Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? (3916 Views)

What I Learnt From Leaving My Teaching Job / Can I Be A Lecturer In The University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by kay9(m): 3:55am On Dec 25, 2015
coolhamid:

Opinions are like Assholes, everybody is entitled to one.

Classic. cool
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by pete26(m): 1:55pm On Dec 25, 2015
You're definitely good at what u do and coupled with the fact that you made some outstanding performance in the past, that made u an asset to them. Nobody wants lose an asset u'd agree with me. If ur colleagues had had made substantial achievements like u maybe their case would have been different. So keep doing what u do best. BUT learn from ur mistakes, so it doesn't re-occur that way u'll prove them right, that dey made d right decision to let u stay. Lastly it's pretty hard working in an environment where d relationship with ur colleagues isn't good but then quitting cos of that in my opinion makes u weak. If u get another job and face the same predicament will u quit as well? My guess is no. Be strong, pray about it and just keep doing ur thing. From ur story I can say u're FAVOURED.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by MathsChic(f): 9:38pm On Dec 25, 2015
xfire:
Nice question....and a very intellectual one for that matter. Here are my thoughts...

I have been somewhat involved in a similar situation in my first place of work. I made a huge rookie mistake (or so I was told) that cost the company a few millions of Naira. I would have been sacked save for the fact that I was a trainee (and a good one at that). My boss, who liked me, tried to cover up for me and was demoted for that reason. Eventhough no one showed me any sign of unease or hatred, I was very uncomfortable till I finally left the company for another one. I was so concerned about my career growth. I feared it might stunt my growth despite that fact that my new boss was also a very nice and understanding guy. He still remains my best boss till date. So i totally understand your predicament.

I am on my 3rd job and I can tell you that I have worked under various circumstances. I have worked with all shades of bosses and colleagues - the good, the bad and the ugly. I can't begin to recant all my experiences here.

To sum it all up, 90% of your job as an employee is to manage people - your clients, colleagues and bosses. There will be times when the situation at work is tense. It is not enough to quit. Part of the job experience involves learning how to cope socially, mentally, physically, intellectually, morally and emotionally. In a contemporary workplace, you will be tested on all fronts. How you manage and get results despite the challenges will stand you out from others. Office politics and dynamics are to be expected. There is really nothing beyond the ordinary in your current experience. Most top employees have faced similar issues in one form or the other over the course of their career.

However, if the work environment gets so intense that you honestly feel you have given it your best shot and can't possibly cope again, move on ONLY if you have gotten another job. I do not think envy from colleagues is enough to quit a job midway. Meanwhile, you can be on the lookout for another job pr think of working dor yourself.

Cheers.....!
Thanks a lot for this advice. You said quite a lot of important stuff, including encouraging words. I appreciate it.
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by magneto(m): 10:26pm On Dec 25, 2015
MathsChic:

Thanks for your advice. You summed it up pretty well. The competition is INTENSE! Intense is probably an understatement. It's under such atmosphere that you need to watch your back incessantly it starts to bother on paranoia, lol.
Thanks though. I'll try not to be discouraged and press on. smiley

Babes the above comment is troubling. U have to seriously start considering a different path asap. Think of something ur passionate abt and can enjoy doing even for free...then privately train urself to be good at it, and when the time's right get da hell outta there and free ur destiny!
Pls don't let the oyibo system turn u into an efficient, emotionless, humanoid. Who knows, sometimes God puts us in these boiling pot situations in order to force us out and into our destined paths. Remain strong and true to yourself ok, and don't bother too much abt dem haters... Management obviously don't!
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by Olanirans(m): 4:40pm On Jan 10, 2016
Hello MathsChic,

Though I rarely comment to threads, but the picture of intelligence you must have displayed to earn that award from your parent company followed by the unfortunate mistake committed that led to the awkward aura you are receiving from your colleagues necessitate this.

First, mistake or no mistake, you deserve to be happy and accepted in your work environment if you must be healthy and live long. You spend most of your useful time and energy at work, why then must you do that when must of the time you have too keep watching your back every minute. It doesn't make any sense. So my sister, unless things change, it will be advisable you start looking for another job.

Second, there is an adage that says "It's better to leave when the ovation is loudest". My take is this; you've made the company proud by your giant stride and intelligent input which in tiun translated to financial gain and value to your company. Now that things seems to be turning sour, if other job opportunity come knocking at your door, please kindly grasp it.

That's my widow's mite.

Remain blessed.

1 Like

Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by lekpaciouse(f): 4:49pm On Jan 10, 2016
RuggedArab:
Who quits a job because of how unfriendly your colleagues are?

Who also quits a job when you don't have another offer?

People are entitled to feel, behave or talk what ever they want; that makes them humans.

Op, you should have heard of FAVOUR. Maybe you have just been favoured not to be relieved of your job; maybe because of your past achievements.

Don't allow what people do or say make you feel worst of yourself. I'll advise you not to leave your job until you get a new one; it seems you are fed up with your company.

Yea do not allow what people say bother you,life is full of challenges you have to take it like that pending when you have another offer,after all is not too good to have a friend in your work place because people you call your friends might
be the one to put in trouble one day,please be wise when taking a decision
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by peleson: 3:29pm On Jan 12, 2016
MathsChic:

Thanks. Doing that already.
If u r that productive, I Willl hire u
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by phoenix480(m): 12:57am On Jan 17, 2016
xfire:

To sum it all up, 90% of your job as an employee is to manage people - your clients, colleagues and bosses.

So on point! Its amazing that I have never thought of any of my job roles from this perspective...
Re: Should I Be Bothered About Leaving? by OfficialIYANU(m): 1:25am On Apr 14, 2016
MathsChic:
I have a thing that has been bothering me recently, so I want to share with you to seek advice.

I work in a segment of the financial industry where, to put it succintly, you don't make a mistake. Better put, you shouldn't make a mistake. It's not advisable. If you do make one mistake, you are most certainly gonna get fired. Everyone understands this and tries their best to adjust.

Work is complex and full of numerous procedures you have to learn through and through. It is expected that you should understand these procedures and try as much as possible not to make a mistake associated with human error. Now, unfortunately, I made a nasty mistake some weeks ago. But the company didn't release me. Before now, I had contributed quite significantly to boosting company revenues through some direct actions I took, and also in developing some creative financial solutions to help save a lot of money. Some of these financial solutions my company has made into businesses. One time, I managed to wring out a significant deal out of a tough client, and the parent company based in Houston rewarded me for this with an award. My thinking is that, they are not firing me because of these past achievements. I can't be too sure, so I'm still bracing for impact smiley

However, the deal is, a lot of people in the office are really beefing me right now. Some people have made only half a mistake and have been immediately fired. Lately, a lot more have been fired for quite other weird reasons, especially as we started losing work from oil clients. And I'm still standing, so it seems.

I have a strong feeling of an unfriendly atmosphere around my colleagues; and I spot some refusal to associate with me, especially as some of those who have been fired were involved in the same issue for which I got not more than a slap on the wrist. I don't like the feeling I get from others, and I'm really thinking of leaving the company.

But I have no other offers or job at the moment to go to.

NEVER QUIT for another person. You'd regret later. #EXPERIENCE

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Population Commission Salary Structure / How Much Does A Cadet Of Nda Receive Monthly / Internship Connect: Looking For Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.