Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? (4251 Views)

Poll: Should we?

Yes: 50% (22 votes)
No: 50% (22 votes)
This poll has ended

Good Bye Nigeria: Give Us Oduduwa Or Let Us Die - FFK / Buhari Receives The Prime Minister Of Sao Tome In Abuja (Photos) / This Picture Shows Why North Rules Nigeria: Give Your Comments! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by Kabikala(m): 11:52am On May 14, 2009
THE PUNCH NEWSPAPER

Published May 14, 2009

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Article-print2.aspx?theartic=Art200905142573775

Yar’Adua seeks N’Assembly’s approval to lend Sao Tome and Principe N1.45bn

President Umaru Yar’Adua has asked the Senate to approve a $10m (about N1.45bn) loan to the Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe to assist the country in addressing some socio-economic problems.

The President made the request through a letter addressed to the President of the Senate, Mr. David Mark, which was read on the floor of the Senate on Wednesday.

Yar‘Adua, while urging the Senate to approve the $10m grant, said the amount would be sourced from his contingency vote.

He said, ”The Senate President and the distinguished senators may kindly wish to note that the government of the Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe, through its Prime Minister, Dr. Patrice Emery Trovoada, made a request for a soft loan of US$30m from the Federal Republic of Nigeria in March 2008.

”The loan is to assist the government address some socio-economic difficulties in the country.”

According to Yar‘Adua, he had directed the Debt Management Office to evaluate the request and it had advised that the soft loan could be considered based on some stated reasons.

He said Nigeria‘s assistance to Sao Tome and Principe, a strategic maritime neighbour, anchored in the framework of the Joint Development Zone, would strengthen and consolidate the security in the Gulf region.

It would take into account the geopolitics of international oil crisis and economic interest of Nigeria.

He noted that, ”By the nature of the request, especially the emergency that the DRSTP faces and considering the relationship between Nigeria and DRSTP, the soft loan could be interest free, while the loan would be repaid within four to six years.”

COMPARING THE TWO COUNTRIES

INDICATOR                             NIGERIA                  SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
Population                          148.1million                     0.2 million
Infant Mortality Rate       100/1,000 live births 77/1,000 live births
Life Expectancy                            47 years                     64 years
% of population under nourished 9%                      10%
% of population with access to       
improved water sources               47%                      86%

Source: Population Reference Bureau 2008 World Population Data Sheet

INDICATOR             NIGERIA                        SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
Under five Mortality Rank 8                                 38
Under five Mortality Rate 189/1,000 live births 99/1,000 live births
Adult Literacy Rate                 72%                                 88%
Primary School Enrolment 63%                                 98%
GNI per capita                 $930                                 $870

Source: UNICEF State of World Children 2009
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by ibrokay(m): 11:55am On May 14, 2009
Yeye country with senseless leaders
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by Badriyyah(f): 11:58am On May 14, 2009
We haven't even taken care of our own, we want to start taking care of other people, Naija, when will you change. angry
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by agabaI23(m): 12:08pm On May 14, 2009
May be there is a benefit which I do not know but based on what I have just read and considering the fact that Nigeria is trying to borrow to sort their budget deficit, I think this is shear madness on the side of Yar'Adua!
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by asha80(m): 12:32pm On May 14, 2009
nigeria is a joke grin
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by busibodi(f): 1:34pm On May 14, 2009
Good idea but needs to be well planned.

The loan should be given but with conditions.

In that way, Nigerians will benefit and Sao Tome too.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by tpiah: 1:55pm On May 14, 2009
why not.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by chidichris(m): 6:30am On May 15, 2009
is possible that there is an agreement that nigeria must not move forward so let them give the money to countries that are moving forward.
remember, nigeria sometime ago gave loan to united arab emirates and today dubai and other states in that country is the dream of every nigerian. today all our politicians are investing their funds in dubai. if there is any country in the world today that requires help, it is nigeria. a country in darkness shld be praying for other countries to help her out of darkness.
there is absolutely no accurate record of ppl dying in nigeria because i know 80% of our rural areas are out of the govt's rada hence no record.
this pdp lead govt is just out to give eye services to the international world. maybe, this is part of the rebranding excercise.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by kosovo(m): 6:47am On May 15, 2009
Nigeria= misplaced priorities
$10m portable water in my community.
what a waste!
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by IFELEKE(m): 8:15am On May 15, 2009
There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving another country loan,what our gluttonic leaders need do is to set their house in order before they venture out.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by adconline(m): 8:37am On May 15, 2009
nigeria sao tome Principe joint commission will fetch Nigeria hundreds of millions of dollar annually. nigeria controls 60% of oil and gas proceeds from the treaty. to whom much is given much is expected. remember OBJ had to send soldiers to restore a civilian govt was toppled by soldiers in 2003.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by snowdrops(m): 9:24am On May 15, 2009
could it be possible that this is ploy by our crooked leaders to siphon money out of the country under the guise of gving loans?
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by sayso: 11:09am On May 15, 2009
is simple give them the money and siphon their oil rich block to Nigeria.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by jumobi1(m): 11:15am On May 15, 2009
maybe there's a benefit to that. Look at it as an investment. ALl these Developed countries are powers because of the interest rates they get from loans. Even broke people invest in stocks
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by Jaytee67(m): 11:22am On May 15, 2009
It is absolutely uncalled for. How can a government which has not been able to tackle its own internal problems step out to help others. It is hypocrisy of the highest order. Yar'Adua should concentrate his magnanimity in solving fuel crisis, security problem and electoral problems, etc in this country first if he has anything to offer otherwise posterity will not hold him blameless (whether he is prepared to govern or not, he need to wake up).
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by eyeshadow(f): 11:27am On May 15, 2009
adconline:

nigeria sao tome Principe joint commission will fetch Nigeria hundreds of millions of dollar annually. nigeria controls 60% of oil and gas proceeds from the treaty. to whom much is given much is expected. remember OBJ had to send soldiers to restore a civilian govt was toppled by soldiers in 2003.

Are you implying that this is will be a wise move in the long run? It doesn't seem to make sense especially as Sao Tome seems to be faring better than Nigeria. If any government needs help with the socio-economic difficulties of its country it should be the Nigerian government!

To read that this "soft loan" will be interest-free and will be repaid in four to six years even makes it more unbelievable. I will be very shocked if this bid is approved.  angry
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by PAPABOMBOY: 12:18pm On May 15, 2009
Answer: To protect business dis awa hard time.

Una know sey awa Maradona General (IBB) get mega oil business for Sao Tome------follow the money grin grin grin
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by solosimple(m): 12:21pm On May 15, 2009
An Housa man can never stop thinking like a cow! angry angry angry
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by solosimple(m): 12:23pm On May 15, 2009
Una know sey awa Maradona General (IBB) get mega oil business for Sao Tome-

I see!
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by solosimple(m): 12:25pm On May 15, 2009
maybe there's a benefit to that. Look at it as an investment. ALl these Developed countries are powers because of the interest rates they get from loans. Even broke people invest in stocks
Perhaps

But not at this period that our economy is in great danger.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by Kabikala(m): 1:16pm On May 15, 2009
@Jumobi

This particular loan is interest-free.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by solosimple(m): 1:34pm On May 15, 2009
This particular loan is interest-free.

Can u imagine that.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by SamMilla1(m): 2:07pm On May 15, 2009
The population of Nigeria is still drawing them back but they will eventually get there. Believe me.

People compare us with India and China in Population. No You dont Check it that way. We are the most populous in Sub-Saharan Africa and to my Knowledge , None of the countries with up to half of our population is doing that fine. We know how to blame the govt but not ourselves. Who are the Govt ? I recall when i wanted to do my Drivers Licence In Onitsha. It took me over 7000 to process but i saw 1, 200 written on it. Good. I am sure the federal govt wasn't aware. Its my duty to find the appropriate authorities and report that issue but i didn't. Now that blame goes to me too. Even if the authorities wont listen, they will be forced to listen when 500 people reported the same issue. Maybe we masses should start doing smoothing to improve our govt. We dont sit back and expect results. Things dont work that way.

Back to the topic. Nigeria is better of than that small country with no resources. Besides that money will end up in someones bank account in London Or Switzerland. Not like our opinions Matters anyway.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by otokx(m): 2:49pm On May 15, 2009
Just look at the life expectancy of both countries. Its liks Yar Adua wants to increase theirs while decreasing ours.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by debosky(m): 3:08pm On May 15, 2009
What are the wider implications of giving this loan?

I think Yar'adua's government is doing this to gain more advantage in the Nigeria - Sao Tome Joint Development Zone (JDZ) in the Gulf of Guinea in the Atlantic Ocean. $10m is a reasonable investment if it will get us increased share or benefits from the crude oil resources off the coast of the country.

The comparisons of the countries in terms of life expectancy is unrealistic. $10m will not cause a significant dent in the human development index of Nigeria but will likely benefit Sao Tome more and more importantly, can be used as a persuasive tool to get better terms for Nigeria in the JDZ resources.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by PurestBoy(m): 3:21pm On May 15, 2009
Can you now see how Hausa people think? This yaradull brain wants to use the tax payers money do santa claus when there are several undeveloped parastatals in the country. I can't wait to find my way out. Enough is enough
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by dae(f): 3:55pm On May 15, 2009
ewooooooooo!!! THEY GIVING OTHER PEOPLE LOAN?? AND THEY DOING NOTHING ABOUT OUR LIGHT/NEPA SITUATION?!?!?
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by slimfine(f): 4:26pm On May 15, 2009
The Article said that loan is may be "Interest free." unless they have hidden gain from lending the money, if not, this gesture should not be considered responsible. I mean we are talking about nigeria where if you don't deposite money at the hospital during emergency, they allow you to die!!! cry this so dumb! better yourself first Nigeria,
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by hilli666(m): 4:29pm On May 15, 2009
Hell yeah! We should also charged them "HIGH INTEREST" like the IMF, Paris Club, and World Bank charged us in the late 70's. (We are are still paying for it. even after much of the debt has been forgiven)  So that when they default on the loan, We would now own all their land with its speculated potential oil reserves. OOHand it is a beautiful vacation spot. We should even give them more money sef! Before some corrupted politician decided to cart it away.
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by FaaKaYTeL(m): 4:43pm On May 15, 2009
LIGHT NO DEY OUR AREA FOR LAGOS!!!  grin wan go borrow some ppl money!!!  4kup
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by init4dmoni(m): 4:51pm On May 15, 2009
yar'adua is a fool period!!(anyway we all know dere's another reason for this)
wats up wid the life expectancy "47" that's way too low it should be 74 or something higher
Re: Should Nigeria Give A Loan To Sao Tome And Principe? by SegzyJoe(m): 4:53pm On May 15, 2009
@post

Sincerely, I was suprised to see some nairaland experts on Nigerian politics not understanding the age long, simple and the most elementary arithmetic of foreign policy and economic diplomacy game
Again, I must confess that foreign policy issue is elitist in nature, as we used to say, "It suffers low clientele support. The ordinary man does not care what goes on outside Nigeria border, unfortunately most of the reasons for his suffering are determined outside the border of his country.

Anyway, Nigeria's romance with Sao Tome and Principe is strictly economical. When I read their request for loan, I was very happy, yet I wonder why Nigeria cannot give them all the $30 million they requested. But when I read further, I realized that Nigeria will give them the money batch by batch, $10 million first and others will come later.

As someone has rightly observed, there was a joint agreement and venture between Sao Tome and Nigeria on Oil exploration, production and marketing purposes.  To say the least, the agreement is in Nigeria's favour. Sao Tome is an oil rich country that is attracting many actors including the United States. The truth is, if Nigeria failed to give them the money, there are many countries that are ready to give them, infact, our major competitor in that country then was the United States, but we were there before the Bush Administration re-focus American Energy Policy in the Gulf of Guinea. The first and foremost objective of AFRICOM is to protect US energy source in the Gulf of Guniea and then Terrorism.

Maybe I should digress a little, the prospect of the Joint Venture between Nigeria and Sao Tome in Oil exploration was behind the floating of Transcorp. The idea is to have a Nigeria multi national corporation that will compete with other multinationals in Africa most especially in Sao Tome and our other areas of influence like Liberia, Sierra Leone etc.

Today, most of the Multinational corporations (MCN) here in Nigeria and else where were floated through the support of the various foreign governments to explore resources in other lands and to maximize the benefits for their countries, that is why they repatriate profits to their mother countries.

The discovery of oil in commercial quantity and Nigerian involvement was irresistible for the Sao Tome Army and they took over government with a view to undermine the Joint Venture and bring in other countries to do the work for them (apparently the Sao Tome Army was sponsored by other interested state actors). Sao Tome is a country of 300,000 thousand population and they didn't have means (capital and the technology to transform the huge oil deposit reality) to invest required capital to transform the oil rich potential to dream.

It is high time Nigerians realizes that to be relevant in the 21st century, Nigeria must be a player, active player for that matter. I read in the news that during Jacob Zuma inurguration, Nigeria president sat among the crowd of other African leaders which is quite unfortunate, just about three years ago, other African leaders always come to Abuja to pay their homage to Obasanjo, infact, OBJ was demi-god in West Africa, for the first time in African diplomacy Gaddafi became African Union Chairman because Nigeria went to sleep.  Obj attended G8 meeting twice and spoke for Africa, today our president was not invited for G20 summit.

We must re-invent ourselves, we must take our place in the comity of nations, we must not abdicate our responsibility, we have sacrificed for Africa and we are still sacrificing, but no one should deny us our right of place in Africa and in world affairs.  

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ncc Budgets To Spend N75m To Change Toilet Doors And Keys In 2012. / Compare Nigeria's Old And New National Anthem / Heatwave: Soldier Guarding Prince Charles Collapses. This Is Terrible! See Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.