Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,834 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

What's Wrong With This Artwork? - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / What's Wrong With This Artwork? (1543 Views)

See This Artwork Done By 10-Year-Old Kareem Waris / Check Out This Artwork Of Mine. / And This Artwork Is Silently Saying Many Things (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Howmon: 10:53am On Nov 06, 2015
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3021640_fbimg1446307149533_jpegee498d4c5dc6fdeb06ae45fdcdb7e907

As an African Art Collector, I came across this artwork by Njideka Akunyili this morning on a thread and I feel something is off in the depiction of the blacks in this art. I'm not trying to sound racial but i'm of the opinion that the work itself is too racial to be ignored.
Share your opinion.
Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by zeetyzin(m): 11:11am On Nov 06, 2015
Probably the artist is just trying to portray d way we blacks literary worship whites..

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by sirjomore(m): 7:46pm On Nov 06, 2015
zeetyzin:
Probably the artist is just trying to portray d way we blacks literary worship whites..
yea my thought exactly
Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Funjosh(m): 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2015
Guess she is having a traditional marriage, a white man marrying a black lady. While the lady is serving her intending husband IMO. lipsrsealed
Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Qualer: 8:18am On Nov 08, 2015
Howmon:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3021640_fbimg1446307149533_jpegee498d4c5dc6fdeb06ae45fdcdb7e907

As an African Art Collector, I came across this artwork by Njideka Akunyili this morning on a thread and I feel something is off in the depiction of the blacks in this art. I'm not trying to sound racial but i'm of the opinion that the work itself is too racial to be ignored.
Share your opinion.

you can't just read meaning and assume conclusively regarding an artpiece without knowing the title and the reason behind it from the artist! be guided.
Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Howmon: 9:17am On Nov 08, 2015
Qualer:

you can't just read meaning and assume conclusively regarding an artpiece without knowing the title and the reason behind it from the artist! be guided.

What's an artpiece without a perception? It ordinarily should speak to you. If I may ask you, what does that art piece say to you?

Like I earlier said, it's my perception. What is yours?
Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Qualer: 9:22am On Nov 08, 2015
Howmon:

What's an artpiece without a perception? It ordinarily should speak to you. If I may ask you, what does that art piece say to you?

Like I earlier said, it's my perception. What is yours?

like i said earlier, your perception is null and void if you do not now the title of the work. Your perception, or whatever, should derive from the title which is the basis of the piece in the first place.
Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Howmon: 12:44pm On Nov 08, 2015
Qualer:

like i said earlier, your perception is null and void if you do not now the title of the work. Your perception, or whatever, should derive from the title which is the basis of the piece in the first place.

Thank you. What's the title of the work if I may ask you?
Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Qualer: 2:01pm On Nov 08, 2015
Howmon:

Thank you. What's the title of the work if I may ask you?

“Wedding Portrait” by Njideka Akunyili. 2012. Acrylic. pastel. color pencils, marble dust, fabric and Xerox transfers on paper. 4.5ft. x 5.25ft.

i hope this answers your question. and for the record, she is married to a white guy and all her art works(98%) is a narration of her life/relationship with her husband. that is why you usually see one white skin surrounded by blacks in her works.

the following:
“Efulefu: The Lost One.” by Njideka Akunyili. 2011.
“Her Widening Gyre” by Njideka Akunyili. 2011
“Nwantinti” (love) by Njideka Akunyili. 2012.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Howmon: 2:03pm On Nov 08, 2015
Qualer:

“Wedding Portrait” by Njideka Akunyili. 2012. Acrylic. pastel. color pencils, marble dust, fabric and Xerox transfers on paper. 4.5ft. x 5.25ft.

i hope this answers your question. and for the record, she is married to a white guy and all her art works(98%) is a narration of her life/relationship with her husband. that is why you usually see one white skin surrounded by blacks in her works.

Thanks!!!
Re: What's Wrong With This Artwork? by Funjosh(m): 3:05pm On Nov 08, 2015
Qualer:

the following:
“Efulefu: The Lost One.” by Njideka Akunyili. 2011.
“Her Widening Gyre” by Njideka Akunyili. 2011
“Nwantinti” (love) by Njideka Akunyili. 2012.

This my thought exactly smiley

(1) (Reply)

Join Cash Community Now!!! / My Artworks. / Aftereffect, Adobe Flash And C4D Tutorials Download Links! (DONT DULL!!) ;D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.