Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life (1361 Views)

Freaky Deaths, Bizarre Ways That People Have 'kicked The Bucket'(Photos) / Quotes About Life To Inspire And Motivate You (photos) / Some Of The Most Motivating And Inspiring Quotes About Life(Photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by Taiye4Christ(m): 11:53am On Nov 18, 2015
Many of us young people like to shield ourselves from reality. Consciously or unconsciously, we delude ourselves into believing things that really aren't feasible, either to make ourselves happy or just to numb the harshness of the truth. Like many other people, I also thought that, by the time I reached a particular point in my life, everything would have aligned itself how I measured and calculated it when I was younger. Sadly, I was terribly mistaken. You know those unrealistic things we believe about life when we are young, and then, as we get older, we start to
realise that those were really just a load of crap? Yeah, those ones.

Here are a few misconceptions about life some of us have when we are young:
1. I will “arrive” young
Many of us have undue expectations of ourselves. Maybe it’s the “aim for the moon” or “you can achieve anything” or “challenge yourself” campaigns our
parents force-fed us because we wouldn’t leave their tv remote and couch alone. I don’t really know. But
I’m sure that if “you can do anything” had any iota of truth in it, then every little kid in my Sunday school class would’ve grown up to be a doctor (it's true. We ALL wanted to be doctors). I’m now nearing the end of my youth and there’s no sign of arrival anywhere in the horizon. So I'm guessing it’s still ways away. But I’ll be ready for it. Truth be told, most of us may not “make it” in our youth. But, since we’ve been preparing for success for so long, I guess we’ll be ready when it comes.

2. I can do it all by myself
Independence is not as glorious as it seems. For a long time, I wanted to do everything on my own without receiving help from anyone, but I realise now that it helps to have a strong support network of friends and people you can trust. Life is hard enough without having to go it alone.

3. Good looks don’t matter
Good things should happen to good people, but instead, they tend to happen to good-looking people. I’ll
never forget what my mom told me about when she was young. She’s very beautiful even now, but even more so when she was younger. She said people
used to be sporadically nice to her, friendlier, and more generous. But then she got older and the niceness and generosity dropped to like 40 percent.
And she had to get used to not being picked first. We try to deny it, but good looking people have better luck than not-so-good-looking people.

4. I will get ahead if I do as I’m told
This is what we were taught in school- to follow the rules, do what is expected of us, and we’ll get good grades and everything will fall into place. But the
real world doesn’t follow rules, not really. It’s not like school where you pass tests if you study what you’re told to study and adhere to instructions. Sometimes, getting ahead means you may have to break a few rules.

5. I’m special
No, we are not special. Sorry. There's at least 20 billion other people who’ve been born into earth, just like us, and the universe is probably just someone’s
forgotten science experiment anyway. But, on the bright side, we don’t have to worry so much about screwing up, because who cares? We’re just a tiny
spec in a vast universe. So take the load off.

6. I know exactly what I want to do with my life
We think we do. For most of us, the plans we had in school are not what we wound up doing. If you feel
confused about what you want to do with your life, take solace in knowing that most of us don’t really know what we’re doing. We’re all just wading through life trying to figure ourselves out.

7. There is one special ‘soulmate’ out there for me
Hate to break it to you but there’s no such thing as a soulmate. There are hundreds of people out there who can fit your criteria for ‘the one’. There's the one you meet in school. Then the one you meet touring the world. Then there’s the one you meet when you’re
ready to settle. It is purely coincidental that you found the one you did when you’re ready to think of them as a soulmate. We can each have several soulmates if we want. There could be hundreds of people around the world who have those exact same fetishes and
characteristics and even features. Despite how much we’d like to disbelieve it, no one person is actually unique.

8. Forgiveness can wait
You know how people never stop offending you no matter how hard you try to stay out of trouble? I’ve spent a good part of my life being upset about things people did to offend me that, in my opinion, were completely their fault. I kept saying I’ll forgive them
much later (like when I’m dying of old age). But once I realised I was living in a prison of bitterness, it was time to let that stuff go. And I’ve never been happier. Forgiveness can’t wait. You need it right now. Once you’re able to let things go, everything seems to glow
brighter.

9. I will be happy when I am rich
Mine was “I’ll rest when I’m rich”. But this is the kind of mentality that could let our youth pass us by while we're busy obsessing about the future, thinking we need a certain amount of accomplishments under our belts before we can appreciate ourselves. More money doesn’t equal more happiness. Be happy now. Love yourself now. Life doesn’t get any more
pleasant.

10. Things will get easier with time
I used to think when I get older things will get easier. Biggest lie of the century! Things do not get easier. Not
ever. Sure, life changes. Situations change. But they never get easier, it's only a different kind of hard. You just get stronger (and used to it).

11. I’ll always look good
Not true. And the sooner we all realise that good looks don’t last forever, the sooner we can start getting used to the idea of collecting skills so we don't have to rely on physical appearance to smoothen our paths. What happens when you grow old and not so good looking? When you will have to rely on your skills and intellect and not good looks and charm?
I remember the story of a seventy year old man who gapes shockingly at the image of himself in a mirror,
wondering “when did I get so old”. He swears he’s at most 30. At least he has dementia. You don’t. Not yet anyway.

12. The cinderella syndrome
You know that one. That Disney hoax that you will meet prince charming get married and live happily ever after? Yeah, I bought into that poo too. Problem
is, as you get older, it seems less and less likely that prince charming is coming. And that’s okay. This is the
real world. There are more amazing people here than prince charming and snow.

13. I’m responsible for what others think of me
I used to be so preoccupied with what people think and/or say about me that my actions and responses to people became somehow channelled towards
maintaining a good reputation. I thought if I did what people considered the right things, then I could please
everyone and they’d all stop talking sh*t about me. This is far from the truth. You are in control of your
actions. You are, however, not in control of people’s interpretation of your actions.

14. Things will remain the same
I’ve never really been a fan of change. I thought life is easier if everything stays predictable and consistent. But things change. Things will never be the same. I didn’t realise this, so, when those changes started to happen, I didn’t handle them well. But I got used to the idea that change is the only constant in life. And life got less confusing for me.

15. I know what makes me happy
For now. We still have a few more decades ahead of us. Our ideas of what makes us happy will change severally within those decades.

16. I can’t fail
We all like to believe we’ll excel at whatever we do. But that’s hardly the case. At least once or twice, you will
fail at something. It’s better now that you’re young, because failure gets les and less acceptable as you grow older.

17. I’ll grow up when I’m older
There comes a point in your life when you realise that being mature is overrated. For me it seemed like, at
that particular point, everyone expected me to start acting like an adult, and, since I didn’t really know how, I started to pretend to be mature even though, deep down, I was basically just a confused little boy. Now I know there’s no shame in keeping in touch with the child within. It’s how we stay grounded.

18. If I get a job and a good career, then I’ll be successful
Actually, a good job and a great career only gets you into the rat-race. Success isn't measured in terms of professional achievements alone.

19. I’m altruistic
It’s nice to think we’re selfless and considerate of other people. But, as you get older, you begin to realise you're just as self-centred as the next person. And it’s okay, because it’s human nature. Self preservation is our strongest instinct.

20. I’ve been through the worse period of my life
Dear life, when I asked, "can my day get any worse?", it was only a rhetorical question, not a challenge.
At one time I thought my life could not get any worse. I was wrong. Now I know that good times and bad times
come interchangeably. Fasten your seat belts because, as depressing as it sounds, life never stops throwing curveballs. But, on the bright side, there’s always sunshine after the rain (cliché but no less true). At least before the next downpour.

Source:
http://www.queenogbajeblog.com/20-misconceptions-young-people-have-about-life/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by lolu007(m): 11:55am On Nov 18, 2015
True except 5 you can really be special if you know what you have got. Notable example is Micheal Jackson
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by Highcuerayte: 11:58am On Nov 18, 2015
End time post
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by Highcuerayte: 11:59am On Nov 18, 2015
lolu007:
True except 5 you can really be special if you know what you have got. Notable example is Micheal Jackson
Yoi dey mind the brainwashed OP writing from his isolated room of limitation.

1 Like

Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by Highcuerayte: 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2015
lolu007:
You dey mind the brainwashed OP writing from his isolated room of limitation.
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by Taiye4Christ(m): 12:16pm On Nov 18, 2015
lolu007:

Thanks.... Not entirely my thought. Just came across it on a blog and felt like sharing. So, I may also not agree with all statements made there. But generally, and to a large extent, they are true.
Anyways, thanks for stopping by
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by Taiye4Christ(m): 12:16pm On Nov 18, 2015
Highcuerayte:
Yoi dey mind the brainwashed OP writing from his isolated room of limitation.

Highly ignored
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by Highcuerayte: 12:20pm On Nov 18, 2015
Taiye4Christ:

Highly ignored
You are highly irrelevant and lacks evaluation on contemporary things. What you wrote up there needs a little excoriation to proves it's authenticity and genuineness. FYI We can't all see things the same way neither can we think alike. PEACE
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by Taiye4Christ(m): 12:28pm On Nov 18, 2015
Highcuerayte:
You are highly irrelevant and lacks evaluation on contemporary things. What you wrote up there needs a little excoriation to proves it's authenticity and genuineness. FYI We can't all see things the same way neither can we think alike. PEACE

lipsrsealed
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by wahles(m): 1:43pm On Nov 18, 2015
Nice piece
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by lolu007(m): 3:05pm On Nov 18, 2015
Taiye4Christ:

Thanks.... Not entirely my thought. Just came across it on a blog and felt like sharing. So, I may also not agree with all statements made there. But generally, and to a large extent, they are true.
Anyways, thanks for stopping by
welm bro
Re: 20 Misconceptions Young People Have About Life by sinceraconcept(m): 7:23pm On Jul 16, 2016
My grandaddy died a cutie,Buhari is cute. Stop comparing white men with blacks and stop copying anyhow from white people's blogs.m I know many cute old men joor. Sheikh Niyass from Khaolaq was a very handsome old man.
Lots of people are special. Starting from prophet Muhammad,now we have good doers,talented people,etc

(1) (Reply)

How To Earn Up To 300$ Daily Online / That Moment The Evil Spirit In The River Needs Your Car As Their Official Car / {hottest} Glo Cheapest Data Plan June 2016: Get 2gb, 6gb, 10gb, 12gb, 18gb, 24gb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.