Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,722 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

MTN Asks Nigeria To Let It Stagger Payment Of $5.2 Billion Fine - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MTN Asks Nigeria To Let It Stagger Payment Of $5.2 Billion Fine (523 Views)

Is The $2.2 Billion Arms Deal Fraud Really A Propaganda? / MTN Must Pay $5.2 Billion Fine - South Africa / UK Formally Asks Nigeria For Legal Assistance On Alison-madueke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Asks Nigeria To Let It Stagger Payment Of $5.2 Billion Fine by megawax8: 8:10pm On Nov 15, 2015
South Africa's mobile phone giant MTN has asked Nigeria for a plan to allow it to stagger the payment of a $5.2 billion fine just days before the Monday deadline, a source at the Nigerian Communications Commission(NCC) told Reuters.

The source added that the government was considering the request, made at a meeting on Friday between MTN and high-level government officials, and that the decision would be disclosed on Monday.

The NCC slapped the fine on MTN last month for its failure to cut off 5.2 million unregistered SIM cards.

MTN spokesman Chris Maroleng said: "We are waiting for authorities to come back to us".

Nigeria has been pushing telecommunication operators to verify the identity of subscribers due to concerns that unregistered SIM cards are being used for criminal activity or even by Boko Haram militants waging an Islamist insurgency in the northeast.

"At the meeting, MTN pleaded passionately for staggered payment since the option of reduction of the fine had been ruled out," the NCC source said. However, a source familiar with the discussions said that an eleventh hour reduction of the fine could still be possible.

"Until the final announcement is made, there may be some room for manoeuvre," the source familiar with the situation said.

Spokesmen for Nigeria's presidency and communications ministry declined to comment. The fine - if fully enforced - amounts to more than the past two years' profit for MTN in its biggest market.

The new communications minister, Adebayo Shittu, told Reuters on Friday the government did not want MTN "to die" or shut down operations as a result of the penalty. The fine is based on $1,000 per outstanding unregistered SIM card, as stipulated by Nigerian telecommunications laws.

Nigeria accounts for 37 percent of revenues for MTN, which operates in more than 20 countries in Africa and the Middle East. Since the announcement of the fine, its shares have lost nearly 25 percent of their value.

credits: http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL8N13A0Y020151115?sp=true
Re: MTN Asks Nigeria To Let It Stagger Payment Of $5.2 Billion Fine by Horus(m): 8:21pm On Nov 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaSL_BqXQE

[size=15pt]MTN CEO Resigns after company was fined[/size]
Re: MTN Asks Nigeria To Let It Stagger Payment Of $5.2 Billion Fine by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 15, 2015
I already suggested same on this forum.
Re: MTN Asks Nigeria To Let It Stagger Payment Of $5.2 Billion Fine by megawax8: 9:56am On Nov 16, 2015
lalasticlala , i thought OP means original poster

correct me if i'm wrong though

help delete this thread although twas created before the one on FP

and please i also want to know if there's a way i can delete a thread i created by myself

thanks.
Re: MTN Asks Nigeria To Let It Stagger Payment Of $5.2 Billion Fine by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 16, 2015
Nice

(1) (Reply)

Alleged N1tr Diversion: Lamorde ‘ill, Flown Abroad’ / China Signs Deal With Russia For 24 "Su-35"fighter Jets / Audu's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.