Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,838 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:35 AM

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? (8300 Views)

Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? / Learn To Speak Ikwerre / Ikwerre Language Is An Edo Dialect And Not Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:30am On Nov 15, 2015
TellingItAsItIs:

although There was a relationship between igbos and igalas,saying anambranians are igalas is very inaccurate.
Although there are some indigenous igalas from anambra,it is incorrect to say ALL anambranians are igalas.
Anambra is the settlement of your ancestor ERI and the original ancestral home of all igbos before some groups migrated and settled in other parts igboland.
i'm from abia state and i respect anambranians alot and hold them in high esteem,we are all family.

My comments were in the form of assumptions but it doesn't mean such claims hasn't been made.
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by onila(f): 10:30am On Nov 15, 2015
and igbos dont have those crazy burials like Ikwerre grin

igbos are not wild like Ikwerre
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Nobody: 10:33am On Nov 15, 2015
onila:
the way Ikwerre men dress, have always been

the way Ikwerre girls dress these days like ijaw girls
Most of them were taught by their fathers to denounce their igboness for political and social progress in their own home,where they consider "an ijaw dominant region".
so they think becoming ijawnised will make them more accepted.they copy almost all SS ethnic groups mostly the ijaws and even the efiks.They end up having offsprings confused about their roots because they realise they bear igbo names,speak igbo language,wear ijaw attire yet say they are ikwerre.its very conflicting

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 15, 2015
onila:

igbos are not wild Ikwerre
Igbos should stop giving ikwerres attention,it makes them feel special when they aint even sh!t.
They are NOT igbo and will never be.They can be hausa if they likegrin.i'm really ashamed to be associated with them.
The igbos in delta on the other hand are amazing people,my Bae is one.grin
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 15, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

My comments were in the form of assumptions but it doesn't mean such claims hasn't been made.
i have never heard of such claims from any igbo person.
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by onila(f): 10:57am On Nov 15, 2015
TellingItAsItIs:

Igbos should stop giving ikwerres attention,it makes them feel special when they aint even sh!t.
They are NOT igbo and will never be.They can be hausa if they likegrin.i'm really ashamed to be associated with them.
dey are self hating delta igbos tho

like our coach - -Sunday Oliseh

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by jaymichael(m): 11:06am On Nov 15, 2015
onila:

I dont believe delta igbo is their official name in delta state
is just when referring to the igbiod pple in the multi ethnic state of delta
just like upland in rivers state
The way some Ignorant land grabbing "oloripelebes" think is just appalling. You migrate from your anscestral home and settle close to Igboland and quiet naturally you assimilated some of their culture and part of their language, dueto intermarriage and association next, YOUR LAND IS IGBOLAND good to be annexed to their phantom biafraland.
Their anscestors leave Igboland (seeking means of sustainance) migrated to your land, lived many years, next they say YOUR LAND IS IGBOLAND and they are taking it with them to Biafra.
The cliche they always use for their landgrabbing tacticts? IGBOLAND IS NOT ONLY THE 5 SE STATES.
If all the other major ethnic groups in Nigeria grab and claim the lands of other "minority" ethnic sub groups, won't there be anachy and chaos?
They are not the only ethnic group that spread outside their traditional anscestral home. Yoruba tribes extended towards North Central, South south, in Nigeria, Benin republic, Togo, Ghana, Ivory coast. Think what will happen if Yorubas try to land grab in these countries.
Three sons of Oduduwa established their kingdom in Benin republic, Popo, Sabe and Ketu, infact, the first son of Oduduwa (popo) established his kingdom outside The Southwest of Nigeria. These Yoruba tribes are Benin citizens who are 100% Yoruba like me whose father is from Ibadan and and likewise all other Yorubas in Other parts of Nigeria ourside the Southwest of Nigeria. I have never seen any Yorubas saying or claiming that Benin republic is Yorubaland. We have brothers there, who are 100% Beninoise, There are Yoruba kingdoms there, The first son of the Yoruba progenitor established his kingdom there, The Beninoises practice the same Yoruba traditional religion like sango, ogun (etc) worship, all these DOES NOT make Benin republic Yorubaland. We take them as our brothers, cousins and neighbors, there is mutual respect and understanding between us and that is ALL THAT MATTERS.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Armaggedon: 11:16am On Nov 15, 2015
onila:

I dont believe delta igbo is their official name in delta state is just when referring to the igbiod pple in the multi ethnic state of delta just like upland in rivers state
what do you mean by 'official'?
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Armaggedon: 11:20am On Nov 15, 2015
TellingItAsItIs:

leave ikwerre out of it. The op started it not ikwerre
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Armaggedon: 11:23am On Nov 15, 2015
jaymichael:
[s]The way some Ignorant land grabbing "oloripelebes" think is just appalling. You migrate from your anscestral home and settle close to Igboland and quiet naturally you assimilated some of their culture and part of their language, dueto intermarriage and association next, YOUR LAND IS IGBOLAND good to be annexed to their phantom biafraland.
Their anscestors leave Igboland (seeking means of sustainance) migrated to your land, lived many years, next they say YOUR LAND IS IGBOLAND and they are taking it with them to Biafra.
The cliche they always use for their landgrabbing tacticts? IGBOLAND IS NOT ONLY THE 5 SE STATES.
If all the other major ethnic groups in Nigeria grab and claim the lands of other "minority" ethnic sub groups, won't there be anachy and chaos?
They are not the only ethnic group that spread outside their traditional anscestral home. Yoruba tribes extended towards North Central, South south, in Nigeria, Benin republic, Togo, Ghana, Ivory coast. Think what will happen if Yorubas try to land grab in these countries.
Three sons of Oduduwa established their kingdom in Benin republic, Popo, Sabe and Ketu, infact, the first son of Oduduwa (popo) established his kingdom outside The Southwest of Nigeria. These Yoruba tribes are Benin citizens who are 100% Yoruba like me whose father is from Ibadan and and likewise all other Yorubas in Other parts of Nigeria ourside the Southwest of Nigeria. I have never seen any Yorubas saying or claiming that Benin republic is Yorubaland. We have brothers there, who are 100% Beninoise, There are Yoruba kingdoms there, The first son of the Yoruba progenitor established his kingdom there, The Beninoises practice the same Yoruba traditional religion like sango, ogun (etc) worship, all these DOES NOT make Benin republic Yorubaland. We take them as our brothers, cousins and neighbors, there is mutual respect and understanding between us and that is ALL THAT MATTERS.[/s]
yoloba man leave igbo matter alone. Boko haram is planing to bomb your enclave. Go and protect South West

2 Likes

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by jaymichael(m): 11:28am On Nov 15, 2015
Armaggedon:
yoloba man leave igbo matter alone. Boko haram is planing to bomb your enclave. Go and protect South West
Hello, Awayu, izda why we are yeah!
You ve been noticed, OYA BUGGER OFF.
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by safarigirl(f): 11:31am On Nov 15, 2015
jaymichael:
The way some Ignorant land grabbing "oloripelebes" think is just appalling. You migrate from your anscestral home and settle close to Igboland and quiet naturally you assimilated some of their culture and part of their language, dueto intermarriage and association next, YOUR LAND IS IGBOLAND good to be annexed to their phantom biafraland.
Three sons of Oduduwa established their kingdom in Benin republic, Popo, Sabe and Ketu, infact, the first son of Oduduwa (popo) established his kingdom outside The Southwest of Nigeria. These Yoruba tribes are Benin citizens who are 100% Yoruba like me whose father is from Ibadan and and likewise all other Yorubas in Other parts of Nigeria ourside the Southwest of Nigeria. I have never seen any Yorubas saying or claiming that Benin republic is Yorubaland. We have brothers there, who are 100% Beninoise, There are Yoruba kingdoms there, The first son of the Yoruba progenitor established his kingdom there, The Beninoises practice the same Yoruba traditional religion like sango, ogun (etc) worship, all these DOES NOT make Benin republic Yorubaland. We take them as our brothers, cousins and neighbors, there is mutual respect and understanding between us and that is ALL THAT MATTERS.
see guy, just shut your ignorant trap and stop making yourself look silly.

The only land grabbers are those who he refused regionalism and own oil books on lands that don't belong o them ancestrally People who continually wait for the proceeds from another man's land to feed themselves, without which thy would be hungry. Those are the land grabbers.

The Anioma blood in me is Igbo, the Anioma land I spend my holidays is Igbo, my anioma relatives are Igbo so once again, shut your arrogant, ignorant trap sh if you know nothing. any of is

6 Likes

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by jaymichael(m): 11:39am On Nov 15, 2015
safarigirl:
see guy, just shut your ignorant trap and stop making yourself look silly.

The only land grabbers are those who he refused regionalism and own oil books on lands that don't belong o them ancestrally People who continually wait for the proceeds from another man's land to feed themselves, without which thy would be hungry. Those are the land grabbers.

The Anioma blood in me is Igbo, the Anioma land I spend my holidays is Igbo, my anioma relatives are Igbo so once again, shut your arrogant, ignorant trap sh if you know nothing. any of is
Oloribu, wasn't it your brother Nzeogwu that led the first coup That also led your brother Ironsi to Abolish the same REGIONALISM that served us better in the first republic, which you now clamour for?
If Politics and history is out of your league, stay on Romance section.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Armaggedon: 12:08pm On Nov 15, 2015
onila:

igbos are not wild like Ikwerre
btw, you cannot be objective if you classify the ethnic group into 'Igbo' 'ikwerre' and 'anioma'

if your emotion permits you, dissect the group you call igbo, you will discover that even onitsha, ogbaru in anambra and oguta in imo are all anioma.

If you want understand igbo better, group them into ika, aro, anioma, ikwerre, izza, etche, ngwa, isu, ndoki etc you will see that despite the sameness in culture, each group has surnames and sub-cultures peculiar to it. Ikwerre is not alone in it. Like Chinda, amasiemeka are peculiar to ikwerre, ugwuanyi, asogwa are also peculiar to nsukka area but they are all igbo names.

2 Likes

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:09pm On Nov 15, 2015
TellingItAsItIs:

i have never heard of such claims from any igbo person.

Well,you must be new here.
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by ClassCaptain(m): 12:09pm On Nov 15, 2015
firstEVA:
because ibos are land grabbers yorubas are not

Nice to know you belong to Unilorin ...
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:14pm On Nov 15, 2015
jaymichael:

Well,hear it from the horses mouth...Yoruba has made claims to Awori,Egun,Itshekiri and some groups from Benin republic.

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by safarigirl(f): 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2015
jaymichael:
Oloribu, wasn't it your brother Nzeogwu that led the first coup That also led your brother Ironsi to Abolish the same REGIONALISM that served us better in the first republic, which you now clamour for?
If Politics and history is out of your league, stay on Romance section.
mumu....what about the recently proposed regionalism just 2 years ago? You want to now bring in military rule, have they not abolished most of the laws from that period?

You want to take us back to 1966, was I born then? were you born then? I'm talking of the confab that recommended regionalism a couple of years back in a democratic society and you want to drag me back to military era of the first republic

oloriburuku oshi, better go and update your knowledge. Nzeogwu indeed.

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by jaymichael(m): 1:14pm On Nov 15, 2015
safarigirl:
mumu....what about the recently proposed regionalism just 2 years ago? You want to now bring in military rule, have they not abolished most of the laws from that period?

You want to take us back to 1966, was I born then? were you born then? I'm talking of the confab that recommended regionalism a couple of years back in a democratic society and you want to drag me back to military era of the first republic

oloriburuku oshi, better go and update your knowledge. Nzeogwu indeed.
I know for sure so many are mad, many are raving, some are roving on the streets, some in the markets, some on nairaland. You fall in all of the mentioned categories.
This section is beyond your league, go to jokes and romance bimbo.
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by darfay: 2:28pm On Nov 15, 2015
tobtap:
because yorubas dont force or impose it culture on people...yoruba culture is unique,which is why it survived SLAVERY in north nd south america and became the dominant afro-culture outside africa... IGALAS,IGBIRA,ISTEKIRI,uhrobos,SOME IJAW CLANS have obvious yoruba influence but they are all UNIQUE CULTURES...yorubas see them as brothers(shared history) but not as yorubas

Wat mumu influence does yoruba have on d urhobos, I should have expected anything coming from a fulani slave who is is still pained about d loss if ilorin to his slave master

Nonesense yeye de smell
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by somegirl1: 6:16pm On Nov 15, 2015
Delta Igbo
The clue is in the name.

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by onila(f): 7:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
Armaggedon:
what do you mean by 'official'?
there is no actual name like delta igbo

its anioma, kwale etc

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Armaggedon: 8:29pm On Nov 15, 2015
onila post=lves40055713:
there is no actual name like delta igbo

its anioma, kwale etc
u get my point now. Those you refer to as igbo within the south east also have their individual subgroups like the ones you mentioned. Before the white men came , communities found it comfortable to identify as communities not as igbos, despite their shared attributes b'cos there were no external threats. Igbo nationalism grew in 40s and 50s because of the need to unite and protect igbo interest in the new nigeria. Hence igbo groups ( like ika, kwale, aniocha etc) accross the Niger became known as western igbos. It was after the civil war that Nigeria , in a bid to weaken igbos brought some igbo groups together in their phanthom SE and placed some(like ikwerre and etche) in the so called SS, using their sub group names as an ethnic name.

Really Nigeria is a fraud

2 Likes

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by onila(f): 2:32am On Nov 16, 2015
other Nigerians are happy to see these delta igbos and Ikwerre pple deny their igbo

less igbo influence in the Niger delta

2 Likes

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by toby2(m): 7:43am On Nov 16, 2015
am really gettin educated on this thread... Pls keep it coming, but no hate abeg... Thats the last thing we dont wanna do. Thanks
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by 1shortblackboy: 12:48pm On Nov 16, 2015
Just sick of this igbo-ikwerre threads. A man should be able to decide his identity without being shouted down don't u think ?

1 Like

Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by onila(f): 4:57pm On Nov 16, 2015
Its pro Biafran igbos that are worried abt Ikwerre

many igbos care less abt Ikwerre

and very comfortable with being igbo in imo, abia and anambra
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by macof(m): 7:04pm On Nov 16, 2015
TellingItAsItIs:

Their names are more similar to igbo than itshekiri names are to yoruba.
Most bear conc. igbo names eg chibuike amaechi while the rest modify their names to make it seem less igbo eg onyesom nwike=nyesom wike,nwanodo=wanodo,somto=tonto,nwaneri=waneri etc.
Your The men wear ijaw attires and promote the culture of others because they failed to carve a unique culture for themselves.if they had their own cultural attires and masquerades,they wouldnt need to copy that of the ijaws.
its very shameful.

Why would you say "modify"? Is dialectical difference not a chance?
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Eastlink(m): 8:17pm On Nov 16, 2015
JudgementHammer:
Because yorubas already claim AKOKO-EDO in Edo state. Simple
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by oyatz(m): 6:53am On Mar 17, 2017
I used to assume indigenes of Delta State who speak and understand Igbo language are Igbos until I went for NYSC and I saw a S/eastern lady discouraging me from such assumption that they most of the fellow corps members i have been regarding as 'igbos' arent true Igbos and this began my interest in the matter.
I have interviewed many Aniomas and I think majority are of mixed ancestry and unenthusiastic about igboness although they are some that loudly proclaim their Igbo identity and fewer numbers strongly resent the Igbo tag (mostly the Ika group, who are quick to explain how they are different from Igbos)
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by oyatz(m): 7:04am On Mar 17, 2017
Was Ogbakor Ikwerre convention of 1963 which defined Ikwerre as a unique and ethnic group forced to do so by Nigeria and was this after the civil war?
Why did the Ikwerres participated as a minority ethnic group and submitted petition to Willink commission of 1958 set up by the colonial government to look into the fears and agitation of the minority ethnic groups?

Armaggedon:
u get my point now. Those you refer to as igbo within the south east also have their individual subgroups like the ones you mentioned. Before the white men came , communities found it comfortable to identify as communities not as igbos, despite their shared attributes b'cos there were no external threats. Igbo nationalism grew in 40s and 50s because of the need to unite and protect igbo interest in the new nigeria. Hence igbo groups ( like ika, kwale, aniocha etc) accross the Niger became known as western igbos. It was after the civil war that Nigeria , in a bid to weaken igbos brought some igbo groups together in their phanthom SE and placed some(like ikwerre and etche) in the so called SS, using their sub group names as an ethnic name.

Really Nigeria is a fraud
Re: Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? by Cire80: 8:50pm On Mar 17, 2017
oyatz:
Was Ogbakor Ikwerre convention of 1963 which defined Ikwerre as a unique and ethnic group forced to do so by Nigeria and was this after the civil war?
Why did the Ikwerres participated as a minority ethnic group and submitted petition to Willink commission of 1958 set up by the colonial government to look into the fears and agitation of the minority ethnic groups?

They're quick to talk about how Biafra and Nigerian politics made people to denounce Igbo. Ika ethnicity has been identifying as a different ethnicity distinct from Edo and Igbo pre independence era.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTOS: South Africans Go Nude To Celebrate Africa Day / How To Treat Genital Warts & Prevent Them From Coming Back / Pagan9ja - I Want To Clarify Something For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.