Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,827 members, 7,956,140 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:04 AM

Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday (4739 Views)

Poll: Do you think what they are doing is right?

No: 42% (8 votes)
Yes: 42% (8 votes)
I dont Care: 15% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Watch Christiane Amanpour Interview President Buhari On CNN (July 21) / Buhari To Be Interviewed By Christiane Amanpour On CNN Today 8pm / APC Now Advertising On MTN 100naira Recharge Cards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by Pataki: 10:26am On May 16, 2009
biina:

It seems you don't understand the fundamentals of banking. The major bulk of funds that banks play with is the depositors fund. A bank essentially takes deposit from A, promising returns of x%, and lends it to B, at y%, where x is less than y. The difference (y%-x%) is the banks profit. This is why depositors are listed as liabilities on the banks balance sheet, and borrowers are listed as assets. Depositors are like paid up shareholders, with their version of shares being more volatile depending on the length of commitment. The paid up capital is to limit the leverage of the banks so that they do not rely entirely on other peoples funds (hence being over exposed), and also gives them some in house liquidity to play with (like a buffer). Hence one can see paid up capital as the baseline depositor. Those adverts are paid for with mainly depositor funds.

One should not get lost in the theory of marketing, and lose grasp of the reality of the market. Like I said above, the bank deals with two set of people: depositors and borrowers. The CNN adverts will not draw depositors, as the branch network of the banks is too limited to attract such, the deposits are insured in Nigeria, and anyways the banks have enough funds at their disposal. So we come to the borrowers: who will borrow from a Nigerian bank on the account of a CNN advert? Only Nigerians. The banks are not yet in a position to compete effectively in the global market. Thus do not be surprised if those adverts have yielded no ROI.

One might wonder how a bank survives if it does not get businesses. The answer is that it not too difficult to run a bank on a ponzi/pyramid scheme. Aggressively seeking depositors  enables you to rob peter to pay paul, while waiting for john to fall victim. The aggressive pursuit of depositor by Nigerian banks, as opposed to pursuit of borrowers, is evidence of an underlying unprofitability. Add the lax supervision by the CBN, and you could have an insolvent bank declaring profit.

While one would expect sanity to prevail on the board of any establishment, it is unfortunately otherwise in Nigeria. The board of a bank, and in fact most major companies in Nigeria, are often the culprits of the felony committed against the interests of the shareholders and the company. It is not uncommon for the board to make decisions that would enrich the pockets of the directors in the short term at the expense of the long term health of the bank. The poor corporate governance in the financial sector is evident by the large amount of contracts awarded to entities owned by the directors, and the plethora of personal loans to executives, that are written off as bad debts due to non-payment. To worsen matters, when the bulk of shares of the bank is owned by an individual (directly or through proxies like his wife), the board degenerates to a corporate AFRC where said individual's word is law.

Any interest that might have been generated by the ad, and failed to be translated into a borrower is of no value to the business, and is even worse as you have likely generated business for your compettitor.
Succinctly stated! Impressive.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by yicob(m): 10:28am On May 16, 2009
I understand You Biina. But how many times were you denied of withdrawing your funds at the bank ? What the Heck if they can always give me ma moni when i need it !
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by MrCrackles(m): 10:34am On May 16, 2009
yicob:

I understand You Biina. But how many times were you denied of withdrawing your funds at the bank ? What the Heck if they can always give me ma moni when i need it !

You have lost it here YICOB! grin
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by MrCrackles(m): 10:36am On May 16, 2009
strangleyo:

Please don't complain about that.

Banks are private enterprises and they can do what they want with their money. Don't blame the bank's advertising for Nigeria's woes.

No they cant do anything they want with the money because a large chunk belongs to the investors and customers.

Without the investors and customers cash, banks wont have a name to any assets or cash!
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by yicob(m): 10:46am On May 16, 2009
Brash,
The only sufferers in the mismanagement are the innocent shareholders who are expecting huge dividend at the year end. As a depositor, Let them do whatever with my money so far i can withdraw when i want, interest or no interest.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by MrCrackles(m): 10:53am On May 16, 2009
yicob:

Brash,
The only sufferers in the mismanagement are the innocent shareholders who are expecting huge dividend at the year end. As a depositor, Let them do whatever with my money so far i can withdraw when i want, interest or no interest.

Hehe!

But personally i wont be happy investing without getting dividends especially when the risks and frivolities can be better managed! cheesy
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by yicob(m): 11:04am On May 16, 2009
Agreed ! Am only defending the huge amount they spend on advert.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by SamMilla1(m): 11:10am On May 16, 2009
Yicob, You dont have to be nailing yourself here. For the fact that you can withdraw your money whenever you want doesnt give the banks the right to do whatever they want. It only shows masive ignorance on your side. The same applies to our Dear Federal Govt and thats why we are all crying today.You dont shut up all your life because the govt provided roads for you.
You constantly remind them that they are doing business with the taxpayers' money.
We need to be more educated here because i think some people believe that education ends with Equations and algebra
You are ignorant because you deposit a small amount of money to the bank which can be given back to you whenever you want. Some firms deposit billions there and they dont get cash whenver they want it.

, And dont ask me how much of my money i spend on the masses because you will be surprised

Binna analyzed the situation comprehensively up there and i give him 9/10 for that.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by yicob(m): 11:21am On May 16, 2009
How do we stop them from being dodgy?
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by SamMilla1(m): 11:54am On May 16, 2009
I believe that discussing it here is a nice start. We must not expect to make things right instantly especially since they have been doing this for long.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by nolongTing: 12:33pm On May 16, 2009
binna:

It seems you don't understand the fundamentals of banking. The major bulk of funds that banks play with is the depositors fund. A bank essentially takes deposit from A, promising returns of x%, and lends it to B, at y%, where x is less than y. The difference (y%-x%) is the banks profit. This is why depositors are listed as liabilities on the banks balance sheet, and borrowers are listed as assets. Depositors are like paid up shareholders, with their version of shares being more volatile depending on the length of commitment. The paid up capital is to limit the leverage of the banks so that they do not rely entirely on other peoples funds (hence being over exposed), and also gives them some in house liquidity to play with (like a buffer). Hence one can see paid up capital as the baseline depositor. Those adverts are paid for with mainly depositor funds.

One should not get lost in the theory of marketing, and lose grasp of the reality of the market. Like I said above, the bank deals with two set of people: depositors and borrowers. The CNN adverts will not draw depositors, as the branch network of the banks is too limited to attract such, the deposits are insured in Nigeria, and anyways the banks have enough funds at their disposal. So we come to the borrowers: who will borrow from a Nigerian bank on the account of a CNN advert? Only Nigerians. The banks are not yet in a position to compete effectively in the global market. Thus do not be surprised if those adverts have yielded no ROI.

One might wonder how a bank survives if it does not get businesses. The answer is that it not too difficult to run a bank on a ponzi/pyramid scheme. Aggressively seeking depositors  enables you to rob peter to pay paul, while waiting for john to fall victim. The aggressive pursuit of depositor by Nigerian banks, as opposed to pursuit of borrowers, is evidence of an underlying unprofitability. Add the lax supervision by the CBN, and you could have an insolvent bank declaring profit.

While one would expect sanity to prevail on the board of any establishment, it is unfortunately otherwise in Nigeria. The board of a bank, and in fact most major companies in Nigeria, are often the culprits of the felony committed against the interests of the shareholders and the company. It is not uncommon for the board to make decisions that would enrich the pockets of the directors in the short term at the expense of the long term health of the bank. The poor corporate governance in the financial sector is evident by the large amount of contracts awarded to entities owned by the directors, and the plethora of personal loans to executives, that are written off as bad debts due to non-payment. To worsen matters, when the bulk of shares of the bank is owned by an individual (directly or through proxies like his wife), the board degenerates to a corporate AFRC where said individual's word is law.

Any interest that might have been generated by the ad, and failed to be translated into a borrower is of no value to the business, and is even worse as you have likely generated business for your compettitor.

Thats a good analysis, its pretty much impossible to compete with banks in the west they manage Trillions; however seeing those ads in the UK made me proud and very likely to open an account with them.  So, I guess that the primary target of their ads are Nigerians in the diaspora.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by AjanleKoko: 12:59pm On May 16, 2009
biina:

One might wonder how a bank survives if it does not get businesses. The answer is that it not too difficult to run a bank on a ponzi/pyramid scheme. Aggressively seeking depositors enables you to rob peter to pay paul, while waiting for john to fall victim. The aggressive pursuit of depositor by Nigerian banks, as opposed to pursuit of borrowers, is evidence of an underlying unprofitability. Add the lax supervision by the CBN, and you could have an insolvent bank declaring profit.

Hmmm. In theory yes, your analysis is spot-on. But there are a couple of things that make this case interesting.

1. Nigerian companies don't measure marketing ROI per se. It's more of an elementary budgeting exercise, i.e. if I have a projected turnover of say, 150bn naira, I need a marketing budget of N5bn to achieve it. that would be something around $30m in the current forex situation. If I decide that I will spend say $1m of that budget on foreign media exposure, at the end of the day it wouldn't matter, if I can achieve the target turnover and profit. The marketing guys are free to allocate that spend as they like, so they can get away with it.

2. Have you ever thought about how it all started? IMO the exposure seems to be working for them, at least it did before the global meltdown, and it probably still is. Post-consolidation, the banks went on a mega-drive for funds deposit, and they seemed to be largely successful. It was one serial IPO after another, and you had banks declaring capitalization in the trillions. The perceived returns from the stock market got the attention of foreign banks who shocking scrambled over each other to join the party. Not Nigerians in the diaspora, foreign financial institutions. Some of these guys were even doing tenured deposits, what we call 'fixing' in Nigeria, cos of the attractive rates Nigerian banks were offering. At a point Morgan Stanley rated the Nigerian economy the best in ROI, to the shock of most of us. See what's happening today, the Fitch AA- ratings have been revised downwards to BB-, and our market went from being rated best performing to worst performing.

In my opinion, the whole thing is just about the hype called Nigerian banking, which has even been fuelled by some of these global institutions in recent times. There is just something about the financial industry and greed, they seem to work hand-in-hand.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by Kobojunkie: 3:52pm On May 16, 2009
nolongTing:

Thats a good analysis, its pretty much impossible to compete with banks in the west they manage Trillions; however seeing those ads in the UK made me proud and very likely to open an account with them. So, I guess that the primary target of their ads are Nigerians in the diaspora.

Well, How many other Nigerians have seen those ads and have actually opened up accounts with these banks? Any clue?
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by toshacer: 4:04pm On May 16, 2009
the same stupid, unreasonable and meaningless people contributing on a very un necessary and uncalled for posting, what on earth is your own about where they chose to advertise. This is the problem of the black man, preferring to bury his head to the tiny corner of the world where he belongs and when things passes him globally, he starts complaining it is because of his colour.

How many of you have sought loans from these banks and have been denied? What is your problem with the way they spend their money? Nigerians dont cease to amaze me.

Nigerians in the diaspora, so antagonistic, so dull in thinking.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by toshacer: 4:07pm On May 16, 2009
Sam Milla:

I believe that discussing it here is a nice start. We must not expect to make things right instantly especially since they have been doing this for long.

You mus think about postings here too seriously. So you think a bank will stop what they do because of what is discussed merely on a forum? How do you think?
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by toshacer: 4:16pm On May 16, 2009
With these kind of people representing the way an average Nigeria thinks, I dont see a future for Nigeria, bleak and sad, that is what i see here. Othe countries advertise on CNN, SKy etc, Malaysia is always on SKY, Qatar is always on SKY, but when anything Nigeria comes internationally, the same people who says nothing works in Nigeria stand up to nail it down as meaningless, what kind of people are these?
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by strangleyo: 4:22pm On May 16, 2009
biina:

Not entirely true, as those funds include money from depositors, a group they have a responsibility to.

If the depositors are unhappy with the way the banks are operating, they should take their money elsewhere.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 16, 2009
All the banks have done is to advertise on DSTV or what have you. Cable/satellite operators sell "ad/commercial" space.
Their audience is africa. What better way than to advertise on DSTV. If they show the commercials in America, then only can you make so much noise about this.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by toshacer: 4:27pm On May 16, 2009
A-town:

All the banks have done is to advertise on DSTV or what have you. Cable/satellite operators sell "ad/commercial" space.
Their audience is africa. What better way than to advertise on DSTV. If they show the commercials in America, then only can you make so much noise about this.

Looks like you dont know what Nigerians are?
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by yicob(m): 4:38pm On May 16, 2009
Nuff said !
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by biina: 4:51pm On May 16, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Hmmm. In theory yes, your analysis is spot-on. But there are a couple of things that make this case interesting.

1. Nigerian companies don't measure marketing ROI per se. It's more of an elementary budgeting exercise, i.e. if I have a projected turnover of say, 150bn naira, I need  a marketing budget of N5bn to achieve it. that would be something around $30m in the current forex situation. If I decide that I will spend say $1m of that budget on foreign media exposure, at the end of the day it wouldn't matter, if I can achieve the target turnover and profit. The marketing guys are free to allocate that spend as they like, so they can get away with it.
What happens if you fail to meet the projected turnover? do you proceed to spend the same amount on marketing the following year?Marketing being an inexact science makes it difficult to associate specific ROI with specific marketing campaigns.
Yet, I am not trying to find the rational under which the said campaign is being funded, but only to postulate that it is very likely not on the basis of attracting borrowers or improving the balance sheet. The little it can achieve is to attract depositors (liabilities).

2. Have you ever thought about how it all started? IMO the exposure seems to be working for them, at least it did before the global meltdown, and it probably still is. Post-consolidation, the banks went on a mega-drive for funds deposit, and they seemed to be largely successful. It was one serial IPO after another, and you had banks declaring capitalization in the trillions. The perceived returns from the stock market got the attention of foreign banks who shocking scrambled over each other to join the party. Not Nigerians in the diaspora, foreign financial institutions. Some of these guys were even doing tenured deposits, what we call 'fixing' in Nigeria, cos of the attractive rates Nigerian banks were offering. At a point Morgan Stanley rated the Nigerian economy the best in ROI, to the shock of most of us. See what's happening today, the Fitch AA- ratings have been revised downwards to BB-, and our market went from being rated best performing to worst performing.

In my opinion, the whole thing is just about the hype called Nigerian banking, which has even been fuelled by some of these global institutions in recent times. There is just something about the financial industry and greed, they seem to work hand-in-hand.
Like I said earlier, aggressive drive for deposits is usually reflective of poor profit margins. Depositors are liabilities to a bank and the bank should only take up as much as needed for effective business. A good example were the financial discount houses of time past, who took deposits promising attractive returns, but never lent at a commensurate rate. It all turned out to be a ponzi scheme, in which new deposits were used to fulfill the obligations to the old, with the last depositors being taken for fools.

All we have is evidence of people depositing and/or investing in the bank, there is none indicative of them actually turning over the funds (except you include dodgy transactions like the forex round tripping). Nigerians might have to face another round of distressed banks soon enough.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by yicob(m): 5:05pm On May 16, 2009
I don't just get it, does it mean other industrial sectors advertising on CNN stole money from somewhere ? All what we are saying about this bank are mere conjectures. Stallion Motors spend over N2 Billion yearly to advertise in Nigeria. How many Nigerians can afford chasis ? They dont target much of individuals but corporate bodies. Same thing with banks. They know their target.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by biina: 5:09pm On May 16, 2009
tosh_acer:

the same stupid, unreasonable and meaningless people contributing on a very un necessary and uncalled for posting, what on earth is your own about where they chose to advertise. This is the problem of the black man, preferring to bury his head to the tiny corner of the world where he belongs and when things passes him globally, he starts complaining it is because of his colour.

How many of you have sought loans from these banks and have been denied? What is your problem with the way they spend their money? Nigerians don't cease to amaze me.

Nigerians in the diaspora, so antagonistic, so dull in thinking.
That your primary response is ad hominem makes your initial statement ironic.
The inability to relate to a discussion on issues that do not directly involve you in the short term is often tersely referred as being self centered. This is what is truly the bane of the Nigerian economy and polity.
The health of the banking sector should be a concern for all. A failure of the banks will harm the Nigerian economy and might neccesitate public fund being invested into the sector.

tosh_acer:

You mus think about postings here too seriously. So you think a bank will stop what they do because of what is discussed merely on a forum? How do you think?
and you deem an intellectual discourse quite trivial? While the actions of the banks may (or may not) be influenced by this discourse ( as you little info on those involved in the discussion let alone those that read it), enough cannot be said of the education of oneself or others.

tosh_acer:

With these kind of people representing the way an average Nigeria thinks, I dont see a future for Nigeria, bleak and sad, that is what i see here. Othe countries advertise on CNN, SKy etc, Malaysia is always on SKY, Qatar is always on SKY, but when anything Nigeria comes internationally, the same people who says nothing works in Nigeria stand up to nail it down as meaningless, what kind of people are these?
Again with the ad hominem comments. If you find the exchange so displeasing, I would rather you stay out of the thread, after all it would be sad for us to debase your higher intellect.
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by biina: 5:15pm On May 16, 2009
strangleyo:

If the depositors are unhappy with the way the banks are operating, they should take their money elsewhere.
That is a valid argument in a free market environment, hence not applicable as the Nigerian banking sector is regulated, with depositors having limited choices.
Also the average depositor is less informed and often does not see the hand writings on the wall until the palace is torn down. How many depositors review the annual report of their banks?
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by biina: 5:23pm On May 16, 2009
yicob:

I don't just get it, does it mean other industrial sectors advertising on CNN stole money from somewhere ? All what we are saying about this bank are mere conjectures. Stallion Motors spend over N2 Billion yearly to advertise in Nigeria. How many Nigerians can afford chasis ? They dont target much of individuals but corporate bodies. Same thing with banks. They know their target.
The question is not about advertising on CNN per se, but rather the fundamental issue of if the banks are spending depositors funds oin an expensive and likely unprofitable ad campaign.
Nobody is denying the relevance of marketing in business, but rather trying to weigh the costs and benefits of the said ads. (While being an extreme example) wouldn't you question the sense in a local rice seller in lokoja, advertising in new york?
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On May 16, 2009
A-town:

DSTV? The Ads are on CNN international as well as BBC America( If I am not mistaken).
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by MrCrackles(m): 6:31pm On May 16, 2009
biina:

Also the average depositor is less informed and often does not see the hand writings on the wall until the palace is torn down. How many depositors review the annual report of their banks?

Absolutely right!

They dont know what is going on and the banks are not transparent anyway

Annual reports are doctored here and there, so the few ones that review it are led astray!
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by strangleyo: 6:47pm On May 16, 2009
biina:

That is a valid argument in a free market environment, hence not applicable as the Nigerian banking sector is regulated, with depositors having limited choices.

How many depositors of CityBank, RBC, Bank of Montreal, Barclays Bank, HSBC and Northern Rock reviewed the bank's annual statement before they deposited their money into their accounts?
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by MrCrackles(m): 6:52pm On May 16, 2009
strangleyo:

How many depositors of CityBank, RBC, Bank of Montreal, Barclays Bank, HSBC and Northern Rock reviewed the bank's annual statement before they deposited their money into their accounts?

Definitely more than depositors in Nigerian banks!

The major depositors in Nigerian banks are most likely to be corrupt elements and criminals E.g. Charles Taylor-Zenith Bank! grin

And besides most of the customers of the banks you mentioned above trust thier banks anyway, correspondence is good and they are well informed!
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by biina: 7:07pm On May 16, 2009
strangleyo:

expect it to be higher than the their Nigerian counterparts, as their level of literacy and enlightenment is much higher.

But even if I concede the fraction to be same in both cases, the relevant follow up question would be: How many of said banks advertise on the NTA network? undecided

One cannot make arbitrary comparisons without seeking to first place the issues in a common context
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by yicob(m): 7:21pm On May 16, 2009
Everything comes back to bad governance. If the country is void of frivolities, then we can blame the banks for doctoring their reports. Unfortunately, the banking sector is not the pinnacle of such deceits. Do you guys remember Bunmi Oni and Cadbury, the recent Dangote, Otedola cum AP shares saga ?
If the banking sector is to be effectively sanitized, our politicians should first face the music as regards corruption and money laundering. Naija is presently a state where anything goes and If you cant beat them, . . . . . ,   . .
Re: Nigeian Banks Advertising On Cnn Everywhere And Everyday by oderemo(m): 7:29pm On May 16, 2009
Naija is presently a state where anything goes and If you cant beat them, .

this is the scenario all over the world but the point is there are system in place to apprehend,prosecute culprits, but in nija corrupt officials are paraded for fun , nothing happens. nothing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Frank Nweke Jr. Has Failed / Jonathan Pledges To Improve Nigeria’s Security Capabilities / Can Nigerians Pay The PRICE Of A New GOVT ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.