Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss (1536 Views)

Igbos Abandoned Philip Effiong Who Died A Biafra Rebel, Ojukwu Rewarded - Ekefre / Okoi Obono-Obla: "Biafra Referendum Legally & Politically Impossible" / Port Harcourt, Bonny Ports At Stake If Igbos Choose Biafra Referendum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Chylo(m): 8:56am On Nov 11, 2015
To start with, I'm an igbo man from Anambra (my position on biafra is not important).
I have observed the recent protests, but I do not think these protests would actually help in making biafra a reality in a democratic setting.

I propose a referendum. How you may ask? because referendums are not in any part of our constitution and are thus illegal. My proposal is for the Biafra movement to form a political party (could be called anything). This party would then seek for elections in all the regions of the proposed biafra (i.e SE and SS).

This would give the people the opportunity to have Biafra members as state house of representatives, Governors, commissioners, Senators (3 from each state), house of rep members etc. All of these people belonging to the pro-biafra movement and speaking with one voice. In this way, they can begin a push for national dialogue or constitutional amendment. And at the very least, begin to implement the El-Dorado or Utopia concept of the unity and development of Ndi-Igbo.

This would of course happen if they win. If the pro-biafra movement candidates do not win, then it should be taken that the majority of our people are not in support. So all this "evangelism" could be turned to political rallies in support of the biafra party candidates in election season to try to persuade our people to vote pro-biafra candidates through out.

In this way, this could be a kind of pseudo-referendum, because if the candidates of the party clear the polls, then it could be taken that there is popular support. It is also possible they win in SE but not in SS, this would also show where the loyalty of those people lie. But imagine if all the current governors and senators were produced right from the biafra movement. There wouldn't be as much police and political harassment and if things get too bad, all the governor's could come together, appoint a leader amongst them and secede.

This is just an idea and I would like robust discussion as to the likely pros and cons of such an approach. Thanks.

cc eurobomber, ngeneukwenu, tonyebarcanista, udmaster, frankaba1, omenka, egift, mynd44, cr77, beremx, lalasticlala, seun

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by egift(m): 9:15am On Nov 11, 2015
Nothing to discuss. Anyone tire of Nigeria, can pack their luggage and leave. But any miscreant attempting to divide Nigeria will be dealt with excessive force. I dare IPOB touts to pick up arms and see armored tanks, arrests, troops, state of emergency, martial law, bombs, vandalism, destruction and business grounded in all affected communities. I dare them.

Those who know the cost, sacrifices and tragedy of war will go home and mind their business. While toddlers who have not seen anarchy will be here beating up their noisy feeble cheats.

As a patriotic Nigerian the Unity, Peace and Progress will be defended with everything imaginable.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Chylo(m): 9:28am On Nov 11, 2015
egift:
Nothing to discuss. Anyone tire of Nigeria, can pack their luggage and leave. But any miscreant attempting to divide Nigeria will be dealt with excessive force. I dare IPOB touts to pick up arms and see armored tanks, arrests, troops, state of emergency, martial law, bombs, vandalism, destruction and business grounded in all affected communities. I dare them.

Those who know the cost, sacrifices and tragedy of war will go home and mind their business. While toddlers who have not seen anarchy will be here beating up their noisy feeble cheats.

As a patriotic Nigerian the Unity, Peace and Progress will be defended with everything imaginable.

But the question is how would they leave though, since taking arms is out of the question?

2 Likes

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by egift(m): 9:38am On Nov 11, 2015
Chylo:

But the question is how would they leave though, since taking arms is out of the question?

Bros there is something called Visa. Am sure you know it. Choose a destination, apply for Visa and leave. 90% of the problem of those protesters is poverty - they can't afford a visa and pay for flight. grin grin grin grin
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Chylo(m): 9:58am On Nov 11, 2015
Ok, I thought you meant they can leave as in secede. I don't think it realistic for all agitators to flee their homeland na.
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by egift(m): 10:08am On Nov 11, 2015
Chylo:
Ok, I thought you meant they can leave as in secede. I don't think it realistic for all agitators to flee their homeland na.

@Bold:
So why ask other Igbos who do not support to flee their homeland because some miscreants got brainwashed on Radio?
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by naijapips02: 10:16am On Nov 11, 2015
Chylo:
To start with, I'm an igbo man from Anambra (my position on biafra is not important).
I have observed the recent protests, but I do not think these protests would actually help in making biafra a reality in a democratic setting.

I propose a referendum. How you may ask? because referendums are not in any part of our constitution and are thus illegal. My proposal is for the Biafra movement to form a political party (could be called anything). This party would then seek for elections in all the regions of the proposed biafra (i.e SE and SS).

This would give the people the opportunity to have Biafra members as state house of representatives, Governors, commissioners, Senators (3 from each state), house of rep members etc. All of these people belonging to the pro-biafra movement and speaking with one voice. In this way, they can begin a push for national dialogue or constitutional amendment. And at the very least, begin to implement the El-Dorado or Utopia concept of the unity and development of Ndi-Igbo.

This would of course happen if they win. If the pro-biafra movement candidates do not win, then it should be taken that the majority of our people are not in support. So all this "evangelism" could be turned to political rallies in support of the biafra party candidates in election season to try to persuade our people to vote pro-biafra candidates through out.

In this way, this could be a kind of pseudo-referendum, because if the candidates of the party clear the polls, then it could be taken that there is popular support. It is also possible they win in SE but not in SS, this would also show where the loyalty of those people lie. But imagine if all the current governors and senators were produced right from the biafra movement. There wouldn't be as much police and political harassment and if things get too bad, all the governor's could come together, appoint a leader amongst them and secede.

This is just an idea and I would like robust discussion as to the likely pros and cons of such an approach. Thanks.

cc eurobomber, ngeneukwenu, tonyebarcanista, udmaster, frankaba1, omenka, egift, mynd44, cr77, beremx, lalasticlala, seun

k
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Nobody: 10:27am On Nov 11, 2015
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by abe4kom: 10:35am On Nov 11, 2015
[s]
egift:

[/s]

Rubbish!

3 Likes

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by naijapips02: 10:41am On Nov 11, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Then prepare to die because you will not get any Biafra.

oluku, so you did not see the question mark? or you don't understand sarcasm. which one?
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Chylo(m): 10:45am On Nov 11, 2015
naijapips02:

sorry to burst your bubble. Our people do not reason logically.

Biafra or Death?

But what about the idea of a political party? Can it work?
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by naijapips02: 10:48am On Nov 11, 2015
Chylo:

Very essential. See, if we are to have biafra, lots of planning would have to go into it. And not some people waking up one night to start screaming Biafra.

1 Like

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 11, 2015
All this talk about Biafra has dragged the progress made by the igbos in healing the wounds of the past back another 100years. The people of Nigeria will find it hard entrusting the commonwealth of this nation to them. its a pity.

Let the more sensible Igbos team up with the Yoruba and let's fight together for true federalism which is more feasible.
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Kestolovee95(f): 11:23am On Nov 11, 2015
Some people think their opinion on Biafra matters. They want to serving the fulani forever. Thank God, they'll park to funtua to meet their real fathers when Biafra comes as Father Mbaka prophesied. grin
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Scout60(m): 11:42am On Nov 11, 2015
egift:

at the mention this brat piss on his trouser.
are u afraid of Biafra or do u love biafra.. ..

do u see any hope of Nigeria developing in next 50yrs. its beta I suffer in and die for Biafra than to die for stupid Nigeria who does not care for her citizen.smh.its beta to have a divided peaceful Nigeria than having a united sick nation......

1 Like

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by rhymaster: 11:51am On Nov 11, 2015
naijapips02:

sorry to burst your bubble. Our people do not reason logically.

Biafra or Death?

They can choose to commit suicide, it is their choice. Most successful iboz do not care for Biafra anyway but the lazy failures which is a damn shame! After 3 M ibos committed suicide by ojukwu, has that changed Nigeria since?
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by kingzizzy: 11:54am On Nov 11, 2015
Chylo:

What you suggested here would have been practical if Nigeria was a civilised country with a free and fair electoral system. But unfortunately that is not the case. Scotland wanted a referendum and voted in secessionist party. Catalonia wanted a referendum and voted in sessionist party. Biafrans want a referendum but cannot vote in a party with a manifesto to do this because the Nigerian election is a competition in rigging. A good idea but Nigeria is still many years away from being that civilised.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by kingzizzy: 12:00pm On Nov 11, 2015
egift:

We are talking referendum here, you are talking war

We talking about the sacrosanctity of the rights of indigenous African people to choose their destiny, you are talking about preserving the colonial creation of the White man called Nigeria.

We are talking freedom, you are talking slavery

No wonder Nigeria never moves foward, the level of backward thinking and reasoning is just too incredible
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Lordave: 12:05pm On Nov 11, 2015
naijapips02:

oluku, so you did not see the question mark? or you don't understand sarcasm. which one?
EUROBOMBER:

Then prepare to die because you will not get any Biafra.
Ndi iberibe abuo.
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Super1Star: 12:15pm On Nov 11, 2015
Chylo:

i doff my heart for your thinking.

AT last, you are beginning to see what we have all been emphasising.

1 Like

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
Kestolovee95:
[s]Some people think their opinion on Biafra matters. They want to serving the fulani forever. Thank God, they'll park to funtua to meet their real fathers when Biafra comes as Father Mbaka prophesied. grin[/s]

You crooks went and edited what Mbaka said about four years ago, lol.

Give it up already man, kanu has failed.
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
Chylo:

The political party is a good idea. It should be formed in the mould of the Scottish National Party. Let the IPOB add this up as another alternative to achieving their agenda. Even though the current tactics is still on ground.

1 Like

Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Chylo(m): 1:25pm On Nov 11, 2015
Chiwude:
The political party is a good idea. It should be formed in the mould of the Scottish National Party. Let the IPOB add this up as another alternative to achieving their agenda. Even though the current tactics is still on ground.

If such a party does come up though, I won't be surprised if they fail to win anything, similar to our experience with APGA. The ACN became power brokers just because of their unity.
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 11, 2015
naijapips02:

Oh my bad, sorry I will edit my post please edit yours.
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Curlieweed: 3:17pm On Nov 11, 2015
Ioannes:
All this talk about Biafra has dragged the progress made by the igbos in healing the wounds of the past back another 100years. The people of Nigeria will find it hard entrusting the commonwealth of this nation to them. its a pity.

Let the more sensible Igbos team up with the Yoruba and let's fight together for true federalism which is more feasible.

Joe (Hutukwe) Igbokwe is doing that already. How many "sensible" bastards do you think we can spare?
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Kestolovee95(f): 3:26pm On Nov 11, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

You crooks went and edited what Mbaka said about four years ago, lol.

Give it up already man, kanu has failed.

you are not just a crook, you are a confused dingbat. You are neither here nor there. Step aside pls.
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2015
Kestolovee95:

you are not just a crook, you are a confused dingbat. You are neither here nor there. Step aside pls.

I am pro- Nigeria, get that right.

I only react when people try to twist fact and that does not mean that I support this Biafra agitation.
Re: An Idea For A Biafra Referendum - Lets Discuss by Chylo(m): 7:36am On Nov 12, 2015
Curlieweed:

Joe (Hutukwe) Igbokwe is doing that already. How many "sensible" bastards do you think we can spare?

Why do you call him a "sensible" bastard? Do you think he is doing the wrong thing? or do you want Ndi-Igbo to associate with fellow Igbo people only?

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Sacks Justice Akanbi For Collecting N100m From Governor Wike / Amaechi Sold Rivers’ Asset To Fund APC, Buhari – Tonye Princewill / Cbn Illegal Hiring (hillarious Cartoon)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.