Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making (14081 Views)

Fashion Blunders To Avoid As A Lady / 25 Suit Rules All Men Need To Know / 20 Worst Fashion Blunders A Girl Can Make … (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 07, 2015
There is always so much focus on women's fashion, but the gender that really needs the style help is men. Some men know how to dress, but there are a number of trends in male "fashion" that are just not cutting it. Here are few of highlighted fashion blunder by men I see around:

1. Clothes that don’t fit – Overly baggy clothes will make you look you’re wearing sloppy hand-me-downs. If your body type makes it hard to find well-fitting clothes off the rack, make your tailor your best friend.

2. Wearing a short sleeve shirt with a tie – Unless you work for a fast-food joint – where sleeves get dirty making sandwiches – avoid wearing a short sleeve shirt with a tie. They are generally perceived as lower class apparel. If you want to stay looking professional and confident, stick to long-sleeve shirts when wearing ties.

3. Dirty shoes – It’s an area that too many guys overlook in terms of cleaning and proper care. A stylish man keeps his shoes clean – free of scratches and dirt.

4. Improper trousers length – Don’t fold up your jeans or your chinos unless it’s an intentional fashion statement that you’re making. Your trousers can come down to the bottom of your shoes but make sure they come just above the floor to avoid any unwanted fraying. Also, you only need a slight break, or crease, in the trousers leg. Don’t be the guy who has his feet swimming in a bunch of extra fabric. All it takes is a simple trip to the tailor to get them hemmed.

5. Wrong socks with a suit – When you’re wearing a suit, match your sock color to your trousers, not your shoes (for professional and formal occasions). This is the same as mismatching your suit trousers to your jacket. If you’re wearing a navy suit with black shoes, reach for navy socks. And when wearing a light suit, make sure the socks are darker than the suit but a shade or so lighter than the shoes. This rule of course can be broken if done deliberately for your style’s sake.

6. MISMATCHED BELT AND SHOES – If you’re wearing corporate shoes, make sure the color of your belt matches the color of your corporate shoes (for professional occasions). Also, the finish of the belt and shoes need to match. In other words, if your shoes are shiny, your belt should be shiny as well. If you’re wearing casual shoes or sneakers, make sure you wear a thicker casual belt to match instead of a thin corporate belt.

7. Improper tie length – A man’s tie should always end at the center of his belt buckle. A simple touch overlooked by many. Having a tie that’s too short or too long, can make a man look incompetent.

[img]http://doanhnhanduongthoi.vn/uploads/images/news/1408072620_news.jpg[/img]

8. Being too “buttoned” up – If a jacket has two buttons, only fasten the top button. If it has three buttons, you can close the top button only, the middle button only, or both the middle and top button. The key is to always leave the bottom button undone. This is a tradition that has been used for decades, and will keep your style looking smart.

9. Socks and sandals – Have you seen anyone ever pull this off, and look sexy? Case closed.

10. CARTOON CLOTHING AND JOKE T-SHIRTS -These shirts are usually not that funny, and all they really tell people is that the wearer is immature. Cartoon characters can be cute, but usually not on a guy who's past puberty. Invest in classic pieces that will be stylish for years.

Cc Lalasticlala seun

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by airsaylongcon: 3:55pm On Nov 07, 2015
grin
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by timothyuche1(m): 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2015
Most niggas are guilty of no4 while gentlemen guilty of no2.
No1 thou
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Slimzjoe(m): 3:58pm On Nov 07, 2015
I'm never Wearing Short Sleeves with a Tie again angry
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by CaroLyner(f): 4:00pm On Nov 07, 2015
i should tag all them dirty boys.
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by downed: 4:00pm On Nov 07, 2015
Pls...stop wearin native on jeans...al ds lagos boys..its rili terrible

1 Like

Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 07, 2015
11. Wrinkled clothing – Unless you’re going for the “I sleep in these clothes” effect, keep all your clothes pressed and wrinkle-free. It’s a good habit to always hang up all your clothes – never throwing them on the floor of your room after use.

12. Wrong casual tie – If you’re wearing a tie as part of your casual outfit, go for a slimmer tie instead of the wider ones. Keep the wider ones for the office. You’ll look much more fashionable this way.

[img]http://cdn11.lbstatic.nu/files/looks/large/2014/11/26/4168890_looks.jpg?1417003092[/img]

13. Wearing a backpack with a suit – Whenever I’m walking around the city of Lagos, I see a lot of professional people wearing nice suits – but carrying backpacks! Okay, a backpack may be easier to carry over your shoulders than a briefcase in your hand, but you can also get a comfortable messenger bag that hangs across your chest to maintain a more professional look.

[img]http://theclassicgentleman.files./2011/05/suit-carrying-backpack.jpg[/img]

14. Excess cologne – If a woman can smell your cologne only when she’s close, great! She’ll have more reason to stay close. If a woman can smell you from across the room, does she need to come any closer? Depending on the strength of your cologne, use with caution. If your cologne loses it’s scent later in the day, simply reapply. A good rule of thumb is to limit it to two sprays – once on your neck and wrists.

15. Bulky pockets – I see a lot of guys walking around with bulging pockets. If it’s your wallet that’s creating that bulge, spend some time taking out all those old wallets, ID cards or business cards. If you need to hold on to them, keep them in a safe place and take them out when you need them. Get a slimmer wallet or a money clip to save space.

16.Hair in the back of their neck – Hair on the back of your neck needs to be managed well. If you don’t get haircuts too often, use a small mirror to check the back of your neck against another mirror, and use a razor to shave any hair that’s growing on the back of your neck. This will keep you looking sharp and well-groomed.

[img]http://www.monkstownlaserskinclinic.ie/images/ipl_neck-05.jpg[/img]

17.Not tucking in dress shirts – If your shirt is long enough to cover your butt, it’s meant to be tucked in, except for polo shirt. The shirt is made longer so that when you sit down, with your shirt under your butt, your shirt doesn’t annoyingly lift out of your pants. If you’re someone who hates tucking in at casual settings, than make sure the dress shirts you wear are tailored shorter to come just above the halfway point of your gluteus maximus.

18. An innershirt is just that – an innershirt – An undershirt’s purpose is to absorb the sweat, dirt, and body oils that we all inevitably secrete, and prevent stains on your dress shirts. The name explains their purpose. It’s not meant to be worn as an actual shirt by itself, so avoid this fashion mistake and call your guys out on it when you can.

19. Oversized branding – Avoid clothes that make you look like a walking advertisement board. The advertisers would love this, but why wear a huge logo or brand name on your shirt unless you’re getting paid to?

20. TENNIS SHOES AND PANT TROUSERS You wouldn't wear corporate shoes with athletic shorts. Purchasing a nice pair of shoes is essential. Wearing sneakers or tennis shoes on pant trousers is a big no-no and makes you look completely tacky.

http://www.kinowear.com/40-common-mens-fashion-mistakes-to-avoid

Cc: lalasticlala, Seun

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Sanmel(f): 4:07pm On Nov 07, 2015
9 & 10 though...
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Sanmel(f): 4:11pm On Nov 07, 2015
downed:
Lol.. Kinda cute for ladies smiley
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by angelTI(f): 4:19pm On Nov 07, 2015
grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by kadas01(m): 4:37pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nice info!

That number 11, na "NEPA" dey mostly cause am! undecided

1 Like

Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by viclawz(m): 4:38pm On Nov 07, 2015
Let me go and tell rasaki...dat niqqa is guilty almost all.
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Eboh4z: 4:54pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nigerians Should also know that we Dress according to Our Weather...Not putting on suit When it is sunny

1 Like

Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 5:09pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nice post. I am guilty of committing some.
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by xpac01(m): 5:12pm On Nov 07, 2015
Polo top and plain trousers. Dressing that way makes one look villagious. Polo is meant to match with chinos or Jean trousers and not plain trousers.

1 Like

Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Stycon(m): 5:56pm On Nov 07, 2015
Very true!
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by fF01(m): 6:10pm On Nov 07, 2015
i don't understand, wah'z wrong wih no.10??
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by LordOfTheWeed: 6:14pm On Nov 07, 2015
Stop forming undertaker if you don't know how to throw punch! Speaking from the fight i witnessed today, I'm sure the coward is still on trance right now grin
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 07, 2015
fF01:
i don't understand, wah'z wrong wih no.10??
Wearing shirts with cartoon characters or silly jokes is a big fashion goof. Any guy past teen age shouldn't be caught dead or alive in one. undecided

2 Likes

Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by LordOfTheWeed: 6:24pm On Nov 07, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Wearing shirts with cartoon characters or silly jokes is a big fashion goof. Any guy past teen age shouldn't be caught dead or alive in one. undecided
What of the ones with:

NOBODY GAT MORE SWAG THAN ME IN MY CITY.. .. ..

DON'T LOOK AT MY SHOES.. .. ..

MY MONEY GROWS LIKE GRASS.. .. ..

ALOBAM WITH STAR ALL OVER.. .. ..

And other nonsense clothes like that grin
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by MilesLamar(m): 7:08pm On Nov 07, 2015
Dt No4 na dope swag .. op u be fashion mopol?
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by olu4life(m): 7:12pm On Nov 07, 2015
OK, guilty of number 2. Gotta stop it then angry
Felt it was cool anyways

By the way, number 13 no follow jor. Haha,u don't know those back bags carries more stuff ni. How I go stuff my lappy inside suitcase na undecided
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 07, 2015
I disagree with the last twosad

1 Like

Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by olu4life(m): 7:18pm On Nov 07, 2015
downed:

Taaaa... That's swagg mehn. Depends on the way the person pulls it off. U never see English top with native trouser ni grin
No dull mehn. Hehehe
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 07, 2015
daretodiffer:

Which of the last two - 9 and 10 or 19 and 20? undecided
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by yorex2011: 7:27pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nice tips
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 07, 2015
On point
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by 12month: 7:56pm On Nov 07, 2015
Great tip. Am not guilty tongue this should make fp quick quick
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by Euphrosyne(m): 8:11pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nice one learnt some new things
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by pcwhiz(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2015
daretodiffer:
tell 'em, there's nothing wrong with wearing sneakers and suits.. I do it all the time and clasy girls dig it #word!!
Re: 20 Commonest Fashion Blunders Men Need To Stop Making by osesology(m): 9:13pm On Nov 07, 2015
Someone said something about not wearing natives on jeans, and I'm like REALLY! Nigga that's what I call swag mehn!

(1) (2) (Reply)

~ The Nigerian Music Video Awards ( NMVA ) ~ / The Beauty Of Aso-ebi Ladies / What Is the Best Concealer for hiding Stretch Marks And Scars?its Urgent Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.