2015
@op, do the needful asap, you already have a lawyer, take him to court let the law throw him out not forcefully by yourself, our laws actually favour tenant am sure your lawyer would advise you appropriately.

Some people are mean sha

1 Like

Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 05, 2015
joshuamoses101:
yea that definitely wont work cause they are either going to fix it or leave with it

it will. when one gets used to living with light, and all of a sudden the light is cut off without a way of fixing it except meeting the landlord to fix... its so hard, nearly impossible to live.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by Moz22: 10:04pm On Nov 05, 2015
Give am rat poison chop
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by yomi007k(m): 10:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
LAW COURT is the solution.

The mistake ur family made is accepting his plea with those elders.

I know many tenats dat have n still act like dis. I have one presently.

They do this thing deliberately. They have the money but dey know dat even the law court will take time.

Ignore any other crap.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by joshuamoses101(m): 11:57am On Nov 06, 2015
EroticAngelina:

it will. when one gets used to living with light, and all of a sudden the light is cut off without a way of fixing it except meeting the landlord to fix... its so hard, nearly impossible to live.
why do you think he/she won't fix it themselves without involving the house owner
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of An Annoying Tenant? by dododawa1: 12:20pm On Nov 06, 2015
Early morning try and put (EBO) at their door every day

(1) (Reply)

Kayconcept Painting And Interiors / colour hardener, release agent, sealant / polish e.t.c in lagos, Nigeria / Farm For Sale At Ifo Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.