Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,312 members, 7,846,383 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

It's Fela's Birthday! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / It's Fela's Birthday! (1272 Views)

Fela's Bedroom Preserved Exactly How It Was Before His Death (Photo) / Fela's American Girlfriend, Sandra Izsadore Arrives Nigeria For Felabration 2015 / Fela’s Dancer, Dodo Mayana, Dies In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

It's Fela's Birthday! by Sista(f): 1:47am On Oct 15, 2006
Fela Ransome/Anikulapo Kuti

Born October 15, 1938 in Abeokuta, Nigeria.

Died August 2, 1997 

[size=15pt]This is a Tribute to Fela![/size]

Today is your Birthday Fela! and today we take out some time to acknowledge you. African people never forget the ancestors who have passed on into the spiritual realm.

I know there are a lot of people out there who love Fela as much as I do. What I love about Fela is, he gave me inspiration that black people all over the world will unite. I never knew a black man born in Africa who even cared about the Africans that were taken from Africa. Of course, I always felt that Africans in Africa thought about me and other black people who were taken as slaves but Fela, an African man, he confirmed through his music that we Africans in America, as well as all descendants of african slaves were never forgotten. Fela was at the same time admitting that we are acknowledged as brothers and sisters, who share the same ancestors as Africans on the continent of Africa.

[size=15pt]Fela, I want you to know that I never forgot about you and the rest of my brothers and sisters in Africa either.[/size]

It was while in the USA, Los Angelos California that you hooked up with a friend, Sandra Isidore, who introduced you to the writings and politics of Malcolm X, Eldridge Cleaver (and by extension the Black Panthers), and other proponents of Black nationalism and Afrocentrism. Impressed at what you read, you became politically revivified and decided that some changes were in order: first, the name of the band, as Koola Lobitos became Nigeria 70; second, the music would become more politically explicit and critical of the oppression of the powerless worldwide. I am so glad that you hooked up and became friends with Sandra, an African American sister. I am also happy that you were impressed with how she showed you that African Americans don't play when it comes to their human rights. Your visit to America and the time you spent with the African American brothers and sisters you got to know, inspired you to do this song with an African American Brother named Roy Ayers. In this song, Roy plays the vibes and African instrument most referred to as the xylophone. Together you and Roy showed the beauty Africans all over the world could create if we get together and share our goods despite of all the pain we have expereinced at the hands of whitey.

Many people don't know that when you went to school in Europe to study music, that you studied African American Jazz. I think you were attracted to your extended roots of African American Jazz and that is why you came to America. I think that is why your music is so original because you fused African music with the extended roots of African American roots of Jazz music. One extreme African experience fused with another extreme African experience. Wow Fela! that is some serious stuff, nothing to be palyed with! 

You and Roy created a song Called "Centre Of The World Africa" This song is my best song in the whole wide world. It helps me to travel home to Africa in my mind. I picture all black people laughing, smiling, loving each other, not needing any outsiders to help us eat and keep a decent roof over our heads. Nor do we need them to handle our affairs. In my vision, I see you singing and everyone dancing. In my vision I am so happy, thank you Fela because in my vision, now, no African cares to, or wants to be like whitey, we just want to be us, Gods children. I would like for people to feel what I feel about the song you and Roy did.

Fela, I want to thank you for writing this song is. I like the way you include all Africans and you show whitey for who he is. Also, I like the beauty that you Fela and Roy were able to create. African born in Africa and African born in America unite this song and it sounds beautiful

Let's hear Fela sing and let's here Roy play them vibes.

For those of you who want to share in this song, click on the link and then click the song

"Centre Of The World, Africa" Listen to the vibes (xylophone) and listen to Fela's words.

It's a long song but it is beautiful and worth every long minute.

http://www.mp3.com/albums/489342/summary.html

Click on the preview button of "Center of the world"

Re: It's Fela's Birthday! by jaybaby(f): 4:04pm On Oct 15, 2006
hAPPY BIRTHDAY ABAMI EDA grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think Bow Wow Liked Ciara Or Was He Playing / The Forgotten Celebrity / Akon Vs D Banj

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.