Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language (77199 Views)

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by absoluteSuccess: 4:24pm On Nov 08, 2015
Drabeey:
HEY OP. OSUSU IS NOT A YORUBA LANGUAGE
Esusu is the same as ajo, daily contribution.

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 4:25pm On Nov 08, 2015
Yoruba people, una fall my hand.

How can you sit there and let one Igbo non grata mod rewrite your history.

He even said "omo" and "Oba" arent Yoruba words.

Seun see ya life. Is this really your agenda?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by enigmatique(m): 4:26pm On Nov 08, 2015
Goodboiy:
3. Orgor' : Orgor' is an Igbo word for 'Inlaw'. It means the same thing in Urhobo.. for example I might say "Oniovo Orgor we' nkor " meaning 'brother how is Your Inlaw ".

In fact, the latter part of that Urhobo sentence sounds a lot like Yoruba. That is, if orgor = in-law = ana (in Yoruba), then check this out:
ana re nko? smiley smiley

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by absoluteSuccess: 4:28pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:
Yoruba people, una fall my hand.

How can you sit there and let one Igbo non grata mod rewrite your history.

He even said "omo" and "Oba" arent Yoruba words.

Seun see ya life. Is this really your agenda?

He is playing to the galery, his agenda is to ensure that nothing would become of Yoruba tradition on a page igbo is mentioned.

It is a sign of not capable of standing others greatness without finding recless way to bring them down.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 4:29pm On Nov 08, 2015
TeamSimple:

You should understand the guy is stylishly claiming Urhobo for biafra. He is pained they have serious connections with the yorubas

It'd really surprise me if Urhobo and Itsekiris don't stay with an Odu'a republic.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 4:30pm On Nov 08, 2015
Goodboiy:

Regarding The Bolded.. don't think so.. Am Urhobo.. We trace our Ancestry to Bini ..

Thanks for your contribution.. CC: Rose2014 were re thou

Please keep telling them, before they claim you guys.....Ridiculous!!!
P.S
===
Not trying to derail the thread but i can't stand it when these people try to lay claims to and define other people's ancestry or origin!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bokohalal(m): 4:33pm On Nov 08, 2015
Majority population doesn't determine etymology of words.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 08, 2015
Urhobo branched out of Yoruba.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 4:38pm On Nov 08, 2015
Radoillo:

I was also a little perplexed by the emboldened. I know the Igbo (especially the southern Igbo) have a savings system called Isusu, which they say they've had since the precolonial days.

But I've also seen claims that the Yoruba have a similar system which they call Esu or Esusu.

@OP: Do the Urhobo use 'ugo' for 'eagle' or is it just the Orogun that do?

Yoruba

Month - Osu

Monthly- Ososu

10 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 4:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
Urhobo 's Osusu is close to Yoruba 's Ososu...... Both means monthly.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by wizsolzy(m): 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2015
All u need to say is dat some urhobo words or isoko words used by ibo nd yoruba people...
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Classicool(m): 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Bini is totally different from Yoruba in all respects and only shares a few similar words just as Igbo and Yoruba languages share similar words and meanings but are totally different languages from each other. A Yoruba speaker will not understand a Bini speaker and vice versa.
Yoruba and Benin are not that too different because most their words are inter-connected... I remember a family friend of mine they speak yoruba to the fullest and I can't even understand Edo... And Bini/Edo understand yoruba language because both Edo and Yoruba are both trade partners in the ancient days...
And Yoruba and Edo have cultural ties... There's something Called "Awon Oba Alade Merindinlogun" which means the 16 crown kings.. That include Oba Bini,Olu of Warri.. And Others in Yorubaland... That why you can never see Yoruba,Edo,Itsekiri fighting or arguing.. Because they are so connected that I can't even explain there mutuality

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by slimfresh(m): 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2015
[q
uote author=fratermathy post=39759682]Lovely thread! Make I ..go ready my ekpeti first.

Ekpeti don set.

Although I wont restrict mine to Igbo/Yoruba

a.isikuru English: school
b.igalasi English: glass
c.akiteti English: architect
d.itaba Portuguese: tabaco (Tobacco)
e.Osete Portuguese: serta (Plate)
f.utujoro Portuguese: tesoura (Scissors)
g.uririen Portuguese: unie (an ingredient for pepper soup)
h.oleso Portuguese leso (handkerchief)
i.inama Hausa: nama (cow meat)
j.ibo English: ball
k.itomatosi Portuguese: tomato
l.ikpekere Yoruba: kpekere (plantain chips)
m.ejime Igbo: ejime (twin)
n.osusu Yoruba: osusu (monthly savings)
o. ikeki English: cake
p.imidaka Portuguese: mandioca (Cassava)
q.ugu Igbo: ugu (vegetable)
r.akpere Yoruba: akpere (basket)
s. imanu Hausa: malu (cow)
t. ifiniya Portuguese: farinha (tapioca)
u.isabatu Portuguese: sapato (sandals)
v.igho Portuguese: igos/iguou (money)
w.agbero Yoruba: agbero (tout)
x.akara Yoruba: akara (beans cake)
y.iyasere Edo: iyasere (prime minister)
z.isuya Hausa: suyah (roasted beef)
cheesy Alphabet don finish o Goodboiy. Freemanan permission to carry on?
i. akpu Igbo: akpu (Fufu)
ii.ibanki English: bank
iii.ikomputa English: computer
iv.ibroda English: brother
v.oro Portuguese: ouro (gold)

That's all I have for now.
This post is subject to further edits if more ideas come cheesy. Lalasticlala, Seun, Dominique, Obinoscopy and Oam4j, please take note and beware of my sons, Goodboiy, Freemanan, Alkarulezz, Freeemanan, Scholes0 and Onuwaje, emo zighizighi![/quote]

yorubas dont pronounce like that joor.....which o e be 'igalsi' 'ibanki'? Infact all you wrote about youruba words were wrongly spelt and going by d spelling wrongly pronounced.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by smartec: 4:42pm On Nov 08, 2015
It' just your hate for the igbos that why you are trying to deny that some uhrobo are Igbos. Go check your history very well. Or do some research

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by babyfaceafrica: 4:45pm On Nov 08, 2015
Goodboiy:
Hi peeps.. I haven't create any new thread recently due to some reasons best known To me, Although I still Remain your loyal boy "Goodboiyy" . Below are some Igbo and Yoruba word used in Urhobo language.

1. Biko : Biko is an Igbo word for "Please" And it means same in Urhobo, in Urhobo you usually hear word like "Oghene' biko keme' Igho" Meaning "God please Give me money".

2. Olori : Olori is a Yoruba Word for Head .. in Urhobo it means the same thing..

3. Orgor' : Orgor' is an Igbo word for 'Inlaw'. It means the same thing in Urhobo.. for example I might say "Oniovo Orgor we' nkor " meaning 'brother how is Your Inlaw ".

4. Omo' : Omo'r is a Yoruba word for Child, It has same meaning in Urhobo.. I can make statement like " e' Freemanan Omo'r meh' … meaning "Freemanan is my Son" grin

5. Obara' : Obara is an Igbo word for blood.. It means Same In Urhobo.. Why The Igbo woman will shout "Obara Jesus" and Urhobo Woman will say "Oba'rah' Re' Jesu"

6. Jesu' : Jesu' is an Yoruba word for Jesus . its still the same in Urhobo

7. Ew'a : Ew'a is another Yoruba word for Beans and its thesame with Urhobo. Ew'a is pronounced in Urhobo exactly thesame with That of Yoruba

8. OBA : OBA is a Yoruba word for king , We still use it in Urhobo.. If we Want to Call God.. we say Oba' risi' meaning " King Of The Word"

9. Akpere : Is a Yoruba word for basket, it means the same Thing in Urhobo

10. Ego : Its an Igbo word for Money.. in Urhobo we say Igho .. I believe the word belongs to Igboid.

11. ejime : Its an Igbo word for Twins, Its spelt and Pronounced The same in Urhobo

12. Osusu : Is a Yoruba Word for Monthly savings. Its the same in Urhobo

Pls don't derail the thread. THANKS
you have a good intention ..but you should have envsage tht your topic will be derailed..if I were you I won't reply..I will just mke input and leave....some people just like to tribalise everything..its annoying...hapi sunday

4 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Ofklaw: 4:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
I am an Urhobo boy, i speak urhobo fluently. . Beans in Urhobo is ISHA, i have never called beans EWA..

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by airsaylongcon: 4:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
fratermathy:

Goodboiy is right. Apart from Okpara which is the name of a village, the other terms are appellations whose meanings are lost to history. They are probably borrowed names. There is nothing peculiarly Urhoboic about them.

What do you call the oldest man in a village in Urhobo? It's called Okpara which is the same with the Igbos. This is what DikeOha882 is looking to hear

5 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by rexbuton: 4:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
I dun first talk am say igbos fit claim the ancient cities of babylon and samaria

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by airsaylongcon: 4:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
Ofklaw:
I am an Urhobo boy, i speak urhobo fluently. . Beans in Urhobo is ISHA, i have never called beans EWA..

Osho muvwe o oniovo! I cun tink say maybe na some dialect dey call am ewa. Na isha eg ogwoevwrisha na I know say onimerode dey call am
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by OBAGADAFFI: 4:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
smartec:
It' just your hate for the igbos that why you are trying to deny that some uhrobo are Igbos. Go check your history very well. Or do some research

Abba,

So everybody in ND must be linked to Igbos by force.

You will be shocked at to notice that most SS tribes have one or more connection with the Yorubas.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 4:57pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

@OP...Jesu, Omo and Oba are not Yoruba words. Jesu is derived from Jesus and cannot be considered Yoruba in anyway. Jesu is only a localized adaptation of the Jesus name in Christianity amongst Igbos and Yorubas. Jesus Christ is Jesu Kristi in Igbo as well.

Omo is common to Edo languages, Urhobo, Isoko, and Yoruba and cannot be said to be derived from Yoruba specifically.

As for Oba, I think you are looking for the origin far beyond where you should. Oba is a Bini/Edo word and NOT a Yoruba word. Ancient Yoruba kings were never addressed as Oba but were known by their various territorial titles such as alaafin of xyz, ajuwale of abc. We begin to see the appearance of Oba in Yoruba land after the Binis conquered Lagos and installed an Oba of Lagos (mind you this Oba was a Bini Oba, not a Yoruba Oba, ruling over Lagos) after which the usage of 'Oba' began to spread over Yoruba land.

You also forgot to include that 'igho' is similar to 'ego' in Igbo for money. tongue

I hope someone has corrected the misstatements here regarding the use of the word OBA

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by melzabull(f): 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
IlekeHD:

It'd really surprise me if Urhobo and Itsekiris don't stay with an Odu'a republic.
lmao...this idiottt doesn't want to be heartbroken, she is already begging for coalition to form odumb republic. grin

4 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Cadamlk: 4:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are clearly ignorant of Edo-Yoruba history. Just because Yorubas popularly use 'oba' does not mean it is of Yoruba origin. 'oba' is a bini word and not a Yoruba word. I know this sounds surprising to you to learn this but the word originates from the binis, not Yorubas. True bini people know this. I'm going to invite NigerMan, a proud Eshan man, to school you on this.

I don't know what you mean by 'olu' being a Yoruba word. You have to give the meaning of that word you're referencing. 'olu' as a word exists in several african languages and means different things. In Igbo, 'olu' could mean 'neck', 'voice' or 'riverine people living close to the river/sea'.

Do not think you know it all. You have to keep an open mind to learning things that you don't know or correcting impressions that you thought were probably right before.
The op is right.Oba is a pure yoruba word.When a yoruba king says "mo je oba",mean I eat the king.This word is used because for a new king to ascend the throne in yoruba,it is customary that he must eat the heart of the late king as part of the initiation rite.

So in conclusion,oba is a yoruba word

15 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by GoodMuyis(m): 5:00pm On Nov 08, 2015
Goodboiy:

Oniovo uma' mu ro'r kay' ..

meaning pls
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by IlekeHD: 5:00pm On Nov 08, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

I hope someone has corrected the misstatements here regarding the use of the word OBA

It surprised see me how Igbos who don't understand the complexity of Yoruba culture can make such callous statements - as a mod.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Abagworo(m): 5:01pm On Nov 08, 2015
Those words might not even be of Igbo or Yoruba origin but shared with them from the early times. We all once spoke a single language which deviated over time.

4 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by wtfCode: 5:02pm On Nov 08, 2015
Freemanan:
Negative!!!!
make research u dumb!
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Ofklaw: 5:03pm On Nov 08, 2015
[quote author=Goodboiy post=39757514]Hi peeps.. I haven't create any new thread recently due to some reasons best known To me, Although I still Remain your loyal boy "Goodboiyy" . Below are some Igbo and Yoruba word used in Urhobo language.

1. Biko : Biko is an Igbo word for "Please" And it means same in Urhobo, in Urhobo you usually hear word like "Oghene' biko keme' Igho" Meaning "God please Give me money".

2. Olori : Olori is a Yoruba Word for Head .. in Urhobo it means the same thing..

4. Omo' : Omo'r is a Yoruba word for Child, It has same meaning in Urhobo.. I can make statement like " e' Freemanan Omo'r meh' … meaning "Freemanan is my Son" grin

5. Obara' : Obara is an Igbo word for blood.. It means Same In Urhobo.. Why The Igbo woman will shout "Obara Jesus" and Urhobo Woman will say "Oba'rah' Re' Jesu"

6. Jesu' : Jesu' is an Yoruba word for Jesus . its still the same in Urhobo

7. Ew'a : Ew'a is another Yoruba word for Beans and its thesame with Urhobo. Ew'a is pronounced in Urhobo exactly thesame with That of Yoruba

8. OBA : OBA is a Yoruba word for king , We still use it in Urhobo.. If we Want to Call God.. we say Oba' risi' meaning " King Of The Word"

9. Akpere : Is a Yoruba word for basket, it means the same Thing in Urhobo

10. Ego : Its an Igbo word for Money.. in Urhobo we say Igho .. I believe the word belongs to Igboid.

11. ejime : Its an Igbo word for Twins, Its spelt and Pronounced The same in Urhobo

12. Osusu : Is a Yoruba Word for Monthly savings. Its the same in Urhobo

Pls don't derail the thread. THANKS [/quote

Beans in Urhobo is ISHA not EWA, ask any true urhobo, man.. dig deep Urhobo has words which the new generation are not even aware of...
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 08, 2015
scholes0:

What Binis originally called their titled kings was Ogiso, not Oba.
It was Oranmiyan that changed the title from Ogiso to the Yoruba words, Oba, & Omo n'Oba n'Edo, Crowned King of the Edos.
All kings in Yorubaland are known as Oba.

Also, Olu might exist in several African languages, but the Olu of Yoruba means "Lord", the only other Languages with similar connnotations of the word are Itsekiri (Olu), and Igala (Onu)

cc: Goodboiy

Spot on. One even suggested that Yoruba started using Oba after the Oba of Lagos!
People don't read anymore, so much ignorance.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by NewNigeriaMind: 5:04pm On Nov 08, 2015
9jacrip:

Olodo ni bobo yi o

And I heard this guy is a mod, really?

grin cheesy

Bros you make sense, make I add:

Ancient Benin/Edo used Oghiso, not Oba.

Prior to Oduduwa, Ife (Yoruba) had several hamlets all headed by Kings. The lineage of these kings are still in existance and these kings still play the role of controlling their hamlets with Ooni being the overall head thereby reducing them to what seems like 'Chief-King' status.

Some of these kings before Oranmiyan was born or even went to set up Oba Benin in Benin Empire were: Obalufe, Obawinrin, Obalaaye, Obatala, Obadio, Obaloran, Obajio, Obalurin, Obanurin, Obalale, Obalesun, Obalejugbe, Obalepon the list is long, I'll stop here.

From the above, tell me how 'Oba' which means 'the person overseeing, sitting, lording over everything' is a Benin word again. And how Yoruba supposedly borrowed it from Benin and used it for many centuries before Oranmiyan went to give Benin 'Oba of Benin' dynasty.

That Big fornothing Francis no sabi anything at all.

Thanks for clarifying it for the guy, I was shocked when I read his initial post. Na wa........

Even the bini man will not cliam Oba is a Bini word

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by sanmibukunmi: 5:05pm On Nov 08, 2015
very interesting and educating thread.....but I was surprised when someone said Oba is not a Yoruba word. like seriously? and that Edo gave the word when they conquered Lagos......where do they get the books they read from

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Agbaletu: 5:05pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are clearly ignorant of Edo-Yoruba history. Just because Yorubas popularly use 'oba' does not mean it is of Yoruba origin. 'oba' is a bini word and not a Yoruba word. I know this sounds surprising to you to learn this but the word originates from the binis, not Yorubas. True bini people know this. I'm going to invite NigerMan, a proud Eshan man, to school you on this.

I don't know what you mean by 'olu' being a Yoruba word. You have to give the meaning of that word you're referencing. 'olu' as a word exists in several african languages and means different things. In Igbo, 'olu' could mean 'neck', 'voice' or 'riverine people living close to the river/sea'.

Do not think you know it all. You have to keep an open mind to learning things that you don't know or correcting impressions that you thought were probably right before.

A bad attempt to re-write history. If truly you are a MOD, i think you should resign for misleading the non-Yorubas and non-Edos.

16 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Rams Sacrificed Ahead Of Third Mainland Bridge Repair (Photos) / Adebutu Kessington In ₦300m Rolls-Royce Phantom / Celebrating Egbe Omo Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.