Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN (22223 Views)

Boko Haram Attacks UN Staff, Kills 5 / Green Energy Spends N2bn On Electricity For Rivers Communities / Boko Haram Attacks UN Team And Soldiers In Bama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by midolian(m): 9:02am On Nov 15, 2015
The United Nations has reported that the Boko Haram sect spends as high as N2 billion to carry out terrorists attacks just as the Senegalese authorities have arrested two suspected Boko Haram female members with 500 million CFA (about N164 million) cash.

Deputy Director of Assessment and Technical Assistance for the UN Counter-terrorism Committee, Hassan Baage, told a gathering of West African Security experts in Dakar, Senegal, that the extremist sect’s annual budget was believed to be up to $10 million.

The Associated Press (AP) which covered the Dakar event quoted the UN official as calling for closer scrutiny of the financing of extremist groups, including Boko Haram.

“We must detect the flow of money that finances their activities and measures must be implemented to freeze the funds. According to reports that we’ve consulted, the budget of Boko Haram is around $10 million per year,” Baage said.

Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga, a special envoy for the African Union, said at the event that a stronger institution was needed to police and block the financing of extremism.

“The transfer of money through informal circles means huge amounts of money can circulate in these regions uncontrolled,” he said.

Boko Haram’s financing could come from crime cartels, false charity organisations and blackmail, said other experts at the forum on fighting extremism. Other analysts said the militants are known to have been paid millions for hostages, mainly French and Cameroonians taken in Cameroon, though Cameroon’s government denies paying ransoms.

Also, a number of suspects have been reportedly arrested in and around Dakar, the Senegalese capital, in the past two weeks with links to Boko Haram.

Two women, according to Premium Times, an online newspaper, were arrested in Guidiawaye, a suburb of Dakar, on suspicion of links to the group.

Officials say the women popped up on the radar of security agencies and were afterwards placed under surveillance after authorities intercepted their communication with a suspected Boko Haram fighter in Nigeria, who was confirmed to be the husband of one suspect and brother to the other.

Security forces also reported uncovering a consistent number of money transfers between the suspects and their alleged Boko Haram fighter-relative for months.

After their arrest, a search was conducted on their home and a cash of 500 million CFA Francs (about N164 million) was found in their possession, authorities claimed.

“The fact that such an amount was in their possession instead of being in the bank further goes to confirm ties with the alleged Boko Haram fighter,” a security source said.

Also this month, two Imams were arrested outside Dakar.

One of them was arrested in Ziguinchor, the regional headquarters of southern Senegal, an area known for its over 30 years of secessionist wars with the Senegalese government.

In Kaolack, another suburban city, hundreds of kilometres outside Dakar, an Imam was arrested.

The town is popular for being a base of the Tijanniya Brotherhood, and home of the renowned Islamic scholar, Sheik Ablaye Niass.

Authorities say the Imam, Alioune Ndao, had been under security radar for months as a result of his suspected links with Boko Haram.

“His sermons have been strangely inclined towards “instigating” his congregation towards Boko Haram ideologies,” the security source said.

Following his arrest, two satellite phones were found in his possession.

Security insiders said a scrutiny of the call histories of the phones showed consistent communications with suspected members of the Boko Haram sect.

In the capital city of Dakar itself, a young man was arrested for alleged links with the terrorist group.

Security operatives say their investigations revealed he was a next of kin to a confirmed Boko Haram fighter in Nigeria.

“He has also been receiving a lot of money transfers from Nigeria after the death of his brother who was fighting for the group,” one of the security sources said.

The Senegalese President, Macky Sall, told the security conference in Dakar that terrorists should not be allowed to “impose another form of religion” that does not “correspond to our traditions or our conceptions of Islam”.

Mr. Sall told the conference that brought together about 800 security officials and analysts from across the region to the Senegalese capital to develop a coordinated response to mounting jihadist threats facing the country.

He said Senegal must develop “a philosophical and theological discourse, training imams with a sense of a tolerant Islam”.

http://www.theheraldng.com/boko-haram-spends-n2bn-yearly-to-sponsor-attacks-un/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by chocolateme(f): 9:04am On Nov 15, 2015
They know so much facts about them yet they can't bring them to book permanently

FTC
Chocolate cream

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Firefire(m): 9:05am On Nov 15, 2015
you see...

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by midolian(m): 9:06am On Nov 15, 2015
#2billion is no small money. Shekau and his boys don't carry out any major operation that has to do with money. All they steal are livestocks, food items and all, so where do they get this kind of money from if not from some blood-thirsty ne'er-do-wells.

May woes befall their sponsors far and near.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by nwafuluozoh: 9:06am On Nov 15, 2015
So where does the money come from. Buhari please tell us.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by SeverusSnape(m): 9:07am On Nov 15, 2015
"We're winning the war" - B00HARI.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by DaBullIT(m): 9:08am On Nov 15, 2015
What's the informal means ?

Where's the money coming from /through
Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by SeverusSnape(m): 9:08am On Nov 15, 2015
nwafuluozoh:
So where does the money come from. Buhari please tell us.
He can't tell you, He's helpless.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3072821_img20150616081424_jpeged06aeebc3c8d045ccb5314fff22593b

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 15, 2015
This is where profits from our oil wells owned by Awusa end up.

Before any slave mentions me ask yourself this ;
Can groundnut fund this terror budget?

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by nwafuluozoh: 9:18am On Nov 15, 2015
SeverusSnape:

He can't tell you, He's helpless.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3072821_img20150616081424_jpeged06aeebc3c8d045ccb5314fff22593b
Haha haha haha grin grin grin grin
The dull.ard from da.ura is useless, helpless and hopeless.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by midolian(m): 9:25am On Nov 15, 2015
nwafuluozoh:

Haha haha haha grin grin grin grin
The dull.ard from da.ura is useless, helpless and hopeless.
And what makes you useful?

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by luvmijeje(f): 9:29am On Nov 15, 2015
One of the reason the President is heading the ministry of petroleum. Our intelligence agencies should step up their game by telling us the major financiers of Boko Haram.

5 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 15, 2015
midolian:
And what makes you useful?
leave the fool. If I begin to bash them now, they will call me a tribalist. See the name sef, "nwafuluozoh", you ll know he is one beast from the east, with no sense at the least.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by PRYCE(m): 9:56am On Nov 15, 2015
And they say Poverty is the root cause of this insurgency?

With 2bn, The sponsors might as well Form a charity foundation...

ISLAMIC IDEOLOGY sha...

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by SeverusSnape(m): 9:58am On Nov 15, 2015
PRYCE:
And they say Poverty is the root cause of this insurgency?

With 2bn, The sponsors might as well Form a charity foundation...

ISLAMIC IDEOLOGY sha...
That religion is a cankerworm.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2015

6 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2015
RevDesmondJuju:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2917491_1443710147577_gif25cc3d0398498e0fad53f29b7e7c1b5a
SeverusSnape:

That religion is a cankerworm.
seun, lalasticlala, I have been watching with so much anger and "pity" how these boys(most especially severussnape) attack Islam on this forum. I don't know why you guys have not been doing anything about them, but I want you to know the reputation of nairaland is at stake here. Please discourage this act the best way you can. Thanks

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Mogidi: 10:11am On Nov 15, 2015
Buhari increased it to #6Bil from #2Bil

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 15, 2015
JEGA01:

seun, lalasticlala, I have been watching with so much anger and "pity" how this boys(most especially severussnape) attack Islam on this forum. I don't know why you guys have not been doing anything about him, but I want you to know the reputation of nairaland is at stake
here. Please discourage this act the best way you can. Thanks

Why not just bomb nairaland

Ode

56 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by SeverusSnape(m): 10:20am On Nov 15, 2015
JEGA01:

seu_n, lalasti_clala, I have been watching with so much anger and "pity" how this boys(most especially severussnape) attack Islam on this forum. I don't know why you guys have not been doing anything about him, but I want you to know the reputation of nairaland is at stake here. Please discourage this act the best way you can. Thanks

See this pained mohammedan undecided

No matter what, we will keep exposing that demonic religion of is-ram. No peace for the wicked.

The truth is bitter, but you must learn how to swallow it.

Islam remains a cancer ravaging the world.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by SeverusSnape(m): 10:21am On Nov 15, 2015
RevDesmondJuju:

Why not just bomb nairaland

Ode

Nice one bro... JEGA01 go and call your fellow mujahideens to come and bomb Nairalanders like you did in France. undecided

Nonsense fool.

22 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 15, 2015
SeverusSnape:

See this pained mohammedan undecided

No matter what, we will keep exposing that demonic religion of is-ram. No peace for the wicked.

The truth is bitter, but you must learn how to swallow it.

Islam remains a cancer ravaging the world.

No mind that Boko jihad champion grin

[img]http://blogcafedissensus.files./2013/11/jihadrageboy.jpg[/img]

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by permsec: 10:24am On Nov 15, 2015
Shekau should be listed on Forbes magazine as one of the richest individual on the planet.

Shekau creating jobs for the jobless A.boki's since 2007.

7 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 15, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Nice one bro... JEGA01 go and call your fellow mujahideens to come and bomb Nairalanders like you did in France. undecided

Nonsense fool.

They are only concerned about the image of their terror religion

E no fit do nothing. Their nonsense will remain in their camp.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by bugzbunny: 10:28am On Nov 15, 2015
DaBullIT:

Where's the money coming from /through
Frm aso rock
Quote me anywhere

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by midolian(m): 10:31am On Nov 15, 2015
bugzbunny:

Frm aso rock
Quote me anywhere
you mean since Jonathan's regime? Or before then?

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 15, 2015
midolian:
#2billion is no small money. Shekau and his boys don't carry out any major operation that has to do with money. All they steal are livestocks, food items and all, so where do they get this kind of money from if not from some blood-thirsty ne'er-do-wells.

May woes befall their sponsors far and near.
Your Woes will never befall our amiable PMB who is the chief sponsor of .....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by midolian(m): 10:38am On Nov 15, 2015
PROVACATEUR:
Your Woes will never befall our amiable PMB who is the chief sponsor of .....
E-terrorist, you again! grin grin
Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 15, 2015
midolian:
E-terrorist, you again! grin grin
can you kindly talk to BH to free us plz. If I'm a muslim I would do same

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by midolian(m): 11:03am On Nov 15, 2015
PROVACATEUR:
can you kindly talk to BH to free us plz. If I'm a muslim I would do same
I can't believe you of all people will say a thing like this. I am Highly disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 15, 2015
Okay
Re: Boko Haram Spends N2bn Yearly To Sponsor Attacks – UN by wisdomguy4u(m): 11:11am On Nov 15, 2015
JEGA01:

seun, lalasticlala, I have been watching with so much anger and "pity" how these boys(most especially severussnape) attack Islam on this forum. I don't know why you guys have not been doing anything about them, but I want you to know the reputation of nairaland is at stake here. Please discourage this act the best way you can. Thanks

You sound like a moslems extremist, A show of intolerance. I believe if you have the opportunity, you would behead one or two of those attacking Islam on the forum. SMH

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fashola Angry With Enugu Legislators Action On Eedc / Ayodele Akele Is Dead! Ex NLC Lagos Chairman Dies / Taraba Speaker Confirmed Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.