Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,676 members, 7,865,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 01:12 AM

Christian Devotion Ban In Schools, Christians React - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christian Devotion Ban In Schools, Christians React (702 Views)

Teachers Absent As Borno Governor, Shettima, Takes Roll Call In Schools. PICS / Court Of Appeal: Okada Ban In Lagos State Stays / Cross River State Has Not Banned Devotion In Schools –SSG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Devotion Ban In Schools, Christians React by Ofodirinwa: 11:01pm On Nov 09, 2015
Christians kick against police ban on school devotion

LEKE BAIYEWU

Solomon Arase
TOP HEADLINES

The Christian Association of Nigeria has faulted the Police’s order suspending assembly devotion in primary and secondary schools nationwide

The association described the received the exercise as unacceptable.

The Police was said to have had an intelligence report that pupils might be targeted by insurgents during the exercise.

The Force Public Relations Officer, Olabisi Kolawole, had confirmed the security report on Thursday, saying the Police and other security agencies were working to thwart any threat to schools across the country.

She said, “I can confirm that morning devotion has been suspended in primary and secondary schools, following an intelligence report that such gatherings may be targeted by insurgents.

“We are working with other security agencies to frustrate any attack on schools and other public facilities; Nigerians should go about their business without any fear and they should also contact the nearest security agency if they have any useful information.”

Reacting to the development in an interview with SUNDAY PUNCH on Saturday, the General Secretary of CAN, Rev. Musa Asake, dismissed the report as having an ulterior motive.

He said, “We have already issued a press release. That is just as excuse and we don’t understand it. What threats are in the schools? If they are talking of public gathering, is the gathering only in schools? And how many schools have been bombed while they (the pupils) are holding assembly?

“Churches have been bombed; mosques have been bombed, we have never had such experience with schools. So, please, whoever that is coming with that law should tell us the truth. There is something behind it and we are not accepting it.”

Asake, who said CAN was unaware of the motive behind the order, said the association knew it was not normal.

“We have been living like this; children are enjoying worshipping their God, praying to God over the activities of the day, but someone just wakes up and says that (the stoppage) it is for security reason.

“We are all Nigerians living in this insecure situation. Again, I emphasise, we have never heard of bomb thrown to pupils on the assembly. Why are they (Police) beginning there? Let them begin at the right place. They know where the right place is.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs has said it is consulting before giving its official reaction.

The Secretary-General of the NSCIA, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, told our correspondent that even though he learnt that a governor in the South-West had punished the state’s commissioner of education for failing to enforce the ban, the council had yet to get all the facts on the development.

He said, “I have seen the report but the NSCIA does not just comment on any matter; we consult before comment. I have also not been able to confirm that the Federal Government gave that directive. I have called the ministry of education but I have not been able to get a confirmation.”

http://odili.net/news/source/2015/nov/8/810.html
Re: Christian Devotion Ban In Schools, Christians React by boboLIL(m): 11:19pm On Nov 09, 2015
No. Human can stop us to consult our God .....wo born them? Thunder fire dem dia
Re: Christian Devotion Ban In Schools, Christians React by temmypotter(m): 11:35pm On Nov 09, 2015
Makes no sense.. The one thing that should remain. Even if all other things are suspended. In the face of b's economy, insurgency, biafra rants and all of the hocus pocus in the country, talking to God is the one thing that keeps me sane.
Re: Christian Devotion Ban In Schools, Christians React by yanabasee(m): 9:40am On Nov 10, 2015
The Police are very stupiid...

Assuming the school decides to do away with devotion... Will the school also do away with the gathering of students to relay informations?

How stupiid? Why centred their hatred on devotion? Maybe, the police are virtually working with the muslims to stop Christians from becoming steadfast to its religion!

(1) (Reply)

Civil Version Of Nnamdi Kanu / Suswam, Five Other Ex-govs To Face Trial Over False Assets Declaration / Nigerian Scholar Solves 156-year-old Problem In Maths.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.