Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,253 members, 7,815,379 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You (960 Views)

Watch Motivational Video-laziness Will Kill Your Chances Of Success(watch Video) / Contact Us For Your Social Media Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by Hidentity(m): 12:27pm On Nov 13, 2015
Here is a caveat: I set to strike a rod against the mud, all those around might have a share of stain on their outfits. Also, this piece is not for everybody, it is basically targeted at the youths who are most likely to be victims of the karma law. As a matter of fact, writing on this didn't interest me and I have tried bottling up the urge for months, but like the Nigerian pastors will say 'this is for someone out there tonight'.

A few months back, while jumping from one job interview to another, I became privy to certain revelations which I think that I should share with readers. Before I proceeded to NYSC camp, I took out a month for a break from my former firm to relax. Incidentally, I found myself writing exams and going for job interviews at different firms as the replies of my several applications keyed into that time. I had something in mind in all job examinations and interviews I went for- to give them a run for their monies. I didn't and still don't want any job at all cost. As a matter of fact, I can say that I had up to two or three interviews I attended for the fun of it. Yes, there was a particular firm in Lagos that needed the applicants to be present at their morning devotion that day before the interview would commence, I left the firm and headed for a canteen close by. When I turned up for the interview later, it was not hard for them to realize that I didn't attend the devotion and when I was questioned, I told them that the same way I won't allow my personal interest to affect their job if I get it, I won't allow their morning devotion to affect my meal time.

To the issue, I wrote an exam at another Lagos firm. To me, it wasn't surprising that the four papers that carried 20 questions each did not have a single law question. Yes, it was a law firm, but the word 'law' did not even appear once in the papers. Like the experience at Aelex, it wasn't funny, even with the AC, I saw colleagues sweating. Fifteen days after, I got a mail notifying me that I was qualified for the interview stage. I went through provisions of the law and updated myself on global issues before I shut my eyes that night.

On the D day, I was given a tag that carried the number '8', We were 10 that day and it took each applicants 20 to 30 minutes in that den. We were all led to the conference room where we sat and then we were called one after the other to enter the den and face our fears. After each interview, you would see the applicant interviewed heading for the lift, you can't even get to talk to them because they were not allowed to come back to the conference room, but the looks on their faces were not the type the son of man would wish for. Soon enough, it was my turn, I stood up and headed for the den, but I didn't know why my bladder suddenly got filled up. It wasn't so before I was called, but now it was, yet it was too late. The moment I entered the 'den', the lady among the interviewers threw the first question, 'what date did you write your exam here?' I couldn't even remember. But then, maybe my service in the Sunday school as a kid paid off, I pretended like I didn't hear her as I forced a smile and sat.

'What can you say about Abusgar?' I wasn't sure I heard that right. However, she repeated 'what can you say about BabaAhmed Abusgar? Sincerely, I was shocked to the core. I didn't know the relevance of Abusgar there and everything seemed wrong to me. I told them he is a friend and I respect his submissions. 'We went through your Facebook wall and your posts, we looked at how you react to criticisms and issues that interest you, we find Abusgar's comments quite great, but you didn't agree with him on most occasions'. I sat there thinking about the things I posted- the mischief accounts as a student, the trouble I made at UBA, my business at the love lane etc. 'Are you shocked?' The question brought me back. I replied in the affirmative. 'Well, we do not bank on applicant's academic credentials, their performances in our exams and interviews alone. We need to access them in places where they think they have the liberty to do and undo and that is where we believe their true personalities lie...' In fact, these people addressed over five of my articles.

Friends, there is nothing that you have posted that anybody cannot post, but I think that it is high time we started to be a check on our actions on the social media. Don't be so silly to make the social media your comfort zone to insult people, post nude or almost nude pictures. Don't come here telling us all those craps about your boyfriend or girlfriend. Don't come here to embarrass yourself by asking people to donate for your birthday. Don't come here on weekends to ask guys if they are interested in taking you out. Don't post the picture of the bottle of alcohol you drank last night here. Don't just post anything- think about the message it will send and its substance. Corporate bodies know that we are mad on the social media and they are sneaking there. Well, you can continue turning your buttocks to the camera and posting it as long as you think that you won't find yourself in my shoes one day and karma won't come calling. See, you may post or tweet everyday if you have something worthwhile to type, but shut up and calm down on senseless posts and pictures. Keep grabbing the zip part of your trousers as a pose and post it on the social media. Continue calling ladies 'bitches' and guys 'assholes', one day, your social media pages will kill you, and you know what? You will die. But hey, mine didn't kill me and I am glad that I was commended.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by otipoju(m): 12:37pm On Nov 13, 2015
Believe me. The last place that I will say what's really on my mind is Facebook
Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 13, 2015
This is so revealing Thanks for sharing Op.
Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by Isaacmacdon(m): 1:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
Wow!
Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by itstpia8: 4:00pm On Nov 13, 2015
The internet is not a Christian organization.

op what are you trying to say?

1 Like

Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by itstpia8: 4:00pm On Nov 13, 2015
otipoju:
Believe me. The last place that I will say what's really on my mind is Facebook

explain.
Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by Hidentity(m): 9:12pm On Nov 13, 2015
itstpia8:
The internet is not a Christian organization.

op what are you trying to say?

If you can't figure it out, kindly move on friend. I don't write for everybody. Thanks
Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by itstpia8: 10:39pm On Nov 13, 2015
if you dont know how to summarize your posts succinctly, well, too bad.
Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 14, 2015
Nice write up.
Interestingly, firms around the world have started the practice of social recruitment.
Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by Holywizard: 8:19pm On Nov 14, 2015
holy jesus & am used to posting nonsense

1 Like

Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by itstpia8: 1:50am On Nov 15, 2015
Brandnew2:
Nice write up.
Interestingly, firms around the world have started practising social recruitment.

Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by Nobody: 1:54am On Nov 15, 2015
itstpia8:

It's auto correct lol! cheesy Smart phones sometimes have a mind of their own.
Re: Yes, Your Social Media Pages Will Kill You by itstpia8: 1:55am On Nov 15, 2015

(1) (Reply)

강서키스방㇂제주키스방᎕bamwar8。c0m᎘밤전 『강남키스방 366』 / Twitter Orubebe Trends On Twitter As Omojuwa Is Christened With His New Name / Humble Smith, Slow Dogg Others To Headline Ibari Ogwa’s Easter Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.