Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,100 members, 7,835,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance (67102 Views)

Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually / Kemi Adeosun, New Minister Of Finance / Meet Kemi Adeosun - New Minister Of Finance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by femi4: 6:33pm On Nov 12, 2015
politricks:
These people should let me hear word. What did NOI the 'political heavyweight' and 'experienced' woman did to our economy except blowing grammar and dishing out statistical lies from God knows where. NOI made us think our economy is like barcelona when in actual sense it's like Chelsea all in a bid to give the impression that we are doing fine while carting away our money. Only a fool tries the same thing everytime and expects different result. Let us give this woman a chance oun no o ni fe te.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Kastonkastroll(m): 6:34pm On Nov 12, 2015
voltron:

..indeed welcome back.. was wondering if the strange political environment following PMB's ascension and the suspense-filled weeks that followed had put @gbawe in a coma.. but dude was working up to his return to NL grin grin
Hahahaha....... I'm laughing like a madman now grin
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Acidosis(m): 6:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
Some inferiority-complex infested gworo eaters were probably 'wow-ed' by her ability to speak like the Brits.

grin

If we must face the fact, Adeosun, experience and intelligent-wise, is not better than Mr. J.arus on Nairaland. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
sam90s:

If you're referring to the 'just-sworn-in' ministers, tell me how do you judge someone who is yet to start work?

easy.. by any available well-researched plans and antecedents he possesses before taking up the position.. let us just say he is going to have to think-up a structure pretty quickly given the state of the economy and the expectations of its citizenry. This is not the time for 8-year Plans that take 16 years to begin to manifest.. there are hundreds of proven models that have worked in similar economies and situations that he can learn from and adapt where necessary.. the era of reinventing the tooth-pick is over (it seems)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 12, 2015
Acidosis:
Some inferiority-complex infested gworo eaters were probably 'wow-ed' by her ability to speak like the Brits.
grin
If we must face the fact, Adeosun, experience and intelligent-wise, is not better than Mr. J.arus on Nairaland. cheesy

He will get his comeuppance soon

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Acidosis(m): 6:39pm On Nov 12, 2015
awesome11:

You are the simpleton for swallowing those thoughts hook, line and sinker just because it is Forbes'. Someone made a wrong observation about your home and you took it just like that! You surely must have a brain that is too scared to think!

By the way, I've seen enough Forbes' ratings to be convinced they could be high on Osogbo weed when they do their reportings at times!

Kindly point out one wrong info about that write-up

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Zeus777: 6:40pm On Nov 12, 2015
chrisbaba1:
[size=13pt]I am a staunch supporter of APC and an Ogun son, Kemi Adeosun is totally unfit for that position, anyone who follows Ogun holistically will know she is merely a political selection nominated by the state governor, nothing else. And it saddens me because the position she holds will make or break this tenure. The people living in Ogun state can attest to the economic woes of the state, it is non contestable, non of her "economic plans" worked, so if she couldn't help the state, how will she help the country? Productivity is what we need backed up by a productive antecedent, not british english.[/size] who would u hv preferred?

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Bizibi(m): 6:41pm On Nov 12, 2015
grandstar:
Frankly speaking, I don't think this government has anything to offer economy wise. It is instinctively anti-market and does nopt take any cues from market signals.

The foreign exchange controls are already having devastating effects on the manufacturing and commercial sectors. This has led to a motre than 10% disparity between the official and parallel market. It should never be more than 3% or you encourage round tripping as its happening now.

Banning 40 products from the forex market was an extremely amateurish attempt to preserve foreign exchange.

The best way of managing forex is by liberalizing and deregulating the forex market.

If the demand for imports is quite strong, your currency loses value and makes imports more expensive and less affordable.

As your currency weakens,it makes your exports more competitive encouraging exporters to sell more and earn foreign exchange. It counterbalances

Buhari won't last more than a term. These businessmen are not smiling. In 2019, they will come to settle scores.
no need to conclude yet,by the end of next year,many bizmen will know were we are heading,everyone is watching for now......honestly things are really hard now but we just hope it doesn't continue till may or June because it won't be funny.....
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by missKiffy(f): 6:41pm On Nov 12, 2015
politricks:
These people should let me hear word. What did NOI the 'political heavyweight' and 'experienced' woman did to our economy except blowing grammar and dishing out statistical lies from God knows where. NOI made us think our economy is like barcelona when in actual sense it's like Chelsea all in a bid to give the impression that we are doing fine while carting away our money. Only a fool tries the same thing everytime and expects different result. Let us give this woman a chance oun no o ni fe te.
I like your comment, but you finish my Chelsea sad

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by mavinc4u(f): 6:43pm On Nov 12, 2015
Johnpaul2k2:
This Position is solely for the Educated Region ..............SOUTH EAST

South West and Miscalculations oooooooo

I pray it wouldn't happen to her

Is not for educated but for the gifted and talented ones

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Joarams(m): 6:43pm On Nov 12, 2015
A lot of people look at headlines and react without really reading or looking further between the lines. PMB has very qualified people to run the Ministry of Finance (as well as other ministries) so look beyond just the Minister...there're a lot of competent hands in there. Check the profile of the new permanent secretary, Mahmoud Isa-Dutse (PhD) and tell how together with Adeosun, the two of them can ever get it wrong.

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by grandstar(m): 6:44pm On Nov 12, 2015
Bizibi:
no need to conclude yet,by the end of next year,many bizmen will know were we are heading,everyone is watching for now......honestly things are really hard now but we just hope it doesn't continue till may or June because it won't be funny.....

Your comment has been the most objective! Really matured comment. Most people are too blinded by politics to be constructive.

Its still early days but they say the morning shows the day. Lets watch!

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by princeattah1: 6:45pm On Nov 12, 2015
politricks:

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Kastonkastroll(m): 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
sam90s:

Journalism these days focuses more on opinion piece(not necessarily a bad thing), but in the wrong hand, it might turn out to be a beer parlour gist. After reading this one, I think the author should kindly 'gehrahrah-hare-man' if you know what I'm saying! grin grin grin grin grin
lolx. of course I know what you are saying, mehnnnn. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Sagamite(m): 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
frodobee:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peteguest/2015/11/11/nigerias-cabinet-kemi-adeosun-tasked-with-fixing-africas-largest-economy/2/

OP next time learn to know what Forbes says and what independent people say.

This is not a Forbes article. It is a private opinion.

As for Malte Liewerscheidt, nonsense about Okonjo-Iweala being a "Political Heavyweight".

Ngozi was not into politics, did not have any political base and did not have any political powers.

She was more of an "Intellectual Heavyweight".

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Bizibi(m): 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
grandstar:

Your comment has been the most objective! Really matured comment. Most people are too blinded by politics to be constructive.

Its still early days but they say the morning shows the day. Lets watch!
sometimes we just have to be objective and hope for the best but next year won't be funny and I don't know how fast this govt is,if it continues slowly then some of us will just have to endure and look elsewhere but we just hope for the best
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by rildwanullahi(m): 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
grandstar:
Frankly speaking, I don't think this government has anything to offer economy wise. It is instinctively anti-market and does nopt take any cues from market signals.

The foreign exchange controls are already having devastating effects on the manufacturing and commercial sectors. This has led to a motre than 10% disparity between the official and parallel market. It should never be more than 3% or you encourage round tripping as its happening now.

Banning 40 products from the forex market was an extremely amateurish attempt to preserve foreign exchange.

The best way of managing forex is by liberalizing and deregulating the forex market.

If the demand for imports is quite strong, your currency loses value and makes imports more expensive and less affordable.

As your currency weakens,it makes your exports more competitive encouraging exporters to sell more and earn foreign exchange. It counterbalances

Buhari won't last more than a term. These businessmen are not smiling. In 2019, they will come to settle scores.
could you please explain round tripping to me
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Lakeland4321: 6:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
samobaba:
THE WOMAN WILL SO SURPRISE ALL YOU DOUBTING THOMAS'S. THIS WOMAN IS WORKAHOLIC, A CHRISTIAN, SOMEONE WITH VERY HIGH INTEGRITY, AND IF YOU HAVE SEEN HER THESIS ON SMALL SCALE BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA, YOU WILL BELIEVE THERE IS NO OTHER BETTER PERSON IN THIS PRESENT ECONOMICS GRIDLOCK OTHER THAN MRS. ADEOSUN TO TAKE NIGERIA FINANCES OUT OF THIS PRESENT SITUATION THE SO CALLED HEAVY WEIGHT AND POLITICALLY CONNECTED NOI PUT NIGERIA. ASK OGUN STATE HOW THIS WOMAN IMPROVE OGUN STATE MONTHLY REVENUE FROM N750 MILLION TO N6 BILLION PER MONTH.

INDEED SHE IS A ROUND PEG IN A ROUND HOLE.
Ogun state is not nigeria, she will need to apply very advance levels of contemporary finacial and economic mgt. She should have been made min.of state finance because the elevation is too sudden and may overwhelm her. I do wish her luck but i think PMB is taking a huge risk which could have been easily avoided with several other tested options. In conclusion PMB's success may rest on madam kemi's performance.

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by awesome11(m): 6:54pm On Nov 12, 2015
Acidosis:

Kindly point out one wrong info about that write-up

Yea, I'll do just that.

People with well horned reading skills should have easily seen a note of pessimism about our economic future in that write-up and since it was a Forbes' report, it is damaging to our potential of attracting foreign investors.

Is it that there's nothing good about Kemi? The writer should have at least given her a chance.

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by grandstar(m): 6:55pm On Nov 12, 2015
rildwanullahi:
could you please explain round tripping to me

This is when you buy foreign exchange at the official rate for the sole purpose of selling it at the parrellel market.

This is prevalent when the difference between the 2 raters are high.

For instance, the official rate is 197 and the parallel rate is 225. Well connected insiders will simply buy at the official rate and sell at the other rate. This creates a privilege class of buyers.

For instance, if you use your naira debit card to buy something online, the banks charge you at the parallel rate i.e $100 for 22,500. If you return the product the bank pays you at the official rate i.e.$100 -19,700.

3 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Amother4life: 6:57pm On Nov 12, 2015
frodobee:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peteguest/2015/11/11/nigerias-cabinet-kemi-adeosun-tasked-with-fixing-africas-largest-economy/2/

Whoever wrote this piece is a clown. How does punishing individuals or corporate bodies for their flagrant disregard for our laws put a dent on investment? America issues billions in fines against corporations yearly and these idiots have never made such an assertion. Everyone has the right to be stupid but whoever published this trash is abusing that privilege.

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by jomoh: 6:59pm On Nov 12, 2015
grandstar:

The West has nothing to do with this. Please be constructive. 1 + 1 will always be 2 whether the West exist or not.

The Euro has even lost about 15% of its value against the Dollar. Even the West devalue. Japan even wants its currency to be weak so as to boost exports.

The country has no choice but to devalue! All oil exporting countries have done so due to dwindling foreign reserves. You have to face reality

How many time do u think we have to devalue before we can say enough is enough? Tell me. Cos we already devalued like 2times already and no significant impact.

Only a fool will keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

Because India did it and failed. Does it make it a textbook thing that it will always fail.

Try and think outside the box sometimes. 1+1 is not always 2 when you're talking about economics.
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by grandstar(m): 7:03pm On Nov 12, 2015
jomoh:

How many time do u think we have to devalue before we can say enough is enough? Tell me. Cos we already devalued like 2times already and no significant impact.

Only a fool will keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

Because India did it and failed. Does it make it a textbook thing that it will always fail.

Try and think outside the box sometimes. 1+1 is not always 2 when you're talking about economics.

The disparity in the exchange rate and refusal to devalue is already devastating manufacturers.

So not devaluing is worse. Sanusi who refused to devalue during his time has even urged the FG to face reality. wake up and smell the coffee!
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Bizibi(m): 7:07pm On Nov 12, 2015
grandstar:

This is when you buy foreign exchange at the official rate for the sole purpose of selling it at the parrellel market.

For instance, the official rate is 197 and the parallel rate is 225. Well connected insiders will simply buy at the official rate and sell at the other rate. This creates a privilege class of buyers.

For instance, if you use your naira debit card to buy something online, the banks charge you at the parallel rate i.e $100 for 22,500. If you return the product the bank pays you at the official rate i.e.$100 -19,700.

I think Nigeria need to tie its economy to another advanced economy to survive......
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Bizibi(m): 7:10pm On Nov 12, 2015
grandstar:

I think Nigeria need to tie its economy to another advanced economy to survive......im not sure CBN is even thinking of doing currency swap
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Chinom(m): 7:10pm On Nov 12, 2015
“Adeosun’s appointment to head the most important ministry during a time of economic crisis will stir some controversy. She is relatively inexperienced, especially compared to her immediate predecessor Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, a political heavyweight,” says Malte Liewerscheidt, senior Africa analyst at Verisk Maplecroft. “Adeosun has a strong background in the UK’s private financial sector but may struggle to navigate federal politics as the only post she previously held in Nigeria was Commissioner of Finance in Ogun State.” - FORBES.

I rest my case. Some nitwits here thought I was being tribal. Enlightened and objective thinkers saw what I saw.

3 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by drss(m): 7:17pm On Nov 12, 2015
grandstar:

The disparity in the exchange rate and refusal to devalue is already devastating manufacturers.

So not devaluing is worse. Sanusi who refused to devalue during his time has even urged the FG to face reality. wake up and smell the coffee!
u sabi economics.
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by Chinom(m): 7:19pm On Nov 12, 2015
Below is my post of 11/11 for which I was vilified. Judge for yourself. The bit about Peckham was stated out of mild irritation because some people deem it fit to drop that she was born in London. Nobody gains any experience in Nigeria by being a commissioner. The governor controls everything.

How in the world did we go from Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala to this woman. Being born and raised in Peckham or Hackney is not enough qualification to be made the minister of Finance.
Why can't we be objective for once and remove tribe from all equations. There are many more qualified Yoruba women that could handle the finance ministry. If I recall correctly, a Yoruba woman was once the MD of Ecobank. The only reason I can think of why she was given the minister of Finance, is that somebody, somewhere wants to pull the strings from a distance. It could be Tinubu, it could be Buhari, I don't know.
I just don't see how being a commissioner of finance in Ogun state qualifies her to be our minister of finance for the entire nation. Some commissioners in my state cannot spell the word 'commissioner' correctly. I know them.
Please let's put tribe aside. This woman should have been made the minister of Tourism.

1 Like

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by abimic(m): 7:20pm On Nov 12, 2015
PointB:

This just about summarised the article.

The duara dullard is aka Baba Go-Slow.

He's slowness in thinking, and acting exacerbate the situation, now he has to do catch up.

However one thing the Forbes article failed to mention is the much touted talk of diversifying the economy. One would have thought that attention and effort would be given to the agricultural ministry in the form of an energetic and dynamic minister like the last occupant of that very strategic ministry. But what do we have? A 68 old career politician - Audu Ogbeh! undecided
And what about ogbe, is he incompetent? Why not let's give these people a chance to see their output. Who ever thought adesina would perform like he did? Mugabe despite his old age is the most vocal president in Africa. Age don't do these things, it's your capability, readiness and passion that matters. Did u follow him right from the senate floor? I doubt u did.
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by eaglechild: 7:22pm On Nov 12, 2015
samobaba:
THE WOMAN WILL SO SURPRISE ALL YOU DOUBTING THOMAS'S. THIS WOMAN IS WORKAHOLIC, A CHRISTIAN, SOMEONE WITH VERY HIGH INTEGRITY, AND IF YOU HAVE SEEN HER THESIS ON SMALL SCALE BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA, YOU WILL BELIEVE THERE IS NO OTHER BETTER PERSON IN THIS PRESENT ECONOMICS GRIDLOCK OTHER THAN MRS. ADEOSUN TO TAKE NIGERIA FINANCES OUT OF THIS PRESENT SITUATION THE SO CALLED HEAVY WEIGHT AND POLITICALLY CONNECTED NOI PUT NIGERIA. ASK OGUN STATE HOW THIS WOMAN IMPROVE OGUN STATE MONTHLY REVENUE FROM N750 MILLION TO N6 BILLION PER MONTH.

INDEED SHE IS A ROUND PEG IN A ROUND HOLE.
She maybe "good" but this is not some lecture hall. We are talking about the biggest economy in Africa thrust into her hands (by the way NOI made that possible ).
This is international economics which is intricately linked with politics as Forbes has clearly pointed out.

She will require a lot of convincing in form of sound policies to even be taken seriously on the international scene. Something a more experienced hand would not be bothered with.
Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by pasol4real(m): 7:23pm On Nov 12, 2015
Nigerians if u know how to pray Pls start praying n if u dont know how Pls start learning cos only God can save us from this government's ineptness.
Imagine a mere commissioner of a state like ogun state(no offence intended pls) bin made the finance minister of a country bedevilled with so much economic n finacial problems, like Nigeria.it is unfortunate really the direction the President is towing .perhaps he thinks it is enough just to fight corruption n every thing wud automatically turn perfect.one wud hav expected à seasoned economist with vast international experience n reputation ,especially in this critical period, of our economy .i even heard the customs boss is the minister of state for finance,if true this is indeed laughable n ridiculous.one wanders if the President really understands the herculian task before him especially with regards to the economy.
Well time shall tell but like i said earlier its time for serious prayers .

2 Likes

Re: Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance by ibisko04: 7:29pm On Nov 12, 2015
Nonsense analysis from enemy camp. These organizations that claim to know all things about world economy are really looking for another jargon to discredit us.
Ngosi Okonjo try all the expo given to her from these organizations, what is the result.
We need to look inward to make way to go forward.
If Adeosun really want to succeed in this task, she should develop something new and listen less to IMF & WORLD BANK.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Helicopters Of The Nigerian Airforce (Pictures) / AGF, Abubakar Malami Son's Wedding Video As Money Rains / Running Mate: Osinbajo Speaks On ‘Seeking Buhari’s Permission’ To Dump APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.