Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,648 members, 7,813,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria (4508 Views)

10 Poorest States in Nigeria According To National Bureau Of Statistics / Latest List Of Oil Producing States By Barrels Produced Perday / The 10 Poorest States In Nigeria+See The State With The Highest Poverty Rate(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by odave: 5:38am On Nov 09, 2015
The National Bureau of Statistics has released data listing the 10 poorest states in Nigeria after a recent survey was carried out on the bureau’s website. 

1. Sokoto state is listed as the poorest state in Nigeria with a poverty rate of 81.2%. The state is known for its hostile climatic conditions with normal day temperature as high as 45 Degrees Celsius. Most parts of the state are rural areas and over eighty percent (80%) of the inhabitants of Sokoto practice one form of agriculture or another. 

2. Katsina is a state in North central Nigeria and has the highest poverty prevalence among all states in the region. 

3. Adamawa was created in 1991 from the extinct Gongola state.  Adamawa has of late been terrorized by the Boko Haram terrorists, disrupting its economic development and growth. 

4. Gombe is another North eastern state which suffers sporadic attacks from terrorists. 

5. Jigawa state is situated in the north-western part of the country. It is mostly populated by the Hausa/Fulani, who are spread throughout the state. It has a 74.1 percent poverty rate. 

6. Plateau state is the twelfth largest state of Nigeria, and it is haunted by  terrorist attacks and tribal clashes from time to time, especially clashes between Fulani herdsmen and its inhabitants. 

7. Ebonyi is the only south-eastern state among the top 10 poorest states. 

8. In Hausa the word Bauchi means, the land of freedom and tourism. However recent Boko Haram adventures in the area, though few, have driven tourists away from the area. 

9. Kebbi It is bordered by Sokoto State, Niger State, Dosso Region in the Republic of Niger and the nation of Benin. The recently concluded Sir Ahmadu Bello International Airport (SABIA), stands out as one of Nigeria’s most sophisticated airports and is expected to boost the state’s economy.

10. In Zamfara, the governor of Zamfara was blasted for the “alarming scope of economic dangers and its potential threat to the economic development of the state,” by the Zamfara Budget Working Group.

Niger is the state with the lowest poverty rate which is 33.8%. 

It was followed by Osun (37.9%) and Ondo (45.7%). Bayelsa (47%) and Lagos (48.6%) have less than 50% poverty rate. The average poverty rate in the Northwest geopolitical zone is 71.4%, which remained the highest in the said area.

It is followed by the Northeast region which has 69.1% and the North central region which has 60.7%. Poverty was least dominant in the Southwest (49.8%), South-South (55.5%), and South-East regions (59.5%).

http://www.tori.ng/news/12768/see-the-list-of-10-poorest-states-in-nigeria.html
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:42am On Nov 09, 2015
Osun state should be number one in that list. Nothing is going on in that state, literally nothing! Even Northern nigeria has massive projects going on. Osun has nothing, still they can't pay salaries.

Southwest is just basking in the glory of Lagos. It's a shame

Ebonyi generated more igr than anambra and you still call them poor? Yes, they're owing salaries but they're clearing it

Pictures of ebonyi state capital, abakaliki.

2 Likes

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by shepherd77: 5:42am On Nov 09, 2015
Ok.
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:47am On Nov 09, 2015
Why Ebonyi? And Ekiti is not there? This is why I want an end to One Nigeria...this insult has to stop. Osun low poverty rate? Osun state that people are hungry if not starving. Yoruba propaganda at work...beware

6 Likes

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Cutehector(m): 5:47am On Nov 09, 2015
Lol d op must be a biafran cheesy
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by IlekeHD: 5:53am On Nov 09, 2015
new2020:
Why Ebonyi? And Ekiti is not there? This is why I want an end to One Nigeria...this insult has to stop. Osun low poverty rate? Osun state that people are hungry if not starving. Yoruba propaganda at work...beware

Imo, Enugu and Abua state owes months of salary, if not more than Osun. Imo owes 15months of salary for goodness sakes.

Southeast is poor, that's why you lots run to Yorubaland.

After this protest I expect the rate for SE to go up. I'm going to need you guys to start bombing things to show us how serious you are.

11 Likes

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:58am On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

Imo, Enugu and Abua state owes months of salary, if not more than Osun. Imo owes 15months of salary for goodness sakes.

After this protest I expect the rate for SE to go up. I'm going to need you guys to start bombing things to show us how serious you are.

You are comparing Enugu, Abia and Imo to a failed and unproductive state as Osun? This is another reason I want an end to One Nigeria. THIS INSULT HAS TO STOP.

6 Likes

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by lmm4real: 6:01am On Nov 09, 2015
From the way my Edo state governor has been singing his NO MONEY song I thought we where actually number one on the list.

1 Like

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by IlekeHD: 6:02am On Nov 09, 2015
new2020:

You are comparing Enugu, Abia and Imo to a failed and unproductive state as Osun? This is another reason I want an end to One Nigeria. THIS INSULT HAS TO STOP.

Abia, imo and enugu are failed states.

I don't know what YOUR yardstick for "failure" is, but any state owing a month salary is a failed state. 15 months is just uncivilized.

Am I stopping you from stopping one Nigeria? Internet warrior. My friend, stop the laziness and go protest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Akposkool(m): 6:02am On Nov 09, 2015
How can you put gombe state that is so rich? Please have you checked the west. Apart from lagos, the poverty rate in the west is alarming just ask osun and ondo. I agree some northern states are very poor because of the size of their population.
Proudly deltan we da big heart and we are funded

1 Like

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by divinehand2003(m): 6:04am On Nov 09, 2015
Nigeria is a poverty stricken nation, nothing works at the moment. All states lack innovations and can't even provide employment for its citizenry, not to talk of paying civil servants under their employ. Many are looking for bail out funds to survive. Internally generated revenue is in shambles in most states while multiple taxation of the poor masses is now the order of the day.
Nigeria is indeed In a sorry state at the moment.
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by pet4ril(f): 6:15am On Nov 09, 2015
Hmmmmm, op hope you researched very well before posting this? angry
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Okimski(m): 6:19am On Nov 09, 2015
Hahahahaha. The more Hausa and Fulani try to govern this country the more poorer they become, their leaders don't care about them just their pockets and the funny thing is that, the illiterates don't know.

1 Like

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

mehn, I read your posts and I get headaches you sound like a criminal. Weren't you the one that posted pictures of state igr on your thread wch clearly shows the west is the poorest amongst southern nigeria? You still have the guts to type this trash? Mehn, I tire for you ooo

1 Like

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by LastSurvivor: 6:28am On Nov 09, 2015
U can now see how cursed those northern states are..
Parasites!!
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by IlekeHD: 6:30am On Nov 09, 2015
liberty300:
mehn, I read your posts and I get headaches you sound like a criminal. Weren't you the one that posted pictures of state igr on your thread wch clearly shows the west is the poorest amongst southern nigeria? You still have the guts to type this trash? Mehn, I tire for you ooo

Then stop reading it upside down. Lol funny Pygmy.
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by kadas01(m): 6:35am On Nov 09, 2015
The problem is no "true federalism"!

Every state ought to "contribute" something, no matter how small!

But the "reverse is the case" here in Naija!
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 09, 2015
Akposkool:
How can you put gombe state that is so rich? Please have you checked the west. Apart from lagos, the poverty rate in the west is alarming just ask osun and ondo. I agree some northern states are very poor because of the size of their population.
don't mind them. South West is the most underdeveloped and dirtiest region in nigeria. They don't know we're well travelled so we see these things with our own eyes
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by IlekeHD: 6:40am On Nov 09, 2015
liberty300:
don't mind them. South West is the most underdeveloped and dirtiest region in nigeria. They don't know we're well travelled so we see these things with our own eyes

Abia is actually the dirtiest state in Nigeria, followed by wherever the hellhole Onitsha is located. Southeast is just dirty.

To add to the plight, erosion is endless.

If SW was that dirty, Igbos won't run to Yorubaland. Who goes to igboland? Fulani herdsmen even manage you guys small.

2 Likes

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:51am On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

Abia is actually the dirtiest state in Nigeria, followed by wherever the hellhole Onitsha is located. Southeast is just dirty.

To add to the plight, erosion is endless.

If SW was that dirty, Igbos won't run to Yorubaland. Who goes to igboland? Fulani herdsmen even manage you guys small.
you sound pained!have you been to east before? I guess not. I have been to the west and north. Take it from me, your people are the dirtiest. You can play this one of two ways:

1. Admit that the west is underdeveloped and have a need for progression or

2. Deny your reality because you're too ashamed to admit the truth and let the west continue in its downslide

I don't like talking too much. I back my statements with facts.

Pictures of onitsha, below

2 Likes

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by IlekeHD: 6:55am On Nov 09, 2015
liberty300:
you sound pained!have you been to east before? I guess not. I have been to the west and north. Take it from me, your people are the dirtiest. You can play this one of two ways:

1. Admit that the west is underdeveloped and have a need for progression or

2. Deny your reality because you're too ashamed to admit the truth and let the west continue in its downslide

I don't like talking too much. I back my statements with facts.

Pictures of onitsha, below

There are nice locations in every city. Even Lagos has slums for gala hawkers like you.
The SE is pretty much dirty. States like Abia, especially, needs revisiting.

1 Like

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by saa5555: 6:56am On Nov 09, 2015
Hmmm

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by IlekeHD: 6:58am On Nov 09, 2015
60% poverty rate in The SE. Chaiiii

The rate keeps going up each year.

1 Like

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:58am On Nov 09, 2015
Ok
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:00am On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

There are nice locations in every city. Even Lagos has slums for gala hawkers like you.
The SE is pretty much dirty. States like Abia, especially, needs revisiting.
i would urge you to visit anambra thread to see every location in the state from the lens of its residence. The first pic I posted of onitsha is actually a slum (low income, high density area).

Abia state is also clean. Most pictures posted here are that of ariaria market (a market). Umuahia is also in Abia state, that place is cleaner than all of Lagos
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by IlekeHD: 7:01am On Nov 09, 2015
liberty300:
i would urge you to visit anambra thread to see every location in the state from the lens of its residence. The first pic I posted of onitsha is actually a slum (low income, high density area).

Abia state is also clean. Most pictures posted here are that of ariaria market (a market). Umuahia is also in Abia state, that place is cleaner than all of Lagos

When was the last time YOU visited the anambra thread?

Yes, Borno is also clean by your standard. Dirty Igbo people.
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Gwan2(m): 7:01am On Nov 09, 2015
In as much as i dont intend disputing diz analysis wich is d exclusive perogatv of diz agency...i wil like 2 ask
Is d poverty rate of d populice d only yardstick 4 rating?....What happen 2 d rate of unemployment in d state, d employability index of d population, institutions in place, standard of living etc.
Also i think we wil b promotin mediocrity by listin states in Nigeria with highest poverty rate when Nigeria itself is poverty strickened.
The implication is dat most of diz non performin governors wil rest on diz illusion n go deeper into sleep knwin after all statistic speaks well of hiz perfomance.
This rating is akin to becloudin a dullard reseasoning dat he is d best among committee of dullards.....
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by bobofati(m): 7:01am On Nov 09, 2015
Op, what index did u use to arrive at your conclusions? Gombe is not a poverty stricken state. The fact that a state is suffering from terrorist attack does not make it poor.
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Pavore9: 7:02am On Nov 09, 2015
Akposkool:

I beg to disagree where you stated some northern states are very poor because of the size of their population. It is not an issue of population size rather the culture that does not ginger quest for excellence in many spheres of life. Do they hunger for education like other parts of Country? Aspiration for a better life is not devolved amongst them, a child who is born into a poor background in Akwa ibom tends to want to exert himself in order to make lemonade from lemons but that can not boldly be said to be same with one from the North!

The South is more built around people having something no matter how little as against the North where few have access to the good life while the multitude live in dire penury! angry

1 Like

Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by drberry(m): 7:04am On Nov 09, 2015
I have learnt over time not to believe that any state is poor even though I agree that some are richer than some. Reasons being that, if only the leaders were not stealing and were judiciously using state resources for the development of their states, then we wouldn't be having much problems. Rather what we see in the system is stealing, stealing and more stealing so that even the so-called rich States don't even have anything feasible to show that they're rich.
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by costandi(m): 7:06am On Nov 09, 2015
liberty300:
Osun state should be number one in that list. Nothing is going on in that state, literally nothing! Even Northern nigeria has massive projects going on. Osun has nothing, still they can't pay salaries

Ebonyi generated more igr than anambra and you still call them poor? Yes, they're owing salaries but they're clearing it

Pictures of ebonyi state capital, abakaliki.
Oga I can see pics of Enugu there, why you dey lie?
Re: See The Latest List Of Top 10 Poorest States In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

When was the last time YOU visited the anambra thread?

Yes, Borno is also clean by your standard. Dirty Igbo people.
mehn, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. Abeg, free me

(1) (2) (Reply)

MASSOB Loyalists, Al-mustapha, Fasheun, Mrs. Ojukwu Other Storm Owerri / Indigenous People Of Biafra, IPOB Splits / What Happened Between Nnamdi Kanu And Rochas Okorocha Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.