Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos (2876 Views)

Strange And Funny Meanings Of Some Yoruba Names In Igbo. / 6 Most Crazy African Pictures [amazing Photos] / 15 Most Hilarious Nigerian Starter Packs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 14, 2015
If you get aboard a Lagos bus and after a while you hear the conductor call out “under!”, “Killer!”, ” Masha!” don’t panic, it is not the beginning of madness, he is just calling out bus-stops; so where is your stop? There are so many humorous things that take place while traveling on a Lagos commercial bus, certain things that happen or that are said, are just enough to keep you laughing if you take a second thought at them. For me the bus-stops in Lagos and the way these conductors call them out, gets me laughing always. So you have bus-stop like “Westminster” pronounced as “West Minister” and you can’t but laugh to tears. There many more bus-stops which i find funny, either in their pronunciation or in the meaning of their names as it were. Perhaps I should give you some heads-up, every major landmark in Lagos eventually is used as a bus- stop, and in the case of no major building/edifice; then the nearest Iroko tree becomes the bus-stop for the area. This theory holds majorly for residents in the mainland, as the Lagos-Island tends to have a good number bus-stops with straight names. Without spoiling the fun, here are some of the craziest and funniest names i have found of the lot that exist around the Lagos megalopolis. Come “along”, yes, ‘along’ is yet another bus-stop’s name. READ ALSO: Top 10 Worst Things About Living In Lagos Cemetery bus stop There are so many cemetery bus- stops across Lagos. The simple rationale for the bus-stop name, being that the cemetary located around the corner is about the most popular place to reckon with within the area. Seriously, I mean, how can you say you live at “Cemetery bus stop”? Moshalashi Moshalashi means mosque, and there are major mosques in virtually every part of Lagos. You can rarely go to on any Local government are which doesn’t have a Moshalashi- bus stop. Mechanic bus stop There is one just after Okokomiko and like the other bus-stops, just for the mere fact that a group of automobile mechanics make one spot their workshop, it automatically becomes a bus-stop. Tell me, what can be easier to describe than a group of men with shirts soiled with so much grease. Abattoir I asked someone recently, where do you live and he said “abattoir” and I could not hold back my laughter, apparently he was referring to the popular bus-stop around the Abule Egba area of Lagos, where the Lagos abattoir is located. Church bus stop- Along Mile 2 The name says it all, you can already guess what inspired this bus-stop located along Agboju Mile 2 (Badagry expressway). [b]Coconut bus stop- Along Mile 2[ The presence of a long row of coconut trees gave rise to the name of this bus-stop located on your way to Mile 2. Infact, you will hear the conductors call out “Mile-2 Coconut!”, on their trips from Oshodi through iyana-isolo and down past Cele-bus stop. Cele bus stop- Along Mile 2 Lagosians have an abbreviation for the Celestial churches, and that is “Cele” and that is the concept behind naming this bus-stop after some celestial church within. Takuti Jesu- Ajah It remains somewhat unclear to me why this bus-stop was named “Taku ti Jesu”, a name which basically means never letting go of Jesus. Perhaps some new form of admonition, so don’t let go till you get what you want. Somebody, must have read Jacob’s story. Mongoro- Along Oshodi- Egbeda road Now this is one very funny one. Just like coconut, this is supposed to be Mango bus-stop, but the conductors never fail to call it “mongoro”, I can’t forget how much i laughed the first time I deciphered it. Ile-epo- Along Ejigbo-Ikotun road Just along the Ejigbo-Ikotun road, is this bus-stop whose name is derived from the mere fact that a “filling-station” ( fuel station) is sited there. Ile-epo literally mean, house-of-oil (a gas station). 7/8- Along Airport Road For as long as I have known this bus-stop, it has fascinated me, as I have tried tirelessly to solve the maths behind its name. Please if you have a clue, then let us know. Same goes for the bus-stop named 23-24. Onigbongbo- Maryland In all honesty, I can tell you for real what the name entail. However, I am more concerned with the way it sounds when pronounced. Go on, try it, O-ni-gbon-gbo. Don’t bite your tongue. Onipanu- Along Yaba-Ikorodu road Unlike Onigbongo, I think Onipanu means some one who trades in aluminum and building materials. So you can be sure that there is/ was a popular “onipanu” to earn it a place as a popular bus-stop in Lagos. Alakara bus stop If you understand yoruba well enough, then you will understand that this bus-stop was named after someone, who most likely is a woman that sells “bean-cakes” locally called “akara”. Ogolonto- Ikorodu area Like O-ni-gbon-gbo, I know little of O-go-lon-to, I can only say that it is located along the famous Ikorodu road. Ogolonto just has a peculiar way it
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by drizslim(m): 10:58pm On Nov 14, 2015
Nice story

Pray make ur article reach FP

Otherwise all this copy copy na waste grin
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by jaymichael(m): 11:29pm On Nov 14, 2015
DUSTBIN bus-stop at Awodiora, oregie, Ajegunle-Apapa, Lagos. I know the origin of the name. There used to be a huge dustbin there where waste from Awodiora market was dumped and it usually over spill, covering much of the road. That was long ago, not anymore. Along the same oregie boundary road, three bus-stops from Dustin bus-stop is BANANA bustop. There is not a single banana plant there, not even a banana seller. The origin of the name, I don't know.
still along the same road, three bus-stops from Banana is a bus-stop called (guess-what) BUS-STOP. the name of the bus-stop is actually called Bus-stop
As kids growing up in Ajegunle, we used to fetch free water from the government tap situated there. Why that bus-stop is named BUS-STOP, I don't know and I haven't seen anyone that know.

1 Like

Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by Lolaabokoku(f): 11:34am On Nov 15, 2015
The first time I hear 'Rosho Rosho' wole pelu 50n change e oo,, I was like wtf? Lol,, not until I asked a passerby.. They were actually saying "Oshodi Oshodi" funny conductors
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by jaymichael(m): 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2015
Lolaabokoku:
The first time I hear 'Rosho Rosho' wole pelu 50n change e oo,, I was like wtf? Lol,, not until I asked a passerby.. They were actually saying "Oshodi Oshodi" funny conductors
Hahahahahaha! you no hear 'Rosho Rosho salijesha' ?
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by yorex2011: 3:56pm On Nov 15, 2015
Ogogoro bustop
Pako bustop
Cement bustop
1st and 2nd Rainbow
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by Lolaabokoku(f): 7:33pm On Nov 15, 2015
Mangoro Cement gringringringrin
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by PHAYOL81: 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2015
There's OLOJOJO bus stop @ Oworo.
AGRIC bus stop @ Ikorodu
ALAKUKO @ ketu
POST OFFICE @ Oyingbo etc
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by Greenbuoy(m): 12:06am On Nov 16, 2015
N o n s e n s e
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by flokii: 12:18am On Nov 16, 2015
Lolaabokoku:

I like your monicker...

fine girl like you.. why wan bokoku na?
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by Lolaabokoku(f): 10:44am On Nov 16, 2015
flokii:

I like your monicker...

fine girl like you.. why wan bokoku na?
e no good ni?
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by flokii: 11:04am On Nov 16, 2015
Lolaabokoku:
e no good ni?
E good jare..
make me sef see one babe wey go bami ku grin
Re: 15 Most Crazy Bus Stop Names In Lagos by Lolaabokoku(f): 12:05pm On Nov 16, 2015
flokii:

E good jare..
make me sef see one babe wey go bami ku grin
iyen na nice grin

(1) (Reply)

Lets See The Bold To Identify Their Month / Different Types Of Women When They're Pregnant (memes) / Joke: For Better Or Worse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.