Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal (27902 Views)

Ussd Codes For Nigerian Banks / CBN Bars Banks With Huge Bad Loans From Paying Dividends / Four Nigerian Banks Among World’s Top 500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Adesiji77: 4:09pm On Nov 11, 2015
Popular online taxi-hailing service Uber is said to have agreed a 200 million rand ($14 million) deal with South African vehicle finance provider WesBank to rent cars to drivers who can’t afford to buy them, according to reports from Reuters. According to Reuters;

WesBank, which is an arm of a leading SA bank, FirstRand, will rent cars to Uber drivers who do not qualify for traditional car loans due to a lack of credit history.

WesBank will recoup the loan from the fares Uber drivers collect from passengers, lowering default risk, de Kock said. The amount drivers repay will depend on the level of business they are doing.

This deal holds significant implications for Nigeria considering its status as the largest economy in Nigeria and a market that Uber takes quite seriously. Uber is still fairly new in Nigeria having commenced operations in Lagos a year ago. Lagos has a population of about 15 million people and is a potential major market for the company. The Nigerian government has also been pushing an auto policy that it hopes will revive local car market.

The South African deal suggest something similar could be in the offing for Nigeria as they look at bolster their pool of drivers in the country. Uber can still not be easily accessed in a lot of locations in Lagos as not a lot of drivers are available to even serve small but growing customer base. If Uber can replicate this same deal in Nigeria, then it has a massive window of opportunity to create massive employment for a lot of Nigerians. The Lagos State Government should be very much interested in such a scheme considering the massive economic boost it could bring to the state.

Uber’s model more importantly could also be very attractive to Nigerian banks as the revenue cycle of the Uber cab business protects the banks from the risk of cash hoarding by drivers. With Uber, the banks have a reliable partner that can ensure payments are ring fenced for principal and interest repayments as customers do not pay the drivers but pay directly to Uber. Nairametrics expects Nigerian banks will be watching developments closely and could have just found a perfect model for financing vehicle loan schemes on a commercial basis.

http://nairametrics.com/uber-may-just-have-presented-nigerian-banks-with-a-sweet-deal/ lalasticlala

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by joey150(m): 4:34pm On Nov 11, 2015
grin.
Am ftc and i didn't even plan it.
Why some dey hustle for am.
Anyway i can tell you how it feels..lol

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by damton(m): 4:35pm On Nov 11, 2015
Hope it is protected against scam

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 11, 2015
Uber’s model?

For the fact that it worked in S.A is not a yardstick for it
success in Nigeria. Is S.A running TSA policy?

grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by kennyman2000(m): 4:36pm On Nov 11, 2015
Okay.... We're as well watching!
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Seun360(m): 4:36pm On Nov 11, 2015

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Sweetguy25: 4:36pm On Nov 11, 2015
Interesting. . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by youngice(m): 4:36pm On Nov 11, 2015
God please I need a idea that will change the world

10 Likes

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by hadura29(m): 4:37pm On Nov 11, 2015
Uber will be the next big thing if the govt takes it serious, few but not all will be employed..

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by BoiGrammz: 4:37pm On Nov 11, 2015
Summary please.. And in pidgin engrish
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by femiman007(m): 4:38pm On Nov 11, 2015
This is a long epistle
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Remyboyhefty(m): 4:38pm On Nov 11, 2015
;Dlol baba is working embarassed grin
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Bugatie(m): 4:38pm On Nov 11, 2015
Op why are you deceiving us with wrong title, I see no Nigerian bank mentioned in the write up.

You must be related to Lie Mohammed

24 Likes

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2015
i'm liking d way articles make FP without much comments. Kinda cool

1 Like

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by dustydee: 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2015
Some people will come here and say "Bubu is working" grin
On a serious note, if the plan is replicated in Nigeria, it will create employment and improve taxi service. I pray the new transport minister encourage Uber to implement something similar in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Olusharp(m): 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2015
Amechi should better work with Uber and lets know what next in the Ministry of Transportation... Uber Uba, what am i writing?

3 Likes

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by aydrees09: 4:40pm On Nov 11, 2015
South Africa again !!!! Dem send una come ?

4 Likes

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by lmm4real: 4:41pm On Nov 11, 2015
Fear Bank Loan they are deadly undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by deebsman1(m): 4:41pm On Nov 11, 2015
Nice ones
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by JAZES(m): 4:43pm On Nov 11, 2015
Trust me if u have ever boarded any uber before u will never want to use
all this 3rd taxi in lagos again. Its a welcome idea and i trust it will work in Naija

3 Likes

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by lmm4real: 4:43pm On Nov 11, 2015
joey150:
grin.

Ok u done see the bank alert. Ask sheun for ur money o, as FTC concern.
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by jaybossYBNL(m): 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2015
which one be Uber again?
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by masseratti: 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2015
Uber lagos should not try this oooo,my people will drive those cars to cotonue to sell or butcher it at ladipo or owode onirin,and there is nothing they can do about it, our credit recovery laws sucks.

With lagos traffic robbery they should look for a way to secure their premium users too.

7 Likes

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by yomalex(m): 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2015
Hmm
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by freecharles(m): 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2015
joey150:
grin.

FTC and no likes....pele o
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by sigmundfreud(m): 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2015
That's Uberful!
But again... Lack of database and poor road system to a major hindrance to such venture here.
Let's wait and see.

1 Like

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2015
BoiGrammz:
Summary please.. And in pidgin engrish

grin
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 11, 2015
okay.
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by joey150(m): 4:47pm On Nov 11, 2015
freecharles:

FTC and no likes....pele o
bros den dey change the likes with money?? Who e help?
Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 11, 2015
Uber, with lagos traffic and mad drivers ?

I laugh in Swahili.grin

1 Like

Re: Uber May Just Have Presented Nigerian Banks With A Sweet Deal by ManTiger(m): 4:49pm On Nov 11, 2015
dason4life:
Uber’s model?

For the fact that it worked in S.A is not a yardstick for it
success in Nigeria. Is S.A running TSA policy?

grin
This is one of the factors why we are where we are today. Self defeat! Why won't it work? What are your thoughts? Uber has been running effectively in Lagos and Abuja and will soon be in PH.

Personally speaking, this is a nice development for our transportation sector.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Traders In Ghana Turn Beggars Over Locked Up Shops – NUTAG / CBN To Reduce The Volume Of N500, N1000 In Circulation - Nairametrics / Tony Elumelu Yoga Workout (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.