Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,678 members, 7,959,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 09:53 AM

Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? (19632 Views)

I Lost My Job Because I Complained Of Poor Working Condition!! / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters / Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by lapson: 3:02pm On May 14, 2009
Thats sucks, but then count ur self lucky to have people like kogilomo.
endeavour to answer those questions. u should be be good to go
above its going to be a tough challenges
i can give u a headsup about the oil related jobs and career
Good luck
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by sweetpain: 4:10pm On May 14, 2009
@OP
This gentleman obviously has everything going for him without knowing it- great job with good pay, reasonable job security with pension, investment etc. And wait for it- he is 42 with kids.

Its unthinkable anyone would like to risk these for a chance to be a second class citizen in a cold distant land removed from the midst of childhood friends and family. Whatever advantage Canada offers you can reasonably procure.It will be foolhardy to throw all these away for a renewable residency. Utter nonsense.

They say its not in your old age that you begin to learn how to use your left hand.People who usually find themselves in this dilenma are those educated and comfortable enough to be beckoned on but who have not been exposed or experienced first-hand the gbrii gbrii life in these countries.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Obeledu: 4:31pm On May 14, 2009
Thanks Kogilomo,

To answer some of your questions, I started the migration process when the former company i was working with was about going under.

I studied Electrical/Electronics Engineering.

I had MCSE(2000) and CCNA, but they had all expired.

Presently I am more into Cable Structuring/telecom
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Iranoladun(f): 4:42pm On May 14, 2009
@Poster You've had the good, the bad & the ugly as far as advices are concern. The ultimate choice is yours knowing fully well that whatever choice you made will come with some sacrifices.

Migrating to Canada may be more beneficial to your kids than for you & your wife because of educational & age advantages.

You may still eat your cake & have it though (if you are smart about it wink)

You may choose to apply for your annual leave then during the period go & settle your family in Canada to fulfil the 'landing' requirements. Thereafter return to naija while you search for jobs in Canada and a gradual emigration process. Best of luck grin
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by wanville(m): 5:02pm On May 14, 2009
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by debosky(m): 5:20pm On May 14, 2009
Obeledu:

Thanks Kogilomo,

To answer some of your questions, I started the migration process when the former company i was working with was about going under.

I studied Electrical/Electronics Engineering.

I had MCSE(2000) and CCNA, but they had all expired.

Presently I am more into Cable Structuring/telecom

Start doing job searches to see if there are any positions requiring your skills.

Whichever decision you take is not going to be easy and will call for some level of deep thought and sacrifice.

The best way is to make it a gradual process - do not suddenly pull up your roots and move to Canada. Go and evaluate your options over there on leave and decide for yourself. I know people who have gotten everything they hoped for and even more in a few years while others struggle and regret their decisions. I wish you the best in making your decision.

sweetpain:

@OP
This gentleman obviously has everything going for him without knowing it- great job with good pay, reasonable job security with pension, investment etc. And wait for it- he is 42 with kids.

Its unthinkable anyone would like to risk these for a chance to be a second class citizen in a cold distant land removed from the midst of childhood friends and family. Whatever advantage Canada offers you can reasonably procure.It will be foolhardy to throw all these away for a renewable residency. Utter nonsense.

I disagree - it is renewable residency INITIALLY. If he spends three years there, he can apply for citizenship and decide to move back to Nigeria if he wants to. That is why he needs to consider ALL the possibilities before making a decision. Spending three years away from these 'friends and family' need not be regarded as throwing away your advantages in Nigeria, you just need to be very clear as to what your planned line of action is.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by lapson: 6:09pm On May 14, 2009
@poster
Am short of words, its a turning point but no matter what make sure u have some one who can die for you there, get that word right die. reason being that nobody has time for anybody,am not trying to scare you but its the reality.
No matter what u gonna start afresh be who u, but its going to be easier when u have someone who will be there for u while u trying to adjust to the system, as a professional u can get a job provided u can be on the road at all time which is not pretty good for someone who is new
All the best
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by AmAlone: 10:13pm On May 14, 2009
A Bird At Hand Is Worth More Than One Million Birds In The Forest. . . . .
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Funky68(f): 2:18am On May 15, 2009
Hi am in canada presently with my family. what i will tell u is that do not leave ur job, come and land with ur family and make sure u do not stay out of canada in a 6months period. it is really not easy but what i will advise is to leave ur family here because u get ur canadian citizenship if u r physically here 3yrs after u land. so fo the sake of the kids let them be here with ur wife and u can come once in 3months to check on ttem, the only thing is that they will definetly qualify for canadian citizenship faster than u.my husband read geology from nigeria and came here to study petroleum engineering but things are a bit slow cause of the recession issue but will definitely pick up. or u can arrange wtih ur company so that u will be an expatriate and u pay ur taxes here in canada.wish u good luck. canada is a beautiful place to live and for the kids education but the weather is something else in winter. if u need an other advise u can mail me funke1968@hotmail.com then my husband can advise u more. goodluck

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by seunmen200: 11:29am On May 15, 2009
If it's very much hopeful for you, u can go ahead. In case of any assistance on the processing to make it real, am up to it. Kindly mail me or call. It is well.

seunmen2009@yahoo.com
+2348033418019

Keep ur head up
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by sweetpain: 2:12pm On May 15, 2009
debosky:

I disagree - it is renewable residency INITIALLY. If he spends three years there, he can apply for citizenship and decide to move back to Nigeria if he wants to. That is why he needs to consider ALL the possibilities before making a decision. Spending three years away from these 'friends and family' need not be regarded as throwing away your advantages in Nigeria, you just need to be very clear as to what your planned line of action is.

The circumstances for attaining official residency is hardly relevant to discourse. The fact remains that you are automatically a second class citizen and this has nothing to do with self confidence or orientation. Therefore you have to pocket your ego. That is kill the man in you instantly and become a boy. You also have to work like a donkey-usually day and night for less than your white peers. Most importantly what about your pallies.

The only advantage I see for this gentleman with profile and status as described is the medical/health advantage in Canada.That country has the resources to prolong your life at little or no cost if you come down with some debilitating medical condition that could either kill or impoverish you like your kidney failing or sth. But many pple will prefer death to debilitation.

You have a logical and analytical mind. I doubt if you will have any problem making a decision when confronted with same set of variables at age 42 with kids. cheesy
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Obeledu: 2:45pm On May 15, 2009
Hello All,

I thanks all that contributed, I would have made a grave mistake if not for the advice I received on this forum. Also I

have gathered a lot of information different from those you read on internet.

I thank the owner of the site SEUN, only that sometimes I wonder how he will continue to sustain the site since

everything is free.

Like most people advised, the children will go while i stays in Niaja.

I love Niaja with its abundant problems, but it is a free country. Nigeria is a place where you enjoy your freedom

with small cash.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by shubbie: 3:08pm On May 15, 2009
Good decision but that leads to another issue. Are all the children over 18? Who will take care of them in canada? If its your wife then no problem because you cann't do Home Alone in canada or any oyinbo country. There are strict laws for child abuse. I would could have run back to naija if not for my kids.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by lapson: 6:26pm On May 15, 2009
@shubbi
Dont even start another drama saying that leads to another question or so, pls dont turn the forum to Nnkan mbe (strange but true) we dont have kolawole olawuyi in house
No offence @shubbi am kidding
@poster Goodluck
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Ejadamen(f): 3:33pm On May 16, 2009
@ poster, congrats. Almost asked you dash me your visa if you didn't want to use it grin but your decision is okay. Good luck wink
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by liliana(f): 7:27pm On May 16, 2009
@Poster,
Good decision,at least for the sake of your children.It will be hard though but i guess its the only way out.It would give your children the opportunity you never had as a child.I know it will be hard on your family being apart for a while.I have a family friend who is a bank manager and whose family won the american visa lottery.I know how hard it was for the young man to convince his wife of 2yrs to leave with his 1yr plus old daugther and 6months baby to the United states because he felt (and i think so too) that it would be stupid of him to leave his fast growing career back home in Nigeria to move over to the states because of American citizenship.

The most important thing is that with his wife and daughters there they would get permanent residency there and expand the options available to his Kids as they grow up.At least he can visit the states whenever he wants to;he is not crazy about attaining the citizenship,he is concerned about the future of his children!

Your reason for applying for the visa 5yrs ago may not be valid now because so much has happened within that period.In all,since you have a good paying job,u will be able to take care of your family while your wife looks for something to do.It may only be a very hard decision if your wife has a good job too.

In all,seek the face of God,talk with your wife and do whatever you feel is best for your family!
Congratulations!
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by aeliezer(m): 10:52pm On May 16, 2009
Hi, having gone through a similar experience in the past, this is a subject that I am very passionate about and that is the reason I am always quick to share my own success story.

As mentioned in my full response as contained in the document attached, it is important your plans are aligned to God's leading for your life.

I have found this article about immigrating to the Oil and Gas province of Alberta to be very helpful http://alis.alberta.ca/pdf/cshop/welcometoalberta.pdf . It is one article I would have loved to read when I was at the very stage you are in as it is a true reflection of what life may be for most new comers.

As we are both in the IT industry you can send me an email [email]aeliezer@eliezerconsulting.ca[/email] if you eventually choose to take that giant leap and you need assistance in terms of career and job situation.

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by latch(m): 9:14pm On May 17, 2009
Good to know you decided to stay back. However, you should be aware you can't stay out of Canada for up to 6months stretch within your two years (from my understanding).

Further, the website mentioned on the previous page is being run by an anti immigration racist body. Don't take them to serious. Like every other western country, coming from Africa, its easier to get jobs if you school in their country, or if you have previous work experience in a recognised multinational. Other than that, security guarding becomes an option.

Finally, beleive me, your better off with a god job in Nigeria than with a good job out here. I dont know how you live in Nigeria, but here, theres no one to send: your cleaning your toilets, washing your clothes, washing your car, going to market etc, whiel the govt collects half your income on taxes.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Dollarama: 8:37am On May 19, 2009
Hey broda,
I don't know whether to congratulate you or not on getting the permanent residency visa to Canada.  Yes, this may sound weird, especially when it comes from someone who moved here almost 8 years ago.  The normal Nigerian reaction is to say I'm selfish, like so many people have told me!  But I have my points and if I could do it again, I would act differently.  Here we go:

1.  Contrary to what most Nigerians believe, immigration is a retrogressive step.  Your life is starting below zero level.  Whatever you were in Nigeria ends at the Murtala Mohammed airport.

2.  Remember that some people were born here, their great great great grandfathers were born here.  They have been established over generations and they hold the advantage here.  The bad part is that they believe their god is bringing you here so that you could serve them.  They will always be unhappy to see you progress and as such will do everything to prevent it, except you agree to be their slaves. 

3.  The only advantage you have is that you are a Nigerian and you have the ability to survive and flourish anywhere, like a stubborn weed!  If this issue is just about you and you alone, there is no fear, you will be fine.

4.  Many people will tell you to come here for the sake of your children.  My advice is different; for the sake of your children, please don't come here!  While you are hustling to settle down, your children will be growing and will be taught by a society that believes everything that is completely opposite what you believe.  Before you know what is going on, you will realize you don't know your children anymore!  Most of the young men I have seen succeed here finished high school in Nigeria before moving to Canada.  Nigerian high schools may not have all the gadgets and funding schools have here but the hunger for excellence and the never-say-die attitude of the average Nigerian is usually learned by the time you are 16.

5.  It is not true that education is cheaper in Canada than Nigeria, may be high school. 

6. My sincere advice: Look for what business you can do in Nigeria (even the gas thing is okay if you listen to what I have to say after this line).  Then come to Canada with your family and land (don't fall into the trap of landing without your family).  Register a Canadian company that will carry out that your business in Nigeria (well, remember that a Canadian company will pay Canadian taxes; you've started serving your term!).  You can then send me a pm on what your next steps would be.  You will surely win on both sides. 

Note:  I am not a 419 or anything.  I am a Nigerian.  I have never contributed to this site.  I saw your question and thought a few words could be useful in your situation.   I wished someone said something to me 9 years ago!

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Ejadamen(f): 1:55pm On May 19, 2009
Dollarama:

Contrary to what most Nigerians believe, immigration is a retrogressive step.  Your life is starting below zero level.  Whatever you were in Nigeria ends at the Murtala Mohammed airport.
At the risk of sounding funny, why is this?
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by debosky(m): 6:12pm On May 19, 2009
@ Dollarman

Your experience may have been sad, but I disagree. My life (and those of many others I know) did not start at below zero level. Many, Many people I know have made it in Canada and are flourishing - even expanding into other countries with their Canadian based companies.

A bitter experience should not be the only basis, but serves as a useful counterbalance.

I'm sure you're trying to shock the man into rationally considering his options, but you have overdone it a bit. Life as an immigrant will have it's difficulties, but with determination and focus, I have seen many people surmount those difficulties and even CELEBRATED as espousing the true Canadian spirit. The choice is yours.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by aeliezer(m): 8:14pm On May 19, 2009
Debosky,

Thank you for your response. I was initially caught in between ignoring or responding to the negative and extreme comment that life starts at below zero level as a new comer.

As I mentioned in my initial response to the question of this thread( and again not to sound blunt or arrogant), living overseas is not for everybody. The most important thing is to be at the place God has destined for you, as that will be the place of your flourishing. As such, some will have a positive experience ( and there are SEVERAL as you have mentioned) and some negative. Again the choice is left to each individual for in matters like this, the best counsel one can have is that given by God and that means really getting alone with Him to lead one aright.

To share a bit of my experience; when I first arrived with my family 5 years ago, some of the Nigerian folks that have been here longer had all sorts to say; "Oh, the cold kills o! yeh there are no jobs except as security o!", just all sorts of negative stories. My usual response to them was that if God is on your side, then He will make a way for you and prosper you. So recently, when my wife and I out of just retelling those stories as a testimony of God's faithfulness in our lives, it occurred to us that some of this people that had all sorts to say back then have not even visited Nigeria for once and yet for example the cold can kill! Some of them during the Oil boom here in Alberta even moved up north to places like Fort McMurray which is much colder than it is in Calgary to secure lucrative jobs with Oil companies and all of a sudden, the cold no longer kills! One thing I have learnt is that if one is basing life's decision on what people have to say, then one is not yet ready to move to the next level.

Again if comments such as this was true for everybody, then probably an Obama story won't have been possible in our life time! Life whether as an immigrant or even back in your own country has its challenges and as Bishop Benson Idahosa always said, " If you are lizard in Lagos, then don't expect to be a crocodile in London".

The summary of all of this is that each individual's mindset has a greater part to play in what the outcome will be. Your attitude determines your altitiude!

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by dremoney(m): 12:42am On May 20, 2009
@ dollarama,

dat was rather scary, you dont base pple's fate on ur personal experience, ur spirits and destiny differ,

erm,

well, wat can i say? loads of advise, good, bad and ugly, all made sense tho, dnt fink you need any more advise than wot you already have on this thread.

Personal advise,

discover urself and follow what flows with your life plan, God has been good to me since i left Nigeria
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by okeyz(m): 8:51am On May 20, 2009
aeliezer:

The summary of all of this is that each individual's mindset has a greater part to play in what the outcome will be. Your attitude determines your altitiude!
thanks aeliezerr ,exactly my thoughts, u see people take this immigration thing to mean that the grass is always greener at the other side, it should be a thing of the mind if u have made up ur mind to be a success no matter what problems u encounter u will always succed with GOD on ur side afterall the canada itself was developed by people with the right set of mind set,its not as if every good thing enjoyed in that country today was gotten on a platter of Gold !!, people made some sacrifices to make sure Canada becomes what it is today, Life is what each of us makes of it,
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Dollarama: 11:54am On May 20, 2009
To everyone that responded to my contribution, no comments!  But note that I did not say I was not successful here.  I will probably be among the most successful immigrants in Canada (looking at date of arrival) if you consider who I am today and what I was or had in my pockets when I arrived.  But remember that many waters have passed under the bridge.  My hope was that things would be easier for the poster when he arrives, the reason for my unsolicited advice.

Meaning of starting below zero level:  when you leave a society where you were born and grew up, you leave your established position.  Ask a tree whether grafting is a smooth process!

Many Nigerians think Canada will roll out the red carpet for you on arrival.  Yes, that will actually happen on the day you get here.  After that, you're on your own!

I wish the poster the very best.  Welcome to Canada, and make sure you enjoy the land!

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Btzzk: 12:41am On May 21, 2009
I have a good advice for you, because I have been there. whether u should go or not depend on what u take as your priority in life; when I want to live Niger about some years back I look at as a better way to make life better for my family only, as at today we are all American citizen, we can afford to live anywhere in Niger, but did we loose anything yes . It will take u at least five years for you to know where you are going in Canada. Don’t ever think you will leave your wife behind. That is the worst thing u can do, because some of Niger we try anything. come back to my point that I first said, if you really want to make difference in your family life and you are ready to spend about five yea before u start see the result then you can do it, but if you are going with ordinary visa it will take u at least ten years to get yourself together, bcs all those education u have in Niger will not be useful, its like u have to start all offer again. As per me I think it’s too late for someone to go abroad and stay after 40yr, I may be wrong. But there is no price too much to pay to establish good life for your family. Hopefully this will help.
Have a nice day
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by ifele(m): 7:57pm On May 21, 2009
@ Obeledu

PLEASE DONT COME TO CANADA. ITS NOT WORTH IT. YU HAVE A CAREER IN NIGERIA YU ARE WELL PAID YU HAVE INVESTMENTS. YU HAVE YUR OWN HOME. IF YU COME HERE YU GONNA HAVE TO APPLY FOR A MORTGAGE TO BUY A HOME.
Thats debt number 1. debt number 2 automobile debt. THERE IS NOTHING COOL ABOUT CANADA IN FACT IT IS VERY COLD.
YOU CAN RELAX ON A SANDY BEACH IN SOUTHERN Nigeria for FREE. In canada you will need a vacation package for Puerto Plata. CANADA is for the absolutely hopeless but you have hope. Everything is more expensive AND THERE is no peace of mind.

Do yu want to be relegated to survival jobs by foreigners who believe that nasty jobs is what yu deserve becos yur black. There is no freedom in Canada. There is no protection for yur culture. IF YU KEEP YUR CULTURE THEY HAVE WAYS OF PUNISHING YU FOR IT. Please bros dont come here.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by sweetpain: 10:44am On May 24, 2009
Dollarama & Ifele,

You guys have done wonderfully. Those when e get ear make them hear. I belong to a tribe that doesnt have much respect for personal advise because we believe that if someone takes your advice its his decision or his will or his advice that has prevailed.It took me a while to understand this logic.

Anyway, like someone said immigration/relocation is not for everybody. Canada is no heaven. If you have sth good going for you in Nigeria do not throw it away so you do not regret it later.

The odds against you as a struggling Nigerian in Canada is waaaay too high.You wont go very far. Do your struggling here (unless if there is no hope whatsoever), make it big time and go and invest a lump sum (deciding amount varies from one western country to the other but maybe as high as 2 mil CAD) and walk away with their citizenship without any of those restrictions. That is my own kind of immigration.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by Hotstepper(f): 3:16am On May 28, 2009
all these ppl saying canada is bad, dont come, why r u ppl still dere sef?

the man said he will bring his family and stay in Naija and visits which is what peeps do now,
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by manny4life(m): 7:00pm On Jun 03, 2009
My advice, please stay in Nigeria where you living ok are most especially you have a great job. Although I don't live in Canada, while I stay in the U.S., their immigration policy are almost same thing. Its a struggle all over again which @ 42 with 3 kids, its really not worth it. Like I said I don't live in Canada, comparing their policy to U.S, for you to have that great job, you must obtain work authorization, then a resident permit. The cost and standard of living for a non-immigrant, can be very expensive. Should you decide, make some comparisons and then weight your options.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by AjanleKoko: 8:41am On Jun 08, 2009
Forget about it, at your age, and the family responsibilities you have. It won't be worth it.
If there is a way you can eat your cake and have it, by all means. But don't burn your bridges. Canada isn't as immigrant-friendly these days.
Re: Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? by duke2000: 12:20pm On Jul 02, 2009
Be very careful with the many promises from Canada!! Visit this site before making any decision.

http://www.notcanada.com/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Have Been Sacked But I Have N1.5m / Can An MBA Holder Go For A Phd In Management? / SARS Officers Are Not Supposed To Wear Plain Cloth While On Duty - PPRO, Dolapo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.