Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,468 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

If You've Not Read Apollo By Chimamanda Adichie Now Will Be A Perfect Time. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / If You've Not Read Apollo By Chimamanda Adichie Now Will Be A Perfect Time. (599 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / "Janelle Asked To The Bedroom" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If You've Not Read Apollo By Chimamanda Adichie Now Will Be A Perfect Time. by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 17, 2015
Twice a month, like a dutiful son, I visited my parents in Enugu, in their small overfurnished flat that grew dark in the afternoon. Retirement had changed them, shrunk them. They were in their late eighties, both small and mahogany-skinned,

with a tendency to stoop. They seemed to look more and more alike, as though all the years together had made their features blend and bleed into one another. They even smelled alike—a menthol scent, from the green vial of Vicks VapoRub they passed to each other, carefully rubbing a little in their nostrils and on aching joints. When I arrived, I would find them either sitting out on the veranda overlooking the road or sunk into the living-room sofa, watching Animal Planet.They had a new, simple sense of wonder. They marvelled at the wiliness of wolves, laughed at the cleverness of apes, and asked each other, “Ifukwa? Did you see that?” They had, too, a new, baffling patience for incredible stories. Once, my
mother told me that a sick neighbor in Abba, our ancestral home town, had vomited a grasshopper—a living, writhing insect, which, she said, was proof that wicked relatives had poisoned him. “Somebody texted us a picture of the grasshopper,” my father said. They always supported each
other’s stories. When my father told me that Chief Okeke’s young house help had mysteriously died, and the story around town was that the chief had killed the teen-ager and used her liver for money making rituals, my mother added, “They say he used the heart, too.”
Fifteen years earlier, my parents would have scoffed at these stories. My mother, a professor of political science, would have said “Nonsense” in her crisp manner, and my father, a professor of education, would merely have snorted, the stories not worth the effort of speech. It puzzled me that
they had shed those old selves, and become the kind of Nigerians who told anecdotes about diabetes cured by drinking holy water. Still, I humored them and half listened to their stories. It was a kind of innocence, this new childhood of old age. They had grown slower with the passing years, and their faces lit up at
the sight of me and even their prying questions—“When will you give us a grandchild? When will you bring a girl to introduce to us?”—no longer made me as tense as before. Each time I drove away, on Sunday afternoons after a big lunch of rice and stew, I wondered if it would be the last time I would see them both alive, if before my next visit I would receive a phone call from one of them telling me to come right away. The thought filled me with a nostalgic sadness that stayed with me until I got back to Port Harcourt. And yet I knew that if I had a family, if I could complain about rising school fees as the children of
their friends did, then I would not visit them so regularly. I would have nothing for which to make amends. During a visit in November, my parents talked about the increase in armed robberies all over the east. Thieves, too, had to prepare for Christmas. My mother told me how a vigilante mob in Onitsha had caught
some thieves, beaten them, and torn off their clothes—how old tires had been thrown over their heads like..............PLEASE CLICK the link to read completely.
https://bcsquareblog./2015/09/27/apollo-by-chimamada-ngozi-adichie/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Want To Earn $$ From Your Articles & Poetry Visit DUKETUNDESBLOG Now / Not Funny!!! - Story By Melony / Something new in Support Of The Recent UNIPORT ALUTA Struggle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.