Stats: 3,154,539 members, 7,823,362 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

CBN Grants Wema Bank National License - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Grants Wema Bank National License (18555 Views)

CBN Grants Manufacturers Access To $660m / CBN Grants Providus Bank Licence To Operate As A Commercial Bank / CBN Grants Jaiz Bank National License (2) (3) (4)

CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Adesiji77: 6:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
The Central Bank of Nigeria has granted Wema Bank PLC national banking license. This follows the apex bank’s final approval to Wema Bank to convert from a Regional Bank to a National Bank.

In 2010, Wema Bank downscaled to operate only within its core areas of business – South-South, South-West and FCT Abuja. Now, the Bank with a capital base of N43.8 billion has met the regulatory requirements for the National Banking license as stipulated by the Central Bank of Nigeria. This historic event has made Wema Bank the first bank to be granted a National Banking License having previously operated with a Regional License.

According to Segun Oloketuyi, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Wema Bank Plc, – “This Approval represents a milestone for the Bank in the delivery of its Project LEAP commitments. Six (6) years ago, we took a decision to refocus the Bank’s operations on its areas of strength and build a sustainable institution. We took advantage of the new licensing regime and applied for a Regional authorization with a pledge to expand in the near future, once the turnaround project was completed. The Bank’s transformation was implemented in three phases; first to stabilize the Bank, second to prepare the building blocks for growth and third to go for growth. We are now within the third phase of the transformation project”

The CEO stated that the new license has created opportunities to scale up growth, and added that the Bank will continue to strategically select its business locations across the country with focus on areas where return on investment will be maximized, and shareholder value enhanced over the medium to long term.

“To ensure that this approval is leveraged appropriately, we are already in the process of raising $100m in Tier 2 capital and would commence a Tier 1 capital raise in Q1 2016. This will further position the bank to pursue its growth strategy. The Bank remains on course in its turnaround program as evidenced by its robust balance sheet and sustained profitability, which would be maintained through its national authorization”.

He expressed gratitude to the bank’s stakeholders, stating that the Wema transformation project has succeeded largely due to the great support received from customers and shareholders. “Our priority remains delivering delightful and memorable service to our customers.”

Established in 1945, Wema Bank is Nigeria’s oldest indigenous bank. Wema Bank offers a range of retail and SME banking, corporate banking, treasury, trade services and financial advisory to its numerous customers.

In 2009, the Bank underwent a strategic repositioning exercise which culminated with the Bank’s decision to operate as a commercial Bank with regional authorisation in South-South Nigeria, South-West Nigeria, and Abuja, the FCT in 2011. Wema Bank operates a network of over 135 branches and service stations across Nigeria backed by a robust ICT platform.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/cbn-grants-wema-bank-national-license/
lalasticlala, dominique

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Redoil: 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2015
too many clueless thieves from south west had foolishly mismanaged the bank since time imemorial. Compare
to the easterners. Thieftunubu and saraki comes to mind on how they finished intercontinental bank.

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by FREEEMANAN(m): 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2015
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by princeogbeide1(m): 6:59pm On Nov 19, 2015
Whts the full meaning of Wema bank? I couldnt see the full meaning in the info!

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by damton(m): 7:00pm On Nov 19, 2015
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by noetic5: 7:01pm On Nov 19, 2015
oya nah. E concern me?
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Mogidi: 7:01pm On Nov 19, 2015
I won't put 10 naira in Wema bank.
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by calliope(f): 7:01pm On Nov 19, 2015
Does dis help improve efficiency in wema?
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by yyeanqah(m): 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2015
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Decapo: 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2015
Congrats or wat shud I say??
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by mrlaw93(m): 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2015
Is d bank still in existence? Chai
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by lanetrips: 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2015
nice one here.that means job creation.......

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Super1759: 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2015
Banks are sacking staff and this one is raising her head
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by 20bc(m): 7:03pm On Nov 19, 2015
With no money in the country what do you guys expect people to put in your bank.....suya

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by dunsman(f): 7:03pm On Nov 19, 2015
fp with just 20 views shocked shocked shocked lalasticala am charging you to court
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by mebad(m): 7:04pm On Nov 19, 2015
porting my CV straight up

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by damton(m): 7:04pm On Nov 19, 2015
Good for them

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Dottore: 7:04pm On Nov 19, 2015
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by miqos02(m): 7:05pm On Nov 19, 2015
nawa oh, so oloketuyi has spent 6years as mmd of wema, how time flies
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by b0y(m): 7:05pm On Nov 19, 2015
This is the era of rebranding. Suddenly we see all the legacy Banks (Wema, Union Bank etc) emerge having noticed that they are losing relevance. The way now is RETAIL and all Banks are positioned in this regard. CBN has done so much good and bad within this space. Congrats Wema, hope you tap into this opportunity and sustain it.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Bambless1(m): 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
Next?
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Visman(m): 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
Good
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by BCISLTD: 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by kennyman2000(m): 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
ohhh boy yee
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by mrkels(m): 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
Finally
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by tpbehappy(m): 7:08pm On Nov 19, 2015
Redoil:
too many clueless thieves from south west had foolishly mismanaged the bank since time imemorial. Compare
to the easterners
I can't believe people can be this daft!

I strongly believe that not all your clans are this daft but yours is an exception

22 Likes

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 19, 2015
Wema bank na bank?

GTB I know
Zenith I know
Wat is Wema bank
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by joystickextend1(m): 7:09pm On Nov 19, 2015
Nice to hear smiley
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by ebonge1: 7:09pm On Nov 19, 2015
Who cares? Wen we hv GTB.
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by Speakdatruth: 7:11pm On Nov 19, 2015
Redoil:
to the easterners
ode ni e

Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by DENJIZZY(m): 7:12pm On Nov 19, 2015
I hope more jobs will be created...that's my own concern!!!
Re: CBN Grants Wema Bank National License by 2rutalk1: 7:12pm On Nov 19, 2015
WEMA Bank=Microfinance Bank + Bureau De Change

Panasonic 'suspends Transactions' With Huawei After US Ban / How You Can Start A Profitable Yam Frying Business With 20k / A Narrow Escape (ATM Story): Please Read And Be Informed!