Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? (3142 Views)

Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" / Tithing Is Not Compulsory - D.K Olukoya / Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
Is tithing really mandatory? Although I knw its importance buh I guess I just don't like the idea being mandated or obligated to do something. I can give freely no qualms. I know that when Christ came He abolished some old laws, emphasized others. Buh how bout tithing? I once asked a pastor n challengeed him and he promised to get back to me till date. I have been wondering, did Christ really emphasise it? Someone pls help, sometimes I feel like am jus looking for excuses. Let's check this please

Tithing, like other old covenant rules and rituals, was a law at the time Jesus spoke. Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness.

The only other New Testament mention of tithing is in Hebrews. The fact that Abraham was blessed by and gave tithes to Melchizedek illustrates the superiority of Melchizedek and Jesus Christ over the Levitical priesthood (Hebrews 7:1-10). The passage then goes on to note that “when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also” (verse 12).There was a change of the priesthood from the Levites to Jesus Christ, and this implies a change in the law that assigned the Levites to be priests. How much has been changed? Hebrews says that the old covenant is obsolete. The package of laws that commanded tithes to be given to the Levites is obsolete.

Humans should honor God by voluntarily returning some of the blessings he gives them — this is still a valid principle. The only place that a percentage is required is within the old covenant. There is good precedent for tithing before Sinai, but no proof that it was required.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by OCTAVO: 5:33pm On Nov 19, 2015
In my opinion, tithing is important. Though some people pay tithe, yet they commit terrible sins. Only GOD will judge.
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Barblow(m): 5:34pm On Nov 19, 2015
Hmmm...Yes! If there is no Old Testament, there can't be New Testament. Even Jesus said that what is meant for Caesar should be given to Caesar.
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Barblow(m): 5:46pm On Nov 19, 2015
Paying Tithe is an investment in God's Kingdom. If one invest rightfully one would reap bountifully. Within six month of my paying Tithe rightfully and completely God rewarded me beyond my imagination or wisdom.
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by McCarlito(m): 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
Tithing is Mandatory but directly paying it to pastors is STRICTLY OPTIONAL
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2015
McCarlito:
Tithing is Mandatory but directly paying it to pastors is STRICTLY OPTIONAL

So who do one pay to?
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by McCarlito(m): 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2015
Anyss:

So who do one pay to?
Tithing is not only payable monetarily... Helps rendered to the poor and less previledged are more glorified than monetarily paying to pastors....

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 19, 2015
McCarlito:

Tithing is not only payable monetarily... Helps rendered to the poor and less previledged are more glorified than monetarily paying to pastors....

Buh I thought dats called charity not tithe. I don't have a problem with charity

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 20, 2015
Barblow:
Paying Tithe is an investment in God's Kingdom. If one invest rightfully one would reap bountifully. Within six month of my paying Tithe rightfully and completely God rewarded me beyond my imagination or wisdom.
Tithing is not an investment. It is criminal to think dt way
Tithing was established to fund a priesthood dt was rendered obsolete by d death, burial and resurrection of Christ.
Stop using it as a betting scheme, abeg. I hv not tithed in more than a decade and everything is alright.

3 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Barblow(m): 3:26pm On Nov 20, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

Tithing is not an investment. It is criminal to think dt way
Tithing was established to fund a priesthood dt was rendered obsolete by d death, burial and resurrection of Christ.
Stop using it as a betting scheme, abeg. I hv not tithed in more than a decade and everything is alright.

Tithing is use in promoting God's Kingdom. It is what is use to make news of our Lord Jesus Christ spread to every part of the World. So not paying tithe id like working against this and not wanting it good news to spread across the whole World.If you are a good Christian or born again Christian you practice tithing. I would want you to practice the act and you would see that things would be more than ALRIGHT.
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 20, 2015
Barblow:

Tithing is use in promoting God's Kingdom. It is what is use to make news of our Lord Jesus Christ spread to every part of the World. So not paying tithe id like working against this and not wanting it good news to spread across the whole World.If you are a good Christian or born again Christian you practice tithing. I would want you to practice the act and you would see that things would be more than ALRIGHT.
Dt is quite literally absurd. Jesus said 'Go ye therefore and teach all nations...'
He also gave several parables abt wht d kingdom is like and how it propagates. Curiosly tithing was not mentioned to propagate d kingdom. It is not an investment. Tithing of money by the christian is d biggest fraud of all time and those who practice it are performing an exercise in stu.pidity

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by miqos02(m): 8:14pm On Nov 20, 2015
decide for yourself
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 20, 2015
Barblow:
Hmmm...Yes! If there is no Old Testament, there can't be New Testament. Even Jesus said that what is meant for Caesar should be given to Caesar.
Jesus was talking about taxes... Back to the OP, it isn't complusory, but if done, it will bring you mor prosperity than before.
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 20, 2015
SirWere:
Jesus was talking about taxes... Back to the OP, it isn't complusory, but if done, it will bring you mor prosperity than before.
It wont bring anything to u. God is not a gambler neither can u buy him. Show me a place where anyone tithed money in scripture!

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by abdulrazat(m): 10:49pm On Nov 20, 2015
In all this I noticed you are improving and your points were properly constructed than your early topics. I think you should stop abbreviating spellings and proof read before posting.
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Barblow(m): 10:54pm On Nov 20, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

Dt is quite literally absurd. Jesus said 'Go ye therefore and teach all nations...'
He also gave several parables abt wht d kingdom is like and how it propagates. Curiosly tithing was not mentioned to propagate d kingdom. It is not an investment. Tithing of money by the christian is d biggest fraud of all time and those who practice it are performing an exercise in stu.pidity

Those paying tithe are not practising an exercise in stupidity. Infact it is those that are not paying tithe that are stupid! Moreover, God called those that are not paying tithe robbers! (Malachi 3: 8-9). Also in the issue of been blessed beyond NORMAL read (Malachi 3: 10-12)
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Barblow(m): 10:57pm On Nov 20, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

It wont bring anything to u. God is not a gambler neither can u buy him. Show me a place where anyone tithed money in scripture!

Cain and his brother Abel first does when they were ask to offer the best out of their output
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Princewell2012(m): 11:13pm On Nov 20, 2015
Barblow:

Who is teaching you this nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 4:58am On Nov 21, 2015
Barblow:

Cain and his brother Abel first does when they were ask to offer the best out of their output
Cain and Abel tithed? How? Under who's instruction? Please, which of them tithed money?

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 21, 2015
Barblow:

I tot Tithe was 10%. Y r u confusing urself?
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 5:08am On Nov 21, 2015
Barblow:

Those paying tithe are not practising an exercise in stupidity. Infact it is those that are not paying tithe that are stupid! Moreover, God called those that are not paying tithe robbers! (Malachi 3: 8-9). Also in the issue of been blessed beyond NORMAL read (Malachi 3: 10-12)
Exactly who was God talking to in Malachi? Let me give u a tip: Christianity started after d resurrection of Christ

PS: when did tithing move from agricultural produce to money?

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by tommysparks: 3:45pm On Nov 21, 2015
Barblow:

jehova witness do not insist on tithe yet they have the largest evangelical network world wide only from voluntary donations, so I don't know where u carry this your scam teaching from

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 21, 2015
SirWere:

Woow. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 21, 2015
abdulrazat:
In all this I noticed you are improving and your points were properly constructed than your early topics. I think you should stop abbreviating spellings and proof read before posting.

Wooooow. Am all smiles now. Do you know anytime I want to post anything I just feel no one will notice. wow I guess I have to live up To my promise even if am already addicted to abbreviations. Thanks Abdulrazat
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Barblow(m): 11:10pm On Nov 21, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

Exactly who was God talking to in Malachi? Let me give u a tip: Christianity started after d resurrection of Christ

PS: when did tithing move from agricultural produce to money?

But people have been worshipping God and obeying His Commandment before Christ came!

As for agric produce, it was the kind of job the people do at that time! There was nothing like nacking tie n going to office.
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Barblow(m): 11:16pm On Nov 21, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

I tot Tithe was 10%. Y r u confusing urself?

Don't get it twisted! Am not confuse it is you that should get it straight. Giving one-tenth of your income as tithe is same thing as giving the best out of your produce!
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Barblow(m): 11:21pm On Nov 21, 2015
tommysparks:
jehova witness do not insist on tithe yet they have the largest evangelical network world wide only from voluntary donations, so I don't know where u carry this your scam teaching from

But there are many ministries preaching/spreading the Word of God than Jehovah Witness have been doing or done, without asking for a KOBO from the soul ministered to!
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by openmine(m): 11:32pm On Nov 21, 2015
No dear...its not compulsory and will no hinder you from been blessed by God..
Rather you should practice the gift of giving ...
But do not give because u want to get some thing in return..
be a benevolent in ur giving...
You have already been blessed to give...let no one deceive u into thinking that God is a kalo-kalo man cheesy
Give out of love not out of a weak and ended law...
and decide wat u want to give according to scriptures,for God loves a generous giver (2 Corinthians 9:7)

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by openmine(m): 11:39pm On Nov 21, 2015
All those saying the tithes are kingdom investments are either in error or pure scammers ..
..God's true kingdom investments are his children..
That you and me...we are so precious to him.....he is interested in us...not our money or inheritance
Thats the very reason why Jesus was sent to deliver us from the curse of d law!

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Nov 21, 2015
Barblow:

Lol, u people r funny.

First read Deuteronomy 26 vs 12 n Also read Deuteronomy 14 vs 28 to discover how much lies ur church n pastor have told u about tithe.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2015
Anyss:

So who do one pay to?

Read Deuteronomy 26 vs 12.

Read Deuteronomy 14 vs 28.
Re: Is Tithe Paying Compulsory? by tmamuda(m): 12:06am On Nov 22, 2015
No, tithe is not compulsory

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To Man / Today Marks A 10 Years For The Assassination Of Sheikh Jafar Mahmud Adam. / Worry Never Changes Anything, Prayer Does. God Answers Prayer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.