Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Undelivered Letters - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Undelivered Letters (697 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Undelivered Letters by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 20, 2009
My world is an Island and I am the only inhabitant.

I have no idea of when my story began. Few memories of my infancy are stored in my mind. I have flashes from time to time but they are mere blurred images with no shape or substance. Many times I have tried to recollect, but so many times I have failed to detect. My Island is drowning and no one can hear me. The waters capture my howls and seize my strength. I long so much for a savior, but how can he hear, when I am imprisoned in this insulated sphere?

- I am moving to England.

That night I felt so ashamed of myself. My supposed lover was going away from me and I didn’t feel more pain as that felt by a friend’s departure. Why didn’t I cry, pleading him to stay with me? Why didn’t I hold him tight to seize any movement that could cause a separation? Why didn’t I feel worse and why aren’t I still feeling so today?

- Here we are Sarah.
- Nick, I really wish you good luck and a safe journey. I’ll call you and you can call me too.
- I’ll miss you.
- Me too.

The last embrace before the separation. Not a kiss nor a caress, but just a friendly hug. Nick is gone but yet her heart is in peace.

- Let’s go and eat something.
- I’d rather go home. But you can take Theodore along, Aya. I am sure he needs more company than I do. Take care of him.
- She doesn’t look happy.
- She has just lost a friend – Aya pitifully remembers.
- Uhm!…I doubt she is down because of that – Theodore objects with a tone of suspicion.

Lately the young lady has been acting strange. She has changed from the person she used to be. She has just declined an invitation only to go, all by herself, to get a drink at a nearby bar. She feels the need to be alone: she isn’t in the mood for any questions.

Steadily she approaches the road but fails to pay attention to a car darting towards her at an elevated speed. Before she can realize what is happening she is already half way and can’t escape the fatal impact. With fear in her face she desperately seeks help in the people walking by. The car speed is crazy and only a miracle might spare her the cruel fate. It’s a matter of seconds before darkness takes over.

Far away she hears a voice calling for her. It’s a deep and lovely voice. She manages to open her eyes to see a blurred figure holding her. She can feel the warmth of this person’s arms around her.

- You…have…me – darkness fall upon her again.

In the winter of my eleven years, I woke a morning to discover that I was all alone in this world. I had Ray and Mama, but I still felt I had no one. My world seemed so far away from that of my friends, that for how much I strove, I always perceived the extraneity from them and of course they never sensed how difficult it was to be in a world like mine.

I was found on a bench by Mama who adopted me a month after. While the papers for the entrustment were being prepared I was sent to King’s orphanage, where my indissoluble bond was tightened with Nick. Both had been exposed to the cruel reality that marked our life and made us “different”.

When Mama confided to me, still a child, that she wanted us to try and retrace my real mother, I couldn’t do anything than to nod in agreement. To make the search easier I was enrolled to a child agency where I began with theater and later moved on to television.

When I was seven years old, I met Ray: he was homeless. The first time I saw his eyes, I realized he was special. Ever since I have kept him jealously beside me. Considering my nature of a “savior”, I have never been able to remain detached from people’s pains. Independently from the fact that I liked the person or not, I always did my best to help them. I liked Ray from the very first time I saw him and on a Mama’s novel inspiration I proposed he became my manager, my boyfriend and my “kept-man”. He accepted and for the first time, I became aware of the word “possession”.

While I was busy keeping up with my promise, Nick had followed my foot steps and had gained a large popularity in fashion, TV series and shows. His physical traits had helped him a lot. He was so “different” from us and people loved what looked exotic.

I lived happy and cheerful days until I discovered that Ray was never going to be mine as I had always thought. In fact, an old flame, the love of his life, had shown up: Asia. More than for the embarrassment of having misunderstood his true feelings, I suffered most for the loss of my only possession.

Towards the summer of my eleven years, Mama decided that the moment we made our story public had arrived. Even this time I was unable to stand my ground and all I could do was set up a good defense against the mass medias. The situation revealed itself to be tougher than I thought. We all lost control. For the first time Ray openly questioned Mama about her choices which involved me and for the very first time I allowed my mother to see me in tears. In that very moment I stopped being the cheerful little girl I was known to be. Despite Nick had intervened declaring he was also a foundling, to take the undesired attentions away from me, I was never the same again. His jest, however, obtained a positive result: it tightened the bond between us. We both shared the same “secret”.

I met my biological mother and even found out I had a sister two days after the book was published. I never saw them again. They might have been the closest people to me, but Mama was my source of life.

Now, I am in my twenties: a new adult. I am still an actress. I still live with my mother and Ray. I have a boyfriend. Despite having all this, I still feel so empty. What is missing?

Nick told me he loved me on a snowy Christmas Eve. He dedicated a lovely song to me. I’d have been heartless to turn him down. I gave in to his promises to make me happy. We officially became a couple five months later. Besides we acted so well as lovers that everyone expected us to be one.

In my primary school day, there was a boy whose name I can’t remember right now., He led a group of punks. They were notorious for getting into fights and committing robberies. After the diploma, however, none of us ever heard of him again. Theodore, who seemed to be the only one close to him, lost every contact as well. I have never met him, because our worlds were so different: opposite I may say. I trusted what I heard and what I heard fascinated me. He was described as a mysterious boy with enchanting eyes capable of intimidating the most fearless of all men. They were beautiful and deep.
Re: Undelivered Letters by Epi: 4:15pm On May 23, 2009
I really enjoyed your story.  Very nice. I didn't know u could write like that, hope to read more from you
Re: Undelivered Letters by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 23, 2009
epi:

I really enjoyed your story.  Very nice. I didn't know u could write like that, hope to read more from you

You are so sweet darling.! kiss

Yippieeeeeee, my first comment on Nairaland!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Nairalanders (your Honour Code) / THE PROMISE A Short Poem / My World of Poems. Come in pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.