Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,293 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend (1262 Views)

Photos Of The Man Killed At Onitsha Main Market / Policemen Drinking Beer At Onitsha Motor Park (Photos) / Female Corpse Seen On River Niger At Onitsha Main Market(viewers Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 17, 2015
As 2015 is gradually coming to an end, Saturday, November 14, 2015, may end up being one of the memorable encounters I had this year.

On that day, I went down to Onitsha Main Market with my Dad to see how I can get my Laptop screen, which got broken fixed. Our first point of call was a guy He knew before, His price charge was quite higher than what he expected, so we went to another place.

They searched for the replacement screen, a 13.3 inches small flex paper screen, and couldn’t find it.

We ended up going back to our first point of entry.

He dismantled the laptop, and went in search of the laptop screen. He came back with the same old story that he couldn’t find the replacement screen, as the laptop is now getting outdated, making the replacement screen scarce.

At this point, we decided it was time to just go and maybe check on Jumia or any of these E-Commerce sites to see if we could find anyone in stock.

As we were heading to the bus stop to catch a Toyota Coaster back home, we saw a sign board along the road that says “For Computer Repairs bla bla bla, visit third floor”. As we were making our way along that path, a Random hustler sighted us, catched up with us and asked if our mission involved getting a laptop repaired, we affirmed concurrently.

He asked to take a quick look at the laptop. After examining it, he concluded that we have to get a new screen for it with the serial number. He warned that not heeding to his advice and going ahead to get the screen replaced without a scan on the laptop, might result in making the replacement screen appear blank on the laptop, when the exact spec ain’t fitted and you have to pay for it, cox it is not returnable (all suggestions were lies). He further went ahead to say that the reason being that any other prospective buyer will conclude it is not a brand new screen since it has been removed from it’s packaging. The more reason why we have to first get it scanned according to him. Words were freely flowing out if his mouth like someone who is indeed an expert.

He told his accomplice to lead us to the office where the scanning will be done. As soon as we got there, the person in charge of the office, shifted his ‘Alumaco’ Glass and allowed us entrance. Before entering the room, he told us that the work is done for 20 Naira per Kilobyte. At this point I started becoming concious of something going amiss. Well however, I took it that if indeed he is genuine, the work might end up 50kb and I pay 100 Naira, then no shit happens.
We saw ourselve inside the room and we were told to take our seats in seats available. It is similar to the one you find you find in the waiting rooms of airports, just that it is singular.

His room is entirely different from all other rooms in the Plaza. Unlike other offices at the plaza, which looks ugly from the outside, there is an AC keeping the room chilled, makes you feel like you are actually in Miami beach during spring, with this strawberry fragrance that was emanating on the Desk, mixed with this soft hip-hop jam from the 90s never allows the thought of being welcomed into a scam office cross your mind.

He took hold of the laptop, plugged one end of a USB Cable into his laptop and another into mine. Note that tmy Laptop screen wasn’t showing. We just left him to keep doing his job. He copied the serial number of my laptop into his. Tho am sure it was never used and he started manipulating around some softwares which made it look like he was actually doing something real and legitimate.

The software was cloned MTN uprading and updating services. Notice the misspelling of upgrade. The theme color of the software is MTN yellow color.

After the reading the software report, he told us that the IC has just been upgraded that it can now accommodate the replacement screen. Lol. He started emphasizing on the number of kilobytes it took which happens to be 327 and of course it is a fixed figure. He then said that the screen type that will accommodate it, is “Dungeon Screen” (There is no such screen type, it is either a small flex paper screen or LCD glass screen) we now told him to write the screen he recommended for us, that was when he started beating around the bush. Saying that this is not what they write on paper. Already, I have brought out a handbill for him to write the recommendation on the blank side of it. He now brought out his Nokia Torchlight phone and started calculating it by the 20 Naira per Kilobyte he told us it costs. The result was 6540 that was just what he told us to pay, My dad dipped his picket and gave him 1K, so that we will just leave the environment. He ended up adding another 1K on top. As this was going on, his accomplice was telling us that even if it is half of the money, that we should start bringing and be pleading for it to be accepted.

At a point I garnered courage and started telling them that this is a scam that they are doing, do they think that am not learned, or I was sent to school to play truancy. How can an IC be upgraded Online? I asked. Not like it is a firmware or a software component of the computer system. It is a hardware component.

The guy was even saying that he was giving me the respect because I was with my father, that I can’t embarrass out there in the streets.

When we were inside their office, I noticed also, that they were deliberately avoiding our questions. Even as regards to things that relates to their services.

His colleague was asking my dad if he didn’t have up to the 6500 Naira in his picket, My father however ended up giving them 200 Naira. He was wasn’t happy knowing that he is just giving scammers hard earned money.

After going back to where his accomplice caught up with us, he ended up challenging them, and called the market security and got 1k back. He told me that he left 1k for the guys that scammed him out of what Nigerians would call “Church Mind”. I replied by telling him, ” I wouldn’t have done such”.

I have called out MTN Nigeria twitter handle, but didn’t get no reply.

Whether to get them arrested by higher authorities depends on your verdict. This thread is just to make you aware of this new means, anytime you are out to repair any component of your computer system.
http://starttells.com/2015/11/14/how-i-got-scammed-at-onitsha-main-market-last-weekend/

Re: How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by olafum1(m): 12:12pm On Nov 17, 2015
grin shocked grin

Sorry Op, next time focus more directly on d issue that took u to the market
Re: How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by Theyveedo(m): 12:16pm On Nov 17, 2015
B
Re: How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by Tunami(m): 12:40pm On Nov 17, 2015
Naija and 419 are just like bread and butter
Re: How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by Airforce1(m): 12:42pm On Nov 17, 2015
Sorry about that

Boiz aint smiling this days

Becareful next time
Re: How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by donholy28(m): 12:51pm On Nov 17, 2015
Welcome to d street...but op u fvcked up...one thing with me is that i ask questions,,you knew all they were saying was fake yet u kept quiet..u 4 question dem wella and they will know say u too na guy man
Re: How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 17, 2015
donholy28:
Welcome to d street...but op u fvcked up...one thing with me is that i ask questions,,you knew all they were saying was fake yet u kept quiet..u 4 question dem wella and they will know say u too na guy man
yo never can tell what's a new concept from the start of a biz deal, if you were never part of... Am not often in Onitsha, so my dad took me there.. He gave them the money at that point so that a scuffle won't result. He followed due process by now reporting them to the police.
Re: How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 17, 2015
olafum1:
grin shocked grin

Sorry Op, next time focus more directly on d issue that took u to the market
it was the same issue man.
Re: How I Got Scammed At Onitsha Main Market Last Weekend by donholy28(m): 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2015
Bossforeva:
yo never can tell what's a new concept from the start of a biz deal, if you were never part of... Am not often in Onitsha, so my dad took me there.. He gave them the money at that point so that a scuffle won't result. He followed due process by now reporting them to the police.
! reporting them good...but make sure they don't recognise u or next time u enter there u may be attacked and robbed

(1) (Reply)

I Accused My Boyfriend Of Rape To Punish Him For Sharing My Nude Pics – Teenager / My Experience In Alaba International Market / Priest Abadon Church Built By Bishop In Ozubulu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.