Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,436 members, 7,954,734 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:10 AM

We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari (1972 Views)

Na Local Rice Buhari Dey Chop? / FG Bans Importation Of ‘I-Pass-My-Neighbour’ Generators / "I Prefer Foreign Rice"--buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by alcmene: 12:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday said the country can no longer afford to spend huge amount of money on importation of food that could be produced locally.
Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, puts the average amount spent on importation of foods and agricultural commodities at over N1trn in the last two years.
Buhari, who spoke at the inauguration of the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme of CBN, and the commencement of the dry season farming in Birnin Kebbi, Kebbi State, stated that Nigeria has to diversify its economy in the face of the fall in oil prices.
He said agricultural produce such as groundnuts, palm oil, cotton and rubber plantation used to be the mainstay of the economy before the discovery of oil. The President noted that the economy was built on agricultural activities while gross domestic product grew steadily.

Buhari said economic diversification was no longer an option, stressing that it was the only way to economic momentum and the drive to prosperity.
He stated the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme has the potential to create million of jobs for the teeming unemployed youths in the country, while it would also lift thousands of small holder farmers out of poverty.
Advertisement

Earlier, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbe while commending his predecessor, Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina for the innovation introduced into the agricultural system, said he would improve on the innovation.
Ogbe said though Adesina had very good intention in the development of agriculture in the country, corruption still crept into the sector under him.
The minister said: “People supplied sharp sand as fertilizer, while fake seeds were sold to farmers. There were companies with no traceable address.”

According to him, Buhari was very concerned about incessant conflicts between farmers and grazers, saying a new approach to grazing would eventually be introduced.
Ogbe noted that one of the challenges was to persuade youths to embrace agriculture but said the present government was already working this for the benefit of the country.
In his remarks, CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele said the apex bank was concerned about the high forex spent on importation of food items that could be locally produced.

Emefiele said the situation made the CBN to set aside N40bn from the N220bn Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Fund for farmers at a single-digit interest rate of 9.0 per cent.
According to him, agricultural commodities and food import bill had averaged over N1trn in the past two years.

https://www.today.ng/news/national/39679/we-can-no-longer-spend-n1trn-on-food-importation-buhari
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by speedyGonzales: 12:21pm On Nov 18, 2015
well, you guys stop growing rice because the was oil in the south! who is to blame Northern dimwits!

3 Likes

Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Xb4Real: 12:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
It has come to that point where nothing surprises me anymore about this government. I hope to hear very soon that ' We cannot afford the importation of gsm anymore'.

1 Like

Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by alcmene: 12:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
Trial on error leader......

The same clueless and inept man recently removed the embargo placed on rice importation

The pompous and helpless Duara dweller is learning on the job.....so much for the change chanters

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by ernesty20(m): 12:25pm On Nov 18, 2015
50kg bag of rice now sold at the rate of 11,000 naira. The zoo must fall

1 Like

Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Stemkay: 12:28pm On Nov 18, 2015
na wa for una o
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by hob(m): 12:30pm On Nov 18, 2015
Dunno y we shd import rice in the 1st place
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by jorlons(m): 12:32pm On Nov 18, 2015
I just can't wait to see the Agricultural sector spring up under this administration. It will be an achievement of a lifetime. Pretty soon there'd be no reason for any region to look down on the other. Slowly but steadily this administration will walk the talk to the shame of naysayers.
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by jorlons(m): 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2015
lalasticlala Sir, anoda food don ready or U don serve ur customers dis one before??
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by knuckbuck(m): 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2015
1983 is totally different from 2015! A lot has changed since then. Khaki no be same as agbada. E don dey show and we don dey see am.
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by trapQ: 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2015
I thought the clueless GEJ said we no longer import rice since we produce just enough to meet our needs. Clearly that was a lie.
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Herald47: 12:59pm On Nov 18, 2015
You want to stop importation of rice when we are still importing matches and razor blade even pencils and sharpner.

1 Like

Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Karanka: 1:00pm On Nov 18, 2015
This one na just mere useless talk to divert attention from the continuous merciless oil exploration till it finishes.
Wasn't developing the Agric sector and stopping importation of Rice part of GEJ's agenda,that he even matched up with actions and not mere policies? Yet this present government came in with their "I too know" and reverted that policy,and now they want to go back to it??

1 Like

Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by cowgirl9090: 1:45pm On Nov 18, 2015
This is a good development, it's about time our export exceed our import.
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by hoobs(m): 2:09pm On Nov 18, 2015
Herald47:
You want to stop importation of rice when we are still importing matches and razor blade even pencils and sharpner.
u 4got tooth pick
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 18, 2015
I thought this ediot was set to reduce tarrifs on rice importation and the APC zombies were applauding him?
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 18, 2015
Una see the confusion in APC?

Just last month the FG lifted restrictions on rice importation.

[size=18pt]Custom Boss Lifts Ban On Rice Import[/size]

The comptroller-general of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd), has ordered the immediate removal of rice from import restriction list and the re-introduction of import duty payment at land borders.

The public relations officer of Customs, Mr Wale Adeniyi, who made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja, said that the restriction was only applied at land border stations before now, adding that the customs boss had lifted restriction on rice at border stations.

He said that all rice imports through land borders by rice traders would attract the prevailing import duty of 10 percent, with 60 percent levy. Rice millers (preferential levy) with valid quota allocation would also attract duty rate of 10 percent with 20 percent levy on rice importation.

“Over the years, importation has been restricted to the seaports because border authorities have found it difficult to effectively monitor and control importation of rice.

“When the decision to ban it (rice) was taken, it was not an effective measure because the smuggling of the product thrives with people using different means of conveyance, including small trucks, bicycles and even animals – putting them on donkeys and some actually carry it on their heads.

“These new measures will be for Customs to recognise their anti-smuggling operations in the border areas and ensure that all those importers through the borders bring their rice through approved routes and pay their extant duty

“Before the ban on rice importation, Customs had placed different rates of levy on rice imports – 30 percent levy was placed on rice millers (preferential levy) and 70 per cent for rice importers. The purpose was to encourage local production.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/customs-removes-rice-from-import-restriction-list-at-land-borders/114013.html

And the APC zombies where celebrating this

AsYouSaid:
Rice had become a staple food in Nigeria. Rice comes easy and cheap to cook on the menu of over 80% Nigerians daily. If by this policy a bag reduces by 50% to N4000k, the general good of the general number would have been achieved and this is the purpose of governance. We cannot while wanting to boost rice production so that a few percentage of us (local farmers) can get richer allow the over 80% Nigerians that depends on rice consumption daily continue to suffer. Rice unlike cassava do not thrive in every part of Nigeria nor is it that best suited for our climate for ease of cultivation. The comparative advantage law teaches us to strengthen our main areas and depend on others in what they are best suited for. That we want to encourage Innoson to produce vehicles would not make us ban the importation of new, used, and spare parts of vehicle, cos we don't have comparative advantage in that commodity yet neither can Innoson meet the gaping demand. same way that local rice producers cannot yet or arguably even in the future. We should focus on our areas of strength and sensibly support this 'positive policy somersault' for the good of the generality of Nigerians. God Bless You and Yours.
Beremx:
ilekeh,frankly speaking, the ordinary man like me wants the price of rice to reduce drastically. I don't care how its going to be done. Seriously
Keneking:
Great...source

This government is working shocked

lalasticlala

Beremx:
E remain frozen chicken o! grin grin

I hope the price of a bag of rice reduces drastically. How can a bag of rice be sold for 5k at Seme and when it gets to lagos,it is sold between 9 to 12k depending on the brand? That's too expensive!

Nevertheless,the local farmers should not be discouraged. I still eat my Ofada rice anytime,anyday. cheesy cheesy

obailala:

There is an economic reason behind lifting of the ban; it will make money for the government. It is debatable though if this will affect local rice production positively/negatively. However, I will place my bet on this to positively help local production due to the very high duties presently being introduced.

Nigeria does not still produce enough rice to meet its local consumption, therefore, most of the rice we consume is still imported. Even with the ban in place, Nigeria still imports roughly the same quantity of rice but instead of the rice importers paying import duties to the government, they simply pay this money to smugglers. With the lifting of the ban, a lot of importers would rather pay duties to the customs instead of spending roughly the same amount as bribe to smugglers (who are mostly even customs officers). With the higher duties being imposed now, imported rice would still be more expensive and this would give room for competition for local rice.

In summary, nothing much has changed in terms of encouraging/discouraging local production however, the monies which hitherto accrued to smugglers would now accrue to the government.

Funjosh:
Long over due.

Segadem:
it is u that did not read the news.
pls answer these question faithfully

How many time did u eat local rice this year?
Don't u think the imported rice u have been eating were smuggled in?
Don't u think these smugglers enriched the labouring countries?
Oga Rome was not built in a day,before we can ban foreign rice outrightly ,let our supply out way our demand.

Segadem:
wetin u know self? the your "acclaimed self sufficient rice production" cannot feed Lagosians one day not talk of the whole Nigeria.
How many of these your self sufficient rice dhey for market?
Do u know how many tonnes of rice smuggled into this country per day?

NB I'm not against local production but when locally made food supply can not meet-up the demand of a nation,then why banning the importation ? that's criminal

Kagarko:
Nice and Great

This government is working

Nobody cares about the wailing of the wailers.

God Bless Nigeria and Nigerians.

These set of ediots I quoted above are the same set of fools who sold their votes for argebe iresi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
What will this fool do now?

Toks2008:

And the good news is that with this policy,the best type of rice i know which is "special" will be as cheap as 9k compared to the present 12k because now that even you can bring it in if you have teh financial power,competition will be welcomed.

I pray Buhari lives long to rule the second term.This man means well for us.
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 18, 2015
Berem will surely be dissapointed that her favorite grains will not be cheaper any more

Beremx:
"special rice ought to be cheaper than 9k sef. Honestly you don't know how happy i am about this news.

God bless PMB
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 18, 2015
wetin this zombie go yarn now?

BobUg28:
This is good I must say. The purpose wasn't to discourage local production. It's one of the measures to boast our IGR.

I'm in support of the move. Thank God for the policy. It'll help reduce the cost of rice in the market. Am a trader, dealing basically on imported rice; Thailand, Vietnam, Indian, and basmati rice...During the period when the importation of foreign rice was banned, it grossly affected our market price. But watch out now that it has been approved, the price'll gradually reduce.

CHANGE!!!
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 18, 2015
[size=28pt]So what are the mods waiting for?

This is FP material!

let the world see the stupid1ty of your average wavering APC zombie[/size]
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 18, 2015
demdem
gbawe
egift
orlandooworh
modath
make una come defend nonsense
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by teeboila(m): 2:35pm On Nov 18, 2015
ban rice, ban generator, we all suspect this with the reformation of the customs.

1 Like

Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
teeboila:
ban rice, ban generator, we all suspect this with the reformation of the customs.

It's 1984 again.

Govt of inflation, austerity, scarcity and hoarding.

Just last month this same confused govt lifted imports on rice and their zombies where rejoicing.

I dey here dey wait them grin grin grin grin grin
Re: We Can No Longer Afford The Importation Of Rice-buhari by BobUg28(m): 12:37am On Nov 19, 2015
RevDesmondJuju:
wetin this zombie go yarn now?

Feeling sarcastic

(1) (Reply)

Re-electing Jonathan Would Have Ruined Nigeria’s Future – Tinubu / Yemi Osinbajo: Suddenly, It’s Calm / Aso Rock Cabal To Take Buhari To Synagogue For Healing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.