Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,217 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes (4376 Views)

65 Countries That Drive On The Left Side Of The Road. 1 Country Will Shock You / 12 Ways To Stop A Car With Faulty Brakes / What To Do If Your Brakes Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 9:33am On Nov 17, 2015
Have been noticing this, when am on top speed like 120 or 130km/hr and maybe I suddenly spot something or a car in the distance and starts applying the brakes it will look like the car is swinging to the left from the back, if am going on a low speed it doesn't do like this. I drive a Hyundai Elantra
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by chocolateme(f): 9:35am On Nov 17, 2015
Please dear stop using it for now till you get help ok? There are so many canals everywhere ok? This one it is shaking head happily from left to right. Park it my dear.
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by frankay430(m): 9:36am On Nov 17, 2015
Question 4 d gods
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 9:37am On Nov 17, 2015
law of Physics ; Newtonian Third law. Seems your steering is a little loose thats why you're experiencing the slight drift.
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by chocolateme(f): 9:38am On Nov 17, 2015
frankay430:
story 4 d gods
umu aka juru na nairaland

12 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by Bobbyjay001(m): 9:40am On Nov 17, 2015
I think the left brake pad needs to be changed urgently.
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by jejemanito: 9:43am On Nov 17, 2015
Village witches are at work

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by divinehand2003(m): 9:51am On Nov 17, 2015
Alignment has to be done

3 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by Eddygourdo(m): 9:58am On Nov 17, 2015
Exactly brother. I have been having same problems for months, Nissan altima 2001. I really now hate that car, I have changed the master brake and servo, brake pads, wheel hub, low arm, brake disc, servo tube, shafts, everything has been changed, wheel balancing, alignment every week still that same problem persists. Someone told me it's possible the chassis is bent since the car had an accident previously. Don't know. But I am really fed up too
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by austin4real(m): 10:08am On Nov 17, 2015
Possible culprit is an unevenly worn break pad. Get your mechanic to check that first
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 11:02am On Nov 17, 2015
chocolateme:
Please dear stop using it for now till you get help ok? There are so many canals everywhere ok? This one it is shaking head happily from left to right. Park it my dear.

Ahaha.. hmm but that's the only one I have to drive to work now
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 11:04am On Nov 17, 2015
chocolateme:
umu aka juru na nairaland

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 11:05am On Nov 17, 2015
austin4real:
Possible culprit is an unevenly worn break pad. Get your mechanic to check that first

Thanks bro, will do that ASAP
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 11:07am On Nov 17, 2015
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
law of Physics ; Newtonian Third law. Seems your steering is a little loose thats why you're experiencing the slight drift.

But if am negotiating a bend maybe a big round-about it doesnt do like that nw
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 11:08am On Nov 17, 2015
Bobbyjay001:
I think the left brake pad needs to be changed urgently.

OK but nothing is showing on the dashboard, I think if something is wrong it should show on the dashboard or what do you think?
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 11:12am On Nov 17, 2015
Eddygourdo:
Exactly brother. I have been having same problems for months, Nissan altima 2001. I really now hate that car, I have changed the master brake and servo, brake pads, wheel hub, low arm, brake disc, servo tube, shafts, everything has been changed, wheel balancing, alignment every week still that same problem persists. Someone told me it's possible the chassis is bent since the car had an accident previously. Don't know. But I am really fed up too

You mean it behaves exactly like mine too? Infact I also noticed that when I want to reverse against a sloppy land the gear will be shaking and making sound as if hand brake is engaged
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by femicousim: 11:23am On Nov 17, 2015
cbrass:
Have been noticing this, when am on top speed like 120 or 130km/hr and maybe I suddenly spot something or a car in the distance and starts applying the brakes it will look like the car is swinging to the left from the back, if am going on a low speed it doesn't do like this. I drive a Hyundai Elantra

take to a computerised alignment center

2 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by Bobbyjay001(m): 11:29am On Nov 17, 2015
It's not all models that display the notification on dashboard. You need an automedic to diagonise the fault. I can recommend a good automedic for you if you stay around Ikeja or its axis in Lagos.

cbrass:

OK but nothing is showing on the dashboard, I think if something is wrong it should show on the dashboard or what do you think?
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by chocolateme(f): 11:45am On Nov 17, 2015
cbrass:

Ahaha.. hmm but that's the only one I have to drive to work now
ok I have offered my own little advice, you can keep managing it since you don't want to commute, but that "SMH" your car is doing is not comforting.
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 11:56am On Nov 17, 2015
chocolateme:
ok I have offered my own little advice, you can keep managing it since you don't want to commute, but that "SMH" your car is doing is not comforting.

Alright ma,will heed your advice
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 1:11pm On Nov 17, 2015
Bobbyjay001:
It's not all models that display the notification on dashboard. You need an automedic to diagonise the fault. I can recommend a good automedic for you if you stay around Ikeja or its axis in Lagos.

I stay on the island sad
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by Bobbyjay001(m): 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2015
You may take it to Ikeja axis. Call Engr Muizz on 08053266796
cbrass:

I stay on the island sad
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by davo3286: 1:38pm On Nov 17, 2015
Op, just have a competent auto technician do, first, a visual inspection check on your calipers which is a major culprit. Now, since your vehicle pulls to the left upon appying brake then the right caliper(s) and hose need to be checked. Sometimes grease spilled on the brake disc as a result of CV joint rubber boot tear thereby reducing friction which in turn renders the brake ineffective. Accumulated dirt in the right side of the brake system can as well cause this symptom.

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 2:59pm On Nov 17, 2015
davo3286:
Op, just have a competent auto technician do, first, a visual inspection check on your calipers which is a major culprit. Now, since your vehicle pulls to the left upon appying brake then the right caliper(s) and hose need to be checked. Sometimes grease spilled on the brake disc as a result of CV joint rubber boot tear thereby reducing friction which in turn renders the brake ineffective. Accumulated dirt in the right side of the brake system can as well cause this symptom.

Thanks a lot, can I manage it for a week?
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by tunlasky: 4:34pm On Nov 17, 2015
cbrass:

That problem is actually elantra problem, I have also experience that problem, I doubt if there is a solution, just be careful
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by lonelydora: 6:36pm On Nov 17, 2015
Bobbyjay001:
Na wa. GAZAUZZ, i dey here so? they wan comot food so for your mouth ohhh.
Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by Mojibola(m): 6:42pm On Nov 17, 2015
cbrass:

Most likely bad calipers (sticking calipers). Get a good mechanic to examine both rear calipers asap.

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by cbrass(m): 9:43pm On Nov 17, 2015
tunlasky:

That problem is actually elantra problem, I have also experience that problem, I doubt if there is a solution, just be careful

Jesus shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by luvinhubby(m): 10:38pm On Nov 17, 2015
cbrass:
Most likely an accidented vehicle with a bent( no matter how minute) front beam and/chasis.
Second possibility is a bent low control arm( front cambar).

2 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by IBROHIM: 12:40am On Nov 18, 2015
luvinhubby:

Most likely an accidented vehicle with a bent( no matter how minute) front beam and/chasis.
Second possibility is a bent low control arm( front cambar).
exactly what I wanted to say! Guy check ur lower or upper arms! They are the culprits!

1 Like

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by Nyceguy92: 4:12am On Nov 18, 2015
[quote author=cbrass post=40107299]

Most likely your right brake isn't working.

The left brake is working and while it is slowing your car down on that side, the right wheel keeps turning thus pushing your car to the left.

You may have good brake pads but if your right calipers are not working due to stiff guide pins or blocked brake fluid hose, car will behave same as in worn pads.

However, if you experience some kind of swaying either in the back or front, your sway bar bushings or sway bar (suspension) links may be bad.

Solution is simple: have a mechanic check your pads, bushings and links.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does My Car Swings To The Left When I Apply Brakes by folajoy09(f): 1:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
IBROHIM:
exactly what I wanted to say! Guy check ur lower or upper arms! They are the culprits!

I concur. It could be the arm. It happened to my own car too and that was the symptom I was having before it eventually cut into 2.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Motorcycle Riding Tips / Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor / Toyota Corolla Vs Lexus ES 330

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.