Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,379 members, 7,815,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward (5276 Views)

Yorubas Are The Best In Science And Technology/ict. / Contribution Of Science And Technology In Agriculture / Nigeria To Start Production Of Pencils, Says Onu [minister Of Science And Techno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by jnichole(m): 12:53am On Nov 14, 2015
what can we do as individuals to move the department of science and technology forward
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 14, 2015
well,

er . . . you know, what baffles me is that people actually have access to books in higher institutions and yet no one has invented anything worthwhile. i mean, i just don't get it. how can you have so much information within your reach and still have nothing to show for it? embarassed

is it that they are too busy studying to pass? or . . . what? sad

on one side, we can ask for the Government to provide funding. but what exactly are they going to be funding? who are they going to give the money to? these unserious lot?

okay, you know what, i think there is a . . . sort of problem here. and the problem is that we are all trying to fly solo. each nigerian science student has this "secret invention" that they are going to show to the world. they can't tell anyone so no one will steal their ideas.

the problem with this is . . . one person can't do it all. you need a pack. a group of scientists coming together. to work together. and that is kind of my newest experiment. i designed/imagined a hypothetical team consisting of seven individuals

1. a physicist.
2. a biochemist.
3. a computer scientist.
4. a concept artist.
5. a mathematician.
6. a mechanical engineer.
7. an electrical engineer.

now, if there was such a team, and they were fairly intelligent, let's assume an IQ of 124 for each of them. and let's assume that their minimum education was just a year in higher institution. if they were to work together for a space of exactly six months,
could they not produce a design worth funding?

i mean, their design would be so much superior to that of a group that had only engineers or only mathematicians, or only one person. now, why can't we start from something like this? i initially kept this idea to myself because i wanted to be a pioneer. but the truth is, it's time to stop hoarding ideas. Guys, SERIOUSLY! keeping ideas to yourself is suicide! you need to have a team! you need to have a project you work on. you need to design something truly worthwhile and worth funding!

hence i throw out the challenge . . . ( hehehe. cheesy )

if you have access to intelligent people from other fields who you think can help out, i think it's time to utilize your leadership skills and bring them together to work on a Design. you don't have to actually build anything. just design it and make a slideshow of how you think it will work/what it can do, and show it to the world. you will be funded! embarassed

i think this maybe what we need to move forward. start making teams. stop hoarding ideas.

#peace.

johnydon22, dekatron, robinhez, queed, slimzjoe, acorntree, dearpreye

kindly offer ideas. smiley

hahn . . . i can see you oh. grin oyah come and talk. cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 5:50pm On Nov 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
well,

er . . . you know, what baffles me is that people actually have access to books in higher institutions and yet no one has invented anything worthwhile. i mean, i just don't get it. how can you have so much information within your reach and still have nothing to show for it? embarassed

The Nigerian education system has been designed to be more theoretical than practical. Just imagine a computer engineer that doesn't have an email address or a chemistry student that hasn't seen at least half of the elements on the periodic table in person or an electrical engineer that cannot repair a generator. Besides, our curriculum is antic at best. What can we do with 1960 info in 2015? And YES, Nigerian students are only in school to pass their exams and earn a certificate. In a society where it is possible for an engoineering student to work as a cashier in a bank, there is little or no motivation behind most people's chosen course. And the infrastructure is another thing. If real life doctors can perform surgeries with the aid of torchlights, imagine the kind of learning conditions students are subjected to.

on one side, we can ask for the Government to provide funding. but what exactly are they going to be funding? who are they going to give the money to? these unserious lot?

The Nigerian government haven't sufficiently funded goverment projects or even provided basic infrastructure, do you reall think they care about what students have to offer? Do you have any idea how many ideas die daily because of access to funds?

Just leave the Nigerian government out of it. Indiegogo is a very good crowd funding platform and it will be a great idea to take advantage of the opportunity in presents as regards fund raising.

okay, you know what, i think there is a . . . sort of problem here. and the problem is that we are all trying to fly solo. each nigerian science student has this "secret invention" that they are going to show to the world. they can't tell anyone so no one will steal their ideas.

Well, the truth is that your idea will be stolen. Simple. Either it is stolen or you are required to bring a ficticious collaterral. Imagine telling an undergraduate to raise N1m in collaterral. If I get that money I no go use am import toothpick?

the problem with this is . . . one person can't do it all. you need a pack. a group of scientists coming together. to work together. and that is kind of my newest experiment. i designed/imagined a hypothetical team consisting of seven individuals

1. a physicist.
2. a biochemist.
3. a computer scientist.
4. a concept artist.
5. a mathematician.

now, if there was such a team, and they were fairly intelligent, let's assume an IQ of 124 for each of them. and let's assume that their minimum education was just a year in higher institution. if they were to work together for a space of exactly six months,

i mean, their design would be so much superior to that of a group that had only engineers or only mathematicians, or only one person. now, why can't we start from something like this? i initially kept this idea to myself because i wanted to be a pioneer. but the truth is, it's time to stop hoarding ideas. Guys, SERIOUSLY! keeping ideas to yourself is suicide! you need to have a team! you need to have a project you work on. you need to design something truly worthwhile and worth funding!

A team is necessary but your list is not complete without an account who will handle the financial aspects and someone has experience with business that can create a business plan for the idea, handle marketing and other business aspects of the idea. It's imporatant that the idea generates profit or no investor will take it seriously. I hereby volunteer myself *wide grin*

if you have access to intelligent people from other fields who you think can help out, i think it's time to utilize your leadership skills and bring them together to work on a Design. you don't have to actually build anything. just design it and make a slideshow of how you think it will work/what it can do, and show it to the world. you will be funded! embarassed

i think this maybe what we need to move forward. start making teams. stop hoarding ideas.

#peace.

johnydon22, dekatron, robinhez, queed, slimzjoe, acorntree

I'm in grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 14, 2015
hahn:

The Nigerian education system has been designed to be more theoretical than practical. Just imagine a computer engineer that doesn't have an email address or a chemistry student that hasn't seen at least half of the elements on the periodic table in person or an electrical engineer that cannot repair a generator. Besides, our curriculum is antic at best. What can we do with 1960 info in 2015? And YES, Nigerian students are only in school to pass their exams and earn a certificate. In a society where it is possible for an engoineering student to work as a cashier in a bank, there is little or no motivation behind most people's chosen course. And the infrastructure is another thing. If real life doctors can perform surgeries with the aid of torchlights, imagine the kind of learning conditions students are subjected to.

The Nigerian government haven't sufficiently funded goverment projects or even provided basic infrastructure, do you reall think they care about what students have to offer? Do you have any idea how many ideas die daily because of access to funds?

Just leave the Nigerian government out of it. Indiegogo is a very good crowd funding platform and it will be a great idea to take advantage of the opportunity in presents as regards fund raising.

Well, the truth is that your idea will be stolen. Simple. Either it is stolen or you are required to bring a ficticious collaterral. Imagine telling an undergraduate to raise N1m in collaterral. If I get that money I no go use am import toothpick?

A team is necessary but your list is not complete without an account who will handle the financial aspects and someone has experience with business that can create a business plan for the idea, handle marketing and other business aspects of the idea. It's imporatant that the idea generates profit or no investor will take it seriously. I hereby volunteer myself *wide grin*

I'm in grin
Sir . . . you're making sense. wink
yeah, you're right. there is need for someone who is commercially inclined and can advice the team on the marketing viability of their product and other fiscal wahala . . . . however, i excluded that because . . . well, imagine yourself in a room of science students throwing ideas around and solving problems . . . well, things could get a little boring. grin so, the fiscal person would be an external body. don't you think? wink
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 6:22pm On Nov 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
Sir . . . you're making sense. wink
yeah, you're right. there is need for someone who is commercially inclined and can advice the team on the marketing viability of their product and other fiscal wahala . . . . however, i excluded that because . . . well, imagine yourself in a room of science students throwing ideas around and solving problems . . . well, things could get a little boring. grin so, the fiscal person would be an external body. don't you think? wink

Well, I'm a very curious person and I also love being around people who are smarter than myself. Besides, the business person needs to be there to criticise the idea. If y'all decide to come up with inventing a deep freezer for eskimoes I should be able to tell you it won't sell. Apparently

2 Likes

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by RobinHez(m): 6:44pm On Nov 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
Guys, SERIOUSLY! keeping ideas to yourself is suicide! you need to have a team! you need to have a project you work on. you need to design something truly worthwhile and worth funding!

Tell that to the inventors who have come before you... undecided

We're just too _fucking lazy in this country...to the extent; we need 7 men from different fields to actually come up with an idea... angry
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 14, 2015
RobinHez:

We're just too _fucking lazy in this country...to the extent; we need 7 men from different fields to actually come up with an idea... angry
guy, you too dey fall hand. angry

i say you too dey fall hand. angry

the fact you and a lot of other nigerians think this way actually proves you right. all of you are lazy. too lazy to follow the times.

NASA = group of scientists.
NAFDAC = group of scientists
NDLEA = group of scientists.
CIA FORENSICS = group of scientists.
HADRON COLLIDER = group of scientists.
STRING THEORY = group of scientists.
GOOGLE = group of scientists.
FACEBOOK = group of scientists.
EVERY CAR DESIGN = group of scientists.
EVERY PLANE DESIGN = group of scientists.
CANCER TREATMENT DESIGNS = group of scientists.

scientists in developed countries stopped working solo over seventy years ago. this shows you don't even read scientific magazines. virtually every development now is attributed to "group of researchers" or "team of scientists." even the Nobel prize is increasingly being awarded to groups rather than individuals. you people are still, like hahn said, using 1960 knowledge in 2015.

virtually everything now is a result of collaborations from large teams of many scientists. i suggested just seven and you're shouting, what the hell? guy, whats-app has FIFTY FIVE employees. you think they are that much because Americans are lazy? imagine how much better nairaland would be if it had up to fifty five people constantly developing the site.

the world's first electric car was designed by a group of scientists. you think that's because Americans are lazy, right? swarm technology, silicon photonics, holograms, quantum computing, such worthwhile inventions are being designed by GROUPS AND TEAMS, sir! not single people who are apparently the masters of hard work. undecided

the reason why Nigerians keep reinventing the wheel and making mediocre nonsense is exactly what you said. they are taking examples from ancient inventors. but this is not 1920. this is 2015 and things have changed, you need to change your literature and your world view as well.

se fini.

EDIT.

okay, no vex. cheesy na anger cause am.

but, i hope you got the point through my furious rantings. wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 14, 2015
space inevitably booked. grin grin
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Feraz(m): 8:42pm On Nov 14, 2015
The way forward? Well, we have to LOVE science and tech. first before we can move forward. I'm sorry to say but many here do not like science. You hear things like "wetin science don do for this country?" At times, you are forced to ask "Does The ministry of Science and Technology really exist in this country?" If we want to move science and tech. forward, then:

building R and D centres in the country;
having science fair;
having different teams like Teempakguy (BTW, is that you? grin )said;
updating our curriculum to reflect today and the future. . .

I think I am blank right now. undecided

cc: 5minsmadness

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 9:02pm On Nov 14, 2015
RobinHez:

Lol.

Teempakguy is right, you fall hand big time.

Read "Good to great" by Jim Collins and you'll be more enlightened on the need for a proper team.
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 9:08pm On Nov 14, 2015
Feraz:
The way forward? Well, we have to LOVE science and tech. first before we can move forward. I'm sorry to say but many here do not like science. You hear things like "wetin science don do for this country?" At times, you are forced to ask "Does The ministry of Science and Technology really exist in this country?" If we want to move science and tech. forward, then:

having science fair;

cc: 5minsmadness

Very true. However, a few people with passion, drive and focus can create the bedrock of scientific breakthrough for the future.

But this government dey f up big time. It's always so amusing whenever I realise that no one is ever concerned about the ministry for science and technology. I bet it's not in the league of "juicy" portfolios Nigerians are always concerned about.
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by RobinHez(m): 9:13pm On Nov 14, 2015
hahn:

Lol.

Teempakguy is right, you fall hand big time.

Read "Good to great" by Jim Collins and you'll be more enlightened on the need for a proper team.

No ...u both fell ur hands smiley

This was my comment

we need 7 men from different fields to
actually come up with an idea...

Every soul has an idea...but actualizing it is where the problem lies, and that's where a group comes in; To build on that idea.

I reiterate!
Only Laziness will make 7 men come together to to get a substantial idea. angry
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by 5minsmadness: 9:17pm On Nov 14, 2015
There's a ministry of science and technology? shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 14, 2015
Feraz:

having science fair;

cc:
okay, so here's the thing.

i suddenly noticed that inspite of all these nigerian scientists and engineers are doing, they never get appreciated. their inventions were always considered insults to their fields and mediocre and so on. so i thought, what are they doing wrong? so i began to evaluate their methods and motives. and i've found,

1. almost all of so called nigerian innovations are made by students in higher institutions.

2. these students make these things as classroom projects. they build these things to get grades. not because they like building things like that.

3. they don't take time to design it. they just get an idea of what they want to do and grab parts of it and join them together.

4. they are usually little groups of people in the same course.

compared to foreign innovations.

1. they come from everywhere. from schools to companies to organizations to their backyards.

2. they have passion for building things. and usually, when interviewed, they will reveal that they've been building things since prepuberty.

3. they painstakingly design their products. sometimes even creating a new part to fit in with it. testing and testing and testing. in fact, they usually reveal their prototypes as test run videos. not the display pictures we use here. where the item is just photographed over and over again. no video of it actually doing anything.

4. they are usually in large groups of diverse fields. and even when the core developers are not much, they spend a lot of time consulting people from other fields.

these seemingly little things make a lot of difference.

one the other note, we really can't blame nigerians who don't love science. science has indeed not done much for them. your average nigerian doesn't have an apple product. or even an android 4.4 higher. it's up to us to prove them wrong and make them love. grin
so, we have to adapt to the way things are going.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 14, 2015
RobinHez:

This was my comment

Every soul has an idea...but actualizing it is where the problem lies, and that's where a group comes in; To build on that idea.

I reiterate!
nice try. grin

but you still fall hand. tongue
look at the very post you quoted.
Guys, SERIOUSLY! keeping ideas to yourself is suicide! you need to have a team! you need to have a project you work on. you need to design something truly worthwhile and worth funding!
i guess you were too lazy to notice that that was exactly what i was talking about. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 9:32pm On Nov 14, 2015
RobinHez:

This was my comment

I reiterate!

Well, I guess there was a bit of a misunderstanding then and you have a point.

You should have also read where he said in the write up that

The idea is not to get a team and then create an idea but to create a team to work on the ideas we already have.

History has taught us that majority of inventors who come up with ideas and work on it alone go through a lot, in terms of seeking for funding, in order to make it a reality and also when you consider the society we live in, it is necessary to surround yourself with like minds so as to remain focused and not lose hope.
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 9:34pm On Nov 14, 2015
5minsmadness:

Lol.

Feraz, come and answer this question
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Feraz(m): 9:39pm On Nov 14, 2015
5minsmadness:
hahn:

Lol.
Feraz, come and answer this question
LOL! Here

There have always been; just that most times, you really wonder if it is still functioning. Also, I wonder how much is allocated to them.

hahn:

Lol! Damn! Now, that was eye opening. Did Buhari just create that ministry or has that ministry always existed? The best I can recall regarding a ministry of science and tech is in dejava tongue

And they put an Ebonyi man in charge. That's evidence of Ebonyi's political clout on the Nigerian political scene tongue
The good thing - I looked up the guy's profile and could see he is quite sound academically. . . I only hope he takes it up a notch higher. . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 9:45pm On Nov 14, 2015
Feraz:

LOL! Here

Lol! Damn! Now, that was eye opening. Did Buhari just create that ministry or has that ministry always existed? The best I can recall regarding a ministry of science and tech is in dejava tongue

And they put an Ebonyi man in charge. That's evidence of Ebonyi's political clout on the Nigerian political scene tongue
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 9:59pm On Nov 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
okay, so here's the thing.

i suddenly noticed that inspite of all these nigerian scientists and engineers are doing, they never get appreciated. their inventions were always considered insults to their fields and mediocre and so on. so i thought, what are they doing wrong? so i began to evaluate their methods and motives. and i've found,

This is not necessarily about what they are doing wrong but the simple fact that the Nigerian society doesn't support such achievements as long as it doesn't involve ghana-must-goes and a long convoy well equipped with a polithiefian and mobile police officers.

1. almost all of so called nigerian innovations are made by students in higher institutions.

2. these students make these things as classroom projects. they build these things to get grades. not because they like building things like that.

3. they don't take time to design it. they just get an idea of what they want to do and grab parts of it and join them together.

4. they are usually little groups of people in the same course.

Don't forget, this is a country where engineers end up working as marketers for banks. They only do it for the certificate so that they can have a better chance at getting a better job. That's it

compared to foreign innovations.

1. they come from everywhere. from schools to companies to organizations to their backyards.

2. they have passion for building things. and usually, when interviewed, they will reveal that they've been building things since prepuberty.

3. they painstakingly design their products. sometimes even creating a new part to fit in with it. testing and testing and testing. in fact, they usually reveal their prototypes as test run videos. not the display pictures we use here. where the item is just photographed over and over again. no video of it actually doing anything.

4. they are usually in large groups of diverse fields. and even when the core developers are not much, they spend a lot of time consulting people from other fields.

these seemingly little things make a lot of difference.

You can't compare these guys with us. How many average Nigerian parents buy their kids chemistry or biology toy sets or even toys? I used to live in Ilupeju and the Indian international school is there. These guys come from as far as Epe every morning and ALWAYS once it's 8:00am you will not see a single car on the street as opposed to Nigerian kids that aren't in school by 10:00am. You should also see projects that their primary school kids come to school with. I sometimes see these kids coming to school with the solar system made out of cardboards and whatever and I'm like, Nigerian kids dey suffer.

Don't forget that there are science agencies, constant electric power supply, access to latest journals, science fairs and those things feraz listed. Why science no go hungry you? Do you even know if Nigerian kids have eaten breakfast?

These are not excuses for failure but they add up.

one the other note, we really can't blame nigerians who don't love science. science has indeed not done much for them. your average nigerian doesn't have an apple product. or even an android 4.4 higher. it's up to us to prove them wrong and make them love. grin
so, we have to adapt to the way things are going.

Not at all. Blame the guy who said knowledge and intelligence are of the devil and will lead you to hell. undecided

For this to work, adequate funding is required. Participants have to live, eat and breathe science to be able to come up with any tangible idea or else it will be another wild goose chase. undecided
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Feraz(m): 10:09pm On Nov 14, 2015
hahn:

This is not necessarily about what they are doing wrong but the simple fact that the Nigerian society doesn't support such achievements as long as it doesn't involve ghana-must-goes and a long convoy well equipped with a polithiefian and mobile police officers.
Don't forget, this is a country where engineers end up working as marketers for banks. They only do it for the certificate so that they can have a better chance at getting a better job. That's it
You can't compare these guys with us. How many average Nigerian parents buy their kids chemistry or biology toy sets or even toys? I used to live in Ilupeju and the Indian international school is there. These guys come from as far as Epe every morning and ALWAYS once it's 8:00am you will not see a single car on the street as opposed to Nigerian kids that aren't in school by 10:00am. You should also see projects that their primary school kids come to school with. I sometimes see these kids coming to school with the solar system made out of cardboards and whatever and I'm like, Nigerian kids dey suffer.
Don't forget that there are science agencies, constant electric power supply, access to latest journals, science fairs and those things feraz listed. Why science no go hungry you? Do you even know if Nigerian kids have eaten breakfast?
Not at all. Blame the guy who said knowledge and intelligence are of the devil and will lead you to hell. undecided
For this to work, adequate funding is required. Participants have to live, eat and breathe science to be able to come up with any tangible idea or else it will be another wild goose chase. undecided
The bolded

[img]http://media0./media/pb3erNjEMTPDW/giphy.gif[/img] Image credit - coogar. . . grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by 5minsmadness: 10:15pm On Nov 14, 2015
U guys grossly underestimate the "negativity" factor. The negativity factor along with the discouraging environment we find ourselves in as Nigerians makes it very difficult for any budding scientist to thrive.

A scientist/inventor comes up with a novel idea and manages to build a prototype and present it to the media. The first thing everybody sees is - - it was invented by a nigerian in Nigeria- - therefore it will not work.

Now this may appear like a simple case of "believe in yourself" but by the time u take into consideration the crowd mentality and the sheer force of thier "negativity pressure" of it won't work, you can't do it, your american mates are making better, you are a fool, etc. The inventor is almost literally beaten to the ground. The invention never sees the light of day and is thrown in the rubbish heap.

I'm not even going to talk about the authenticity of the inventions cos most of them are copies of foreign products. But even that if done properly would be something to boast about.

Another thing is access to the manufacture of customised parts. We have no industry for that (or maybe we do but I am not aware as in the case of the ministry of science and technology)
I doubt nigeria manufactures common cylinder head gaskets talk less of more complicated parts. We need industries that manufacture the small parts that bring an invention/machine together.

Dr Samuel achilefu, a nigerian born scientist, is currently being awarded the St Louis award for inventing Cancer Visualizing glasses. He might have thought of the concept here in Nigeria but where on earth would he have gotten the basic parts needed to produce the prototype? Is it from that ministry of science and tekenologi you guys are advertising here? Pfft.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 10:18pm On Nov 14, 2015
5minsmadness:
U guys grossly underestimate the "negativity" factor. The negativity factor along with the discouraging environment we find ourselves in as Nigerians makes it very difficult for any budding scientist to thrive.

A scientist/inventor comes up with a novel idea and manages to build a prototype and present it to the media. The first thing everybody sees is - - it was invented by a nigerian in Nigeria- - therefore it will not work.

Now this may appear like a simple case of "believe in yourself" but by the time u take into consideration the crowd mentality and the sheer force of thier "negativity pressure" of it won't work, you can't do it, your american mates are making better, you are a fool, etc. The inventor is almost literally beaten to the ground. The invention never sees the light of day and is thrown in the rubbish heap.

I'm not even going to talk about the authenticity of the inventions cos most of them are copies of foreign products. But even that if done properly would be something to boast about.

Another thing is access to the manufacture of customised parts. We have no industry for that (or maybe we do but I am not aware as in the case of the ministry of science and technology)
I doubt nigeria manufactures common cylinder head gaskets talk less of more complicated parts. We need industries that manufacture the small parts that bring an invention/machine together.

Dr Samuel achilefu, a nigerian born scientist, is currently being awarded the St Louis award for inventing Cancer Visualizing glasses. He might have thought of the concept here in Nigeria but where on earth would he have gotten the basic parts needed to produce the prototype? Is it from that ministry of science and tekenologi you guys are advertising here? Pfft.

GBAM!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 14, 2015
hahn:

yepa! who said that? shocked
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 10:35pm On Nov 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
yepa! who said that? shocked

The same guy who said, "don't ask questions, have faith. Believe"
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 14, 2015
5minsmadness:

okay/ lemme GBAM this first. grin grin

however, consider the crocodile browser. it is a nigerian invention. no doubt. but it didn't get reacted to like the others. why do you think this is so?
because the people that designed it actually took their time to make something worthwhile. they have been praised by many sources. not just nigerians. but even foreigners. while we're at that we might also consider jumia, konga, jobberman, nairaland, and the rest.

however, i will want you to notice one startling similarity. all these innovations consist of intangible products. they're services. of course. but more importantly, they are not 'engines' or "machines" that need parts to work. this has led me to believe that nigerians perform best when they're not actually building stuff but designing it. not because they're lazy. but the kind of materials which are available to them. which is why i emphasized on design in my first post. angel investors are all over the internet. if you put up a really good presentation, nigerians will actually support you.

now, assume all those ridiculous prototypes we see daily on nairaland are accompanied by videos of them working, as well as a CGI animation of what they are working towards, i bet you a lot of money that the hateful and negative comments will significantly reduce.

i've seen this in action. pakingzzz once made a thread in which he claimed he had conceived a machine which could build houses. nigerians came and ridiculed him. it's all on page one. but then he started explaining himself and what he was actuallly intending to do. by the third page . . . haters don reduce sotay. grin . . . same with most of his other threads. goes to show that we can actually beat the negativity. cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 14, 2015
hahn:

The same guy who said, "don't ask questions, have faith. Believe"
hehehe. i think i have an idea of who that is.

i think we all know just how foolish he was then. so no need for evaluation. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by hahn(m): 10:53pm On Nov 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
hehehe. i think i have an idea of who that is.

i think we all know just how foolish he was then. so no need for evaluation. grin

Sharp wink
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Slimzjoe(m): 11:21pm On Nov 14, 2015
Err...How Many Nigerian Aspiring Scientists still think about an invention these days? cry

Especially when Jamb and UME continuously Crush Your Dreams cry

What am I even Saying undecided

Methinks that very Few people still Dream about inventions in this part of the world where our Main Struggle is to Graduate from a University or Polytechnic and start making Enough money to build yourself a house in the village and get married angry angry Not forgetting, Funding the Education of younger ones in the Family.

The Nigerian Government have too much on there Table to Think about Science and Technology. The only way forward I see, is Re-Orientation of Our Citizens Especially our Parents to see the importance and Also a Re-constructuring of our Education System.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Dekatron(m): 8:37am On Nov 15, 2015
Teempakguy:
well,

1. a physicist.
2. a biochemist.
3. a computer scientist.
4. a concept artist.
5. a mathematician.

#peace.

johnydon22, dekatron, robinhez, queed, slimzjoe, acorntree, dearpreye

hahn . . . i can see you oh. grin oyah come and talk. cheesy

hehehehehehehehehehehehe

Teemu, well. As usual, nice one there. However, like hahn said, you need somebody that is business oriented.

Okay Guys, I am more of a BUSINESS-ENGINEER (No, I don't know Science. undecided undecided undecided ). As such, I don't really pay attention to INVENTING. I prefer learning how the invention works, IMPROVE ON IT, and make some money- atleast what I believe in. . . Not all smart person can be an inventor nah!!

As we are in the Nairaland science/technology community, I am telling you guys I am starting a tech startup. Providing services, rather than invention. From Smart Watches to Vending Machines,providing more ease of viewing lectures (Nigerian students understand).

Its endless!! This is my belief. However, teem, you are right. The govt is not helping. Imagine that we have Ministry of science and technology and we don't feel it. . . . I feel infuriated!!

Robinhez, you are wrong. A team of SCIENTISTS develop an idea. An Electrical engineer can have an idea of a Robot, he needs a mechanical engineer for the parts, a computer scientist for the advanced programming/Algorithms, a metallurgical to develop special metal needed, a physicist for the calculation of Fluid forces (Fluid Mechanics), himself for the Electrical wiring, AND SO ON!! Its a thing to have an idea, it takes a team to perfect it. Capische?

I hope the new minister will be better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by Feraz(m): 9:19pm On Nov 15, 2015
5minsmadness:

There are some people who do such somewhere in Eastern Nigeria but trust Nigerians to scream 'Aba made'.
Re: Science And Technology In Nigeria:the Way Forward by jnichole(m): 9:43pm On Nov 15, 2015
this is my first topic as a nairalander i wanted to do something worthwhile while i wait for admission i want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone that contributed to this post watch out for more of my posts peace am out winkthis is my first topic as a nairalander i wanted to do something worthwhile while i wait for admission i want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone that contributed to this post watch out for more of my posts peace am out

(1) (2) (Reply)

Power Inverters! / BREAKING: The World's Rarest Zebra, Tira, Spotted In Kenya (Pictures) / Alt Power Solution : Solar, Inverter, Battery, Training And Orientation Prog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.