Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,201 members, 7,811,540 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

Tribalism Among Yoruba People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tribalism Among Yoruba People (2442 Views)

Important Drums Of The Yoruba People / It's Saturday, Pap Day Among Yoruba Nation / 5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribalism Among Yoruba People by gistwivkome(f): 9:21pm On Nov 12, 2015
I got the shock of my life today when I went to pay for a house and was told by the agent that the landlord would not accept me as a tenant because I am not "Igbo".
I even told d guy that I'm not igbo but isoko, a tribe in Delta state. He looked at me like "what's d difference?"
I can't believe that in 2015 people still reason this way.
To think that I've spent most of my life in Yoruba land and Yoruba is the only Nigerian language I speak and I am still regarded as a stranger in my country.
What even baffles me most is that there are Indians living in that same house and I was denied cos I'm not frm a certain part of Nigeria even though I was ready to pay the rent n other fees; which were already on the high side.
I'm really embarrassed that we still have such narrow minded and ignorant people in this country. Ajyway, it's d man's loss cos i would av been one of d best tenants he ever and would ever have. *rolls eyes*

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by fulaniHERDSman(m): 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
And you think he will give the house to a fulani man? Useless southerners. angry

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 12, 2015
fulaniHERDSman:
And you think he will give the house to a fulani man? Useless southerners. angry
igbo kwenu using two accounts to comment.
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 12, 2015
go back 2 ur erosion brown soil. it's just getting started. yeeeebs r too much in d west dont u know that@op yet they r yorubas No 1 enemy.

4 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 12, 2015
is only in the southwest where igbos will rent a room and 29 of them will be living there till they make it.
Igbos.

9 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by tonychristopher: 10:33pm On Nov 12, 2015
gistwivkome:
I got the shock of my life today when I went to pay for a house and was told by the agent that the landlord would not accept me as a tenant because I am not "Igbo".
I even told d guy that I'm not igbo but isoko, a tribe in Delta state. He looked at me like "what's d difference?"
To think that I've spent most of my life in Yoruba land and Yoruba is the only Nigerian language I speak and I am still regarded as a stranger in my country.
What even baffles me most is that there are Indians living in that same house and I was denied cos I'm not frm a certain part of Nigeria even though I was ready to pay the rent n other fees; which were already on the high side.
I'm really embarrassed that we still have such narrow minded and ignorant people in this country. Ajyway, it's d man's loss cos i would av been one of d best tenants he ever and would ever have. *rolls eyes*

Welcome to one Nigeria ..these Niger delta people self ..a monkey can claim sameness with gorilla but we know that a monkey will always be a monkey

So u can speak all the Yoruba and forget your language but u will be reminded by bigots that u are this sobo man

4 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by Funjosh(m): 4:33am On Nov 13, 2015
The solution is go look for another apartment don't be surprised that it might be another Yoruba person that will still accommodate you. The said Landlord might have had a very terrible experience with another tribe and you know most Yoruba will assume as long as u are not Yoruba, you are Either Igbo or Hausa.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by HugoChavezJr(m): 11:08am On Nov 13, 2015
Why does it surprise you? Yoruba people are the some of the most ignorant beings on the planet. They claim to have all the book smarts, but they lack in common sense.

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by menabae(f): 1:44pm On Nov 13, 2015
How can I forsake my langauage in respect of anoda?God forbid,u never see anything yet

1 Like

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by itstpia8: 6:22pm On Nov 13, 2015
Niger Deltans are very close to Indians, are they related to them somehow?
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 13, 2015
itstpia8:
Niger Deltans are very close to Indians, are they related to them somehow?

Which Indians? The Amerindinians or ones from India?
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by itstpia8: 9:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
Indians from India.
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by Nobody: 1:20am On Nov 14, 2015
itstpia8:
Indians from India.

How are we close to them? How did you come to that assertion?
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by macof(m): 2:03am On Nov 14, 2015
Funjosh has given you the best advice op
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by bigfrancis21: 5:12pm On Nov 14, 2015
gistwivkome:

To be honest, I am still trying to understand your story. You said the Yoruba landlord rejected you because 'you are not Igbo'? Or did you mean to write, because 'you are Igbo?' Because if you said you were rejected because you are not Igbo (meaning the landlord wants an Igbo tenant), then going ahead to explain you are Isoko from Delta state does not make sense because you are still not Igbo.

Clarify your post please.

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by itstpia8: 5:14pm On Nov 14, 2015
I think s/he's trying to reference the Delta Ibo part of Delta State.

hence the attempt at subterfuge and sarcasm plus covert messaging.

Plus, there's no evidence s/he is actually anything s/he mentioned.

One post since Oct 2014 when s/he signed on this moniker.

Obviously, s/he's another id which is more active but for reasons best known to him/her, s/he created this thread with one of his/her alternate user names.

Hope it's not
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by macof(m): 7:00pm On Nov 16, 2015
gistwivkome:

You've been on nairaland with this moniker since 2014 but you had to make this your first post? Why? What's your other moniker(s)?
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by gistwivkome(f): 10:44pm On Nov 17, 2015
macof:

You've been on nairaland with this moniker since 2014 but you had to make this your first post? Why? What's your other moniker(s)?

Cos I'm quiet n kinda shy
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by gistwivkome(f): 10:45pm On Nov 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

To be honest, I am still trying to understand your story. You said the Yoruba landlord rejected you because 'you are not Igbo'? Or did you mean to write, because 'you are Igbo?' Because if you said you were rejected because you are not Igbo (meaning the landlord wants an Igbo tenant), then going ahead to explain you are Isoko from Delta state does not make sense because you are still not Igbo.

Clarify your post please.

He rejected me because he perceived I'm igbo, the way most yoruba pple believe u r igbo once u r not yoruba n not hausa
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by bigfrancis21: 11:48pm On Nov 17, 2015
gistwivkome:

He rejected me because he perceived I'm igbo, the way most yoruba pple believe u r igbo once u r not yoruba n not hausa

Ok then. Well understood. Modify your post appropriately.
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 18, 2015
it's common knowledge that landlords in lagos/ogun/oyo, even the "igbo" landlords too avoid igbos. I believe you know why. Somebody hinted you above. They are good to rent out shops to sha.
Next time you visit an apartment manager, try speak yoruba, then they would treat you differently.
Re: Tribalism Among Yoruba People by Sanuzi(m): 7:57am On Nov 18, 2015
ok ooooo
gistwivkome:

(1) (Reply)

Benin: Families Rent Cows, Mourners To Make Burial Ceremonies Colourful / Woman Wrapper .... / When Was The Last Time/year You Played A Banger/knockout During The Christmas Pe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.