Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,909 members, 7,821,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation (15709 Views)

No Foreign Medical Trips For Me -Buhari / Return Your Loot To Experience Peace – Buhari Tells Looters / Avoid Waste, Impunity, Buhari Tells Ministers-designate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by dre11(m): 9:10am On Nov 09, 2015
Perm Secs push for appointment of aides from civil service

President Muhammadu Buhari has restricted ministers’ foreign travels to “essential ones”.
Such travels must be “duty-related”, he told the cabinet members at their retreat, which ended at the weekend.
Buhari directed the ministers to adhere to the rule of law in their decisions and actions.
He cautioned against flamboyance in their conduct or spending.
But permanent secretaries are trying to prevail on the President to ensure that ministers appoint their Special Advisers and special assistants from Ministries, Departments and Agencies( MDAs).

Their argument is that the civil service has many untapped talents who can provide technical assistance for the new ministers.
Most ministers are said to be skeptical of the proposal by the Permanent Secretaries.
According to a document obtained by our correspondent, the President listed about 11 key things the ministers must abide with to fit into his cabinet.
Some of the dos and don’t are: Foreign travels must be duty-related; ministers must operate within lean resources; no more flamboyance; strict adherence to the rule of law; compliance to Civil Service Rules; living above board; cooperation with Permanent Secretaries; no more rancour between ministers and ministers of State; appointment of some aides should be from the civil service; drastic reduction of vehicles in convoys; and all decisions must lead to change.

A Presidency source said: “The ministers have been told to limit their foreign trips to only those that are duty-related, they must relate to their work. And all travels abroad must be approved by the President. No more travelling just for the sake of it.
“As you have heard on Friday, they are expected to reduce the vehicles in their convoys to a reasonable level to save cost.
“The ministers are to do things differently in view of the lean resources at their disposal. Flamboyance and extravagance by cabinet members are gone.

“The Ministers have been given copies of the Civil Service Rules and Regulations. The President wants compliance with the document. He also warned against conflict with Permanent Secretaries.
“On the relationship between ministers and ministers of state, some guidelines have also been provided with a caveat that the President will not tolerate any rift or rancour.”
Responding to a question, the source said President Buhari repeatedly directed the ministers to “adhere strictly to the Rule of Law because we are in a democracy.
“So, no more impunity or abuse of due process. Any infractions will be punished accordingly.

“Above all, decisions and actions by ministers must lead to change in the lives of Nigerians. This is the tallest benchmark the President reeled out to them.”
It was, however, gathered that most ministers were “not too comfortable” with a proposal by Permanent Secretaries that they should appoint their Special Advisers, Special Assistants and other key aides from the Ministries, Departments and Agencies.
The ministers said it will be dangerous to leave their fate to civil servants who are “naturally slow and do not believe in quick-win results.”
A highly-placed source said: “Ministers are suspicious of this proposal by the permanent secretaries who may use aides from the civil service to frustrate them or slow their pace.”

The argument of the permanent secretaries is that the civil service has many resourceful hands who can assist the ministers to settle down quickly. Most special advisers and assistants in the 70s, 80s and 90s were sourced from the civil service for ministers, according to them.
“Some ministers, including some former governors and ministers, detest the slow rate at which civil servants respond to assignments. They said civil servants cannot be the vehicles for achieving the desired change.

“This is no doubt the first challenge at hand for ministers. What the ministers will do eventually is to have a blend of aides from the civil service and outside for efficiency.”
A Minister-Designate, Dr. Chris Ngige, on Friday said: “We are going to block areas of leakage, retinue of aides and large convoys of cars are things that will not fly in this administration.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/no-foreign-jamborees-buhari-tells-ministers/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Mogidi: 9:17am On Nov 09, 2015
No foreign jamboree for noisemakers, let the dullard enjoy the foreign jamboree alone.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2534006_bac_jpegc61aa2b5c36e6eaed9536f13d8712e19

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by jordyspices: 9:25am On Nov 09, 2015
Cool story

1 Like

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Cybertext(m): 9:30am On Nov 09, 2015
... Baba time no dey o, Give the ministers portfolio and kick the ball rolling, this slow and steady nature of yours can be effective but we need efficiency.

2 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Islie: 9:36am On Nov 09, 2015
let's watch and see how feasible it is.....

all talk but few works
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Ballmer: 9:47am On Nov 09, 2015
Mogidi:
No foreign jamboree for noisemakers, let the dullard enjoy the foreign jamboree alone.

Please I beg of you do not die of hatred n anguish join Biafra now n leave Nigerians alone before you suffer cardiac arrest.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Baawaa(m): 9:53am On Nov 09, 2015
No more LAULAU grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Mogidi: 9:57am On Nov 09, 2015
[s]
Ballmer:

Please I beg of you do not die of hatred n anguish join Biafra now n leave Nigerians alone before you suffer cardiac arrest.
[/s]

I support Biafra agitation but as a south south man I would campaign for a south south country if true federalism fails.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by malton: 10:02am On Nov 09, 2015
Mogidi:

Has your stupidity any limits at all? You pass for a tout in all sense of the word!
I used to think that you were only being an opposition, little did I know you're suffering a terminal illness.

Boy, it's obvious that you have no reputation to preseve, but please, I take your moronic tendencies beg you, cure yourself of this ignominy before it sees to your fall from even the little grace on which you stand!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by efilefun(m): 10:03am On Nov 09, 2015
No cash to waste around, its time for work!!
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by efilefun(m): 10:04am On Nov 09, 2015
South South country? lol Una go import sote una go import drinking water self...lmao
Mogidi:
[s][/s]

I support Biafra agitation but as a south south man I would campaign for a south south country if true federalism fails.

9 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Mogidi: 10:07am On Nov 09, 2015
[s]
efilefun:
South South country? lol Una go import sote una go import drinking water self...lmao
[/s]

There would be enough money to import whatever we wanted, but Parasites would rely on food drops from the United nations relief program.

8 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by PRYCE(m): 10:13am On Nov 09, 2015
Ah Cobra telling Mamba not to hiss!

But you self how many jamborees you don go? How many successful world tours?

DICK_to the TATOR!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by efilefun(m): 10:21am On Nov 09, 2015
Keep deceiving yourself, your governors had been receiving huge sum of money from FG every month and your states are still not heaven, spewing gibberish like this same politicians wont be the one to continue ruling and milking you guys..i laugh in swahili..
Mogidi:
[s][/s]

There would be enough money to import whatever we wanted, but Parasites would rely on food drops from the United nations relief program.

12 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by harrysterol(m): 10:34am On Nov 09, 2015
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Sweetguy25: 10:34am On Nov 09, 2015
__
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by gurunlocker: 10:35am On Nov 09, 2015
minister of world tourism telling his ministers not to travel unnecessarily.

LA dictator

3 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by iamsodium(m): 10:35am On Nov 09, 2015
No time
D man clear dem once ni!!!
#moweneedslight

#TEAMNAIRALANDSCIENCE
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 09, 2015
Buhari is such a spoilsport!

He won't let people go on foreign trips .....haba, this is too much.

I think I do not like this Buhari....he is not letting us chop grin

3 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by tolexy007(m): 10:36am On Nov 09, 2015
angry grin
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 09, 2015
Gbam!
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by eleojo23: 10:36am On Nov 09, 2015
*peeps into thread*
I will not comment on this topic now.

Still taking a break from Nairaland.

*walks out of thread*

1 Like

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Mogidi: 10:36am On Nov 09, 2015
[s]
efilefun:
Keep deceiving yourself, your governors had been receiving huge sum of money from FG every month and your states are still not heaven, spewing gibberish like this same politicians wont be the one to continue ruling and milking you guys..i laugh in swahili..
[/s]

Coming from an imp who supports "uber" corrupt Thief..nubu.

1 Like

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 09, 2015
Sweetguy25:
Shut the fuc_k up! I'm sick and tired of this stupi_d president! Just get to work and stop with unnecessary admonishments over minister who we all know will waste our time at the end of the day.

Well, he has started working, by essentially putting in polices that would save money....cost cutting measures like the end to jamborees.....and by at least trying to prop up the Naira ....so that we do not have to take IMF loans and IMF mandated devaluations to do so.

As for projects....something tells me there won;t be any new projects....until we can get our treasury healthy again. And we should hope that if there are projects...they should be selectively restricted to power, education and mass transit.....so that we can get off oil...which is our major problem.

I am watching APC.

7 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by kennyman2000(m): 10:37am On Nov 09, 2015
Good!
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Burger01(m): 10:39am On Nov 09, 2015
Mogidi:

I don't know why you mostly don't make sense. undecided

8 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 09, 2015
BLACK FRIDAY DISCOUNT
Black Friday 2015 on JUMIA - 27 th of November Jumia has made it possible to enjoy the best of Black Friday deals online by bringing you products ranging from electronics, mobile phones, tablets, household items to fashion clothing and many more at discounted prices. Shop online at Jumia and discover exclusive offers, vouchers, special deals and more this Black Friday. It promises to be an amazing shopping experience for all. You get to purchase a product with up to 90% discount on JUMIA Black Friday sales. So get ready for this amazing shopping experience!!! It is definitely going to be mind blowing...
Call 4 your fastest online shopping experience. Faster delivery, Cash On + Doorstep Deliveries. 08136386580
If you miss out on this latest discounts on every products, you have yourself 2 blame.
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by JamesUka: 10:42am On Nov 09, 2015
Good one.
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by homirefacuny(m): 10:43am On Nov 09, 2015
If they follow all these principles.... PMB administration would favor the masses. BTW.... The guy above me has something to say.
Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by braine(m): 10:48am On Nov 09, 2015
Mogidi:

You no make sense.

6 Likes

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by speedyGonzales: 10:49am On Nov 09, 2015
what a hypocrite, travelling more than Buhari is a crime!!!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Foreign Jamborees, Buhari Tells Ministers: Nation by ogaofficer(m): 10:56am On Nov 09, 2015
We are watching. Pls save light

(1) (2) (Reply)

40 Aspirants For Governor In Ondo / 2019: Thugs Destroy Chima Anyaso's Posters, Billboards (photos) / Ondo: Agboola Ajayi Calls For Resignation Of David Oloyelogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.