Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,862 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu (1771 Views)

Igbo Must Produce President In 2019 To Pacify Biafra Agitators – Ohanaeze Youths / Boko Haram Crossing Sambisa Forest From Komala Killed Today By Army / Made In Aba Bunk Bed... Given Every Opportunity, Every Igbo Man Is A Potential.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by Catabolic: 7:47pm On Nov 07, 2015
I have read most of the screaming literature churned out plentifully in
scathing criticism of what has come to be known as Buhari's lopsided appointments. I have always had a strong impulse to bare my mind. But being an Igbo man and having a strong communal identity within my hometown therein, often made my opinion a near suicidal act. It is not always easy to stand singly against a crowd under the firm grip of primordial sentiments. However, the recent article written by Ezugwu Okike which he called: 'Buhari's sin against Nigeria's unity' has filled my heart with concern and is propping me into yet another suicidal adventure (if that's what it is)

The law of choice, priority and preferences (of one thing over another) is, no doubt, part of political behaviorism that most people summarily describe as INTEREST. This interest is always in a "permanent shifting position". What this means, in essence, is that I may like Ezugwu Okike (an ibo), for example, but because he may not satisfy my interest at a particular temporal time, I may go for Femi or Musa (a Yoruba or Hausa) who may fill that "interest void" far deeper than Okike, and vice versa. But, very importantly, I may have to return to Okike to meet another interest, especially since he (Okike) is part of the whole circle of my general interest.

Now, it's because of this science of "meeting the interest" that makes people socialize and politick with one another; serving others faithfully, defending them, decamping or patiently scheming out things in their own eventual advantages. Surely, it's through this complex process of politicking that an Osibanjo could move higher above a Bakare in the "choice ranking", and Amaechi above Bafarawa, El Rufai above Malami and, or an Osita Okechukwu will drop below Rochas, and Ogbonnaya Onu above Ngige, etcetera.

In summary, politics demand loyalty, patience, perseverance and dexterity- if you're in doubt, ask the sorry duo of Tom Ikimi and Annie Okonkwo who impatiently stormed out of APC with anger just few months after the formation of the party, despite being instrumental to it's emergence. Needless to say that others who weren't there when this duo toiled expeditiously moved in to fill the voids they created and even reaped from the bounties of their labour.

As for Ibos, they need to understand that politics is not about noisy swashbuckling and ostensible display of acquired resources or disdained intelligence over other tribes- as Achebe conceded against his kinsmen in his memoir "There was a Country ". From what he was saying, being impudent ordinarily attracts malice, much more when a people (referring to Ibos) display it with certain contemptuous disregards to the quiet nature of their various hosts.

Of course, I agree with him; you don't extend a back hand to a man you're expecting to have a gift. The pestle won't enjoy the yam if it either delights in hitting the mortar with contempt or sidestepping it completely. Of what need will it even be considering that the pestle will always be rolled aside with the mortar in perpetual conjugality afterwards.

Buhari cannot be categorically dismissed as being tribalized on the basis of not appointing Ibos in non-ministerial positions. We must remember that the President contested election for a record four times...only winning in his fourth attempt. Have we ever considered that there maybe those who consistently stood with him in all his four attempts: 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015? And we know they're mostly Northerners and few Yorubas amongst which Femi Adesina stands out tallest. Atleast, particularly, this Buhari's first major political appointee has written a thousand pro-Buhari article on Daily Sun since 2002, most of which I read. Do we think they don't deserve to be given priority before and above others who only joined him later in 2015 or never supported him at all. Well, academically speaking, they should not be given any preference. But we are not talking academics. We're talking politics, so they should. Yet Mr President would not totally see it that way.

But assuming the President is biased at any rate, and excusing his trademark inability to conform to political correctness (to the delights of many Nigerians, anyways), can the Ibos beat their chest as being entitled to equal share of the cake in this new government? I don't think so, for such thing can only come as the working of grace. As God himself reckons in John 4:38, "I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor." And more like a reminder in Galatians 6:7 it forewarned, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." In other words, where a man soweth not he shall not reap except God permits. The Ibos have not sown.

But the Constitution has become their only saving grace, God's permission to reap beyond the sow. Yes, because never has the jurisprudence behind the constitutional clause of "every state a minister" been more clearer than it is today. Without doubt, it is now crystal clear that that provision of the constitution was enacted in order to veritably rescue a self inflicted situation like the one Ibos have unfortunately found themselves. I used the phrase "self inflicted" because I was privileged to witness the aloofness extended to the President during his campaigns in the East, particularly in Enugu. However, as I have said, it seems right to say that the constitution has salvaged what would have been a catastrophe for any ethno-political group that may be either characteristically or mischievously disposed to barking the wrong tree (whether Ibos or not). Otherwise, the provision is also a disenabling tool against any grugding President to engage in the evil politics of winner takes it all.

And left with no other option, President Buhari has ordinarily employed this constitutional grace and averted any further crisis, while equally being disappointingly human. Meanwhile, while the premeditation of this writing is not to totally absolve the President from blameworthiness in his pattern of appointment, wisdom is for Ibos to reflect more on their current political situation (very necessary). Their disposition towards "persecution complex", self righteousness, and more lately, political intimidation of the state are tactics far too lame to form workable solutions. Being a well-received, universally intelligent ethnic group, the Ibos should be more discerning to see their current woes as a result of mere political calculus that went wrong and quickly re-strategize for the coming future; or still, see it as a transient natural phenomenon that rides with the vagaries of politics other than a premeditated undertaking to undermine a "hated race". No doubt, the point of view expressed here maybe desirable, but no matter how agreeable it is, its limited appeal to an average Nigerian is not completely lost considering how our psyche has been inextricably tied to blind tribalism.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by jlinkd78(m): 7:47pm On Nov 07, 2015
f
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by aoshi: 7:55pm On Nov 07, 2015
Interesting read. Now get ready for some serious bashing.
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by specco(m): 8:17pm On Nov 07, 2015
Ndigbo didnt inflict any self situation on themselves. Or do you envisage for Nigeria a one party state? How else did you wish that all nigerians voted for Apc if your desire wasnt a one party state.
This article can only be summarized as balderdash

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by jerrywool: 8:44pm On Nov 07, 2015
This write up is suitable for the trash can. You mean the President has the right to marginalize a whole section of a country simply because he recieved the least vote from there? Did the North vote for Jonathan? Was the North marginalized during his administration? Idiotic writer.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by moderation2020: 8:46pm On Nov 07, 2015
specco:

Ndigbo didnt inflict any self situation on themselves. Or do you envisage for Nigeria a one party state? How else did you wish that all nigerians voted for Apc if your desire wasnt a one party state.
grin madam bring one oooooompa for my man grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 07, 2015
Utter trash!
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by lionduke(m): 9:28pm On Nov 07, 2015
I have always had a strong impulse to bare my mind. But being an Igbo man and having a strong communal identity within my hometown therein, often made my opinion a near suicidal act.
You started your article claiming who you are not

The law of choice, priority and preferences (of one thing over another) is, no doubt, part of political behaviorism that most people summarily describe as INTEREST. This interest is always in a "permanent shifting position". What this means, in essence, is that I may like Ezugwu Okike (an ibo), for example, but because he may not satisfy my interest at a particular temporal time, I may go for Femi or Musa (a Yoruba or Hausa) who may fill that "interest void" far deeper than Okike, and vice versa. But, very importantly, I may have to return to Okike to meet another interest, especially since he (Okike) is part of the whole circle of my general interest.
You then revealed your OFE-MMANU identity spewing jargon

As for Ibos, they need to understand that politics is not about noisy swashbuckling and ostensible display of acquired resources or disdained intelligence over other tribes- as Achebe conceded against his kinsmen in his memoir "There was a Country ". From what he was saying, being impudent ordinarily attracts malice, much more when a people (referring to Ibos) display it with certain contemptuous disregards to the quiet nature of their various hosts.
As a typical lazy onye OFE-MMANU it is natural that you develop jealousy

And left with no other option, President Buhari has ordinarily employed this constitutional grace and averted any further crisis, while equally being disappointingly human. Meanwhile, while the premeditation of this writing is not to totally absolve the President from blameworthiness in his pattern of appointment, wisdom is for Ibos to reflect more on their current political situation (very necessary). Their disposition towards "persecution complex", self righteousness, and more lately, political intimidation of the state are tactics far too lame to form workable solutions. Being a well-received, universally intelligent ethnic group, the [b]Ibos [/b]should be more discerning to see their current woes as a result of mere political calculus that went wrong and quickly re-strategize for the coming future; or still, see it as a transient natural phenomenon that rides with the vagaries of politics other than a premeditated undertaking to undermine a "hated race". No doubt, the point of view expressed here maybe desirable, but no matter how agreeable it is, its limited appeal to an average Nigerian is not completely lost considering how our psyche has been inextricably tied to blind tribalism.

It is IGBO not ibo and i think you will do well if you channel your writing skills to the mayhem fulani herdsmen are causing in yoruba land.
We have grown past 1967, it will come peacefully through diplomacy and advocacy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by laudate: 9:40pm On Nov 07, 2015
Catabolic:
As for Ibos, they need to understand that politics is not about noisy swashbuckling and ostensible display of acquired resources or disdained intelligence over other tribes- as Achebe conceded against his kinsmen in his memoir "There was a Country ". From what he was saying, being impudent ordinarily attracts malice, much more when a people (referring to Ibos) display it with certain contemptuous disregards to the quiet nature of their various hosts.....

Of course, I agree with him; you don't extend a back hand to a man you're expecting to have a gift. The pestle won't enjoy the yam if it either delights in hitting the mortar with contempt or sidestepping it completely. Of what need will it even be considering that the pestle will always be rolled aside with the mortar in perpetual conjugality afterwards.

Buhari cannot be categorically dismissed as being tribalized on the basis of not appointing Ibos in non-ministerial positions. We must remember that the President contested election for a record four times...only winning in his fourth attempt. Have we ever considered that there maybe those who consistently stood with him in all his four attempts: 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015? And we know they're mostly Northerners and few Yorubas amongst which Femi Adesina stands out tallest. Atleast, particularly, this Buhari's first major political appointee has written a thousand pro-Buhari article on Daily Sun since 2002, most of which I read. Do we think they don't deserve to be given priority before and above others who only joined him later in 2015 or never supported him at all. Well, academically speaking, they should not be given any preference. But we are not talking academics. We're talking politics, so they should. Yet Mr President would not totally see it that way.

But assuming the President is biased at any rate, and excusing his trademark inability to conform to political correctness (to the delights of many Nigerians, anyways), can the Ibos beat their chest as being entitled to equal share of the cake in this new government? I don't think so, for such thing can only come as the working of grace. As God himself reckons in John 4:38, "I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor." And more like a reminder in Galatians 6:7 it forewarned, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." In other words, where a man soweth not he shall not reap except God permits. The Ibos have not sown.

But the Constitution has become their only saving grace, God's permission to reap beyond the sow. Yes, because never has the jurisprudence behind the constitutional clause of "every state a minister" been more clearer than it is today. Without doubt, it is now crystal clear that that provision of the constitution was enacted in order to veritably rescue a self inflicted situation like the one Ibos have unfortunately found themselves. I used the phrase "self inflicted" because I was privileged to witness the aloofness extended to the President during his campaigns in the East, particularly in Enugu. However, as I have said, it seems right to say that the constitution has salvaged what would have been a catastrophe for any ethno-political group that may be either characteristically or mischievously disposed to barking the wrong tree (whether Ibos or not). Otherwise, the provision is also a disenabling tool against any grugding President to engage in the evil politics of winner takes it all.

And left with no other option, President Buhari has ordinarily employed this constitutional grace and averted any further crisis, while equally being disappointingly human. Meanwhile, while the premeditation of this writing is not to totally absolve the President from blameworthiness in his pattern of appointment, wisdom is for Ibos to reflect more on their current political situation (very necessary). Their disposition towards "persecution complex", self righteousness, and more lately, political intimidation of the state are tactics far too lame to form workable solutions. Being a well-received, universally intelligent ethnic group, the Ibos should be more discerning to see their current woes as a result of mere political calculus that went wrong and quickly re-strategize for the coming future; or still, see it as a transient natural phenomenon that rides with the vagaries of politics other than a premeditated undertaking to undermine a "hated race". No doubt, the point of view expressed here maybe desirable, but no matter how agreeable it is, its limited appeal to an average Nigerian is not completely lost considering how our psyche has been inextricably tied to blind tribalism.

Guy, I had to edit parts of your post to bring out the salient points. Apart from your mistake of referring to the Igbo as 'Ibo', almost every other thing you wrote is quite factual. You talk am well! shocked

It is interesting to know that Adesina has been writing pro-Buhari articles since 2002!! Wow! Talk about loyalty! shocked

Anyway, a few more appointments have been made from Ala'Igbo. Ngige and Ogbonnaya Onu have been appointed as Ministers, while Ibe Kachikwu has been made the head of NNPC, the first time an Igbo man would head that important parastatal. So Buhari is making an effort to build an inclusive team.
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by honeychild(f): 9:41pm On Nov 07, 2015
specco:

But there was effectively a "one party state" during the elections in the East. And the party was PDP

1 Like

Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by speedyGonzales: 10:12pm On Nov 07, 2015
honeychild:

But there was effectively a "one party state" during the elections in the East. And the party was PDP

we had PDP as a one party state initially but with Jonathan giving Prof Jega freedom unlike OBJ Nigeria progressed forward to a two party... essentially a democracy but we are slowly reverting to one party state again APC.

And one party is not going to work for a multicultural and tribal African society like Nigeria... it is not effective! I have said before the best system that would suit Nigeria is the system of direct democracy which is practised in Switzerland because the have a multicultural and tribal but indigenous country like ours! the USA system of representative democracy doesn't suit Nigeria.
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by hasyak(m): 10:15pm On Nov 07, 2015
You will receive serious bashing from your people, it beats my imagination the way think, instead of coming out with logical reasons, they only rely on propaganda and insults to make a point.

1 Like

Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by Duru1(m): 10:43pm On Nov 07, 2015
Catabolic:
I have read most of the screaming literature churned out plentifully in
scathing criticism of what has come to be known as Buhari's lopsided appointments. I have always had a strong impulse to bare my mind. But being an Igbo man and having a strong communal identity within my hometown therein, often made my opinion a near suicidal act. It is not always easy to stand singly against a crowd under the firm grip of primordial sentiments. However, the recent article written by Ezugwu Okike which he called: 'Buhari's sin against Nigeria's unity' has filled my heart with concern and is propping me into yet another suicidal adventure (if that's what it is)

Now, it's because of this science of "meeting the interest" that makes people socialize and politick with one another; serving others faithfully, defending them, decamping or patiently scheming out things in their own eventual advantages. Surely, it's through this complex process of politicking that an Osibanjo could move higher above a Bakare in the "choice ranking", and Amaechi above Bafarawa, El Rufai above Malami and, or an Osita Okechukwu will drop below Rochas, and Ogbonnaya Onu above Ngige, etcetera.

In summary, politics demand loyalty, patience, perseverance and dexterity- if you're in doubt, ask the sorry duo of Tom Ikimi and Annie Okonkwo who impatiently stormed out of APC with anger just few months after the formation of the party, despite being instrumental to it's emergence. Needless to say that others who weren't there when this duo toiled expeditiously moved in to fill the voids they created and even reaped from the bounties of their labour.

Per the bolded, some of the idiotic essayists seem to forgot the context on which they write just like deluded artists fail to understand the canvases on which they draw. This was exactly what happened in the 60s Nigeria when most dingbats in the zoo protested on the imaginary domination of the country by Ndiigbo. The loud cries from certain well-placed individuals in the society spurred riots and chaos. It even created theme in 1966 known as ARABA. It became so bad that it led to the civil war. Since after the civil war, the statues quo had remained that Ndiigbo had do hop three times more than any ethnic group in Nigeria to make sense in relevancy. Look at the JAMB intake cutoff mark, Ndiigbo had be placed in the bracket that only a satan with good head can scale it. Yet when the need for the use of such highly acquired education is needed, the choice of so-called priority and preference seemed to favor the dunces. Why would anybody with correct head wonder about the depthless pit of crap called Nigeria? It defies deductive logic for any reasonable person to question the intent of certain group of people to bail out from inconsequential cesspit called Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by laudate: 10:47pm On Nov 07, 2015
lionduke:

It is IGBO not ibo and i think you will do well if you channel your writing skills to the mayhem fulani herdsmen are causing in yoruba land.
We have grown past 1967, it will come peacefully through diplomacy and advocacy.

In what way did he claim to be who he was not?? And why did you classify him as an 'Ofe mmanu'? Simply because he referred to the Igbo as 'Ibo'? So anyone who refers to Nd'Igbo as 'Ibo' is automatically an 'Ofe mmanu', in your own myopic world?? Are you aware that there are over 150 other tribes in Nigeria??! shocked
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by chosen04(f): 4:51am On Nov 08, 2015
laudate:

In what way did he claim to be who he was not?? And why did you classify him as an 'Ofe mmanu'? Simply because he referred to the Igbo as 'Ibo'? So anyone who refers to Nd'Igbo as 'Ibo' is automatically an 'Ofe mmanu', in your own myopic world?? Are you aware that there are over 150 other tribes in Nigeria??! shocked
He started by claiming to be Igbo and then went on a long chase of addressing Igbos as Ibos.....cant you decode the dude sold himself out? He is offcourse an "Ofe-Mmanu"
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by biafranqueen: 4:58am On Nov 08, 2015
lionduke:

I saw that as well Rose would have busted him if you hadn't. grin
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by M4gunners: 5:26am On Nov 08, 2015
Some stupid animals will register today only to create a thread. The most annoying part is that they will claim another tribe just to deceive people.
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by Ajaoogbo: 5:44am On Nov 08, 2015
It's disheartening that I read this poo to the end.
Re: Before Dying Tomorrow What Every Igbo Must Know Today- By Izu Aniagu by naijaGhandi: 8:24am On Nov 08, 2015
My people this is what politics cause, imagine what will have happened to yorubas or northerners if Jonathan had won. They would have felt the same way igbos feel about this government. It's everywhere even in America, black Americans played their politics well and obama became a president for the first time in the history of America. Nigeria, politics is about the numbers and strategy. Every tribe should play wisely.

(1) (Reply)

Would You Employ This Man To Run Your Company? (pics) / Untouchable FIRS Boss, Tunde Fowler In Another Secret Employment Scandal / Buhari To Arrive Nigeria Today By 6pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.